Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyber Zombies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WeaverMount
So cyber zombies are automatically given an untyped magic stat of 1 (untyped as in not magician, adept, etc). While this magic score is not reduced by essence loss, the cyber zombie dies if they loose this 1 magic. Combine the fact that cyberzombies to instantly haze themselves to death and the fact that the haze is called a domain, I think that it would actually raise there magic score per the normal domain rules. Question is there anything they can do with this magic score?

just to stoke this fire a little more. The whole cyber litch thing is pretty darned RAW
If the character already possessed a Magic attribute, it is permanently
reduced to 1

So a magician could still cast all be it poorly. And an adept could squeeze out 2 PPs from the reduced score and the one initiation.

now if only they weren't worthless to start with
Neraph
What they can do is be a magician before they Cyber-Zombie-ize, because it specifically states that if they have a magic rating already, it's reset to 1.

And just because it's reset doesn't mean they can't raise it per Initiation.

Also, don't forget that their magic doesn't drop to 0 through implants. Essence Drain will still kill them, and if the essence loss didn't kill them, the magic point loss resulting would.

But mainly, that one point of Magic was because Cyber Zombies can Astrally Percieve and can take part in Astral Combat.

And yes, their Astral Hazing is (completely by the rules) aspected to themselves, not their tradition. Specifically only to themselves.

All you really need to do with a cyberzombie is gurantee a 20 karma gain every month, and you'll never die. Eventually that monthly crazie-test they have to make will get into the double/triple/quadrupil digits, so they'll fail. However, if they fail they only get 10 BP of negative qualities. Make 20 karma and buy them off.
Fortune
Anyone with a natural maximum Magic Rating of 1 is limited to one Grade of Initiation in total, and consequently a final Magic Attribute of 2.
Tarantula
Arguably, it says permanently reduces to 1. So, even if you initiate, because you are a cyberzombie, the max magic you can ever have is 1.
CoyoteNZ
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Nov 10 2008, 09:35 PM) *
So cyber zombies are automatically given an untyped magic stat of 1 (untyped as in not magician, adept, etc). While this magic score is not reduced by essence loss, the cyber zombie dies if they loose this 1 magic.

I haven't read the section, just this post, but does this mean that ZAP, a Force 1 Mana Static spell would kill them?

Max,
Dunedin, NZ
Hagga
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Nov 10 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Anyone with a natural maximum Magic Rating of 1 is limited to one Grade of Initiation in total, and consequently a final Magic Attribute of 2.

I, wait, what? Since when did natural maximum limit initiations?
Cthulhudreams
Frank stated in the first cyberzombie thread that you were stuck with the orginal magic score of 1, but could initate twice.

Is that true? Beats me!
Fortune
QUOTE (BBB pg. 189)
A character’s initiate grade cannot exceed her Magic attribute. If a character’s Magic is reduced below her initiate grade, she loses that level of initiation and the metamagic she gained with it.

QUOTE (BBB pg. 189)
An initiate’s natural maximum for the Magic attribute is 6 + her grade of initiation.

There's another quote around that goes along with these, clarifying things even more, but I can't find it right now.
Hagga
Ahh. I was thinking I'd somehow missed another limitation on the magical strength of metahumans.

All hail our scaly overlords.
Jaid
actually, that is only true for cyberzombies (who have their magic attribute *permanently* reduced to 1). a normal magician with magic 1 can initiate once, raise magic to 2, initiate again (since magic attribute is now 2, the character can initiate twice), raise magic, initiate, raise magic, initiate, etc.

a cyberzombie would be limited to one initiation, but could know as many as 2 metamagic techniques (one from initiation, one from spending 15 karma). perhaps that's what frank was saying?
Hagga
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 11 2008, 06:49 AM) *
actually, that is only true for cyberzombies (who have their magic attribute *permanently* reduced to 1). a normal magician with magic 1 can initiate once, raise magic to 2, initiate again (since magic attribute is now 2, the character can initiate twice), raise magic, initiate, raise magic, initiate, etc.

a cyberzombie would be limited to one initiation, but could know as many as 2 metamagic techniques (one from initiation, one from spending 15 karma). perhaps that's what frank was saying?

Yes. It was made abundantly clear that it was only for cyberzombies. I'd forgotten about that little rule on initiation grades and the magic attribute to prevent people from initiating a billion trillion times and having a magic attribute of one, just for giggles. Said Cyberzombie could initiate, and learn a metamagic from that, and from the karma, but that's it.

Wether his astral hazing let him bond foci for added power is another matter entirely. Probably, but there might be some creepy quality of it given the fact that his spirit is caged into his body. Or wether the magic attribute comes from the cybermantic ritual in the case of the previously awakened and isn't able to be used for casting, too.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 11 2008, 12:49 AM) *

Sounds right actually. Cannot find the thread with a curosry search.

Sceptic
QUOTE (CoyoteNZ @ Nov 11 2008, 01:38 PM) *
I haven't read the section, just this post, but does this mean that ZAP, a Force 1 Mana Static spell would kill them?

Nope. They're a walking area of background count aspected to themselves. I'm not sure if even a high force mana static would impact them at all, beyond perhaps astral visibility modifiers.
Stahlseele
what about cleansing?
wasn't there a metatech like this that allowed to get rid of background count?
ok, it's stationary again . .
streetangelj
Actually, by the new method a former Adept cyberzombie could be ultra scary. All the 'ware, 3 points of Adept powers (2 from Magic and one from Initiating in place of a metamagic technique), and one metamagic technique (15 karma). Evil villian NPC I must go make now...
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (CoyoteNZ @ Nov 11 2008, 01:38 AM) *

Max,
Dunedin, NZ

Spirits are disrupted by background count higher than their force bacause it prevent them from having a form in the gaiasphere so sending back wher they come from (in a messy way too), Cyberzombies would suffer just a penality unless they step into a manawarp, is a Mana Static of force greater than 6 considered a manawarp?
Stahlseele
would not the mana static at force one just fizzle in the cyberzombies own background count?
and isn't the cyberzombies background count equal to his negative essence? so at -3,5 Essence he'd have an background count of 3?
Tarantula
The cyberzombies hazing overrides any ambient background counts in the area. It is always a rating 4.
masterofm
If cyber zombies could summon spirits, what would they look like?
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 11 2008, 06:15 PM) *
would not the mana static at force one just fizzle in the cyberzombies own background count?
and isn't the cyberzombies background count equal to his negative essence? so at -3,5 Essence he'd have an background count of 3?

At force 1 probably, but if the manastatic has higher force than the CZ's hazing it wouldn't fizzle. Yet CZ are damn hard to take down with just about anything anything, probably the best bet is FAB III (do astral hazing impose penalities to FAB?).
Cthulhudreams
The cyberzombies background count of his essence score overrides all other background counts. So if you take him out to *space* the background count is whatever his is, not whatever manaebb space runs.

So mana static does fuck all.
WeaverMount
Most any optimized 400bp mage can drop a CZ. Astral ranged attacks win them really hard. Stun ball/bolt + astral projection = easy kill.
Synner
Keep in mind that cyberzombies benefit from their personal domains/astral hazing reducing the effect of incoming magic.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Synner @ Nov 12 2008, 07:47 AM) *
Keep in mind that cyberzombies benefit from their personal domains/astral hazing reducing the effect of incoming magic.

Would you make an official statement on if a cyberzombie magician with geomancy is able to attune the domain caused by astral hazing to be beneficial to himself?
Stahlseele
or if a usual mage with the astral hazing "negative" quality can do that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012