Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mentor spirit bonuses
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyro
If a mentor spirit gives, say, "+2 dice to spirits of man", does that apply only to summoning or also to binding and/or banishing?
TheOOB
It would apply to all three, just as a bonus to a spell category applies to spellcasting, ritual spellcasting, ad counterspelling.
Tyro
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Dec 19 2008, 06:40 PM) *
It would apply to all three, just as a bonus to a spell category applies to spellcasting, ritual spellcasting, ad counterspelling.

Many thanks. I thought so, but I had to be sure smile.gif
The Jake
On a side note, I wish mentor's didn't cost BP. It just seems to excessive. I liked how it worked in the older rules... sigh...

- J.
Jaid
you get to pick 2 bonuses and 1 drawback from a list of what will mechanically optimise your character. and many of the drawbacks just encourage you to act a certain way. mentor spirits are, generally speaking, worth it.
TheOOB
The drawback is usually either a)minor compared to the bonuses, or b)more role play then anything else, and the bonuses are quite good. My current character is running moon maiden(+2 illusion, +2 negotiation, -1 combat). The bonuses to illusion and negotiation help make me the front man of the group, and are generally fairly awesome. The -1 combat hurts(especially on counterspelling), but I have overcome it by specializing in combat spells with both spellcasting and counterspelling(turning my -1 penalty into a +1 bonus).

You are getting a powerful bonus, and a useful ally as well, mentor spirits have this habit of popping up sometimes with very useful, if cryptic advice.
Tyro
Ouch, I hadn't realized that the penalty to Combat spells applied to Counterspelling them.
RedeemerofOgar
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 20 2008, 07:37 PM) *
Ouch, I hadn't realized that the penalty to Combat spells applied to Counterspelling them.

Nor had I. Does it apply to Drain as well?
pbangarth
QUOTE (RedeemerofOgar @ Dec 24 2008, 01:12 PM) *
Nor had I. Does it apply to Drain as well?

The good thing about positive Mentor bonuses is that they apply to every aspect of the function they affect. The bad thing about negative Mentor bonuses is that they apply to every aspect of the function they affect. So, yes.

Peter
Mäx
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 25 2008, 01:56 AM) *
The good thing about positive Mentor bonuses is that they apply to every aspect of the function they affect. The bad thing about negative Mentor bonuses is that they apply to every aspect of the function they affect. So, yes.

Peter

Where does it say that mentor bonuses affect drain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012