Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Hollywood Correctional Facility
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow
*Looks around* If you play in my upcoming Table top game read no further!

So I am about to start a new campaign here in the forsaken wasteland that is Boise Idaho (at least when it comes to gaming) and I am creating a campaign that will see the PC's in prison about three sessions in. I would like it to be brief, maybe two sessions. Other than the obvious resource of prison movies, what do you guys think prison is like in 2070? What is your view on it? You can leave out the gangrape in the shower's, I don't run that kind of game biggrin.gif
ahammer
1st thing you need to ask is it a govment run prison
or a corp.

also some of the gangs in the area sould have clicks on the inside this will let you player know who the player in town are and add some flavor.
toturi
QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 11 2008, 09:25 AM) *
*Looks around* If you play in my upcoming Table top game read no further!

So I am about to start a new campaign here in the forsaken wasteland that is Boise Idaho (at least when it comes to gaming) and I am creating a campaign that will see the PC's in prison about three sessions in. I would like it to be brief, maybe two sessions. Other than the obvious resource of prison movies, what do you guys think prison is like in 2070? What is your view on it? You can leave out the gangrape in the shower's, I don't run that kind of game biggrin.gif

Prison Break, maybe?
ravensoracle
Or Death Race?
Shadow
All good, but I would like more 2070 specific. How do you think the gaurds behave, what security measure does the building have etc...

And I think it would be a corp run for the Metroplex, ala Lonestar or some other sub contractor.
ahammer
that make me think jail may be the only them some people have been without online access all for long proids of time.
got to think of a good way to play that up.

corp they are going to treate them like skum. remeber it is unlikly the corps are getting payed to have people not come back to prison are these people have no longer have a lot of right due to have a cremal sin. look at somone wrong and they will give you a beat down.

they are more concernd with keeping people in line then refroming them.

or

with VR there is no need cells if you put somone into a sim that like a cell this also stop people from fighting back
maybe the only time they are out of VR is to eat and sleep. (feel like there was a movie where people spent all there time in vr ohplease.gif )

or

could just be a jail but you do not get to go out to the yard you eat in your cell, you bed is there, sometime you get to turn on vr to get some "fresh air"

or

maybe for some of the harsher crime you have to go throw a sim of the event you made happen. kill some one and you get to feel what it is like to get shot and have not control over the events

or

it could be a shop where they use totor soft to show you the error of your ways(brain wash) into working in the system.

or

if you have some cyberwhere you could be forced to be a bio drone. you get to be force labor till you time is up out in the wild but if you try to do anything out of line a riger will take over you cyberware and force you to be inline. (and punish you till you learn better) like hud only with unwilling people.

JonathanC
Depends on the corp. In light of the topic title, I'd say a prison in L.A., run by, say, Horizon, would probably be set up as a reality show. All inmates are automatically rendered 'unpaid talent' for some kind of cheesy, ongoing amalgam of Big Brother, Survivor, and Flavor of Love Girls Charm School. Physical challenges, embarassing makeovers, constant shifting alliances and factions...sure, you're safe from shower rape (hopefully), but now you've got to worry about that two-faced bitch voting you out of the North Wing cells (featuring warmed toilet seats!), and since you failed the last three immunity challenges, that means you're headed back to Gen pop, where you have to weave your own toilet paper.

Ares I could see using prisoners as industrial labor. Aztechnology...hmm...ritual sacrifice is too stereotypical, but I'm sure a fair number of their prisoners go there. The rest I figure...maybe free mercs for their wars in South America? With some cranial kink bombs to keep the soldiers in line? Failing that, the good 'ol fashioned bomb collar? I could totally see Mitsuhama or another Japanacorp going for a full Matrix-style human battery array using prisoners. Cheap feeding, you don't have to worry about securing the yard or the showers, and you make some cash as part of the deal.
Beetle
I hate to admit it, but my GM snagged some inspiration from Demolition Man and went the whole sim brainwashing/reprogramming route. for the majority of our incarceration while not cryogenically frozen, we spent it in simrigs. It was pretty funny when we were finally let out and we discovered over time we had a bunch of crazy, if not practical knowledge skills like baking, knitting and gardening.

The guards were glorified babysitters in this particular prison and tended to be rigged security drones more often than not.
pbangarth
Mind control... drugs, electronic, whatever... is probably an option for various jurisdictions. Keep the inmate quiet for the allotted time, and then let him out. Particularly if the inmate was SINless to start.

Peter
Beetle
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 11 2008, 12:47 AM) *
Mind control... drugs, electronic, whatever... is probably an option for various jurisdictions. Keep the inmate quiet for the allotted time, and then let him out. Particularly if the inmate was SINless to start.

Peter

Yep, it's hard for us to riot and shank people while we're in VR learning about knitting mittens.
The Jopp
I imagine that prisons don't have to be that high security in 2070 since youu have a lot of cheap technology to keep people inside and relativetly safe and sound.

This is my version of a more "humane" prison. You dont have to be cruel in order to take care of prisoners and you can still keep them happy.

Considering how cheap technology is we can make a cheap calculation per inmate. Note however that this is market prices and not the reduced price a corporation would get by ordering things in bulk quantities. Let's assume that the corporation use their own brands for everything and cuts prices in half.

The Cells
Lifestyle: Squatter (You have a shared room, bland food and a bed)
Cost: 500Y (250Y)
Tech: Meta Link & Vector Xim embedded in bed/wall. Ar-Gloves, Sim-Module, Skinlink and Trodes.
Cost: 750Y (375)

Total Cost: 1250 (625Y) / Inmate

The Inmate
The prisoners wear Flats and have an RFID tag inserted that keeps track of the prisoner at all time (in some cases more than one tag for extra security). Sensors keep track of the inmates and alert security if something is amiss.

