Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral perception and cybereyes with vision enhancement
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyro
Do you get the bonus for astral perception? It would give mages a reason to buy more than the rating 1 cybereyes with low-light and thermo.
Stahlseele
no

reasons for mages to buy them include getting rid of visibility modifiers without using astral perception.
included storage and video-capture equipment and smartlink is now eyeware and fits in . .
make them really painfully obvious and maybe some people won't think you are a mage any more . .
Ancient History
To expand on that a little, astral perception is not tied to your physical vision, or really any of your physical senses.

[ Spoiler ]
Tyro
Thank you, AH. Much appreciated.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 7 2008, 12:09 AM) *
To expand on that a little, astral perception is not tied to your physical vision, or really any of your physical senses.

[ Spoiler ]

also, the mind has to translate the info into something.

i suspect a mage that was born blind would get things translated as sounds and other senses.

a shedim's aura smelling like something rotten, maybe?

that is, unless said person awoke at a early age and learned to replace his missing natural vision with his astral one wink.gif
Steampunk
Even for a mage who isn't blind, aspects of astral perception may not be vision-based. A mage could, for example, "smell" the cyberware instead of seeing it in an aura. But of course, this (imho) depends on the mage, for most humans, vision is the primary sense, so this will probably the one the mind translates the info into.
Dragnar
Astral perception isn't vision based for any mage, that's the point. It is just described that way for the benefit of us, the nonmagical readers. It is an extra sense, and as awakened people have had it for most of their lives, it's just as natural as seeing or hearing for them.
ornot
I've a mage PC in the game I'm running whose home brew tradition entirely revolves around music. Hence I describe auras as melodies or rhythms, which 'ware implants make increasingly discordant. The kind of music is determined by the mood of the owner of said aura. Mana surges make everything louder, while mana ebbs dampen all sounds.

It's not all one way though; I make him describe the sounds that go along with his spells, and occasionally require him to sing for the groups amusement.
MJBurrage
I understand that none of the physical senses are involved in Astral Perception, I.E. not dependent on eyes, ears, touch etc.

But what about how it's processed in the brain?
  • Has there ever been a description of what part of the brain does the job?
  • Would an awakened dolphin describe Astral Perception in terms of hearing, while metahumans describe the same thing in terms of vision?
  • If you damage the visual cortex, does that damage your ability to perceive the astral realm in a spatial way?
  • If you damage the auditory cortex, does that damage your ability to communicate on astral realm?
  • And so on for the parts of the brain that process taste, smell, touch, etc.
Aaron
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Dec 7 2008, 09:09 AM) *
I understand that none of the physical senses are involved in Astral Perception, I.E. not dependent on eyes, ears, touch etc.

When I'm behind the BBS, I run it as being processed using the sense that the person using astral perception uses predominantly when learning. So visual learners would process it as vision, aural learners as sound, tactile-kinesthetic learners as feeling and a sense of space. If a player hasn't developed their character that far, then I describe it as visual until I suss out what sort of learner the player is, then I describe it that way.

For what that's worth.
Ancient History
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Dec 7 2008, 04:09 PM) *

To a large part, this remains unknown since you can't record astral perception using simsense, so the exact portion(s) of the brain (if any) involved are still a bit of a mystery...though if you'd like to volunteer your character, I'm sure there are a number of corps that would be happy to strap them down and selectively destroy portions of their brain until they find out.
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Dec 7 2008, 05:46 AM) *
Astral perception isn't vision based for any mage, that's the point. It is just described that way for the benefit of us, the nonmagical readers. It is an extra sense, and as awakened people have had it for most of their lives, it's just as natural as seeing or hearing for them.

To step out on a limb here and use a RL reference:

My wife and I are both Pagan. She follows a Wiccan path and is an artist. She views auras as color and light.

I lean towards a shamantic approach . I sense things more as a hot/cold feeling or just flashes of "Knowing".

Its not so much "Seeing things" as reaching into the astral plane and interpreting the knowledge through your experiences.

