Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skillsofts and defaulting.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Phaeton
...I have only one question:

Is it possible to default using Skillsofts? (That is, using a SMG when you only have a pistols Skillsoft)
Game2BHappy
nope.
BitBasher
no, and that is explicitly stated in the rules but I can't provide a quote or page as my books are packed up. moving.
Corywn
I agree with a steadfast "No," but have to wonder:

Is there some option which would allow a skillsoft to permit defaulting? It'd be like DIMAP or something else, perhaps, basically some Fuzzy-logic BS...
Phaeton
QUOTE (Corywn)
I agree with a steadfast "No," but have to wonder:

Is there some option which would allow a skillsoft to permit defaulting? It'd be like DIMAP or something else, perhaps, basically some Fuzzy-logic BS...

What's DIMAP again? question.gif Sorry, I don't have M&M...
Ancient History
No defaulting children. Nada.

Now, if you want to get a multi-slot chipjack and some skillsoft jute-boxes installed in your head, with a utility that lets you switch from one to another at will, that's cool!

...I think I just channeled the spirit of HardC.O.R.P.S. , but I t'ain't'nt sure.
Tanka
Hey, no calling me "child," Neo-A scum. rotfl.gif

Either way, no defaulting. That just allows too much twinkiness.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Ancient History)
No defaulting children. Nada.

Now, if you want to get a multi-slot chipjack and some skillsoft jute-boxes installed in your head, with a utility that lets you switch from one to another at will, that's cool!

...I think I just channeled the spirit of HardC.O.R.P.S. , but I t'ain't'nt sure.

t'ain't'nt? How would you pronounce that? rotfl.gif question.gif
Ancient History
Jes lahk 's spalled.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 24 2003, 12:10 AM)

Clustersofts. Gotta love 'em.
Add in some Optimized Pluscode for some real wiz-bang.

Here's my 'Thief in a Can' special:
Electronics(Security Systems)-3 (O.P. gives it Assist-1 and Pulse-43MP)
Electronics(Security Systems-B/R)-3 (O.P.: Assist-1, Pulse-43MP)
Security Procedures-3 (unoptimized, un-Pluscoded knowsoft - Assist-n/a, Pulse-45MP)

Total memory load: 95MP
Availability: 8/8 days
Cost: 24000 nuyen.gif

Works nicely with Skillwires-3(100MP), CED-3, an Electronics toolkit, and the chipjack of your choice.

Or how about the 'Chia-Pilot'? Built for Federated-Boeing dockworkers who are frequently called upon to operate a number of utility vehicles (tug boats, cargo hovers, shuttle 'copters):
Hovercraft-3 (Assist-3, Pulse-45MP)
Rotor Aircraft-3 (Assist-3, Pulse-45MP)
Motorboat-3 (Assist-3, Pulse-45MP)

Total memory load: 99MP
Availability: 8/8 days
Cost: 9900 nuyen.gif

Throw in a multi-slot chipjack for the dock foreman. This allows him to access linguasofts (to communicate with the various foreign ship captains and crews) and cargo itineraries (datasofts), without having to swapout the piloting chip at an inopportune moment.
mfb
page number on the no-defaulting rule? i don't see it in SR3 under Defaulting, Skillsofts, or Skillwires; nor does it show up in CC.
BitBasher
If I could have given you a page number I would have, but like I said all my books are boxed up because I'm about to move.
Ol' Scratch
As far as I know, there is no such rule denying Skillsoft users the ability to default, nor should there be. Skillsofts "teach" you a skill for all intents and purposes except where specifically stated (ie, overriding any skill you already have and denying you the ability to use dice pools without the DIMAP option). If you slot an Assault Rifles chip and pick up an HK227 SMG, you should be able to use it just fine, albeit with the usual +2 TN modifier, just like someone who really had the skill.
Daishi
I don't know if it comes up in canon, but I would say no. I view skillsofts as being very rigid. You can do whatever is on the chip, but you do not really know the skill. So without having the actual memories involved in the learning of the skill, you lack the dynamic relation necessary to translate what you know to something similar. A skillsoft is an electronic simulation and therefore lacks a human's adaptability.

At least, that's the fluff I'd use to explain it. I've never had a player who's abused skillwires, but I've played a PC who abused skillwires, and I like to keep nice limits on skillsofts. smile.gif
mfb
that really doesn't make a lot of sense. a pistol skillsoft tells you how to fire a pistol; if you pick up a submachinegun, it's still going to work--but it'll have problems because some of its instructions don't apply. that sounds a lot like defaulting to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012