Full Version: rea life cyberdeck?!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
pbangarth
Skype sort of fits this function.

Peter
Stahlseele
i realize that.
but i don't wanna skype via UMTS/DSL or whatever, i wanna use this via the usual cell-phone network O.o
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 10 2009, 10:46 PM) *
i realize that.
but i don't wanna skype via UMTS/DSL or whatever, i wanna use this via the usual cell-phone network O.o

It seems me that UMTS IS a cell-phone protocol; also would a lap-top be much better than a cell-phone?
Just think about it, when you turn on a cell-phone it takes some times to initialize and boot its OS, just like a lap-top would, but being the cell-phone porpouse to make calls and little else (the reason because the other functionalities are samwhat crappy is because they want to implement them without compromising the selling points of the cell-phone, very smal size and fast interface optimized for making calls (some models are not opimized, I loath cell-phones with all those icons to scroll trought or those pseudo-computer keybord so small that it's an issue to push the right key and not other three) which prevents the development of a proper interface for more complex functions), while the computer porpouse is to proces and store datas; the main barrier is interface, the interface for an optimal interaction with a computer reqiuires two things an input and an output, the output is the screen and the audio, the input for complex interaction is the keybord and the mouse/touch pad/touch sceen; as shown in a link in this thread the output is little as a problem, but the same can't be said for the input as ther is a size below wich keys are hard to be pushed, slowing down the tiping. Now this is (along the technological difficulties) the reason because laptops and cell-phones have developed as two different type of devices, making a call doesn't require much tiping while it is required to be easily accessible and transportable (smal interface), while complex interaction requires easy insertion of command and larger display, so larger intup-output.
Due the interface barrier (particulary for the input) lap-tops will continue to be too big to fit into a pocket (and cell-phones will keep being crappy as computer substitute), also to function as a cell-phone a lap-top should be carried around turned on and would require a place to stop (walking while using it can be source of ... things to happen), it's not very patical.
If you mean to use it when you are working without having to use the phone you software can fix it just as well, the closest thing would be to have the lap-top have a slot for a SIM-card, you siglate a contract with a provider and slot the SIM in, install a software from the provider (that is run at the system boot and stands in background until called for) that manages the connection and operates the various protocls (a virtual cell-phone), it wouldn't be much different from using skype or whatnot, and it would require to have specific hardware for the SIM-card (substancialy buiding a cell-phone into the lap-top) increasing the costs for no real benefit.

What I don't get is: what's wrong in the software way of problem resolution? It's easier and cheaper to implement, mantain and update.
Stahlseele
ok, maybe i should not be one to judge those things . . i don't even know how to operate one of those frigging cell phones . . i don't even own one . . and i got my forst laptop about 6 months ago i think . .
my modus operandi is usually to set up camp somewhere and open up my laptop, if i can find a power outlet somewhere. then i would be reachable by the phone network . . when i am on the move, i usually don't WANNA be reachable at all . .
and no, UMTS is more like DSL and aside of VOIP you don't do phone-calls via DSL either now do you?
it just does not work. i guess that would be the next step, shut down the old net to make room for a good UMTS net and have all of those cell-phones be VOIP-Based in there and use the bandwidth for video calls . .
hmm, if they can get the tech in pico beamers more refined and the projected keyboard too, then you could have a bigger screen and bigger keyboard for your cell-phone to use it as a make-shit computer . .
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 11 2009, 11:55 PM) *
ok, maybe i should not be one to judge those things . . i don't even know how to operate one of those frigging cell phones . . i don't even own one . . and i got my forst laptop about 6 months ago i think . .
my modus operandi is usually to set up camp somewhere and open up my laptop, if i can find a power outlet somewhere. then i would be reachable by the phone network . . when i am on the move, i usually don't WANNA be reachable at all . .
and no, UMTS is more like DSL and aside of VOIP you don't do phone-calls via DSL either now do you?
it just does not work. i guess that would be the next step, shut down the old net to make room for a good UMTS net and have all of those cell-phones be VOIP-Based in there and use the bandwidth for video calls . .
hmm, if they can get the tech in pico beamers more refined and the projected keyboard too, then you could have a bigger screen and bigger keyboard for your cell-phone to use it as a make-shit computer . .

I suppose that calling cell-phones trough internet would require the internet provide to provide a service (as everithing for a fee) that rerootes the stream to the cell-phones network after translating it, they should also give you a phone-number for your virtual-phone.
What's a pico beamer?
Stahlseele
really damn small projector that couild be built into the bigger cell-phones of today.
some were shown at the CES(Consumer Electronics Show) and i read about them on my favourite IT-News Page ^^
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 12 2009, 09:35 AM) *
really damn small projector that couild be built into the bigger cell-phones of today.
some were shown at the CES(Consumer Electronics Show) and i read about them on my favourite IT-News Page ^^

A link pleas?
Also get yourself a cell-phone if you don't want to be reachable just turn it off.
Stahlseele
no.
i don't wanna!
i only have german links because i read tech news in my own language O.o
only the main link fpr CES: http://www.cesweb.org/
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 12 2009, 03:55 PM) *
no.
i don't wanna!
i only have german links because i read tech news in my own language O.o
only the main link fpr CES: http://www.cesweb.org/

Nice link, I haven't found what I was looking for but it was pretty and slowed my 56k connection to something awfull dead.gif , lets smile to avoid to cry smile.gif .
I still think you should have a cell-phone, don't give the number to anyone and keep it for emergency reasons only, what happens if a chihuahua assaults you and your biomonitor glitches, how would you call DocWagon? What you do if you get asked to make a call from a dragon with an assoult cannon? Pissing it off with a "can't be done" isn't the best option.
nezumi
1) Don't get a cell phone and just 'turn it off'. People will think you're daft and will ask why you're the idiot who bought a cell phone but doesn't know how to turn it on. Plus, it'll just get convenient to leave it on and eventually you'll find yourself driving down I-95 with a phone glued to your ear, just like everyone else.

