Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Retro One-Shot Adventure
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Malachi
I have an interesting situation: I have a small group of veteran SR players that don't want to commit to a whole new SR4 campaign but would be willing to run a one-shot adventure. I was thinking it would be neat to go back and dig up one of the old classic SR2 or SR1 adventures, convert it, and run that for them. So, those of you who've been around SR for that long, what are some of your favorite old adventures that you would recommend? Queen Euphoria? Mercurial?
Fortune
Ivy and Chrome!
imperialus
Dark Angel
crash2029
I have to admit, my favorite module is Dreamchipper.
Ryu
The "assault on the mountain fortress" part of Harlequin (We´ll start playing Harlequin adopted for SR4 a few hours from now, and I get to play. Call me biased.).
fistandantilus4.0
EyeWitness is a good one that hits a lot of the SR high points, as long as you can avoid the canned text. But that's kind of universal.
MaxMahem
I second Fortunes recommendation for Ivy and Chrome. I have also enjoyed umm... Fallen Idol? I think? Queen Euphoria is pretty good as well.
Cain
QUOTE (MaxMahem @ Nov 28 2008, 10:57 PM) *
I second Fortunes recommendation for Ivy and Chrome. I have also enjoyed umm... Fallen Idol? I think? Queen Euphoria is pretty good as well.

I think you mean Bottled Demon. The one with the uber-spirit, right?
Fortune
Dragon Hunt would also be a good one-shot.
Larsine
My favoirute SR adventure is Missing Blood from Universal Brotherhood, which I have used to introduce players to all editions of ShadowRun incl. 4th edition.

If I was going to play something else from the earlier days of SR it would be Harlequin.

Lars
Critias
I've always been a fan of Dragon Hunt.
Adarael
Double Exposure.

In fact, I *do* run this as a retro one-shot every now and again, when there are players new to the game world.
Wesley Street
Elven Fire!
Malachi
Hmmm... lots of suggestions, that's good. So, to help me make a decision, could you all give a short summary as to why you liked the adventure so much?
Ryu
"Assault on the Mountain Fortress" (can´t read that book right now, we did Sylvan Information System this afternoon): The beautiful scenery, the effects of weather and terrain, a strong mythical aspect, VERY variable in believable "table ratings", can be run as mostly social or mostly combat adventure.
crash2029
Dreamchipper: Personafix run amok. A couple of great fights. A barfight with automatic weaponry. Infiltrating a high society shindig. The possibility for some cool contacts. You get to see what Governor-emeritus Strouthers used to do for a living. The piece-de-resistance... you get to stop Jack the Ripper!
Wesley Street
Elven Fire combines detective work, the Yakuza, a Tir Taringirie government conspiracy, and massive gang violence into one nifty little package. Plus, if the runners fail in their job the streets of Seattle are flooded with Metroplex guardsmen. Try doing a courier job when you've got tanks and armed soldiers parked on every corner.
Method
Man, I had forgotten how fun some of these old adventures were.

What edition to you plan on using? What year are you setting the adventure in?

Interestingly, if you plan on updating them to SR4 you might find that the current rule set supports them better than the edition they were printed under. For example, when Bottled Demon came out there weren't any rules for addiction, much less focus addiction. And Eye Witness features a tomb spirit, which was an anomaly at the time, but is pretty strait forward now-a-days (I'd stat him as a free spirit of man, but YMMV). Either of those adventures would be good choices. DNA-DOA might also be really fun with all the new bioware and geneware rules available.

If you are updating the run to 2070 you might want to avoid certain runs that are heavily dependent on the SR timeline (unless of coarse your group disregards the canon timeline all together).
Malachi
It's highly unlikely this will be any more than a one-off adventure so I'm concerned about timeline issues at all. I'll either take the run and drop its events into 2070 or just take all the rules, equipment, etc from SR4 and drop them into whatever time the run sits in.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 29 2008, 03:55 AM) *
I've always been a fan of Dragon Hunt.

Why do you two elves always bandy together? biggrin.gif

Dragon Hunt was no good. You do all this work only to find out the dragon's cut his own deal. Talk about a tail chaser. It's great as long as you're not a hapless PC wondering what the hell he just wasted his time doing.
Critias
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Nov 30 2008, 11:17 PM) *
Why do you two elves always bandy together? biggrin.gif

Dragon Hunt was no good. You do all this work only to find out the dragon's cut his own deal. Talk about a tail chaser. It's great as long as you're not a hapless PC wondering what the hell he just wasted his time doing.