Drones
The prisons security is simple. Railmounted drones in the roof equipped with riot control weaponry (Teargas, Pepper Spray, Tazers etc) patrol the perimeter at all time.

Riot Drones
Riot drones are deployed the moment a drone is damaged or restrained and basically gas the entire area into unconciousness by contact vector drugs.

Security Devices
Standard security devices includes keypads, pressure pads/mesh, laser trip wires.

Outer Perimeter
Outer perimeter is barbed wire and electric wires and fences.

Wireless Defense
The entire prison is jammed where the inmates are. In a pinch the drones can activate a localized jammer and follow the prisoner on the rail system.

Magical Defense
A few patrolling spirits and astral mages patrol the area outside the prison.

Biofibers coat the entire prison with varying thickness depending on security.

Awakened prisoners have a mage collar that functions similar to a Ambient Magical Potentiometer (AMP). As soon as the collar (or rather the FAB inside) detects a rising in ambient mana coming from a channeling caster the collar will detect the heightened state of the FAB and give the caster a small jolt of electricity, effectively blocking their concentration.

If the prisoner continues to use magic a stronger current will be used until they stop or are unconcious.

Subliminal Messages
All visual communications have imbedded subliminal messages for mental conditioning of the prisoners with simple things like "Dont Riot" and "Work Hard" to ensure a calm and pacified population.

Prison Factory
Since the prisoners are a low paid workforce with few choices they make a handy profit as cheap labourers for the corporation that owns the prison. Chances of rioting is also lessened since there are a lot of simsense options for the prisoners which lessens boredom.
Chrysalis
I found prison to be boring. You spend most of the time watching TV, playing cards, or then waiting for your once a week moment in the rec room. You have no idea of time unless it is mentioned on TV. I remember mostly sleeping.

Some places even charge you for all the amenities. You have to pay for everything, not to mention the rent of the room. I think one place in the U.S. charged 60 bucks a day.

Now fast forward to 2070. You not only pay for everything, you are expected to work around prison. It is like the ACHE, but without any of the horror effects. Day in day out you see the same prisoners and at some point a fight breaks out. You get shanked and you go to the infirmary where a doctor who had his medical license revoked tries to stop you from dying with equipment from the 1970s. Then you get the bill afterwards down to the bandaids used.

If the prisoners don't like mouthy prisoners, think what happens with the guards. You get put in the hole for four days for wisecracking the guards. You decide that you are going to show how macho you are and punch a guard. The whole wing goes on lockdown and TV rights are revoked for the month. Guess who is going to get some "street justice" in the showers next week.

So you end up with cliques of people. The latinos will be with the latinos, orcs with orcs, and humanis will be running the kitchen. You don't want to join a gang and you are alone. No-one will look after you. This is when the more aggressive and stronger individuals will become aggressive. So he puts his hand on your thigh and says your his now. You fight back and suddenly you are going to get some "street justice" in the rec room next week.

You kill someone in prison and your sentence gets longer, you get accused of a crime in prison your sentence gets longer.

It is not about cyberware or skills, it's about who you know and how you are going to protect your back.
Spike
I postulated a prison senario using the idea of a corporate prison (Lonestar run) in the Pacific Northwest for SINless.

So: we have prisoners who are not citizens, but are not utterly bereft of rights, and who's existance is, in fact, recorded. You have a corp who is essentially being paid by the Seattle Metroplex to house x number of bodies for y amounts of time. They want to maximize their profits (keep cost per prisoner per day to a minimum) while simulataniously not allowing their bodycount to drop (less prisoners means less money for their prison services) unduly, and without losing their contract (too many casualties, too many escapees, etc...).

What I postulated then was essentially a big open air pit of a prison, rather than cells and the sort. Medical and inprocessing facilities are built into the wall, the guards stay on the wall with (mostly) non-lethal weapons. There were heated 'overheads' near the center of the camp as rainshelters/cold weather relief, water was troughed in near the walls, food was dropped in 'survival bars' from random locations around the wall twice a day.

ahammer
QUOTE (Spike @ Dec 11 2008, 02:26 PM) *
I postulated a prison senario using the idea of a corporate prison (Lonestar run) in the Pacific Northwest for SINless.

So: we have prisoners who are not citizens, but are not utterly bereft of rights, and who's existance is, in fact, recorded. You have a corp who is essentially being paid by the Seattle Metroplex to house x number of bodies for y amounts of time. They want to maximize their profits (keep cost per prisoner per day to a minimum) while simulataniously not allowing their bodycount to drop (less prisoners means less money for their prison services) unduly, and without losing their contract (too many casualties, too many escapees, etc...).

What I postulated then was essentially a big open air pit of a prison, rather than cells and the sort. Medical and inprocessing facilities are built into the wall, the guards stay on the wall with (mostly) non-lethal weapons. There were heated 'overheads' near the center of the camp as rainshelters/cold weather relief, water was troughed in near the walls, food was dropped in 'survival bars' from random locations around the wall twice a day.

in system like that it become hard to get people back out when there time is up.
Fortune
There are no official prisons for the SINless. As soon as a SINless person is arrested they are issued a Criminal SIN, and are therefore no longer SINless.
Spike
One can be 'SINless' when one is arrested and incarcerated, and thence issued a Criminal SIN, obviously. I didn't think it was relevant to the question being asked, so I didn't bother to mention it.

