Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Homebrew Cyberware/bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
the_real_elwood
I know there's more potential for useful 'ware out there besides what's listed out in Augmentation. I'm interested in seeing what people have come up with for homebrew cyberware or bioware. Show what you've come up with, and if you've got any ideas for new cyber or bio but haven't statted it out, show that too.
Ol' Scratch
The only item I've come up with in 4th Edition is a revamp of a 3rd Edition implant. It's not the most eloquently written entry ever conceived of by man, but it gets the job done in my games.

Guardian Angel
Essence: 0.5 * Capacity: [3] * Availability: 8F * Cost: 25,000 nuyen

An implanted Savior Medkit (Augmentation pp. 114-115) and Nano-Biomonitor, the Guardian Angel is an expert medical system designed for military applications. It includes a specialized nanohive that maintains the Savior Supplies as well as the Trauma Control System (rating 6) nanoware. When wounded, the Guardian Angel attempts to perform first aid on its owner in addition to stabilizing critical wounds. The Guardian Angel has a Logic rating of 4 and First Aid skill of 6 for purposes of medical care in addition to an extensive medical database equivalent to a rating 5 Medicine Background knowsoft. If a medic attempts to use First Aid on the character use the rules for Teamwork Tests found on SR4 p. 59. The Guardian Angel will always be considered a secondary character for purposes of these tests.
HappyDaze
Nanotrodes
These nanites are purchased in one-use disposable inhalers. The dispenser is linked to the user's PAN just before use and this initiates the linkage to the nanites. Once inhaled, the nanites make their way to the user's brain and begin laying down an interface that functions as an internal trode net allowing DNI interface with the user's PAN. This process takes approximately one hour to form the connections and after one week the nanotrode interface breaks down harmlessly and is eliminated from the body.
Stahlseele
Bioware-Versions of Spurs and Hand-Razors, i had the stats posted up somewhere else on these here boards . . some inventions thread or someing like that

basically, i took the SR3 cyber things and doubled price and switched essence cost to bioindex but halved it . .
so bio spur retractable per arm
Bio-Index: 0,15
Base Price: 23000 Nuyen
Legal Code: 5-F
Street Index: 2
Damage: STR(M)
Availability: 10(meaning, not useable in beginning character under the rules of max avail=
basically as all bioware impossible to detect, aside from being in use, obviously . .
two big drawbacks: if armor bigger than power-niveau, the spur breaks under failure and especially critical failure
and the bio-version can not be removed and dikote'd . .
if you want to have bonelace, you have to get it AFTER the spur.

bio Hand Razors Retract per hand/arm with 5 Fingers(4 Fingers and Thumb)
Bio-Index: 0,10
Base Price: 9000 Nuyen
Legal Code: 5-F
Damage: STR(L)
Availability: 8
basically as all bioware impossible to detect, aside from being in use, obviously . .
two big drawbacks: if armor bigger than power-niveau, the razors break under failure and especially critical failure8
and the bio-version can not be removed and dikote'd . .
also, there's no improved razors for this like there are for the cyber version . .
Earlydawn
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Sep 25 2008, 04:22 PM) *
Nanotrodes
These nanites are purchased in one-use disposable inhalers. The dispenser is linked to the user's PAN just before use and this initiates the linkage to the nanites. Once inhaled, the nanites make their way to the user's brain and begin laying down an interface that functions as an internal trode net allowing DNI interface with the user's PAN. This process takes approximately one hour to form the connections and after one week the nanotrode interface breaks down harmlessly and is eliminated from the body.
Wayyy too awesome. love.gif
Stahlseele
i was toying with those handsnakes of Scorpion from Mortal Combat once, if i get home, i will look up those stats and maybe post them here.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 25 2008, 04:14 PM) *
The only item I've come up with in 4th Edition is a revamp of a 3rd Edition implant. It's not the most eloquently written entry ever conceived of by man, but it gets the job done in my games.

Guardian Angel
Essence: 0.5 * Capacity: [3] * Availability: 8F * Cost: 25,000 nuyen

An implanted Savior Medkit (Augmentation pp. 114-115) and Nano-Biomonitor, the Guardian Angel is an expert medical system designed for military applications. It includes a specialized nanohive that maintains the Savior Supplies as well as the Trauma Control System (rating 6) nanoware. When wounded, the Guardian Angel attempts to perform first aid on its owner in addition to stabilizing critical wounds. The Guardian Angel has a Logic rating of 4 and First Aid skill of 6 for purposes of medical care in addition to an extensive medical database equivalent to a rating 5 Medicine Background knowsoft. If a medic attempts to use First Aid on the character use the rules for Teamwork Tests found on SR4 p. 59. The Guardian Angel will always be considered a secondary character for purposes of these tests.