That's part of why I'm a fan of it. Sometimes life just ain't fair in the Shadows. grinbig.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Figures
thepatriot
I was always a fan of the Simsense adventures, ezpecially 2XS. They never go out of style... and especially with the recent advances in Matrix technology... well... let's just say it could get real interesting real quick when people can jack into someone else's BTL fix.
The Jake
I am a big fan of Missing Blood for a one off adventure although I do have fond memories of Double Exposure, Dreamchipper and Elven Fire.

Everything else requires multiple sessions.

Damn I wish they'd pump out more adventure books. frown.gif
Wesley Street
QUOTE (The Jake @ Dec 2 2008, 05:08 PM) *
Damn I wish they'd pump out more adventure books. frown.gif

Ditto. If they sold new canned adventures as $10-12 eBooks, Catalyst would probably turn a profit by cutting out the middle man and print costs. I know they're eventually going to sell the New York Missions modules as $5 downloads but those things are too short; good for maybe 8 hours of play a piece, though you can certainly string them together. At any rate, I got 20+ hours out of Elven Fire.
Malachi
Well, I stopped by my local store and they had a copy of Queen Euphoria for $10, so I picked it up. Does anyone have any good advice/stories from running this one?
cryptoknight
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Nov 28 2008, 06:26 PM) *
I have to admit, my favorite module is Dreamchipper.

This would also get my vote... this or... Missing Blood.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Dec 3 2008, 08:41 AM) *
Ditto. If they sold new canned adventures as $10-12 eBooks, Catalyst would probably turn a profit by cutting out the middle man and print costs. I know they're eventually going to sell the New York Missions modules as $5 downloads but those things are too short; good for maybe 8 hours of play a piece, though you can certainly string them together. At any rate, I got 20+ hours out of Elven Fire.

I'd love it... I'd be even more appreciative if these adventures could be used with missions. I.e. a full length adventure and you get a good old missions record form. Have tips on how to adjust it if it's based in Seattle to the current location that missions is in (NYC for now at least).

Sort of like adaptives for the D&D living campaigns.
TeOdio
The mists of time may have clouded my memory, so take these with a grain of salt. I LOVED Eyewitness. Ivy and Chrome was also a fun one for me to run. I didn't like Dragon Hunt as either a player or the 2 times I ran it. (Biased, every time was a failure so i never got to see the "good" ending). I never like Mercurial either as written, but with some tweaking it could be pretty fun. As a One Off where everyone bites the dust, run Mercurial as is and have them fight the Assassin and his Dragon buddy at the approximate 4th Ed power level they were written for in 1st Ed. It'll be as funny as it was when I ran it 17 years ago.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
crash2029
QUOTE (Malachi @ Dec 10 2008, 03:08 PM) *
Well, I stopped by my local store and they had a copy of Queen Euphoria for $10, so I picked it up. Does anyone have any good advice/stories from running this one?

Hmm. Well one time we ran this module I was playing an Ork bodyguard Named Justin Case and we were in the hive, in full armor, and we were getting swarmed by bugs. Justin couldn't get free so he totally freaked out his fellow runners by pulling the pin on a grenade and letting it go off while next to his chestplate. They saw, felt and heard the boom and then saw a big pile of bug bits. They totally freaked and the looks as Justin pulled himself out of the ichor and effluvia were Kodak moments.

There was also the interesting bit about just how our shaman ended up at Clockwork's backroom. The Ambergel hallucination scene can be fun. As can the dynamic between spoiled little Euphoria and jaded runners. Oh, and the weird little 'runner wannabe who delivers payment can be alot of fun to roleplay.

[ Spoiler ]
Malachi
Thanks for the tips. Considering this will be a one-shot I'll probably modify it so it has more of a "ride off into the sunset" kind of ending.
Malachi
Oh man, reading this SR1 adventure is great. Some things from this edition are downright "quaint." My favourite so far is how SR1 refers to "faxes" like they are some radical futuristic technology. I mean, we can send sensory impressions down a wire directly into a person's brain, and we can send words to be printed onto paper! What an age!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012