Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are you a runner?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DocTaotsu
Hell yes, world class sexual techniques... now that's a guy I can get behind.
*Awkward Pause*

That... that came out wrong didn't it?
Karaden
Cool stuff. Obviously someone has read too much Kama Sutra or something.

Edit: No positive/negative qualities?
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 23 2008, 10:22 PM) *
Cool stuff. Obviously someone has read too much Kama Sutra or something.

Edit: No positive/negative qualities?

Hmm,lets see.

Pos+

First impression 5
Home Ground 10

Neg-

Addiction,severe (watchagot) (bought off with karma 10 years ago, still paying on it every day) grinbig.gif
Karaden
watchagot?
kanislatrans
grinbig.gif as in "What's you drug of choice?" " I dunno, What cha Got?" grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
Chrysalis
You know I was going to post something, but reading this thread got all the fun sucked out of it. I haven't so many dicks being waved around since a circle-jerk.

-Chrysalis
Karaden
Learn something new every day and I'm only 2 minutes in.
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Oct 23 2008, 11:02 PM) *
You know I was going to post something, but reading this thread got all the fun sucked out of it. I haven't so many dicks being waved around since a circle-jerk.

-Chrysalis

wow... I don't know if I'd put it quite that way, but... yeah. SR Mickle's not going to be making a showing this time, either.
Karaden
Sorry all the arguing did that. 'fraid I didn't help by continuing it.
kanislatrans
I apologize if any of the disappointment was caused by me,Crysalis and Mickle.

The sexual techniques at 6 was an attempt at humor. I was hoping to lighten things up a bit as tempers were getting a little volatile.

Shiloh
QUOTE (Rayzorblades @ Oct 24 2008, 01:03 AM) *
Can I ask why? They're my immediate family mostly and we're really tight. Norman Rockwell childhood and all that.

I think because their connection ratings at 6 would put them *all* as international movers and shakers in their field, with fingers in many pies. Now that may be the case but it looked a bit like you'd confused loyalty ("They'll do anything for me; we're a tight family,") with connections ("My mom will have a word with the electrician union boss and have him get a Union member to go sick for you to take his place on the night shift"). I'm not even sure a massage therapist can have connnections 6, however neat a gal she is and how worthwhile her vocation... Maybe if she's the President's massage therapist. Wasn't one of the recent US presidents mixed up with Astrology or something?

Or maybe it's me that's got it mixed up.
TKDNinjaInBlack
I've got an idea. If you feel like you are going to need justification for a skill, give a little disclaimer next to it to explain why you think so. I for one am in favor of finding out people's backgrounds and past experiences because that only gives detail into their personal character and helps better understand why they think the way they do.

Likewise if it's a joke... give a little warning.

On another note. Here's me. IRL

*edit* organized the stats a bit better like some later posters and added some more background justifications (because I am actually really enjoying finding out people's backgrounds and what makes them up as a person). I also did math to figure out how many BP I am worth as a person...

[ Spoiler ]
crash2029
Cody IRL

[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
Well, here's a shot at it:

Peter IRL

[ Spoiler ]

Peter

Rayzorblades
I added little tags to justify mine.
Medicineman
@Karaden
I similarly doubt we have any pro athletes, special forces people, published scientists, or stunt drivers out there.
I happen to know that some of the Guys in German Forums do have at least a few Skills with a ranking of 5 according to the BBB.
There are some Special Forces People ,Athletes and published Scientists out there Posting in our
Forums

Hough !
Medicineman
Cain
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Oct 24 2008, 09:48 PM) *
@Karaden
I similarly doubt we have any pro athletes, special forces people, published scientists, or stunt drivers out there.

Technically, I'm a published scientist. I actually did some significant work on a published psychology project. Since I wasn't one of the professors, though, I ended up getting only junior writing credit. mad.gif

Bitter? Me? Nah..... sarcastic.gif
Method
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 23 2008, 01:03 PM) *

You would be surprised what kind of people we get around here, man.
DTFarstar
You did better than me, Cain, I consulted heavily on a project on and off for a year or so and provided them with the major theory inherent in the paper, but recieved 0 credit for my work because I wasn't part of the "original" team(I came in after they started gathering data about a month into the project). So.... yay me! But, it was published and it was my analysis.

