Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greek/Mongol/etc Wrestling & Sumai
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
toturi
After Nagra's Troll Strength thread last night, I decided to make a Cyclops wrestler charactor. After all the Attributes were done, I was stumped by the fact that there weren't any wrestling type martial arts in CC and I was loath to use Brawling. So I decided to see if anyone had any ideas on wrestling martial arts.
Tanka
Well, considering Wrestling is in no way, shape, or form a martial art, I think that sums it up.

Now, do you mean high school wrestling or "holy shit that's so fake" TV wrestling?

In the case of the former, it would be Athletics (Wrestling). In the case of the latter, it would be Performance (Acting) with a bit of Athletics (Wrestling) thrown in.

Now don't any of you start whining about how Athletics (Wrestling) isn't applicable. It is, because you can specialize into a sport, as per canon rules.

You know who I'm talking to. *Glare of Doom™*
Zazen
I say create a couple maneuvers to simulate holds and locks, and make it a style.
Lilt
It depends what you want to do. AFAIK Wrestling isn't the most useful combat technique as in-general there are rules against kneeing in the goolies. In other games I have played the wrestling combat maneuvers allowed you to perform locks, choke-holds, throws, joint dislocating techniques, stunning techniques ETC. I'f you actually want to fight using it then I'd go for a martial art with maneuvers such as throw, disorient, sweep, ground fighting(?), disorient, close combat, and maybe a few home-grown ones like dislocate, lock, and nerve strkes (which I'll leave to your imagination).

I would also give the character Athletics(Wrestling) to reflect the training and honing his body has been through. It wouldn't help you to hit someone per-se but you would probably be less fatigued because of it (hence have lower TNs).
toturi
QUOTE (tanka)
Well, considering Wrestling is in no way, shape, or form a martial art, I think that sums it up.

Now, do you mean high school wrestling or "holy shit that's so fake" TV wrestling?

In the case of the former, it would be Athletics (Wrestling). In the case of the latter, it would be Performance (Acting) with a bit of Athletics (Wrestling) thrown in.

Now don't any of you start whining about how Athletics (Wrestling) isn't applicable. It is, because you can specialize into a sport, as per canon rules.

You know who I'm talking to. *Glare of Doom™*

Considering that Wrestling is in some way, shape or form a martial art, I think that sums it up.

I was not asking you to tell me it is not a martial art, I was asking you to help me adapt Wrestling into a CC Martial Arts style.

If you have no idea how to do it, I would be happy if you just told me you have no idea.
Tanka
I'm going to hold with my statement that wrestling is not, in fact, a martial art. However, just to be (somewhat) nice...

Take the rules for jujitsu and take out the "Ha! Now I've got you where you want me!"
Lilt
Would you class Broadsword and shield a martial art? Martial arts may cover a broader category of subjects than you think.
Tanka
Different ideaology to me.

Or maybe I'm just being led astray by the media and TV wrestling. If that is so, sorry, but that's just how I view it.
Fortune
QUOTE (Lilt)
Would you class Broadsword and shield a martial art? Martial arts may cover a broader category of subjects than you think.

While this is true, there is no real martial use for real (or even fake) Wrestling. It was invented as a sport, and has continued to be used as such since Greco-Roman times (if not before).

This is not to say that someone trained in Wrestling cannot fight. They would just have to adapt wrestling into a style that is of some practical use in the real (or even Sixth) world.
Diesel
I don't know, grappling/wrestling works pretty well on most people.

Throw in a headbutt or punch or two and you're set.

But now we're back to brawling.
Tanka
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Lilt @ Dec 31 2003, 03:44 PM)

While this is true, there is no real martial use for real (or even fake) Wrestling. It was invented as a sport, and has continued to be used as such since Greco-Roman times (if not before).

This is not to say that someone trained in Wrestling cannot fight. They would just have to adapt wrestling into a style that is of some practical use in the real (or even Sixth) world.

In the style of Grecco Roman, that may just require a Grapple or Brawl (of which you can grapple with, just not as effectively).
Fortune
QUOTE (Diesel)
Wrestlings ugly sister, grappling, is very effective IMO.

Which is a good example of some of the wrestling moves being adapted for practical use. smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Lilt @ Dec 31 2003, 03:44 PM)

You think? You may as well say that there's no combat value in the 100m sprint.

Sports was merely training for soldiers with people watching.
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)

If you say so.
Diesel
There are more effective means of making war than sprinting and wrestling.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 31 2003, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (toturi @ Dec 31 2003, 04:02 PM)

If you say so.

Don't read much history do you? The marathon was started when a soldier ran home with the news of victory.

The javelin was guys throwing spears.

