Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do ALL Munchkins use Caspule Rounds?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Gorath
I have some questions related to capsul rounds.

1) Do you think capsul rounds are the most effective rounds vs. metahumans too?

You fire gel rounds (without increased chances for knockdown) and can deliver a chemical/compound ==> Possibility to inflict 2 stun damages with 1 round.

Most of my characters carry a SA Puzzler (Conceal 6, 6L) and a clip of capsul rounds with Gamma-scopolamine+DMSO. If you need to get down an enemy: He must resist 6L(stun)+10D(stun). Its very hard to get those 10s to stage damage down and i have a second shot too...

2) What chemicals are the best for capsul rounds?

The problem with capsule round is the money. A 12-shot clip for the SA Puzzler cost 3720 nuyen.gif. More then you might get for the run wink.gif

So here are my favorite compounds:

a. Gamma-scopolamine: Immediate, 10D stun, 300 nuyen.gif, 3-X
b. Narcoject: Immediate, 6D stun, 150 nuyen.gif, legal
c. Neuro-stun VIII: 1 combat turn, 6S, 20 nuyen.gif, 6P-X
d. CS/Tear Gas: 1 combat turn, Special, 10 nuyen.gif 8P-X
e. Nausea Gas: 5 combat turns, Special, 10 nuyen.gif Legal

a/b: Perfect for special situations there you need the enemy unconsious very fast, if you don't get enough money try b. a is better for trolls and high Body opponents.

c: If fired in an burst you deliver 3 doses of the chemical, so rules for additional doses apply ==> 2 dose: damage from S to D ==> 3 dose: power from 6 to 7. Effective damage to resist: 7D stun. So you get the same effect as with b, but pay 1/5 price. [You need a burst weapon, its better if you have less recoil, consider the Ares ELD-AR (no recoil, build in surpressor).]

d/e: Those chemicals have some nasty side effects. You suffer a -3/-5 TN modifier - 1 per Body(5), so after 1 combat round your opponents will have a hard time to hit you.

A burst with 1 capsule round CS Gas, 1 round Nausea Gas and 1 round Neuro-stun VIII can be very nasty...

3) How can your PC get better in resisting chemicals?

I see the following possibilities: Biomonitor + Injectors + Antidote, high Body, Armor modification: chemical seal? Any other good combos?

Whats your opinon? Do you use chemicals too?
Tanka
I know the games I play we don't. If we need to capture somebody, our Mage does a Stunbolt or Trollboy punches his lights out. If we need somebody dead, they're dead. However, most of the time, we try to avoid combat. It draws too much attention and, if you get caught, chances are you're in jail for quite a while.

Oh, and how legal are these drugs and how often do you run the risk of being caught? It's not like you can just walk away from a crimescene with LS buzzing around you.
Gorath
Of course its better to avoid combat. But if your plan fails what is better? To fire with stun weapons or to kill? If you just stun your opponents LS will might try to get you alive.

Of course a mage with stunball, stunbolt or clout works wonders if you need someone stunned.

We avoid combat and kills in our games. But if you must stop someone its easier to stun him first with capsule then to kill him by physical damage (non-magical).

Two humans fight each other:

Human1: Pistol skill 6, TN4, wins init (a) Ares Predator III with ExEX (b) SA Puzzler with Narcoject.
Human2: Body 6, Armor jacket 5/3

Human1 gets 3 successes ==>
(a) Human2 resist vs. TN4 ==> 3 successes ==> M
(b) Human2 resist vs. TN2 ==> 5 successes ==> no damage from weapon, Body(6): 1 success ==> D stun

Tanka
This is true. I contemplated making a character that used DMSO and Hyper. Really bad for mages and anything else that requires concentration. However, again, the question of legality comes into play. How concealable is it, how easy is it to get the stuff, etc. Most people don't even wear armor unless they're in the Barrens or a spot known for random violence. Other times it'll just be no armor and all fashion.

There are always downsides to everything. There is no surefire way to get the job done every time.
Grey
Capsul Rounds rock. I use option A and B all the time with characters I play who are pacifists. They can take out gaurds without killing them. in fact, I've had GMs give me a Good Rep bases off the number of runs I did without killing anyone. Killing causes messes. Most people don't think about the fact that the corp security guy they just shot is most likely working that job to provide a good life for his family. Too many players look at NPCs as cannon fodder, not as people with lives that extend beyond "the gaurd who got in my way".
Reaver
So far, capsule rounds havn't been used once. Yamaha Pulsars, shock gloves/batons, and superquirts... but no capsule rounds. Guess it depends on what you like.
Gorath
The benefit from capsule rounds is that you just need 1 weapon. You can change clips for different tasks. If you just have a taser you won't stop a car... So, try capsule rounds on your next run, but don't forget your EXEX spare clip for drones and cars.
Lilt
Capsule rounds are great, especially from a silenced hold-out pistol that you can sneak easily past MAD scanners.
BitBasher
Capsule rounds are banned in my game for regular firearms. Use a squirt or similar.
Reaver
QUOTE (Gorath)
The benefit from capsule rounds is that you just need 1 weapon. You can change clips for different tasks. If you just have a taser you won't stop a car... So, try capsule rounds on your next run, but don't forget your EXEX spare clip for drones and cars.