Now this would become THE upgrade for every runner with a cyberlimb. Hell for only 0.5 Essence, it would be useful to EVERYBODY... including mages.
Captain K
The stats on that thing are pretty unbalanced: the cost for a Nanohive alone (from Augmentation) are Rating x 10,000 nuyen and .5 + (Rating x .025) Essence. And the availability is (Rating x 5).

For something as powerful as that, I'd imagine a cost of 50,000-100,000 nuyen, an availability of 16+, and an Essence cost of 1.5-3 points... but that's just me. nyahnyah.gif
Ol' Scratch
Considering you can do nearly the same thing for a fraction of the cost and for no Essence (Savior Medkit, a Biomonitor, and two Auto-Injectors (filled with Trauma Control System nanites and the Savior Medkit supplies), all of which can be incorporated into your clothing), I think you grossly overvalue such things. The implant I described is basically a condensed and highly specialized combination of those items; essentially a cyberware suite.
WearzManySkins
Here ya go.

CODE
Dragons Eyes 0.2 10 17,000
Thermo/Low Light
Eagles Eyes 0.2 8 17,000
Vision Magnificaton 2/Vision Enhancement
Wendigos Eyes 0.2 10 17,000
Low Light/Vision Enhancement
Owls Eyes 0.2 12 18,000
Low Light/Vision Magnification 2

WMS
Captain K
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 26 2008, 11:02 PM) *
Considering you can do nearly the same thing for a fraction of the cost and for no Essence (Savior Medkit, a Biomonitor, and two Auto-Injectors (filled with Trauma Control System nanites and the Savior Medkit supplies), all of which can be incorporated into your clothing), I think you grossly overvalue such things. The implant I described is basically a condensed and highly specialized combination of those items; essentially a cyberware suite.

I'm just not familiar enough with 4th ed. My natural reaction to an implanted Rating 6 medkit that automatically patches you up was "no way in hell!" but it seems like you're right.
BookWyrm
A while back I remember some magazine article that did a SR version of what's called a Decentralized Heart......
MJBurrage
QUOTE (Captain K @ Sep 27 2008, 12:25 AM) *
I'm just not familiar enough with 4th ed. My natural reaction to an implanted Rating 6 medkit that automatically patches you up was "no way in hell!" but it seems like you're right.
Remember that the Nanohive is a general system that can support any type of Nanoware, while the Dynamic Handprints piece of Nanocybernetics "includes a specialized nanohive, processor, and a small nanite colony" for only 0.2 Essence and Rating×1000¥.

This suggests that a "specialized nanohive" is maybe .1 Essence and Rating×500¥.

Using the Cyberware Suite rules from Augmentation to put together the following:
  • Nano-Biomonitor (0.3, 10,000¥)
  • Trauma Control System (–, R×2,000¥)
  • Savior Medkit (–, 2,000¥)
  • Specialized Nanohive (0.1, R×500¥)
  • And say (0.1, 2,000¥) for implanting the Savior
Gives a total of 0.45 Essence and 24,300¥ (assuming Rating 6).

Ol' Scratch
That's pretty close to what I based my numbers on.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 25 2008, 11:14 PM) *
The Guardian Angel has a Logic rating of 4 and First Aid skill of 6 for purposes of medical care in addition to an extensive medical database equivalent to a rating 5 Medicine Background knowsoft. If a medic attempts to use First Aid on the character use the rules for Teamwork Tests found on SR4 p. 59. The Guardian Angel will always be considered a secondary character for purposes of these tests.

Why? Medkit have rules and a single rating, like everything else, and this would simply be a rating 6 medkit... like the Saviour.
In fact there is no Device at all that has a Logic rating.
QUOTE (Captain K @ Sep 27 2008, 06:25 AM) *

Well, the implant is from 3rd.
BullZeye
The team had an idea for a well concealed weapon but when I gave the prize, they refused

The Throat Snake, 0.5ess 20F 25.000y
A small bio/symbiot snake that lives in throat of a person and when called for during a kiss, the snake lounges out and enters the other persons mouth and heads straight for the heart that it then tears apart. After destroying the heart the snake returns to mouth of the owner and one deadly kiss is delivered.

It's a ripoff from a movie or a book, don't ask which biggrin.gif Too bad the run paid only 20k... biggrin.gif
the_real_elwood
I don't remember the Guardian Angel implant from 3rd ed, but hell, I think that'd be a must-buy for any of the characters I ever play (though my characters tend to get shot at a lot, so YMMV).
Oenone
QUOTE (BullZeye @ Sep 27 2008, 03:57 PM) *
The team had an idea for a well concealed weapon but when I gave the prize, they refused

The Throat Snake, 0.5ess 20F 25.000y
A small bio/symbiot snake that lives in throat of a person and when called for during a kiss, the snake lounges out and enters the other persons mouth and heads straight for the heart that it then tears apart. After destroying the heart the snake returns to mouth of the owner and one deadly kiss is delivered.

