Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Napalm.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
shadowfire
What are the rules on napalm- if anywhere in the books?
Ancient History
p.164, Street Magic

Sorry, couldnae resist. Honestly, no. The closest we have to napalm is the good ol' molotov cocktail in Arsenal.
shadowfire
sounds good enough i'll just make the molotov cocktail rules sticky and difficult to remove.
AngelisStorm
Generally when you get napalmed, you die. Burns, no oxygen, etc.

But enough with litteralism. The flamer throwers presumably already use napalm (for that is what flamethrowers use, more or less). If you don't think they do, then just increase the likelyhood of being set on fire, or (closer to the truth) just make them cause continuing damage. Napalm is just sticky fire.

To make poor man's napalm, take large glass container. Fill to top with styrofoam. Then pour gasoline in. The gasoline melts the stryofoam, and makes it goopy and sticky. (Incidently run that through a nice chemical sprayer, with an ignition torch on the end, and have a ball.)
Chrysalis
Gasoline, soap shavings, and apple juice concentrate. Bring to a simmer, but not to a boil.

Place it in a 200 gallon oil drum with 20 kilos of industrial strength chain wound at the bottom. Use a filled oxygen tank with a cutting charge around it. Pop on lid and wait for unsuspecting car to drive past. Allow 2-5 seconds for an explosion and destruction of car.

Napalm will continue to burn unless scraped off. I would rule that it burns for 8(P) for 2d6 rounds. No, you don't get to dodge, but you can make a resistance test.
Mickle5125
should I be worried that you guys know how to make pseudo-napalm?
ludomastro
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Oct 16 2008, 07:04 PM) *

You shouldn't worry any more than I do. wink.gif
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Alex @ Oct 16 2008, 08:12 PM) *
You shouldn't worry any more than I do. wink.gif

So... run around in a gibberish filled panic?
ludomastro
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Oct 16 2008, 07:13 PM) *
So... run around in a gibberish filled panic?

I'm from the middle of nowhere Alabama and grew up on a farm. I thought everyone knew how to do this stuff. So ... feel free to panic, I guess.

grinbig.gif
Chrysalis
I would add the caveat that like all explosives and flammables please do not try making them in the privacy of your own home. Not only do they ruin pots they have a tendency on going horribly wrong.
shadowfire
We were in the middle of the game when the one player wanted to make it and i was working out the price of the supplies to make it with when my wife just came in and told us how easy it was... then finished up by saying that napalm sticks to children before going back to the kitchen to make cookies.

But surprisingly it easily found on the net..
Mickle5125
shadowfire, you have the coolest wife EVER
DTFarstar
Heh, I grew up in mostly middle of nowhere Alabama, too. I can say everyone I know knows the gasoline + styrofoam trick. I hadn't heard the soap shavings and applejuice thing before though. That's pretty cool. I mean, I still think we are all on a government list somewhere, but I rest safe in the knowledge that Frank only had to go to Prauge for medical school, so I shouldn't have any problem in the states right?

Chris
ludomastro
Don't count on it, my friend. Don't count on it.

-----

What part of Alabama DTFarstar?
DTFarstar
Northwest Corner, Florence, if you know where that is.

Chris
ludomastro
Actually I do. I'm from near Tuscaloosa, originally. I have moved several times/states since then.
DTFarstar
I will hopefully be doing that soon. Medical School and all that.

Chris
Method
I would just use the rules for white phosphorus on page 37 of Arsenal without the bit about re-ignition on contact with air.

-------------------------

And you'd be surprised who they let into medical school... vegm.gif <--(Anatomy Book)
Ed_209a
I personally feel more threatened by someone who can tell me _exactly_ how to hit someone with a bat then someone who can tell me _exactly_ how to make bathtub napalm.
shadowfire
personal i would be worried about the guy that could describe in detail the sounds of bones breaking and that wet sticky thuwack sound when you hit people wqith baseball bats.
psychophipps
QUOTE (shadowfire @ Oct 17 2008, 05:35 AM) *
personal i would be worried about the guy that could describe in detail the sounds of bones breaking and that wet sticky thuwack sound when you hit people wqith baseball bats.

Bones breaking sounds like a wet broomstick, actually. Well, the femur does at least. The bat thing you got pretty well down pat.

As for the correct bat hitting thing, it's simple. Mainly, you need to break your wrist down during your stroke for the correct snap at the end and you need to try hit no closer to you than 6 inches (15cm for you metric types) from the head. This wrist break will accelerate the tip of the bat to maximum velocity while still giving you correct grip and arm support and hitting towards the end will put the maximum baseball bat mass into the blow.

Use a chopping motion with only about 6 inches of follow through to minimize the risk of them grabbing it with a miss and start off by choking up towards the top of the hand grip for good initial control and to minimize the risk of breaking the bat with a strike to the head if you get a decent shot early (breaking the bat means that a large part of the energy is transferred into tossing the head of the bat way). I am a strong supporter of limb hits early (especially the arms) as they can open them up for a takedown blow. Once you get them good and dazed, slide your hands to the bottom of the grip and swing for the fences with the ol' Lumberjack Hack.
stormcrow
Add one more (former) Alabama boy to the napalm list.