Obviously there is a way in and out of the wall: Note that inprocessing facilities (which, obviously enough would serve as outprocessign facilities as well...) as well as basic medical care are built into the wall itself, providing access to the prison yard. The key isn't elimination of interaction but minimization. The corp isn't interested in managing the prisoners, which is labor (and thus cost) intensive, but rather just minimal maintanance.

Further details, such as methods to keep down widespread violence, or means of getting prisoners to the medical bay weren't dealt with specifically either, but were in mind.
Fortune
QUOTE (Spike)
One can be 'SINless' when one is arrested and incarcerated, and thence issued a Criminal SIN, obviously. I didn't think it was relevant to the question being asked, so I didn't bother to mention it.

I was responding to this portion of your post ...

QUOTE (Spike)

So: we have prisoners who are not citizens, but are not utterly bereft of rights ...

My point is that by the time of their incarceration, prisoners have already been issued Criminal SINs. So the scenario you postulated would not actually come about. At least in any official or acknowledged capacity.
Spike
I think you were being deliberately obtuse. I was referring to the origin of the prisoners. Those who had SIN's (and thus citizenship with various corporate bodies, presumptively) are a much different critter, legally, than those who did not.

A prison housing criminals who had SIN's before is a different host of critters, thus the necessity of the distinction. A criminal SIN does not appreciably create a citizenship status so much as provide a record of previous transgressions.
Fortune
QUOTE (Spike @ Dec 12 2008, 09:42 AM) *
I think you were being deliberately obtuse.

Thanks for that, but as I explain below, that is not the case.

I was referring to the origin of the prisoners. Those who had SIN's (and thus citizenship with various corporate bodies, presumptively) are a much different critter, legally, than those who did not.

A prison housing criminals who had SIN's before is a different host of critters, thus the necessity of the distinction. A criminal SIN does not appreciably create a citizenship status so much as provide a record of previous transgressions.

I totally disagree. A Criminal SIN is a Criminal SIN! A SINless person convicted of a crime is given a Criminal SIN. A UCAS SINner convicted of a crime has his SIN changed (or a tag amended) to a Criminal SIN. I fail to see why there would be any differentiation between the two, let alone separate facilities for each. Both now have the exact same rights (or lack thereof), and would be treated in the same manner (barring variables such as bribes and the like).

Jurisdiction is a totally different matter. An Ares citizen convicted of a crime would have an Ares Criminal SIN, and might very well go to an Ares facility ... if Ares is the Corporation that convicted him. If he's committed a crime in UCAS jurisdiction however, he just might be incarcerated in a Federal institution, or even a prison run by one of the other Corporations. This would not be any different from a SINless person convicted in these same jurisdictions though, except that technically the SINless criminal would be lucky to get to trial if he was caught on Extraterritorial property.
Matsci
From Corp Enclaves:
What they were doing was pretty much a mystery until the recent announcement of their plans to open "The Haven," a social reeducation facility, that will also include facilities to "rehabilitate magically and technologically awakened offenders." I've heard that they already have a waiting list of so-called offenders from other countries and corporations, who generally dislike the costs inherent in keeping magicians and virtuakinetics locked up. Supposedly, the facility will be
open for business in late fall, if you decide you want to, ahem, visit.

> Horizon operates several prisons around the globe, taking in criminals from other corps and countries, turning a nice profit in the process. Their facilities are very different from normal lockups. Prisoners are referred to as patients and treated as though their crimes resulted from mental illnesses, which, supposedly, the doctors and staff are there to "cure." I lost one of my men to one of these places outside Lisbon. He told me that they were pretty heavy into group therapy and made him go through these annoying sims constantly. Apparently they experimented with different conditioning techniques, too. Poor slob. We eventually got him out, months later, and he was never the same, just froze up on our last job together when it came time to apply some heavy firepower. I blame Horizon; I don't know what they did in there, but it screwed up a good merc.
> Picador

> I looked up some stats on their prisons. I'm not sure what they're doing, but Horizon releases their inmates, on average, seven months earlier than other prisons, and have a 63 percent lower recidivism rate. No one is saying anything bad about the places; all reports cite some bullshit about Horizon's unique "multi-layered, holistic approach to rehabilitation." I can't even find any inmate interviews that are negative. I'm gonna do some more research. Picador, can I talk to your friend? I'd love to get a first-person POV.
> Sunshine

> Sorry. Bert took a bullet to the head during that last op. I can forward you the notebook he kept, though. If you make any sense of it, let me know.
> Picador

So basically Horizon goes Clockwork Orange on your ass
Spike
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 11 2008, 04:15 PM) *
Thanks for that, but as I explain below, that is not the case.

I totally disagree. A Criminal SIN is a Criminal SIN! A SINless person convicted of a crime is given a Criminal SIN. A UCAS SINner convicted of a crime has his SIN changed (or a tag amended) to a Criminal SIN. I fail to see why there would be any differentiation between the two, let alone separate facilities for each. Both now have the exact same rights (or lack thereof), and would be treated in the same manner (barring variables such as bribes and the like).

Jurisdiction is a totally different matter. An Ares citizen convicted of a crime would have an Ares Criminal SIN, and might very well go to an Ares facility ... if Ares is the Corporation that convicted him. If he's committed a crime in UCAS jurisdiction however, he just might be incarcerated in a Federal institution, or even a prison run by one of the other Corporations. This would not be any different from a SINless person convicted in these same jurisdictions though, except that technically the SINless criminal would be lucky to get to trial if he was caught on Extraterritorial property.

