Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Healing Stun damage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BlackSmith
Came up sudenly.
does the book mean that you wake up after you are reduced ti 9/10 stun boxes (when you don have anymore Deadly stun)
OR
when reduced to 6/10 (when the stun realy is reduced to Serious)?
WhiteRabbit
I've always played it that you woke up when you hit 9/10, since you are no longer at deadly.
Snake Oil
Deadly is 10 boxes. Anything below that is considered Serious or lighter.
BlackSmith
tought so.
stupid language barriers.
Luke Hardison
When you take D physical you don't become conscious again until you get the damage down to Serious. But, then again, with the way you heal physical damage, it doesn't hit 9 boxes until it jumps down to 6, so it's kind of a moot point.
Fortune
Not really. If the person that had a 'D' Physical wasn't given First Aid, but instead was the recipient of a Treat spell that healed one box, he'd be at 9 boxes, a Serious Wound, but he'd be conscious.
RedmondLarry
While our team doesn't know whether the writers intended for Healing Stun Damage (SR3 p. 126) to have characters wake up when they have recovered to 9 boxes or 6 boxes of stun damage, we have chosen to play that the characters wake up at 6 boxes. We are happy with this choice.

Although we use that level for natural recovery from stun, we also play that a character will wake up from the chemicals in a stim patch has temporarily lowered their stun level below 10.
Rev
You could also say that people will wake up at 6 (unless nice and comfy, where they will continue sleeping), but can be woken up at 9 (say if somone shakes them, or they are being eaten by vultures).
Kagetenshi
Rev, I like that solution a lot. Maybe allow a willpower test to wake up earlier under certain circumstances, but this offers the possibility for the whole "throw-water-in-their-face" thing.

~J
BlackSmith
IIRC CC has rules for staying awake, but reys solution sounds best.
it even goes along the rules smile.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (Rev)
You could also say that people will wake up at 6 (unless nice and comfy, where they will continue sleeping), but can be woken up at 9 (say if somone shakes them, or they are being eaten by vultures).

Yeah, that's what I do too smile.gif
RedmondLarry
A character can not have more than 10 boxes of Stun damage. If the writers wanted characters to wake up when they got to 9 boxes of Stun I think they would have written "A character who has been knocked unconscious from Deadly Stun damage will wake up when he or she recovers 1 box."
BitBasher
I don't think a character with 9 boxes is at serious. I think Serious is 6 boxes, it's clearly labeled. A character with 9 boxes is between serious and deadly, or specifically Serious +3, IE more than serious, yet not deadly...
BlackSmith
this is what made me doubt.
if serious wound is excatly 6 boxses, then yo udont wake up until you hit 6 boxses or less.
BitBasher
I guess you could call what I posted just my opioion, since I don't believe it's directly addressed that makes it up to the GM.
Fortune
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I don't think a character with 9 boxes is at serious. I think Serious is 6 boxes, it's clearly labeled. A character with 9 boxes is between serious and deadly, or specifically Serious +3, IE more than serious, yet not deadly...

What TN Modifiers does a person have when they have 9 boxes of damage? If you answer +3 which is the Serious Wounds Modifier, then it is a good bet that a person with 9 boxes of damage is considered to be Seriously Wounded.
Hasaku
Yep. Damage levels are digital. There's nothing in between Serious and Deadly; you jump from one to the other when you hit magic number 10.
BitBasher
On the other side, if a weapon does a serious wound do you mark off 6, 7, 8 or 9 boxes of damage? By your interpretation they would all be equally valid, as they are all simply a serious wound.

But really, for a serious wound you mark off six, and only 6 boxes of damage.. Not 7 or 8 or even 9.
Fortune
QUOTE (BitBasher)
But really, for a serious wound you mark off six, and only 6 boxes of damage.. Not 7 or 8 or even 9.

While this is true, if a person who was already moderately wounded took a Serious Wound, you would mark off 6 boxes. This would leave him with 9 boxes marked off, but still only Seriously Wounded, not 'Serious +3'. He still has the same TN modifiers as someone with 6 boxes marked off. If First Aid were performed on him, his wounds would still drop to Moderate.
Hasaku
On the other side, if a weapon does a serious wound do you mark off 6, 7, 8 or 9 boxes of damage? By your interpretation they would all be equally valid, as they are all simply a serious wound.

There's a distinction between being dealt a serious wound, and being seriously wounded. When you are dealt a serious wound, you mark off 6 boxes. However, a character is seriously wounded and is said to be suffering from the effects of a serious wound, when they have 6,7,8, or 9 boxes of damage marked off.

You're correct in stating that 6-9 boxes is a serious wound (and 1-2 are light, 3-5 are moderate). Imagine, therefore, that all single wounds are delivered at their lowest possible level and only grow by the addition of more wounds to our suffering hero.

edit: As an example, look at the moderate wound + serious wound used above. If our hero had suffered a serious wound alone, he would be in a certain amount of pain - enough to give a +3 TN modifier to his actions. However, there's a limit to how much pain you can feel and remain conscious. Thus, adding a serious wound to his moderate wound puts him at the brink of unconsciousness, but his pain level has hit the ceiling - still only a +3 TN modifier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012