Swimming wasn't a big deal until the generals realised what a tactical advantage they had if their soldiers didn't drown getting across rivers
Phaeton
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 31 2003, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (toturi @ Dec 31 2003, 04:02 PM)

If you say so.

Don't read much history do you? The marathon was started when a soldier ran home with the news of victory.

And promptly died. biggrin.gif frown.gif dead.gif
Lilt
Heh. In SLA indistries the dislocate maneuver is about the most deadly in the game. You call a shot at a limb and if you hit (and they are lightly-armoured enough) the limb is dislocated. Calling a shot to the head is a bit harder than other called shots in the system but it's definately a quick way to take someone down.

Anyway: Yes Wrestling is primarily a sport but you could easily take the concepts (grappling combat) and turn it into an effective martial art.

For more details of the martial art: I think you'd get a bonus die or so when fighting using the close combat maneuver but -2 dice if the opponent is armed with a (sharp?) melee weapon. Sound OK?
Diesel
I wouldn't throw that melee weapon thing in. I could lock your arm pretty damn fast and I'm not even that good. Someone who can really wrestle can turn you immobile inside of a second and you're not too sure how. That makes your knife...ah...useless. biggrin.gif
leemur
QUOTE (tanka)

In the case of the former, it would be Athletics (Wrestling).  In the case of the latter, it would be Performance (Acting) with a bit of Athletics (Wrestling) thrown in.

Now don't any of you start whining about how Athletics (Wrestling) isn't applicable.  It is, because you can specialize into a sport, as per canon rules.

You know who I'm talking to.  *Glare of Doom™*

And wrestling as a martial art would be, yes, a martial art.

The difference between the "Athletics skill" wrestling and "martial arts skill" wrestling is simple: The Athletics version follows a series of rules (all of which I am completely unaware of) which means it qualifies as a 'sport'. This means you may be able to win a gold medal in it, but on the street, it is useless, since your opponent will not be following the rules.

In the "Ultimate Fighting Championships", where they pit all sorts of fighers against each other, it is almost always the wrestlers who win. There is no question that a properly trained wrestler would not be a capable opponent.

Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
Don't read much history do you?

Quite a bit, actually.

I stand by what I stated, in that Greco-Roman wrestling began as a sport. As I went on to say, there is no reason a skilled practitioner could not adapt it to a practical martial art. As it is though, strictly speaking it is a sport.
Siege
Just to whip the dead horse a little more:

Sports can be used for martial application with creative and motivated participants, but if the initial intent isn't combative in nature, I don't classify it as a martial art.

By that definition, boxing, judo, greco-roman wrestling, muay thai don't get classified as "martial arts" although a fair number of people would energetically disagree with me.

So I suppose I should have prefaced this entire exchange with, "In My Humble Opinion". grinbig.gif

Oh and as for the Marathon runner -- he may have died, but he got the job done.

-Siege
Tanka
If he died right after stopping, that must mean he was one of the first Adepts! Pain Resistance gaesed to running. He stopped, his body went "Oh no! Deadly damage!" and promptly cacked.

rotfl.gif
CanvasBack
In all honesty I think a good free-style wrestler will beat a good puncher/kicker just about every time. Just an opinion. To build a set of wrestling Martial arts, take a look at brawling and it's associated techniques. Make some changes to the maneuver lists to reflect style differences, Greco-Roman vs. Sumo will be different after all. Voila your done. Game wise, I don't know that it makes much of a difference. Greco-Roman is probably going to be more useful/adaptable to Shadowrun than sumo though. Imagine going on a run with a 600 lb human who needs a stick or helpers to wash himself and while proficient at laying people flat, has a hard time getting through doors... biggrin.gif
Pavlov
I've trained in a few "classic" martial arts (no claims of expertise here) and I would absolutely consider wrestling to be a martial art. If for no other reason that I know an old Estonian guy who can rip me apart with Sambo and I don't want to get on his bad side. Sure, TV catch-as-catch-can wrestling isn't going to be effective but freestyle, Sambo, and even Greco-Roman (with a little tweak here and there) could be very effective in one-on-one encounters. Some statistic I read noted that a high percentage of fights end up on the ground (yes, that means to some of you that most people can't fight) and in those situations, wrestling is pretty damn useful.
Austere Emancipator
Wrestling
to contend by grappling with and striving to trip or throw an opponent down or off balance
to engage in or as if in a violent or determined struggle
Advantages: Halves TN penalty from the Subduing Combat option, +2 dice when using Knockdown Attack or Subduing Combat options or Sweep or Throw maneuvers.
Disadvantages: -2 dice when using standard melee attacks, the Called Shot, Disarm or Multiple Targets options.
Maneuvers: Close Combat, Disorient, Ground Fighting, Sweep, Throw, Zoning

Yes, that's only 6 maneuvers when canon martial arts all have ~7-9, but there really aren't others that look anything like wrestling.

