Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nuclear Spirits Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
W@geMage
As a coincidence I was just planning to use a Nuclear Spirit in my next session. See thread here: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=24534
The idea would be to show just how insane and dangerous some magic(users) can be.

The setup would be something like this:
A powerful Toxic Shaman is planning to execute a terrorist attack on Arthur Vogel (Yes, it's the run from Super Tuesday wink.gif)
The team will be able to acquire the location of the chemical plant where his hideout was (He's already gone by the time the players get there).
I was now thinking on interesting and colourful ways he could have defended his lair.

So far I've got the following:
  • The entire area is a Toxic Domain R2 and has a Great Form Toxic Beast Spirit (F4) longterm bound to it to protect it against all metahuman/Drone intruders not approved by him.
  • The building itself has an Alarm Ward.
  • If Riv (the Shaman) is alerted of a serious intrusion he summons a F5 Nuclear Spirit with the task to irradiate all intruders in his domain. It will arrive in 10 Combat rounds (30 seconds).
  • First line of defence will be the Abomination sending swarms of toxic rats (20) and later rabid dogs (4) to harass/delay the team. While they are busy fighting it will Howl and try to weaken them, it will try to stay out of combat for now. When they near the compound it will attack together with the 2 Hellhounds present, maybe also with the Nuclear Spirit.

Now for my questions:
  • The team will most likely send in the spydrones first to check out the plant, and since it is rundown should be able to gain access to most places. What kind of security measures could the Shaman have taken to prevent stuff like that. I guess the Abomination/Hounds get a Perception test but I feel like more backup against these type of drones would be advisable to maintain the suspense.
  • Does the Concealment power affect the Astral Plane?
    Because 2 characters are mages they could otherwise easily spot the Abomination as it lacks any Infiltration skill. How could it try to hide from them?
  • If they try to banish the bound Spirit how much drain will they take if you figure the Shaman has a Magic of 5 + a bound Power Focus R2. How much dice will the Abomination throw to resist. (I guess 7[Magic of Summoner] + 1 [Great Form Bonus] + 4[Force]) * (3 Physical Damage) (Invoked => + 50% Drain) [Since both characters Magic reduced by 2 by the BG Count].
  • Radiation damage for the F5 Nuclear Spirit: (Is this correct?)
    # Radiation damage (Ranged): 5P(Radiation Element) + netto hits (1/2 Impact)
    # Close Combat Damage [STR:5]: 7P[3+4] (Radiation Element) + netto hits (1/2 Impact)
    # Passive damage when hit in HTH: 5P(Radiation Element) (1/2 Impact)
  • Any useful tricks the Shaman could have used to further secure his hideout? Both in advance and when he's 30 km away.

Thanks
Neraph
QUOTE (W@geMage @ Dec 9 2008, 07:56 AM) *
Now for my questions:
  • The team will most likely send in the spydrones first to check out the plant, and since it is rundown should be able to gain access to most places. What kind of security measures could the Shaman have taken to prevent stuff like that. I guess the Abomination/Hounds get a Perception test but I feel like more backup against these type of drones would be advisable to maintain the suspense.
  • Does the Concealment power affect the Astral Plane?
    Because 2 characters are mages they could otherwise easily spot the Abomination as it lacks any Infiltration skill. How could it try to hide from them?
  • If they try to banish the bound Spirit how much drain will they take if you figure the Shaman has a Magic of 5 + a bound Power Focus R2. How much dice will the Abomination throw to resist. (I guess 7[Magic of Summoner] + 1 [Great Form Bonus] + 4[Force]) * (3 Physical Damage) (Invoked => + 50% Drain) [Since both characters Magic reduced by 2 by the BG Count].
  • Radiation damage for the F5 Nuclear Spirit: (Is this correct?)
    # Radiation damage (Ranged): 5P(Radiation Element) + netto hits (1/2 Impact)
    # Close Combat Damage [STR:5]: 7P[3+4] (Radiation Element) + netto hits (1/2 Impact)
    # Passive damage when hit in HTH: 5P(Radiation Element) (1/2 Impact)
  • Any useful tricks the Shaman could have used to further secure his hideout? Both in advance and when he's 30 km away.