Chris
Arashi
This thread definitely sparked quite a bit of thinking in myself... Mostly about the plausible real world value of a LOT of skills in the 2-3 range combined with good attributes. I began to feel like a watered-down version of that Mr. Lucky as I thought about this during dinner at work. Also, about the supposition that there aren't any professional athletes on Dumpshock (I'm a professional competitive ballroom & latin dancer).

The way I run SR4 is with the skill rating +1 being the limit on successes, and I think that is why I chose the ratings I did - based on levels of accomplishment I have or have not reached. I only have 1 skill at 5, which was disappointing. Well, here goes...

[ Spoiler ]

Well, that was fun. Of course, for what I do for a living, I'd love to be 'reborn'/awakened as an adept...

Take care all.
Lionhearted
Oh I'd really want to make myself with 4ed rules, but I wouldnt know how to sum up my extreme diversity of knowledge skills.. most of them rather useless to boot..

Someone said that most people couldnt picture how different their lives would be if they was awakened/meta/techno/SURGE'd I think the main difference for me is that things actually would go *FOOF!* when I imagined fireballs forming in my hands (Yes I am a romantic, and a hopeless dreamer.. )
AngelisStorm
Huh. To stat myself, I would need a new positive quality allowing edge to refresh more often then it normally should. Then it would nicely match my "Bad Luck" negative quality. *smirk*

We need some pagans (or voodoo folks) who will fess up to their decent ritual magic and conjuring skills. (I'm with the person who posted "won't admit it if I have it" though.)
kanislatrans
edited version for clarity and fluff..

[ Spoiler ]

@AngelisStorm: Fessin' up... but last post I saw sometime ago dealing with "Magic" in the here and now ended up in science vs religion debate so I just stuck it under Knowledge:Occult to be safe.
Arashi
Since I feel so silly being the only one who doesn't know how to add it in - how do you do the "Spoiler" box so I don't take up so much space w/these posts? I tried the "insert special item" menu but the selections don't work.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Method
You type {spoiler}as;lkdjfa;lskjdf;alksjdf{/spoil} only using the [] square brackets instead of {}.

[ Spoiler ]
AngelisStorm
*laughs* That's awsome kanislatrans. Thanks. I can see what you mean though, with the religion vs. science debate. It can just get silly sometimes.
Trobon
Well, well. This is an interesting topic. Not even counting the whole arguments back and forth that, in the end, accomplished little. The question in my mind is how does one really go about determining certain attributes and skills. Certainly, skills are easier as they have guidelines, but other things are not so easy. What is my Logic and how is that determined? Is it mearly based off of my IQ or is it more than that? How does one measure Charisma versus social skills and how can you give a number to intuition? My fear aside I will try and give this a shot using the techniques I know.

Total: 308 BP spent ((Street Level or Lower Runner))

STR: 3
BOD: 2
AGI: 2
REA: 3
INT: 4
LOG: 5
CHA: 4
WIL: 3

EDGE: 4

((So I've spent 200 BP total on attributes including the 20 on edge)

Analytical Mind
Trust Fund (10 BP version)
Technomancer.... I mean... grinbig.gif
SINer
Bipolar
Matrix Junkie (5 BP version)

((Net of 5 BP bonus for me))

Contacts: (Loyalty/Connection) [I used immediate connections only and based it off of Friend of a friend possibility]
Mother (6/1)
Father (6/3)
Girlfriend (6/3)
Best Friend (4/1)

((Net of 30 BP spent))

Skills:
Influence Skill Group 2
Hardware 1
Software 3
Computers 3
Data Search 2
Blades (Swords) 1 (3)
Dodge (Melee) 1(3)
Perception 2
First Aid 1

((80 BP))

Knowledge Skills:
English N
Spanish 1
Matrix Theory (AI) 2(4)
RPGs 3
Physics 3
Mathematics 3
Chemistry 2
Biology 2
History (Scientific) 1(3)
Local Knowledge/Seattle 3
Matrix Games 1

