Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Effects of minor cosmetic biosculpting?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TeaTime
I'm looking for the RAW for biosculpting, specifically, in-game mechanical effects of the minor cosmetic modification (Augmentation p61).

I've seen the optional ranges under Tweaking the Rules- Cosmetic Surgery (p23) and Bioscuplting Social Effects (p61), but other than trusting the wisdom of my fair and impartial GM, am I missing something definitive for my upcoming prettification surgery?
Muspellsheimr
RAW, minor cosmetic bio sculpting is precisely that - cosmetic.
TeaTime
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Oct 4 2008, 08:23 PM) *
RAW, minor cosmetic bio sculpting is precisely that - cosmetic.

Dang it. I was hoping cosmetic might not just be superficial!
Glyph
The social effects of cosmetic bioware are, by RAW, determined by GM discretion, in much the same way that a vocal range enhancer might give you +1 to social skills and +2 to singing. Your GM could use the optional rule and have it increase Charisma, use the suggestions on the sidebar, or neither.
Cabral
You could try to get some genetherapy to mimic the Glamour Quality ... If the GM allows it for about 450k ...
Snow_Fox
Of course that could be a nice run- finding out if the latest sim starlet has had work and let's get the records.
Karaden
QUOTE (TeaTime @ Oct 4 2008, 09:19 PM) *
I'm looking for the RAW for biosculpting, specifically, in-game mechanical effects of the minor cosmetic modification (Augmentation p61).

I've seen the optional ranges under Tweaking the Rules- Cosmetic Surgery (p23) and Bioscuplting Social Effects (p61), but other than trusting the wisdom of my fair and impartial GM, am I missing something definitive for my upcoming prettification surgery?

Yeah, no, no direct hard written rule bonuses for that. If your GM is nice you may get a bonus to social skills with people who think you are pretty. And if your GM has a brain toumer he may allow your Charisma to go up if you get a really good surgeon.

Other then that, yeah, as others have said, cosmetics are just that, cosmetic.
Mäx
QUOTE (Cabral @ Oct 5 2008, 10:49 AM) *
You could try to get some genetherapy to mimic the Glamour Quality ... If the GM allows it for about 450k ...

IMO Glamour isn't a non-magical metegenetic quality, so you can't get it as a Transgenetic alteration.
Cabral
QUOTE (Mäx @ Oct 5 2008, 11:17 AM) *
IMO Glamour isn't a non-magical metegenetic quality, so you can't get it as a Transgenetic alteration.

Part of the reason a GM might not allow it. It all depends on how far gene-engineered social aptitude can go ... cyber.gif
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Runners Companion p.110)
Non-magical metagenetic qualities that do not have a bioware
or cyberware equivalent may be introduced into the game
via Transgenic Alteration geneware (p. 92, Augmentation) at
the gamemaster’s discretion.

QUOTE (Runners Companion p.113)
A character with Glamour is paranaturally gifted so that all
sapient beings perceive her as moving with unearthly grace, her
countenance as always radiant, and her voice as soul-wrenching
and laden with emotion.

Assuming your game is RAW, no, you can never obtain Glamour through genetics. To do so is to house-rule, & for something that does not make sense.
Janice
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Oct 5 2008, 01:03 PM) *
Assuming your game is RAW, no, you can never obtain Glamour through genetics. To do so is to house-rule, & for something that does not make sense.

It's a metagenetic quality. It's said under SURGE in play that genetic tampering can trigger it. So I don't see how it would be that asinine to allow it.
Muspellsheimr
Key word being trigger, not cause.
Mäx
QUOTE (Janice @ Oct 5 2008, 11:19 PM) *
It's a metagenetic quality. It's said under SURGE in play that genetic tampering can trigger it. So I don't see how it would be that asinine to allow it.

Thats only for Non-magical qualities and Glamour definedly doesn't qualify as one of those.
Janice
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Oct 5 2008, 01:30 PM) *
Key word being trigger, not cause.

Of course, but it does explain how it could be possible for a character that wanted the quality after they already made the character.
Muspellsheimr
No, because by RAW, you must possess the Dormant Metagenics quality for such triggers to have any effect whatsoever - a quality only available during character generation.

Once again, RAW specifically forbids you from taking Glamour as a Transgenic Alteration.
Janice
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Oct 5 2008, 01:36 PM) *
No, because by RAW, you must possess the Dormant Metagenics quality for such triggers to have any effect whatsoever - a quality only available during character generation.

Once again, RAW specifically forbids you from taking Glamour as a Transgenic Alteration.

Who said I was talking about RAW? I was suggesting a potentially viable in-fluff excuse to houserule the acquisition of the quality.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012