Thanks

Actually, radiation does play havoc with sensors (you could treat it as wireless inhibiting paint, or even make the base rating a threshold for all communications [off a signal + system or something]). EDIT: THIS IS UNSUPPORTED BY RULES.

Also, Radiation damage does not allow armor at all. Just Body, Radiation Shielding (If any) and Anti-Rad Nanites (which I don't think exist in the timeline you're playing).

The Energy Aura stays at a fixed 4 DV when struck in melee.

And don't forget to use Watcher Spirits. They're like magical trip-sensors.
W@geMage
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 9 2008, 11:34 AM) *
Actually, radiation does play havoc with sensors (you could treat it as wireless inhibiting paint, or even make the base rating a threshold for all communications [off a signal + system or something]). EDIT: THIS IS UNSUPPORTED BY RULES.

Good idea, I'll probably see if I can make their detection devices give false positives or something.
Don't worry, our game is pretty loose. I just want to make sure I don't overdo it with dangerous stuff like this.
PS: How would radiation influence a Technomancer?

Also, Radiation damage does not allow armor at all. Just Body, Radiation Shielding (If any) and Anti-Rad Nanites (which I don't think exist in the timeline you're playing).

The Energy Aura stays at a fixed 4 DV when struck in melee.

And don't forget to use Watcher Spirits. They're like magical trip-sensors.

Are you sure, something specific for Radiation?

p289: (Elemental Attack) The attack’s DV
equals the critter’s Magic, and is treated as Cold, Electricity,
or Fire damage (see p. 155), as appropriate to the attack.
Such attacks are resisted with half Impact armor.

A critter with Energy Aura continuously radiates an
aura of damaging or negative energy, be it flame, intense cold,
electricity, or something similar. Melee attacks made by the
critter gain an additional +4 modifier to the Damage Value.
Neraph
QUOTE (Street Magic, pg. 145, Radiation Elemental Damage sidebar)
In game terms, Radiation damage is treated as Physcial damage. Armor does not help to protect against this kind of attack, while protective measures (such as rad suits) might.

QUOTE (SR4, pg. 287)
Any successful attack against a critter with Energy Aura means the attacker also takes damage form the attack. The attacker must make a Damage Resistance Test against a Damage Value equal to the critter's Magic.

What do you know, these last like 2 years I've missed that line. So yeah, they hit your F5 Nuclear Spirit, it's a 5P Radiation hit.

Since elemental attacks deal secondary elemental effects (the shutdown/passout from electricity, catching fire from fire...), I'd imagine that Radiation Damage deals Radiation Poisoning. This exploded quite a bit in my thread, but I think a good rule of thumb for the effects would be to look at the Power and Penetration of the different levels of Radiation Poisoning, and run your attacks similarly. Or you can check the base DV (not modified DV) against the seiverts listed in the individual Radiation Poisoning tables.

EX) Sam the Razorboy gets nailed by a Nuclear Spirit's Energy Attack (Radiation)! Luckily, the Spirit's force is quite low (force 2), but he got 4 successes (ouch!). You could run this as either A) Force 2 means 2 Seiverts (Mld Radiation), or B) the Base DV of 2 compares more closely to the 4 Power of Mild than, say, Deadly.

EX 2) Ginette the Gilette gets punched by a Nulcear Spirit, and hit hurts! The spirit's force (6) is really high, and he really hit her hard (5 net successes)! She's going to be feeling that later! This would work as either A) the base DV of the attack (6) is between the combined Power and Penetration of Moderate and Severe Radiation Poisoning, so B) the base DV of 6, meaning roughly 6 Seiverts, places this in the 5-9 range of Severe Radiation Poisoning. Looks like Ginette is going to need some decontamination time very soon!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012