At least thats how it seems to work at this point in the cycle. Ask me again after 2011 and I may have a clearer picture for you. grinbig.gif grinbig.gif

streetangelj
I'll back you up on the RL experience. I'm "mostly" shamanic in my outlook and I also "read auras" by "touch", however if I've been exposed to it enough or spend enough time focusing on it I kinda get a picture (the way I imagine bats, dolphins, and Daredevil "see" things with ultrasound); However most of the Pagans (from all sorts of paradigms) I know who claim to read auras say that they "see" them, some in color, some not.
Tyro
I have a good bit of experience there myself IRL; people who physically see astral signatures are incredibly rare. I think it might actually be a type of synesthesia.
Stahlseele
i myself don't really believe in this stuff . .
but i know a girl who does not need to see someone to know how far away they are . .
we tried once, blindfolded and placed headphones on her so she could neither hear nor see us come closer . .
every time we reached a certain distance to her, she would point at us, even though we moved in from all directions . .
she once or twice even identified who was closest to her like that . . kinda creepy, but nice girl . .
Ancient History
You're all a bunch of dirty hippies. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
yes they are.
me, i ain't old enough to be a hippie!
Tyro
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 7 2008, 03:50 PM) *
yes they are.
me, i ain't old enough to be a hippie!

I'm 21. I'm a born-again hippie!
Method
God Module
kanislatrans
grinbig.gif Already the persecution of the Awakened begins. grinbig.gif

I would consider myself more of a Yippie, since Hippie's tend to be passive and non-violent. Yippie's on the other hand, really knew how to shake things up. grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
streetangelj
Nope AH, my parents were hippies; I'm a burnout child of the '80s.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (streetangelj @ Dec 7 2008, 06:35 PM) *
I'll back you up on the RL experience. I'm "mostly" shamanic in my outlook and I also "read auras" by "touch",

I can see you getting sued for sexual harrasment.

In my opinion stral perception is felt with all the senses, as well on an emotive level and some oder very visceral sensations, it's also (being not tied ot any organ) not directional but all around.
streetangelj
Hasn't happenned yet grinbig.gif
Muspellsheimr
My understanding is that Astral Perception is a sixth sense, & as such is not interpreted by the brain in the same way as any of the five primary senses. Astral "vision" is as different from vision, scent, touch, hearing, or taste as they are from each other.

It is only described as being "visual" when an Awakened attempts to convey it to a non-Awakened, as sight is the primary sense of metahumans, & thus the easiest to understand.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Dec 9 2008, 02:56 AM) *
My understanding is that Astral Perception is a sixth sense, & as such is not interpreted by the brain in the same way as any of the five primary senses. Astral "vision" is as different from vision, scent, touch, hearing, or taste as they are from each other.

It is only described as being "visual" when an Awakened attempts to convey it to a non-Awakened, as sight is the primary sense of metahumans, & thus the easiest to understand.

It has been state that living auras are bright and vibrant, it isn't properly visual but part of it is interpreted as if it was, than it also gives other type of feedback as well; if you fucus only on the "visual" part you lose most of information as assensing skill represent the ability of giving a meaning to what you feel not just what you "see".
Rotbart van Dainig
Since Lucifer Lamps and Astral Sensitive Film, the astral plane has a measurable visual element.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 9 2008, 11:06 AM) *
Since Lucifer Lamps and Astral Sensitive Film, the astral plane has a measurable visual element.

Speaking of Lucifer Lampstm when is Ares going to produce dualnatured lasers for its bughunters?
Rotbart van Dainig
Who said they didn't already? Metal Vapour Lasers exist today.
AllTheNothing
I wish that they had been put in Arsenal than, if there were a man-operable gaus connon (not to mention all those vehicle-only weapons that no GM should ever allow to fall in PCs hands) why not some (ultra-expensive) Orichalcum Vapour Lasers.
Unless the industrial processing destroies the compound like raiation spectroscopic analisis do, but than if they were able to process it in Lucifer Lamps it's not unthinkable that can also be processed in electrodes and similar things.
Chrysalis
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 7 2008, 01:01 AM) *
Do you get the bonus for astral perception? It would give mages a reason to buy more than the rating 1 cybereyes with low-light and thermo.