I disagree. First, a SINless who is assigned a Criminal SIN is different from a SINner who is ameneded to have a Criminal SIN. On the very face of it there is a difference in the data being tracked: in the case of the (former) SINless, they have gone from an essentially anonymous non-person with limited rights to being a tracked non-person with limited rights. The SINner retains their rights and citizenship, but is now catagorized as a criminal as well.

Its the matter of rights and citizenship that is the key point of difference here. To begin with, and ARES citizen (with an ARES SIN) is highly unlikely to be held in a Lonestar (say...) facility for any length of time without serious extradition trials and the intervention of the corporate court. Not least of which is due to the fact that they are rivals (via Knight Errant security). Imagine, essentially, if a US citizen was arrested and held in China while visiting the Olympics. Sure, it can, and does happen, but its major news and usually a diplomatic incident, more if the crime is not considered one in the parent nation.

Then there is the matter of rights. A SIN (pre-criminal) provides far more rights and legal protections than being SINless, even in a dystopic future. People WANT these things, after all. While the Corp may not particularly care for you, if they routinely ignore their part of their contracts with their citizens it will create problems for the bottom line in the long run.

Now, regarding a UCAS run facility... if there are any facilities actually RUN by the UCAS, certainly they would be capable of housing prisoners from a variety of corporations. However, given the tone of Shadowrun and the current, Real World, trend towards contracted prison facilities, I believe such facilities to be extraordinarily rare and reserved for very specific types of criminals. Instead, their contracts with the various megacorporations would ensure that an ARES citizen is remanded into an ARES run prison and an MCT citizen is remanded to an MCT run facility, or (more likely in that case), one of their choice.

A prision housing corporate citizen criminals would have better overall facilities, as ideally the Corporation would like to return their assets (personnel) to the black ink column of their ledgers as quickly as possible, meaning rehabilitation (VR braindance, etc), rather than simple incarceration, is the key. For prisoners who cannot be rehabilitated realistically, then there is a PR benefit to showing how humane they are compared to prisons for the SINless (former, since you seem to be hung up up on the fact that their status changes), and of course you can still have family in the corp who will work better knowing their incarcerated relatives are reasonably comfortable and safe. Its not about actual humane behavior so much as careful management of morale and PR.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Dec 11 2008, 10:11 PM) *
I found prison to be boring. You spend most of the time watching TV, playing cards, or then waiting for your once a week moment in the rec room. You have no idea of time unless it is mentioned on TV. I remember mostly sleeping.

Some places even charge you for all the amenities. You have to pay for everything, not to mention the rent of the room. I think one place in the U.S. charged 60 bucks a day.

Now fast forward to 2070. You not only pay for everything, you are expected to work around prison. It is like the ACHE, but without any of the horror effects. Day in day out you see the same prisoners and at some point a fight breaks out. You get shanked and you go to the infirmary where a doctor who had his medical license revoked tries to stop you from dying with equipment from the 1970s. Then you get the bill afterwards down to the bandaids used.

If the prisoners don't like mouthy prisoners, think what happens with the guards. You get put in the hole for four days for wisecracking the guards. You decide that you are going to show how macho you are and punch a guard. The whole wing goes on lockdown and TV rights are revoked for the month. Guess who is going to get some "street justice" in the showers next week.

So you end up with cliques of people. The latinos will be with the latinos, orcs with orcs, and humanis will be running the kitchen. You don't want to join a gang and you are alone. No-one will look after you. This is when the more aggressive and stronger individuals will become aggressive. So he puts his hand on your thigh and says your his now. You fight back and suddenly you are going to get some "street justice" in the rec room next week.

You kill someone in prison and your sentence gets longer, you get accused of a crime in prison your sentence gets longer.

It is not about cyberware or skills, it's about who you know and how you are going to protect your back.

????? What did you do to be sent there?

Ok chummers, here I go with my 0.02 nuyen.gif :
I don't think that corps run many prisons. Deteining a someone for a short term while waiting for the sentence is a thing (included in a fat contract for citywide law enforcement for the matter), running a prison with several K prisoners to feed and keep in check is another (not cost efficient); corps exist for profit, they go after the big money first and the scraps later, and they try to avoid this kind of moneydrain like a plague if possible.
If I well remember in the Lone Star sourcebook it was stated that most of prisons are left to federal govern to run, and those that are run by corps (probably also a few federal too) are slave camps in which prisoners are forced to work for free or (ab)used in other ways (as "vuluntires" for experiment, "star" of some reality show, I think there has been a prison in which the manager of the facility forced prisoniers to play some bloodsport and tryed to sell the feeds to media networs); the stuff nightmares are made off (in addition to the inmate violence).
The Lone Star sourcebook descripts the penal system quite a bit before the crash, some of those things are outdated but I think it's for most part relevant.
If you want a less bleak enviroment you can have federal prisons run with security forces provided by corporate contractors (for a price) in which things are bad (overpopulation and releted problems) but not terrible, minimum human rights are accorded to prisoniers and living conditions are kept from becoming unbearable (barely), the prisoniers probably won't be asked to work (drones form the backbone for gruntwork and desperates for work are numerous) but the option might be given (for PR reasons: we reduce criminality teaching them how to earn a living honestly), they will even be payed (as before for PR, the pay will also be LOW). The prison will go heavy with simsense in an attempt to keep peoples to vent out on each other (the corp that provides the security probably put some mental conditioning in) and if you can watch your back you can go trough relatively intact (also you could learn some tricks, it stands a reason if prison is called "the school" in the shadows).
The corp could also reduce the population by allowing the prisoners to sign "reabilitation contracts" (so many peoples all at once, willing to do just about any job for almost free, the corp just have to chose what she needs them for), this contracts could be just a cover for taking guineas pig, could be recruiting cannon fodder for Desert Wars (the two things could be combined) or some other bloody show (Azzies bloodsports, or sacrifices), or maybe they look for specific talents (keep tissue samples and you are covered better than with a kink bomb). This would allow the corp to tap in the metahuman potential of the prison.
Naturaly accitents tend to happen (especialy if the bloodtype is required), and when someone buyes the farm the body must be disposed to safeguard the igenical conditions of the facility.
Emerged are kept in a no signal zone while awekened are probably kept undergruond in havily warded facilities with patroling spirits, the most talented are kept busy with magical research, other are assigned to enchanting, if the corp trustes them enough (ritual samples, remember?) can let them out to help other activities. Naturaly mental conditioning will be attempted but won't be much to avoid ruining the talent (unless the subject is source of problems), the magitian may not be able to remember to have signed, or could find his sentence extended, or if he realy can't even lay low avoiding giving problems he will be druged with deepweed and exosed to FAB III until he burnes out.
Spike
I can't speak to what other Shadowrun books have put out, but I can correct one misapprehension: Prisons are a big business, even today.