((23/27 Free Knowledge BP spent))

Equipment: ((Spent maybe 3 points total on equipment depending on how much comes with the medium lifestyle I currently enjoy))
TKDNinjaInBlack
QUOTE (Trobon @ Oct 26 2008, 02:01 PM) *
Well, well. This is an interesting topic. Not even counting the whole arguments back and forth that, in the end, accomplished little. The question in my mind is how does one really go about determining certain attributes and skills. Certainly, skills are easier as they have guidelines, but other things are not so easy. What is my Logic and how is that determined? Is it mearly based off of my IQ or is it more than that? How does one measure Charisma versus social skills and how can you give a number to intuition?

Well, in the core book on page 62 there is a handy table to let you know how attribute ratings stack up against each other.

talking about Logic, IQ would be a good representation of mental abilities (which is more or less your logic attribute), so someone with a standard 100 wold be rt.3, over that a rating 4, a certifiable MENSA candidate a 5 and a well known Scientist or genius in a field being 6. World renowned intellectual individuals like Einstein would probably even surpass that and be something comparable to the legendary skill equivalent and have a rating of 7.

Oh, and I went back and cleaned my stats up a bit (organized things a bit more like some of the later posters).
kanislatrans
Ok, I'm still trying to find time to write up the 400bp kanis ,the shadowrunner character.

but I went back and read over everyone else's post of themselves and then the original post and something occurred to me.

As a group, we may not be prime runners, but I am seeing a lot of skills that would at least let us survive long enough to head in that direction. In all actuality,I think we would fare better than most grunts and gangers. Sure we don't have the cyber and magic, but the we would have the skills to off set that.

The skill sets for what most of us have picked up in RL are better balanced and spread more evenly than the majority of the characters I have seen or played. Going through the back posts I find a samurai, a hacker/demolitions spec.,a covert ops spec., a rigger, a hermetic mage,a face,a technomancer grinbig.gif,and a Coyote shaman with a reeaally bad sense of humor grinbig.gif grinbig.gif

One thing that sticks out for me is the common thread of Tech skills and Weapon skills. Is some unseen force shaping us for the future? I roll my Intuition 4 + conspiracy theories 3 + a point of edge for exploding 6's =11 dice and get 8 successes.( Yes, there is an unseen force guiding us. Yes, I know what that force is. No, I won't tell you cause your probably in on the evil plot. grinbig.gif grinbig.gif )

pbangarth
The sample from which you are drawing is skewed, because people interested in Shadowrun would tend to be at least interested in, and more likely to possess, tech and weapons skills. So the fact that we describe ourselves as having a set of skills that might survive in a shadowy future may simply represent the fact that the small percentage of people like us found a venue to meet, rather than the fact that people are tending in general to be tech/weapon afficionados.

Peter

P.S. Or... Shadowrun was placed in our time/location by people/aliens from the future to select candidates for their arenas.
Cthulhudreams
Many of us would have skills of 5 or 6. A phd is 6, a masters is 5 and a bachelors is 4 right?

I would have a considerable body of skills at the 4 and 5 mark as a result, and I imagine that most people here would too!

But we are going to be very heavily stacked towards knowledge skills rather than combat skills.

Anyone who's done an IT degree and then worked in computer security is going to get the biggest free ride.

4 points in the computer group and 4 points in the entire hacking skill group? Nice. Whereas if you did accounting, you don't get anything close to that.
TKDNinjaInBlack
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Oct 31 2008, 11:40 PM) *
The skill sets for what most of us have picked up in RL are better balanced and spread more evenly than the majority of the characters I have seen or played. Going through the back posts I find a samurai, a hacker/demolitions spec.,a covert ops spec., a rigger, a hermetic mage,a face,a technomancer grinbig.gif,and a Coyote shaman with a reeaally bad sense of humor grinbig.gif grinbig.gif

Go ahead and be awesome by listing which posters fit with which roles.
Tachi
I started lurking here about 2 weeks ago (recon is important), but I've only been posting a few days. I've never really introduced myself to you folks, however this seemed to be a great place to do it. BTW, this is still incomplete so I'll likely make adjustments as time goes by.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012