Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Digital Grimoire Now Available!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Cabral
I seem to recall a bookstore (Barnes &Nobles?) having an in-store eBook to print shop at the beginning of the PDF/eBook movement. It would be nifty if there was a way to implement this at the brick&mortars. Considering that service is no longer around to my knowledge, I don't think it's likely to happen.

Still, maybe a way for the shops to sell the DriveThruRPG and BattleShop gift cards (similar to MMO Game Cards) ... ah well.
Drogos
Ok, this may just be me, but is it a typo that all the traditions are intuition based? I would have thought that one of them would have been different. Not that I mind, because I love me some more intuition based traditions. But that and the fact that they are all possession traditions struck me as an error. Of course, what the hell do I know silly.gif

Still digesting after the purchase last night. I think I'm going to enjoy it, but I'll post my full review on battlecorp.
crizh
Is it just me or is denying Psionics the ability to prepare Vessels a bit of a Random Nerf?

Surely the author didn't lack the creativity to come up with a fluff explanation like he did for foci?

Is a Psionic flavour to magic so badly in need of nerfing compared to every other tradition?

[I suppose my 'Wraithlord' Walker Drone will have to remain a house-rule...]
Dr Funfrock
It's a posession tradition with Task spirits. Trust me, Psionics is in no way underpowered.
crizh
QUOTE (Dr Funfrock @ Nov 19 2008, 05:07 PM) *
It's a posession tradition with Task spirits. Trust me, Psionics is in no way underpowered.

Neither is Voodoo. I don't see any random mechanical Nerfs there despite it being the worst offender in the book.
Synner
QUOTE (crizh @ Nov 19 2008, 01:12 PM) *
Is it just me or is denying Psionics the ability to prepare Vessels a bit of a Random Nerf?

It was a difficult call, but to be honest I couldn't unearth a reasonable New Agey equivalent of vessel preparation (using Enchanting) that would sit well with the Psionics paradigm as a parapsychological mental talent (the closest I got was Reiki or Do-in style attunement, or Buddhist meditational practices that opened up a body to mental channeling—but they were all a stretch for use of Enchanting which is the main hurdle here and would require a rules exception I'd rather avoid). Comparatively, crystal power was an easy fit for foci.
crizh
Have you read any of MZB's Darkover stuff? There's a strongly mystical flavour to Psionics there. I was thinking that there is an almost exact corollary with the gemstones used in Eldar Wraithlords in 40k. By installing special 'Psionic' crystals in the object you wish to animate the 'spirit' would have a substrate to imprint itself on.

Animate possession is a bit more hairy. I'd go with some sort of hypnosis or subconscious alteration to prepare the host mind to make room for and support the new one.
Method
I am working on an Egyptian heka but I ran into an snag- I want to give her Osiris (Dark King) for a mentor spirit (per the rules in Street Magic), which grants a bonus to summoning Spirits of Man. Problem is, the Egyptian Tradition presented in Digital Grimoire doesn't list Spirits of Man as a option. I'd never considered this before, but can a magian summon a spirit other than those associated with his/her tradition? Page 169 of the BBB says "Each tradition can master five types of spirits", which would seem to imply they can not. Am I just screwed then?
hobgoblin
pop one kind of spirit out, slot another one in.

the number of gods that the egyptians operated with makes having a one size fits all setup more or less impossible, imo.
GreyBrother
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 20 2008, 07:08 AM) *
I am working on an Egyptian heka but I ran into an snag- I want to give her Osiris (Dark King) for a mentor spirit (per the rules in Street Magic), which grants a bonus to summoning Spirits of Man. Problem is, the Egyptian Tradition presented in Digital Grimoire doesn't list Spirits of Man as a option. I'd never considered this before, but can a magian summon a spirit other than those associated with his/her tradition? Page 169 of the BBB says "Each tradition can master five types of spirits", which would seem to imply they can not. Am I just screwed then?

You can explain it with a different outlook in the Tradition. I always do that with the more mystical Traditions. Some of my Shamans don't have Fire Spirits, but Guidance Spirits or Guardian. Remember, a Tradition is a lot of customs of many different people.
Tyro
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Nov 15 2008, 08:34 PM) *
Am I the first poster to have noticed the False Impression/Manascape spell, DG 17? Manascape is an area effect illusion spell that allows the caster to change the information gleaned in the target's assessing tests. For example, no, she's not a magician. No, that's a health focus, not a power focus.

In other words, assessing, previously the Finder Of All Truth, just became...unreliable.

<snip>

I know I'm rezzing here, but the thread in question isn't that old. Nobody answered this poster, and I also wondered about this spell. The description for this spell says it can "change the impressions gained from Assensing... other magical senses." Does this mean you could hide the presence of an active focus, or make yourself look mundane without Masking? Or does it just mean you can make a Magician look like an Adept, make an Awakened or focus look less powerful, and/or make a focus look like another type of focus? If it's basically Astral Mask, then it should be able to make your aura look mundane, but what about foci? That's more like astral invisibility. And I want to be able hide or tone down my foci.

Oh, and one more thing... can this fool wards like Masking does?
Ancient History
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 3 2009, 01:55 AM) *
I know I'm rezzing here, but the thread in question isn't that old. Nobody answered this poster, and I also wondered about this spell.

Covered elsewhere at roughly the same time.

Long story short: not as powerful or versatile as Masking, and the sustained spell itself would tend to give a clue. No, it can't fool a ward.
Tyro
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 2 2009, 06:12 PM) *
Covered elsewhere at roughly the same time.

Long story short: not as powerful or versatile as Masking, and the sustained spell itself would tend to give a clue. No, it can't fool a ward.

My thanks, AH smile.gif
JFixer
QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 18 2008, 06:03 PM) *
If you *only* want stuff from Catalyst, then a gift certificate on the BattleShop will do the same thing -- and you can use it on our printed books, too.

Will you mail it to me in Australia so I don't have to pay upwards of 80$ a book? ;D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012