Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magical Lodges and learning spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sceptic
The Force of a lodge must be at least equal to the skill rating being learned or the force of a spell being cast (in the case of Ritual Spellcasting) or learned. -- SR4 p168

The problem is that spells aren't learned at a force anymore. So what force of magical lodge is required to learn a spell in fourth edition?
WeaverMount
RAW doesn't state, just "a lodge" so rating 1 would cut it.
AllTheNothing
In my hopinion lodge should be a place of power tied to a magician or group of magicians that grants bonuses to magical activity that takes place inside, I meen why should my ability to learn be tied to a place? I can untherstand the need of a lodge for ritual sorcery but learning a spell or improving a skill? Come on, its burdening the magician (forcing him/her to "make roots" in a place) without any logical reason.
Tarantula
Lodges only take a couple hours to setup, and you can take them down almost instantly.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Oct 30 2008, 08:51 PM) *
Lodges only take a couple hours to setup, and you can take them down almost instantly.

I think I've missed the part about taking them down, any hint on where to look?
AllTheNothing
And yeah I forgot to mention that I still dislike the notion of needing a lodge to improve the skills.
WeaverMount
It actually makes a lot of sense. Every RL tradition I know of takes GREAT care to create a clean safe space when doing anything like adding to or editing there person. Also it you need ways to hurt PCs to tell good stories.
Ravor
I don't know, personally I require characters to have access to a target range to improve there shooting and sparing partners to improve hand-to-hand skills, so having access to their libary of books, charms, ect that fits with their style of magic makes sense to me if someone wishes to improve her magical skills.
Zaranthan
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Oct 30 2008, 04:30 PM) *
I think I've missed the part about taking them down, any hint on where to look?

QUOTE ('BBB @ p168: the last paragraph of the section on Magical Lodges')
Lodges can be established almost anywhere. While the
contents of a lodge can be moved, lodges are not portable: a
lodge cannot be carried around on one’s person while activated.
It is an Awakened place, more than the sum of the objects it
contains. When a lodge is moved, it must be set up again in
order to be used, requiring a new activation ritual.

So, you pick up the physical materials and pack them into moving boxes like the rest of your furniture. The ritual is to set them up, not take them down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012