It's a ripoff from a movie or a book, don't ask which biggrin.gif Too bad the run paid only 20k... biggrin.gif

Hmm that seems a little bit too obvious for a stealth/concealed weapon. Just to get to the heart it'll need to chew a hole through them, during which time keeping in mouth to mouth contact will be ever so slightly difficult and suspicious.

You'd be better off having an implanted chemical gland producing something which will cause a persons throat to swell up. Causing anyone you kiss to choke to death.
BullZeye
QUOTE (Oenone @ Sep 27 2008, 06:07 PM) *
Hmm that seems a little bit too obvious for a stealth/concealed weapon. Just to get to the heart it'll need to chew a hole through them, during which time keeping in mouth to mouth contact will be ever so slightly difficult and suspicious.

You'd be better off having an implanted chemical gland producing something which will cause a persons throat to swell up. Causing anyone you kiss to choke to death.

Indeed biggrin.gif But it wasn't my idea, just the ruling for the specific item they wanted wobble.gif
sunnyside
Myself I just have more punkish downgrades.

First I use the used/low quality modifier for much of the cyberware NPCs have.

I also allow it to be applied twice for used low quality cyber.

Then on top of that I have a "bulky" option that is another price halver that can only be applied to the low quality type cyber. In this case the cyberware extends beyond the body of the user and is generally much move visible, obvious so people know what you've got, and likely to give social penalties.

You see that stuff in much of the artwork. i.e. cybereyes are supposed to be eye sized and concealed. But in the art they often spill over into much of the face and are totally obvious. GM discretion in each case though.

Added bonus, players have to make money off the Johnson instead of just salvaging some NPCs.
Muspellsheimr
I give you the true Guardian Angel 4th Edition.

QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 29 2008, 06:04 PM) *
QUOTE (Unpublished and Unofficial)

IMPLANTED NANO-MEDKITS
Various corporations have developed and commercialized nano-medkits. These nanocybernetics combine a medkit's diagnosis processor and pharmaceutical dispenser, a specialized nanohive, a nano-biomonitor, and several nanoware systems. The best known models on the market are CrashCart's Med-Alert II and Ares Macrotech's Guardian Angel. The nano-medkit is triggered automatically when the nano-biomonitor detects a potentially dangerous health condition such as injury, infection, or the presence of a toxin.
All nano-medkits include a dermal port from which the system can be resupplied; nano-medkits may also be implanted in cyberlimbs.
Diagnosis, First Aid and Medicine Tests made by the nano-medkit roll only the nano-medkit's Rating.

CrashCart Med-Alert: This functions as an implanted Rating 6 medkit, nano-biomonitor, and a Rating 3 nanohive. The integral nanohive supports Nanosymbiotes, O-Cells, and Universal Nantidotes (all at Rating 4). It also provides a +2 dice pool modifier to Medicine or First Aid Tests to stabilize critical wounds (p. 224, SR4).
Guardian Angel: This mil-tech grade implant is provides all the functions of a Rating 6 medkit, nano-biomonitor, and a Rating 4 nanohive. The nanohive supports 4 medical nanoware systems Nanosymbiotes (or Implant Medics), O-Cells, TCS and Universal Nantidotes (all at Rating 4). It also provides a +2 dice pool modifier to Medicine or First Aid Tests to stabilize critical wounds (p. 224, SR4).

Nanocybernetics Essence Capacity Availability Cost
CrashCart Med-Alert 1.25 [4] 8 75,000
Ares Guardian Angel 1.5 [4] 14R 110,000

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry658677

Edit:
After reviewing the CrashCart description, I believe I found a typo. I think the CrashCart nanoware systems should be Rating 3.
Ol' Scratch
I left the other nanoware out of my conversion because I figured that if you wanted it, you could just use the normal rules for Nanohives to cover it. The Guardian Angel itself was the core system.
KCKitsune
How official is this? Is this allowable in a normal game since Synner is the one who created this?
Muspellsheimr
Until published, this is unofficial. Therefor, it is not allowed in sanctioned (Missions) games. However, it likely will be published as part of the Augmentation eBook addon, once Holostreets is up & running. At that time, it will be officially allowed. Changes may or may not happen to it before its official publication.
Ol' Scratch
Uh, it's from a previous edition and quoted in a thread entitled "Homebrew Cyberware/Bioware." Why on earth would you think it's an official part of 4th Edition? question.gif
Muspellsheimr
It was actually a reasonable question, as the quote is taken from Synner's notes on what was slated for Augmentation, but did not make it into the final printing.