2) Not a lot of companies sell cell phones which are 'emergency use only' compatible. You have a choice between conventional plans ($ridiculous amount/mo) or pre-paid plans, which expire after 3 months. We had an 'emergency cell phone' when my wife was getting ready to spawn, and basically we found it wasn't worth maintaining JUST for emergencies. If your goal is to have an emergency communication device, get a radio. GMRS or CB have a one time cost less than the cost of a phone and that's it. Sure, you're supposed to have a license for GMRS, but if it's only for emergencies, screw that.
Stahlseele
i don't intent to get a cellphone in the next year either.
i have several buddies that own several cellphones each.
and most of the time, neither of them are reachable . .
what's the point of owning that many if you don't use them?

and that's the reason why i won't be bothered with one of
those infernal things . . like this everybody KNOWS they had
better be where we said we would be meeting and on time.
if i don't see a face i know in 15 minutes, i am gone for good.

one would think with THEM owning cars and cellphones they
would be on time most of the time . . but noo . . cars and
cellphones give them excuses like saying:"i can call and
tell everybody that i will be late!" . . sheesh . . technology <.<
KarmaInferno
It's a funny thing, though.

I went for most of my life without a cellphone. Only got my first one a few years ago. Previously I'd just had little need for such a thing, and indeed sneered at my friends that were all getting one.

Today, I not only have a cellphone, but it's a Blackberry. I have the web, e-mail, instant weather, GPS, and of course phone service at my fingertips at all times and really I don't know what I'd do without them.

It creeps up on you, it really does.

By the way, if all you want is a 911-only emergency cellphone, any cellphone will do. Even if it's not currently activated and you don't have a cell phone service plan. The operators are required to put all 911 calls through no matter what. Only thing is, if you DO use a un-activated cellphone to make a 911 call, and you hang up/lose connection to the operator, you have to call them back as you don't have a phone number attached to the cell phone, so they can't call you!

Oh, and <--- assembled on August 27th, 1973

Damn I feel old.

<waves cane at the young'uns>

Precisely. And if you were to lose it, you'd struggle to move back. That's why my computer is an abacus (DSL though, couldn't say no to that) and I do all my own mapwork.
Ryu
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jan 12 2009, 07:55 PM) *
2) Not a lot of companies sell cell phones which are 'emergency use only' compatible. You have a choice between conventional plans ($ridiculous amount/mo) or pre-paid plans, which expire after 3 months. We had an 'emergency cell phone' when my wife was getting ready to spawn, and basically we found it wasn't worth maintaining JUST for emergencies. If your goal is to have an emergency communication device, get a radio. GMRS or CB have a one time cost less than the cost of a phone and that's it. Sure, you're supposed to have a license for GMRS, but if it's only for emergencies, screw that.

Heh. Try the 3 month-con in Germany and you are in legal troubles. I think the specified minimum time of use is one year. (At the very least, I´m only aware of such contracts. Make of that what you want.)
Stahlseele
i work for one of our bigger cell phone providers.
we don't offer contracts below 12 month as far as i know, and those are only "emergency" contracts . .
usually, the contracts are about 24 months
KarmaInferno
I think what's being referred to are pre-paid phones. Those don't actually have a contract, all the minutes are paid for up front.

However, most of those setups have an expiration date on the call time minutes, anywhere from 3 months to a year. If you haven't used up your minutes before the expiration date, the minutes go away no matter how many you have left.

Usually buying new minutes also resets the expiration timer on the old ones. But not always.

We know what you are referring to. Minimum 1 year.
hobgoblin
here is a video of the keyboard in use, and it even sports a battery.

i swear, there must be some cp/sr players working at product design at tech companies these days.

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/03/asus-eee-keyboard-pc-video
TBRMInsanity
I wonder if the Eee Keyboard will run Ubuntu. Windows looks like it crawls on the device. I'm sure Xubuntu would be fine though (if there is driver support).
Mäx
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jan 12 2009, 08:55 PM) *

IN here that isn't a problem, as you can just walk into a shop and buy a cheap cell phone and if you only want it for emergencies you don't need to get any kind of a plan as 112(our 911 ecuilevant) calls can be made even if you don't have a plan.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (ornot @ Jan 8 2009, 02:12 AM) *
The form factor is indeed clever. I wonder what they're doing about heat... Not much space for a heatsink, but then it always amazes me how far that tech has come. When I mucked about with computers cooling was always an issue. I doubt my SO would appreciate me setting up a water cooling system today.

My first computer (or rather mine and my brother's first computer) was a rubber keyboard ZX Spectrum! The first IBM compatible PC we had (which my father bought home prinicipally for work) was an Amstrad with twin floppy drives (5.25"). Yay for 4 colour games!

How about a TRS 80 with 8" Floppy Drives... (I was 13)

As for MY first PC... State of the Art (386-33 with 2x100 MB HD, a TBU (250 mb), a CD-ROM System and both a 5.25" and 3.5" Floppy) all for the Low Low Price of 5,100 Dollars
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012