Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why is wetwork so terrible?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Chrysalis
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Dec 29 2008, 06:08 AM) *
A.) No, I'm not an expert on how to avoid getting caught committing a crime because I'm not a criminal. Mental note: filing serial numbers doesn't work.

I prefer the KISS principle. If the crime lab really is having such a slow day that they are going to spend several million dollars on catching someone. They will. Forensics is really about hunches, they have to know it is there to find it. If serial numbers are concerning you go out and buy Grey's Anatomy, three thick bladed knives, and teach yourself to stab.

In Shadowrun's world of media, unless it is on the news or a friend of those who make the news - no one will hear it and no-one will care.

B.) I am never going to Finland. Or in any way intentionally getting Chrysalis angry.

Why Red_Cap you say the nicest of things.
Tachi
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Dec 29 2008, 04:32 AM) *
go out and buy Grey's Anatomy, three thick bladed knives, and teach yourself to stab.

I learned the basics of how to use a knife when I was 8. But then I couldn't find a new teacher. This^^ is pretty much what I did to expand my skills until I did finally find one.

Knife practice necessary equipment:
large mirror
a roll of 1 inch electrical tape
knife
working knowledge of anatomy
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 27 2008, 03:56 PM) *
You haven't been paying much attention, have you? Crysalis has consistently presented a feminine persona in threads where gender actually mattered.

It happens, you know fleshworld can be a such pain with its contingenties. nyahnyah.gif

As for my question, I had noticed a certain femmine (read caring) touch in hers posts, to the point that I was tempted to call her lady from the first time she responded to a post of mine; I avoided to do so because I didn't want to offend her in case she was a male (I just hope my statement makes sense), but now I can. Thanks.
Red_Cap
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Dec 29 2008, 04:32 AM) *
Why Red_Cap you say the nicest of things.

Oh, I know what the ladies like. wink.gif

Plus, Tachi? Where in the Front Range are you? I'd like to know so I can avoid pissing you off, too.
Tachi
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Dec 29 2008, 12:44 PM) *
Plus, Tachi? Where in the Front Range are you? I'd like to know so I can avoid pissing you off, too.

Colo Spgs
And, don't worry, up until my 18th b-day (when I could be tried as an adult) I was actually a bit of a monster. My only real interest was: Violence-the Application of. Since then I've grown up, a bit. My current interests are more along the line of: Violence-Application and Prevention of (at least if it's aimed at me, I'm getting kinda old to be fighting all the time). Oh yeah, and Shadowrun.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Tachi @ Dec 29 2008, 12:40 PM) *
I learned the basics of how to use a knife when I was 8. But then I couldn't find a new teacher. This^^ is pretty much what I did to expand my skills until I did finally find one.

Knife practice necessary equipment:
large mirror
a roll of 1 inch electrical tape
knife
working knowledge of anatomy

It seems the description of a "how to learn seppuku by yourself" training method.
Morrigana
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Dec 30 2008, 12:25 PM) *
It seems the description of a "how to learn seppuku by yourself" training method.

Couldn't that just be accomplished via a Control spell and a street sam willing to hold the blade?
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Dec 24 2008, 07:42 AM) *
Current soldier with three tours in Iraq.

The nightmares... Check. Severe family problems... Check. Seeing nothing wrong with plugging a hostile... Check.

I actually have trouble in really crowded areas like malls and sporting events, along with completely quitting drinking. My non-military friends have actually noticed lots of changes in me. For one thing, I don't like standing around in the open, or with people behind me. I'm always watching everyone's hands in my area. Whenever we go to a restraint now, they actually pick a table near a wall without me having to tell them to.

Also, most of us won't talk about what really happen unless we are with others who went through something like we did. Not just snipers get confirmed kills ether. Any gunner on a vehicle will end up with several pretty damn fast.