This from a guy who has never wrestled, and only seen a few minutes worth of Greco-Roman wrestling on TV.

Oh and if you don't consider wrestling a martial art, just call it "Combat Wrestling", closer to what Greco-Roman wrestling must have been like closer to its inception. I dunno if such things exist already, but they might. Anyway, Ninjutsu is SR canon and it's a make-believe martial art (more or less).

QUOTE (Pavlov)
[...] I know an old Estonian guy who can rip me apart with Sambo and I don't want to get on his bad side.

Sambo is already a canon SR martial art, using the same stats as Aikido and Jujitsu. Cannon Companion, p. 88.
Tziluthi
Hey, did anyone catch the commentary by H.G. and Roy for the greco-roman wrestling in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, complete with Barry White soundtrack?
Fortune
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
Hey, did anyone catch the commentary by H.G. and Roy for the greco-roman wrestling in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, complete with Barry White soundtrack?

Yep. Almost as good as their gymnastics coverage. wink.gif

Sambo is not Greco-Roman wrestling! nyahnyah.gif smile.gif
Siege
Very true -- I would imagine Greco Roman wrestling back in the day would have been quite different.

and Fortune is absolutely right -- it's not wrestling. It is a military unarmed combat form for the express intent of inflicting injury and/or restraining unwilling subjects, not as a competitive sport.

I'll refrain from commenting on effectiveness.

-Siege
Saintgrimm
Oh and if you don't consider wrestling a martial art, just call it "Combat Wrestling", closer to what Greco-Roman wrestling must have been like closer to its inception. I dunno if such things exist already, but they might. Anyway, Ninjutsu is SR canon and it's a make-believe martial art (more or less).

Correct in that. Greco-Roman wrestling was applied to combat. And thought the aplications are largely for submission type combat, there were other uses.

Here are a couple references from various sources.

From an Encyclopedia on Martial Arts:
Martial arts may include disciplines of striking (i.e. Boxing, Karate), kicking, (Kickboxing, Karate), grappling (Judo, Jujutsu, Wrestling), weaponry (Iaido, Kendo, Kenjutsu, Naginata-do, Jojutsu, Fencing), or some combination of those three (many types of Jujutsu).

Here are some excerpts from a Historical review of Greco-Roman wrestling(The link is here - Historical Review:
Wrestling first appeared in the primitive community period. It originated as one of the basic means of struggle for existence waged by primitive humans. Human had to fight for every piece of land, river or lake that he fancied, a bird he fowled, or an animal that he killed. Later this struggle lost its narrow utilitarian orientation and transformed into a set of sensible technical actions, a specific means of physical training.

Wrestling became widespread in the slave-owning period. This fact is confirmed by numerous monuments of that era, for example, famous Egyptian tomb in BeniGassan settlement (2600 BC) which walls are covered with depictions of different wrestling techniques.

Wrestling experienced its true development in ancient Greece. It was used to bring up a strong, deft, enduring and determined man. Wrestling was a component of the child, youth and adult physical training system. Many famous philosophers and poets, statesmen and military leaders of ancient Greece were eminent wrestlers in their time - participants and winners of the Olympian competitions (Milon of Crotona, Pythagoras, Platon, Pindar, Alkinad, etc).

And
In Russia wrestling emerged a long time ago. According to historical chronicles wrestling was widespread in Russia as early as in the 10"' century AC. Owing to historical conditions, Russians had to wage fre­quent wars with foreign invaders. These battles involve a one-on-one fighting which outcome depended mainly on the fighter's strength, deftness, powers of endurance, fearlessness - these are integral wrestling qualities.

Also, as a point of reference, when the Olympics began, they were just races. The first was a race of 200 yards, and was won by a cook. Wrestling, Boxing, Javelin throwing were all introduced when the Spartans began to join. The Spartans, who did use all of these in war, felt that the olympics should be won by the best soldiers and warriors.

In addition, the Incas used wrestling as an art of war. Another excerpt:
The candidates were required to show their prowess in the athletic exercises of the warrior; in wrestling and boxing, in running such long courses as fully tried their agility and strength, in severe fasts of several days' duration, and in mimic combats, which, although the weapons were blunted, were always attended with wounds, and sometimes with death.

So, basically, just trying to say that yes, Wrestling is a martial art. Yes, it is possible to subdue, but also to injure and/or kill with it. I was a collegiate level wrestler myself. It's hard on the body, and may be a sport today. But it is no less deadly, especially considering that it combines flexability with strength... strength enough to break bones, or hemorrage an organ.

Just my 3.25 cents.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012