Right now we can say that it costs roughly 50k to house a prisoner for one year in lockup. So, a contract to a private business to house x number of prisoners at a fee of 50k a head is reasonable, if keeping the margin on profitablity exceedingly narrow. Now, the more prisoners in one facility, the lower the cost per prisoner, though we work from the average cost.

So, if the business can find a way to get costs down to to say 40k a head, and they do this for 1000 prisoners, they can add roughly 10 million dollars a year in profit from that facility alone.

So, in a excessively profit driven future, it behooves a corporation wishing to make money from prisons on contract from teh Fed to reduce costs per prisoner as much as possible. Of course, since their profits are also driven by number of prisoners housed they have to keep them alive and incarcerated. While work programs can be a source for some minor profits for the prison system, the cost/benefit ratio may not work out, particularly for the type of prisoners we are talking about here. Access to tools and raw materials means access to potential weapons to kill one another with. Access to the outside for labor projects means potential escapes and raises administrative costs (and cost per prisoner) while simultaniously increasing likelihood of escapes (and thus a hit to their contract renegotiations...).

So if my postulated Port Orchard Pit Penitentary were online and had a record of 0 breakouts, no reported riots (supressed in the early stages with narcoject gas, or what have you) and a lower fatality rate than competitors prisons, then the management is virutally garaunteed to retain the contract over an unproven competetor, or a proven one who can't match that record. If costs per prisoner are low enough, that further gives wiggle room on renegotations if a competitor manages to put up a strong counter-offer, the management can afford to lower their bid enough to keep their contract while still remaining extremely lucrative... though of course they'd rather hire shadowrunners to make sure it didn't come to that!

Of course, we haven't touched on how Magically active prisoners are handled yet, but I think most of us could agree such prisoners would be viewed as a more valuable asset elsewhere, rather than as highly problematic prisoners. Given the math involved, I'm sure the corp in question, if possible, would continue to count the person as a prisoner for headcounts, even if the individual was roaming free doing whatever for the corp elsewhere... maybe with a rfid tag tracker implanted under their skin.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 10 2008, 06:25 PM) *
You can leave out the gangrape in the shower's, I don't run that kind of game biggrin.gif

It isn't a gang if there's only one. It isn't rape if they are willing. Just be sure Bubba the Love Troll is capable of casting Influence ork.gif

On topic, depending on location/control, I would probably run it as a modern-day correctional facility or a PoW prison/interrogation camp. As I only have a general idea of what those are like, I suggest research.
Fortune
QUOTE (Spike @ Dec 13 2008, 04:52 AM) *
I disagree. First, a SINless who is assigned a Criminal SIN is different from a SINner who is amended to have a Criminal SIN.

Please provide canon evidence of this. As far as I am concerned, a Criminal SIN is a Criminal SIN. I am not aware of any canon statements that differentiate between former SINners and former SINless when it comes to how they are treated after being convicted.

I basically disagree with pretty much all of your post.
mrlost
I've been prepping a prison break scenario for a few days now in the vein of Escape from New York with some modifications. Basically the prison would be in a special economic zone where labor laws have been put on hold, and the prisoners have the choice to either work or starve. If they choose to work they are put to work in Corp run factories in the prison, skilled labor requires them to be chipped (which requires that they pay for the operation either with saved Corp credit, or private funds) but offers better pay and thus better living conditions in the complex.

The unemployed prisoners eke out an existence in the ruins of a bombed out city on the edge of the factory complex, there are few sources of carbohydrates or protein besides that provided (stolen or traded) by the workers, leading to the establishment of a micro economy built on prostitution and cannibalism. Gangs of prisoners have turned to organized cannibalism to survive, while others kidnap their fellows to sell them to Corporate organleggers and Benraku recruiters.

The special economic zone is located on an island patrolled in large part by flying and submersible drones. I was going to use Big Willie from Runner Havens (the prison south of Hamburg).

Hopeful some of that may help you.
Chrysalis
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Dec 12 2008, 10:30 PM) *
????? What did you do to be sent there?

I was teaching Finnish in Minnesota and a student accused me of sexual misconduct with a minor. After the second day I figured out this was not a joke.

It was a new jail and I spent four days there. I mostly read Ian Fleming and Dick Francis.

I got out with a misdemeanor and a fine of 150 dollars in late August. i have to thank a certain game's shop owner for having me sleep in his back room for the time.

Never going back to the U.S. without really, really important reasons.