P.S.
I'm a brain, working with the sneaky sneak guys.
I have a friend who'sd done 2 tours, MP seen lots, quirky sense of humor soem grim and not pc stories, but he also did guard duty at WTC and he dropped hints of horrors he saw but refuses to give details. Considering what he has told me of Iraq, I'm willing to take him at his word it is horrible.

back on topic, there's a difference between professional killers- bang- and the pyscho who throws fluffy into the wood chipper. the psycho is going to get caught if only because he'll weird out the peiople around him. The cold shooter will be more of a problem but apparently the problem with people like that, from what I've read, this does pass outside even my life experience, is that after a while they get bitter about it all and so then sloppy
Wounded Ronin
My question is, why wouldn't a person want to talk about it? I think it's psychologically important to be able to talk about it. If you ever read the Vietnam War memoir "And A Hard Rain Fell" the author describes how he couldn't talk about the stuff he wrote about for years and finally he had this big emotional explosion and sat down at a typewriter and wrote his book.

I really enjoy reading Vietnam War memoirs and one thing that strikes me is the really different ways people seem to take their war experience. The guy who wrote "And A Hard Rain Fell" had enlisted to avoid being drafted and got a relatively "cushy" job involved with vehicle maintenance, but he didn't like the military lifestyle and ended up once or twice in combat situations by accident, and then he was all traumatized to the extreme according to his own writing.

If you read "Gone Native", however, the author was involved in a lot more combat and in a lot more dangerous situations (i.e. LRRP and other pretty dangerous things) but he basically doesn't describe any angst related directly to having been in combat situations. He had the chance to not be in combat but opted to put himself in dangerous combat situations instead, writing something along the lines of "not being in combat would have been like being on a basketball team but never playing in the game, instead just sitting on the bench the whole game." The author *did* have some problems (he got busted after he asked for some pot at a bar back in the US and when the cops were beating the crap out of him and taking him down he screamed, "I've killed better men than you!"; he also got court martialed for attempting to frag an officer who had been refusing to let him see his Vietnamese wife or something like that) but all of his problems seem to be related basically to run-ins with establishment or "law and order". When he's talking about participating in violent situations the tone of his writing is in fact mostly positive. It's actually a very interesting book I'd recommend to everyone: http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Native-Story-Al...0247&sr=8-1

EDIT: Wow, how about this? One of the reviews for that book says,

Visit Grumpy's in Coon Rapids, MN to meet the author.

HOLY CRAP! That would be so cool, to go and meet the man himself. Unfortunately I recently started a new job so I basically don't have any vacation days to visit some random town in MN. Ah well...
wanderer_king
This kinda annoys me, to the point I have to bring it up. I know this is DSF, but really, if your gonna apply real world situations and realities to Shadowrun, your borking the whole thing already. Thing is, in our world that most major criminals are caught, and crime for hire is a fictional thing by and large. The idea of Shadowrun is (or always has been to me) that everything is run on money, even the police are outsourced. The Corps aren't really interested in catching Shadowrunners, as they may end up hiring them themselves later. Shadowrunners are Deniable Assets, and you don't get anywhere to fast by throwing potential assets away. The truth is that crime is so common as to mean that solving any given crime out of stacks of hundreds (as I have always seen it) of cases assigned to any one officer is extremely unlikely. So you probably won't see ever RL style forenisics applied to any given crime scene, unless the is:
A. Personal stake for law enforcement (i.e. they are personally affected by the crime or you go around killing cops.)
B. Media attention.
C. Is a crime so heinous as to get attention from most of the bureau.
D. It gets heat from above (I.E. affects a major politician or superior officer.

Local Lone Star station:
"Here's another robbery case." Officer
"Really? What was stolen?" Detective
"Corp says they don't have to say... it's proprietary data." Officer
"Anyone killed?" Detective
"No." Officer
"I'll get right on it." Detective throws it on a large stack of unsolved cases.
Pendaric
Having re-read the title I do think that if you have to ask this question, you have missed the point.

Its a moral stance. It is the way humanity looks at the subject of murder.

Is the glass half full or half empty. For example.

A professional thief is not by extension a killer or rapist. Hell most mobsters look down on phedophiles.

It is a rationale. Its what you can live with and still look in the mirror each morning.

Edited for spelling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012