When you astrally perceive you close your outer eyes to the world and open your inner eye to the world of the astral.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Dec 9 2008, 11:42 AM) *
Speaking of Lucifer Lampstm when is Ares going to produce dualnatured lasers for its bughunters?

meh, what i would like to see is dual-natured googles of some sort wink.gif

maybe something like a transparent film of fab that would show the outline of a spirit on the astral.

perfect for those sneaking into a place with a spirit doing the rounds...
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 9 2008, 04:45 PM) *
meh, what i would like to see is dual-natured googles of some sort wink.gif

maybe something like a transparent film of fab that would show the outline of a spirit on the astral.

perfect for those sneaking into a place with a spirit doing the rounds...

Didn't FAB glow when its aura is passed trough by an astral form?
Also it doesn't actualy glowes, it dies and relises some compound that glowes if exposed to UV spectrum.
GloMoss is a better shot, but glowes if something is near without outlining anything, it just glowes (GloWand already do it).
It would Need something like mana-sensitive films, just MUCH faster; maybe in the future but not yet, sorry.
Stahlseele
Lasers should have the LIGHT elemental Effect, they are good for dealing with ghosts and HMHVV thingies.
you could totally go ghostbusters with them too . .
hobgoblin
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Dec 11 2008, 09:10 PM) *
Didn't FAB glow when its aura is passed trough by an astral form?
Also it doesn't actualy glowes, it dies and relises some compound that glowes if exposed to UV spectrum.
GloMoss is a better shot, but glowes if something is near without outlining anything, it just glowes (GloWand already do it).
It would Need something like mana-sensitive films, just MUCH faster; maybe in the future but not yet, sorry.

i guess the save only comes from the way spirit patrol rules work, only that they dont cover parking a spirit in front of a choke point 24/7...

and glowand works more like a metal detector wand then what im thinking about (it needs to be very close to the source).
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 11 2008, 09:14 PM) *
Lasers should have the LIGHT elemental Effect, they are good for dealing with ghosts and HMHVV thingies.
you could totally go ghostbusters with them too . .

As long as they materialized, if they are manifesting or are on astral lasers can't do anything.

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 11 2008, 09:50 PM) *
i guess the save only comes from the way spirit patrol rules work, only that they dont cover parking a spirit in front of a choke point 24/7...

and glowand works more like a metal detector wand then what im thinking about (it needs to be very close to the source).

I might add that GloWand (being basicaly portable GloMoss) is prone to false positives, I just said that it glowes not that it does it well. GloGoggles would be even worse due visual impairment.
ornot
glomoss is fun. I occasionally freak out one of my pcs by having his glowmoss go off unexpectedly for no reason. Of course, I also have to trigger it right before the big mojo goes down, giving him a chance to dive for cover. At least if he accurately gauges whether it's a false alarm or not.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Dec 12 2008, 12:10 AM) *
As long as they materialized, if they are manifesting or are on astral lasers can't do anything.

That's where the Lucifer Laser comes in.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (ornot @ Dec 12 2008, 12:30 PM) *
glomoss is fun. I occasionally freak out one of my pcs by having his glowmoss go off unexpectedly for no reason. Of course, I also have to trigger it right before the big mojo goes down, giving him a chance to dive for cover. At least if he accurately gauges whether it's a false alarm or not.

Fraggin' GMs rotfl.gif !!!
By the way, am I the only one who thinks that is a good idea to hide the 'Moss in a poket with a sensor that keeps track of light emission and showes a report on AR (you know a gloLevel bar and a warning message if it excides a certain level).
ornot
I think glo-wands have a built in vibrate setting. Certainly a fine plan to have an alternate form of display.

re: lucifer lamps and astral film, I figure it's inspired by Kirlian photography, and provides a means by which the non-awakened and tech can interact with mana. It's not worth examining it too hard, except where it improves or imbalances the game.
hobgoblin
hmm, kirlian glasses nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012