It did make me look a lot into American prisons. I think the jist which I found is that American prisons are meant to punish. Prisoners are "bad guys", because of this confrontational approach there is a high potential of violent confrontations between prisoners and guards. In women's prisons abuse by prison guards is actually quite common. I found that the more south you go, the higher the problems and the more strong the shift from rehabilitation to punishment.

Rehabilitation is quite uncommon. Iowa and Utah are one of the few states in the U.S. which offers limited college programmes. Very few prisons in the U.S. offer high-school education. Only 1-5% of the prison population have Master's or degrees in higher education.

Work in prison is also become less common as population grows.

Prisons are really big business, have a look at: Corrections Corporation of America.

I don't really need to think of prison as evil, or Shadowrun since reading through reports it's easy.

You want hell. Arizona has one prison which involves army surplus tents. Food is airlifted in twice a week. Prisoners are expected to monitor themselves. There is a minefield around the perimeter and is monitored by guards with SUVs and automatic weapons.

Now in 2070 you are a SINNER and you are a second class citizen. Habeas Corpus has been suspended in UCAS and every prison is just a blackbox where stuff happens. No appeals processes. Think of black ops prisons of the CIA but run on the federal level.

Fortune
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Dec 13 2008, 11:35 PM) *
I think the jist which I found is that American prisons are meant to punish.

I think it's a bit unfair to call out American prisons on this. I don't really see many European prisons being much different, especially in England and France.
Shadow
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Dec 13 2008, 06:35 AM) *
I was teaching Finnish in Minnesota and a student accused me of sexual misconduct with a minor.

Never, ever, put yourself in a position where a woman (of any age) can cry rape. In any country. It is the one thing you can pretty much garentee that will get you screwed (and not in the pleseant way). This happened to so many guys when I was in the Army. A girl didn't get the promotion she wanted, "the Seargent touched me" next day, bam promotion. Always have another teacher in the room with you, never be alone with a girl (of any age) unless you are 100% sure they arn't going to turn around and cry wolf. Some advce from one victim to another. Luckily I didn't have to go to jail, but it put a hurten on my Army career.
Chrysalis
Yeah we were supposed to have training on what is appropriate behaviour, we never did.

Anyways, it was an experience. Not a nice one, but it has made me leery. Last year I was doing my teaching degree and I asked about sexual misconduct from our principle and he remembered in the 15 years he has been principal of two cases. It also showed in its lack during our teacher training.

It's also a major cultural difference between Finland and some other countries, such as the U.S. I know that we will have it land in Finland in the next ten years, but at the moment it hasn't... *knock on wood*.

Anyways this a major redirection of the topic of what prison would be like in 2070.

AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Dec 13 2008, 01:35 PM) *
I was teaching Finnish in Minnesota and a student accused me of sexual misconduct with a minor. After the second day I figured out this was not a joke.

It was a new jail and I spent four days there. I mostly read Ian Fleming and Dick Francis.

I got out with a misdemeanor and a fine of 150 dollars in late August. i have to thank a certain game's shop owner for having me sleep in his back room for the time.

It did make me look a lot into American prisons. I think the jist which I found is that American prisons are meant to punish. Prisoners are "bad guys", because of this confrontational approach there is a high potential of violent confrontations between prisoners and guards. In women's prisons abuse by prison guards is actually quite common. I found that the more south you go, the higher the problems and the more strong the shift from rehabilitation to punishment.

Rehabilitation is quite uncommon. Iowa and Utah are one of the few states in the U.S. which offers limited college programmes. Very few prisons in the U.S. offer high-school education. Only 1-5% of the prison population have Master's or degrees in higher education.

Prisons are really big business, have a look at: Corrections Corporation of America.

I don't really need to think of prison as evil, or Shadowrun since reading through reports it's easy.

You want hell. Arizona has one prison which involves army surplus tents. Food is airlifted in twice a week. Prisoners are expected to monitor themselves. There is a minefield around the perimeter and is monitored by guards with SUVs and automatic weapons.

Now in 2070 you are a SINNER and you are a second class citizen. Habeas Corpus has been suspended in UCAS and every prison is just a blackbox where stuff happens. No appeals processes. Think of black ops prisons of the CIA but run on the federal level.

What had you done to the student? Also what is intended with "sexual misconduct" and what consequences reciving a misdemeanor has?
Rad
Could easily have been a case of making-drek-up on the kid's part. Hell, the cops in my town beat a pizza shop owner in his own home and then charged him with resiting arrest after a kid next door called 911 and claimed he saw someone kick the door in. Nevermind the door was locked when they got there and there were pictures of the guy with his family all over the place.

Back on topic, there's a fiction piece at the end of Runner's Companion that describes the inside of a 2070's shadowrun prison. IIRC, it was patrolled by drones programed to scan for key words among the prisoner's conversations, so if you tried to plan a break out or start a riot (or just didn't choose your words carefully enough) you got hit with crowd-control ordinance.
Matsci
QUOTE (Rad @ Dec 15 2008, 04:38 AM) *
Could easily have been a case of making-drek-up on the kid's part. Hell, the cops in my town beat a pizza shop owner in his own home and then charged him with resiting arrest after a kid next door called 911 and claimed he saw someone kick the door in. Nevermind the door was locked when they got there and there were pictures of the guy with his family all over the place.

That's cus the cops in this area are racist bastards who will storm the house of an eleven year old kid to arrest him, because he said something that might threaten someone, and his last name sounds Mexican.

Not like I'm speaking from experience or anything.
Rad
Well, the pizza shop owner was white...

...when I spent a month in juvie because a woman claimed (lied) that I assaulted her (she actually attacked me, then called the cops, I did nothing), that might have had something to do with my hispanic surname.