As I said before, however, until published (as opposed to posted), it is unofficial, and thus not allowed in Missions games.
Stahlseele
found the scorpion snakes:
i just about doubled all numbers used in the oral slasher and made them for the arms so:

arm slasher:
Essence: 0.5 per Arm
Base Price: 21.000 nuyen
Legal stays the same so: 6P-Q
Damage: 12M
Reach: 2m
HappyDaze
Just to get to the heart it'll need to chew a hole through them

A transesophogeal path to the heart isn't going to require going through much tissue at all.
KCKitsune
I just wish that a nano-biomonitor was something that you could get with nanites rather than have it as a piece of 'ware, or if it has to be 'ware, then allow it to have a capacity rather than having to take up Essence.
Ol' Scratch
I'd be happy if it were somehow distinguished beyond a normal Biomonitor (aside from being required for Nanohives, which seems to be about the only reason anyone would get one over a Biomonitor; nevermind that I can't figure out why you need a Nano-Biomonitor for that).
masterofm
Munchkin ware - It is not quite cyberware and it's not quite bioware. It takes no essence. It costs 1 nuyen.gif and it gives your character +40 to all your stats, and maxes all of your skills.

It's something you have to freebase though (so nuts to all those people who took the severe allergy - freebasing quality) and it's effects do not ware off.

he he... Oh yeah and it makes you a possession mage magic 40 that can cast all of the spirits and you gain all the adept powers and bla bla bla. You know the drill. One last thing. Only players can get it so that means hands off GM. grinbig.gif
psychophipps
I got my favorite newtek from GURPS, of all places. It's called "Hotshotting" there and it's where you can program people via cyber/bio-ware to enjoy certain activities. Imagine an entire secretarial pool that has a mini-orgasm whenever they dictate a message from their immediate superior or answer their e-mails for them. It can also be used to remove the ability to enjoy certain things or to dramatically increase the pleasure of certain things as a means of controlling people.
Now we get to the fun part. Now imagine if you designed it to be receptive to certain controls via a commlink or other remote device. You could get people to do all sorts of crazy shit because you could make sure that they don't enjoy anything unless they make you happy. Their favorite foods are bland and tasteless. Sex sucks. Your favorite trids are whack. But when you make them happy everything is better than normal. Foods you normally hate are delicious and perfectly textured. Sex is better than ever. You skip your favorite trid because of the other ones are just soo...damn...good!. *pant, shudder, twitch, shudder, pant*

Add the ability to cause mind-rending pain or ultimate pleasure at the flick of the switch and you have you perfect do-...ANYTHING... slave. biggrin.gif

PS: This is *not* the basis for my next game, btw...Honest!
KCKitsune
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Sep 28 2008, 04:05 AM) *
I got my favorite newtek from GURPS, of all places. It's called "Hotshotting" there and it's where you can program people via cyber/bio-ware to enjoy certain activities. Imagine an entire secretarial pool that has a mini-orgasm whenever they dictate a message from their immediate superior or answer their e-mails for them. It can also be used to remove the ability to enjoy certain things or to dramatically increase the pleasure of certain things as a means of controlling people.
Now we get to the fun part. Now imagine if you designed it to be receptive to certain controls via a commlink or other remote device. You could get people to do all sorts of crazy shit because you could make sure that they don't enjoy anything unless they make you happy. Their favorite foods are bland and tasteless. Sex sucks. Your favorite trids are whack. But when you make them happy everything is better than normal. Foods you normally hate are delicious and perfectly textured. Sex is better than ever. You skip your favorite trid because of the other ones are just soo...damn...good!. *pant, shudder, twitch, shudder, pant*

Add the ability to cause mind-rending pain or ultimate pleasure at the flick of the switch and you have you perfect do-...ANYTHING... slave. biggrin.gif

PS: This is *not* the basis for my next game, btw...Honest!

If there was anything in the Shadowrun world that would cause a riot of Apocalyptic proportions THAT would be it.
Ravor
Bah, this isn't any worse than the crops releasing happyjuice in the water cooler and then deducting it from the wageslave's saleries.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 28 2008, 12:18 PM) *
Bah, this isn't any worse than the crops releasing happyjuice in the water cooler and then deducting it from the wageslave's saleries.

Yeah, but with the happy juice in the cooler deal... you can *CHOOSE* not to drink the HappyAid™ and just bring in your own. Hell if the corp doesn't allow you to bring in your own water... get it out of the sink in the bathroom (if you REALLY have to), or just sneak it in.
Ravor
*Shrugs* Its only a choice if the wageslaves know about it, and even then smuggling in your own water is one hell of a risk just to be able to feel the full weight of your crappy life. Being called in by HR in the Sixth World really should be every worker's worse nightmare, because the things they can do to you really are worse than death.
masterofm
Do you really want to drink the water that comes out of the sink? Do you? Do you really? HappyAid ™ might be the same a Brondo the thirst mutilator ™ when it comes to the fact that it is in everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012