BTW, Moundville makes a great 4th World site as do the caves near Huntsville.
ludomastro
QUOTE (stormcrow @ Oct 17 2008, 08:25 PM) *
Add one more (former) Alabama boy to the napalm list.

BTW, Moundville makes a great 4th World site as do the caves near Huntsville.

Yes, yes it does. I've been there and I assume you have as well. Where do you suggest it fits into the history?
Karaden
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Oct 16 2008, 08:04 PM) *

Never heard of the 'Anarchist's Cookbook' I assume?

All this and sooooo much more. Including creating your own gunpowder, pike bombs, and all kinds of other crazy stuff. So much knowledge, so many pretty explosives.
Eurotroll
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Oct 17 2008, 03:04 AM) *

Not until we fill said gasoline-styrofoam mix into a specially prepared lightbulb and then lie in wait for the first poor sucker to flip the switch. twirl.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 18 2008, 02:52 PM) *
Never heard of the 'Anarchist's Cookbook' I assume?

also known as darwin award test nr 1...
Fortune
Hello Mr. Homeland Security. wavey.gif
Stahlseele
i think there was the receipt for thermite in the anarchists cookbook too. much more practical and perfect for use WITH napalm too.
ever see something the size of a coin melt through the motor-block of a car? damn impressive i'll say.
i will have to see if i still have my hardcover of that book, else i'll just dig it up on the web
ludomastro
Yeah, I imagine that Homeland Security has tabs on all of us. Anyone here work for the government? Had your Security Clearance revoked recently?
Stahlseele
*shrugs*
Germany may be well on it's way to american paranoia standards, but we're not quite there yet as of now
Muspellsheimr
For those with the Anarchist Cookbook, you may also be interested in The Poor Man's James Bond.
Mickle5125
you know, it's surprisingly hard to get ahold of a copy of the anarchist cookbook around here... Wonder why...

Aww crap. I didn't even think about this when I started my application for security clearance... well poo. T_T
hyzmarca
The anarchist cookbook is mostly crap. Like many similar books, such as Hitman, it was written by a dude with no practical experience and a bare minimum of research.

I'd recommend going with military technical manuals, instead. They are, on a whole, a great deal more reliable.
Zombayz
Ok, before anyone gets themselves killed with that anarchist cookbook crap, just go to http://a0tu.com/ . Yeah, it's down alot, but me and they guys on there can keep you alive, while lettting you enjoy home made explosives
Chrysalis
I have a rule. The higher the explosive content the more dangerous it is to handle, that is why commercial and military RDX is mixed with plasticizers, phlegmatizers or desensitizers to make them more safe.

Silver nitrate, one of the more explosive compounds that you can make at home with common household ingredients, is not only noxious to make it can explode at any number of the production stages.

I recommend leaving explosives making to the professional explosives manufacturers.

Don't trust non-vetted books like the Anarchist Cookbook. Everything about explosives is commonly available at your local library by opening up any industrial chemistry handbook.
Stahlseele
explosives are too crude too.
the burning stuff is nice enough.
it looks really pretty and if you're doing it right, there won't be much of a loud annoying boom ^^
kzt
There was semi-serious joke by a bomb squad guy I heard once. "The critical mass of any homemade explosive is never less than one-half bucket-full."
Stahlseele
there was a serious mistake that i thought was a joke concerning some sort of nuclear failure somewhere in an asian nuclear power plant, where radioactive stuff leaked out because it had reached critical mass or something . . and they shoveled the stuff up, and put ALL of it into a bucket that was about half full, when ALL of it AGAIN reached critical mass, because they had put the same mass together again that went critical in the first place
stormcrow
QUOTE (Alex @ Oct 17 2008, 10:10 PM) *
Yes, yes it does. I've been there and I assume you have as well. Where do you suggest it fits into the history?

For Moundville, i suggest either ancient elven ruins, obsidiman ruins (if you dig the Earthdawn connection), or simply high level old school Native American Indian settlements from the age of high magic (ie. off the euromyth path entirely.)

As for the tunnel systems near Huntsville, iirc, they are too young for 4th world, so i suggest new dwarven settlements.

Just my $0.02. Long live Hurricane Creek!
AngelisStorm
Like the other folks mentioned, don't use the anarchist cookbook. It's dangerious, and the guy who wrote it made up something like a 1/3 of the info in the book (like just plain made it up).

It's really sad, but after watching our military gear blow up so often during the initial occupation, at least it proves the info in the "Big Brother is going to come get us, here is how to disable his toys" books is actually correct (and works).

Incidently, the napalm is useful because you can use it to stop alot of military equipment. If you deprive the engine of oxygen, it dies. (However, remember the old advice: never stand next to the guy with the napalm. People try to shoot him.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012