Or, y'know, my history of violence and mental problems. biggrin.gif
SamVDW
- There would have to be items to prevent magic; like a focus bound to mages that makes them unable to cast.
- There would have to be items to disable cyberware; like some sort of electronic item that blocks their use.
- Guards will be armed with less-lethal when near prisoners, and lethal away from prisoners (like on walls or in towers).
- Drones and magical spirits would patrol inside the prison and the perimeter.
- Bio-enhanced dogs (or critters) would be available for searches.
- Response teams that are highly armed and armored would be available within several minutes.
- Overall prisoner rights in 2070 or later would be lessened, especially at a corporate prison.
- Podular housing units would group inmates up according to classification.
- Lots of things would probably be automated, such as food service, laundry, etc.
- Daily formal counts of the entire facility population (2-3 times per day)

The list could go on... lots of really good ideas in this thread. Also, lots of directions you could go with it.
SamVDW
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Dec 13 2008, 07:35 AM) *

There is a huge difference between jail and prison. Ask any convict.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Rad @ Dec 15 2008, 06:22 AM) *
Well, the pizza shop owner was white...

...when I spent a month in juvie because a woman claimed (lied) that I assaulted her (she actually attacked me, then called the cops, I did nothing), that might have had something to do with my hispanic surname.

Or, y'know, my history of violence and mental problems. biggrin.gif

And what did the woman want?
Rad
I was in a receiving home at the time, she worked there. I was running on the treadmill when I got a call from a family member, and went to take the call with the plastic key that starts the treadmill still around my wrist.

She came up and started demanding that I give her the key to the treadmill, since I wasn't using it at that instant, and then tried to rip it off my arm. I put down the phone, stood up, and she ran into the staff room and called the cops. Told 'em I broke a chair and attacked her.

Apparently I can be pretty imposing when I stand up.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Rad @ Dec 15 2008, 09:39 AM) *
I was in a receiving home at the time, she worked there. I was running on the treadmill when I got a call from a family member, and went to take the call with the plastic key that starts the treadmill still around my wrist.

She came up and started demanding that I give her the key to the treadmill, since I wasn't using it at that instant, and then tried to rip it off my arm. I put down the phone, stood up, and she ran into the staff room and called the cops. Told 'em I broke a chair and attacked her.

Apparently I can be pretty imposing when I stand up.

Didn't the cops notice that there was no broken chairs? Or she hadn't a single scratch on her?
Unless you did something to her (in which way did you stand up?).
Also isn't accusing someone to have committed a crime he hasn't committed a crime in it's own? Why didn't you sue her?

P.S.
Stupid question from a non-english lenguage native, what's a treadmill?
Rad
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Dec 15 2008, 01:12 AM) *
Didn't the cops notice that there was no broken chairs?

I guess not. I went to my room after the incident, stayed there until the cops showed up, told me she had placed me under citizen's arrest for assaulting her (Don't you have to actually inform the person when you do that?) I incredulously asked if there was something they could do to override that, as I hadn't done anything and thought citizens arrest was a joke from TV. The officer said no and carted me off to juvenile hall. What they did or didn't bother to investigate on their way up is unknown to me.

Or she hadn't a single scratch on her?

See above.

Unless you did something to her (in which way did you stand up?).

Quickly, angrily, that's about it. No physical contact after she stopped trying to rip the plastic key off my wrist.

Also isn't accusing someone to have committed a crime he hasn't committed a crime in it's own?

I think so, not sure, actually. Also not sure whether false arrest counts for citizen's arrest cases.

Why didn't you sue her?

That requires lawyers, which requires money. You can't sue anybody when you're a penniless 16 year-old ward of the state.

Matter of fact, if you actually want a trial by jury, the party that requests it has to pay for it in most cases. I hear some town recently suspended jury trials to cut costs due to the bad economy.

Think you still get jury trials for big things like murder cases, not sure though. My case never actually went to trial. I spent about a month in there waiting for it to come up, then she grew a conscience (or realized she couldn't prove it) and dropped the charges.

P.S.
Stupid question from a non-english lenguage native, what's a treadmill?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadmill
AllTheNothing
Did she at least apologyze with you, a month locked up is going to be irksome, espcialy if innocent.
Grinder
QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 11 2008, 02:25 AM) *

I recommend State of the Art: 2064 which has a whole chapter dealing with prisons. Even though it's about pre-Crash 2.0 most of the information is still useful for your campaign, I'd say.
Chrysalis
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Dec 14 2008, 07:42 PM) *
What had you done to the student? Also what is intended with "sexual misconduct" and what consequences reciving a misdemeanor has?

I put my arm around the student. She felt uncomfortable I apologised and I did not think anything of it afterwards. I am informed by our supervisor Sunday night that she felt really uncomfortable and I asked if we could talk about it and see if we could come to a resolution. She refused. The next day I get called in by the person who runs the camp.

I spend the day in the staff building as they sort out the storm going on. I am arrested and picked up by Bemidji officers that afternoon and escorted to prison. It was Monday and the first they do is get me to cancel my flight (very considerate of them) and phoned my mother. I spend the next four days in with the less criminally minded. Most had been picked up for disorderly conduct or similar charges. We had one trucker who was pulled over on being under cocaine.

After being released I spent most of my time worrying on whether I was going to state prison or not. While my uncle had arranged a lawyer I had not really been appraised of what would happen. A misdemeanor in my case was a disorderly conduct charge (which I felt to be just).

The crux actually felt that it would have demanded that the family become involved in the case so that it would have actually turned into a grand jury case. That did not happen and it was settled out of court to the satisfaction of both my defence and the prosecutor.

A felony would involve me being banned from holding a position which would involve contact with a minor and a possible registration in the sex offenders registry. It also has a 15-20 year prison sentence attached.

What ate me up was the not-knowing. If I was off to prison I could readjust myself to that goal, but I did not know.

The problem in the public's eye with sexual harrassment or misconduct is that you have to prove you did not do it. It's a similar situation as proving that a chocobo does not exist.

The whole thing cost me about 4000 dollars in total, and during the Fall of 2007, I had to work many jobs to pay back my uncle, my brother, and still have enough money to survive on. It all worked out in the end, but has made me leery about the whole thing, child shy as well.

I think a great benefit from it was that I had to face some of my own demons. My dad sexually molested my younger brother. He has never been charged with it. My brother and mother refuses to admit it (denial being very powerful forces), and my dad at the moment is living somewhere in Alberta far away from Finland. My dad, I do style as a sexual predator who uses his position of authority to take on a dominating role with impressionable young men. I saw him for a day in 2003 and I was just paralyzed and overwhelmed. He was so much more shorter than I remembered, and while I could see he could operate in society I just him as being a narcissist and insane.

During my childhood what I remember of my father is that of him being psychologically and at times physically abusive. I felt that the whole family for him was simply a ruse to hide his homosexuality, and the rest of the family some of its topology. At the time though I felt it to be normal to live in fear and in some ways I still feel that abuse inside a family is normal.

My nightmare was not the charge in the summer of 2007, but looking in the mirror and seeing my father staring back at me. And being hit with years of guilt and self-hatred after bottling it all up for so many years.

So yeah, life sucks. And you ask a question and expect the tourist answer, I think you have been seriously disappointed.
ornot
Back on a lighter note more pertinent to the OP; I'm in favour of JonathanC's suggestion.

Prison is big business, but if Corps are keen to avoid being associated with criminal or unethical activity, they aren't going to want 207x Amnesty International or various civil rights groups publicising inhumane practices.

My biggest problem with Spike's Pit System is that there is no way to single out inmates for punishment, hence there is no way to prevent stronger or more influential inmates from controlling others' access to shelter, food and medical care. Consequently The Pit fails in its goal to limit inmate death or murder.

I also think the distinction between the formerly SINless and criminal SINners is erroneous. Once a person has been registered, they are a legitimate citizen, albeit one with a black mark. The fact that they officially exist means they must be kept track of, even during incarceration, and upon release.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Dec 15 2008, 12:44 PM) *
I put my arm around the student. She felt uncomfortable I apologised and I did not think anything of it afterwards. I am informed by our supervisor Sunday night that she felt really uncomfortable and I asked if we could talk about it and see if we could come to a resolution. She refused. The next day I get called in by the person who runs the camp.

I spend the day in the staff building as they sort out the storm going on. I am arrested and picked up by Bemidji officers that afternoon and escorted to prison. It was Monday and the first they do is get me to cancel my flight (very considerate of them) and phoned my mother. I spend the next four days in with the less criminally minded. Most had been picked up for disorderly conduct or similar charges. We had one trucker who was pulled over on being under cocaine.

After being released I spent most of my time worrying on whether I was going to state prison or not. While my uncle had arranged a lawyer I had not really been appraised of what would happen. A misdemeanor in my case was a disorderly conduct charge (which I felt to be just).

The crux actually felt that it would have demanded that the family become involved in the case so that it would have actually turned into a grand jury case. That did not happen and it was settled out of court to the satisfaction of both my defence and the prosecutor.

A felony would involve me being banned from holding a position which would involve contact with a minor and a possible registration in the sex offenders registry. It also has a 15-20 year prison sentence attached.

What ate me up was the not-knowing. If I was off to prison I could readjust myself to that goal, but I did not know.

The problem in the public's eye with sexual harrassment or misconduct is that you have to prove you did not do it. It's a similar situation as proving that a chocobo does not exist.

The whole thing cost me about 4000 dollars in total, and during the Fall of 2007, I had to work many jobs to pay back my uncle, my brother, and still have enough money to survive on. It all worked out in the end, but has made me leery about the whole thing, child shy as well.

I think a great benefit from it was that I had to face some of my own demons. My dad sexually molested my younger brother. He has never been charged with it. My brother and mother refuses to admit it (denial being very powerful forces), and my dad at the moment is living somewhere in Alberta far away from Finland. My dad, I do style as a sexual predator who uses his position of authority to take on a dominating role with impressionable young men. I saw him for a day in 2003 and I was just paralyzed and overwhelmed. He was so much more shorter than I remembered, and while I could see he could operate in society I just him as being a narcissist and insane.

During my childhood what I remember of my father is that of him being psychologically and at times physically abusive. I felt that the whole family for him was simply a ruse to hide his homosexuality, and the rest of the family some of its topology. At the time though I felt it to be normal to live in fear and in some ways I still feel that abuse inside a family is normal.

My nightmare was not the charge in the summer of 2007, but looking in the mirror and seeing my father staring back at me. And being hit with years of guilt and self-hatred after bottling it all up for so many years.

So yeah, life sucks. And you ask a question and expect the tourist answer, I think you have been seriously disappointed.

Chrysalis, I apologize for my question has turned out to be inopportune.
You have my simpaty for what you have been trough and it makes me sad to hear of the problem your father have given you ............. I have no words to express what I feel so I'll just shut up, I just hope in a better future for you; not much that I can do or say.

In bocca al lupo.
wanderer_king
A good source for ideas might be the Fortress films:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_(1993_film)#See_also
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_2:_Re-Entry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012