Sigh. Firearms for people. Gunnery for vehicles. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator

I have a major problem with CS/Tear Gas being usable in this way. It only has a significant effect on eyes, nose and mouth (and trachea and lungs, if you're really stupid). It certainly does burn on skin too, but if you actually get it into your blood (like you would with DMSO) it would only lead to blood poisoning and allergic reactions (after quite a long time). The same goes for Pepper Punch (OC/CS).

I don't allow capsule rounds for small arms in my games except in very special situations. Even then, I only allow chemicals that normally get into the bloodstream for their effect to be DMSO'd, and I'd probably add 1CT to the Onset Time for DMSO'd chemicals.
Gorath
I added a third point, that tactics against chemical attacks?
Grey
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

I have a major problem with CS/Tear Gas being usable in this way. It only has a significant effect on eyes, nose and mouth (and trachea and lungs, if you're really stupid). It certainly does burn on skin too, but if you actually get it into your blood (like you would with DMSO) it would only lead to blood poisoning and allergic reactions (after quite a long time). The same goes for Pepper Punch (OC/CS).

I don't allow capsule rounds for small arms in my games except in very special situations. Even then, I only allow chemicals that normally get into the bloodstream for their effect to be DMSO'd, and I'd probably add 1CT to the Onset Time for DMSO'd chemicals.

I would agree completely with you on this one. What I would allow is for the shooter to not use DMSO and call a shot to the targets face, where the capsule would release the gas.
Grey
QUOTE (Gorath)
3) How can your PC get better in resisting chemicals?

I see the following possibilities: Biomonitor + Injectors + Antidote, high Body, Armor modification: chemical seal? Any other good combos?

Whats your opinon? Do you use chemicals too?

Almost every chracter I play has Chemical Seal built into their armor (along with a little nonconductive). But thats just me being paranoid. Chemicals are not widely used, but that is exactly why I use them, as most people don't walk around with Chemical Seal.
Lilt

I'd personally be tempted to make the power hgher (possibly even add more TN mods) if a chemical such as pepper punch was combined with DMSO. When I was very young (3-4 years old) my sister fed me a very small yet whole chilli pepper raw and I had constant burning pain all-over my body for over a day. I think the toxin was in my blood-stream and over-stimulating the heat receptors all over my body.

Working with the rules for chemicalsin SR3 that is loosely equivalent to full-body submersion in peper-punch (adding 4 to the power by P106, M&M). You could possibly add a +1 TN modifier for the special effect body test too if you want to be cruel.
Austere Emancipator
Thing is, getting pepper punch (OC gas) in your face almost immediately makes you blind and nearly incapable of breathing. Soon after that, it hits you with a pain strong enough to almost certainly incapacitate anything short of a huge troll high on something nasty. Even if getting it to your bloodstream burnt a lot, it wouldn't do it nearly as fast as the effect is if you get it in your eyes/nose/mouth. Just causing the target to be in a burning pain after a while isn't something I'd consider an efficient combat technique.

Thus I stand behind what I said earlier, and wouldn't allow CS or OC/CS to be used in capsule rounds, and probably wouldn't give them significant effects in the time frame of one combat even if someone insisted on it (and spent a lot of money on it).
Mr. Man
The main problem with chemical seal for armor is that it only works vs. liquids and even then you have to buy it up pretty high to totally protect yourself. Keep in mind that since you can only buy chem seal level up to the (ballistic + impact) of the armor that makes it pretty worthless on some armors.

As far as I can tell the only gear with 100% protection vs. gaseous compounds is the milspec armor with enviro seal or a chem suit (and I'm not completely sure about that second one). This is kind of sad, IMO because if some of these gaseous compounds are able to affect you at all you can find yourself screwed very quickly. Respirators are a joke in way too many situations.

BumsofTacoma
You know, It's a good idea and it works. But The runners arent the only ones to know how to do this stuff. Just wait untill someone does it back to them.

If my players went this route, I would deffinatley have someone catch on and do it to.

LS isn't stupid, and there is no reason why a cop wouldnt use legal/non-leathal rounds such as those in a back up weapon.

Beware players, every time you think up something clever the GM can use it to. devil.gif
Austere Emancipator
A chem suit isn't 100% proof, because Green Ring 8 and Seven-7 will still get through. A HazMat or X-E suit is 100% proof, though.
Mr. Man
A HazMat or X-E suit is 100% proof, though.

What book(s) are these from? I can find them in the Cannon Companion index, but no detailed description of them and as far as I can tell they aren't in the NSRCG (I even loaded in all the old books but still didn't see them).
Kagetenshi
Not all munchkins use Capsule Rounds because not all munchkins have access to things beyond the base book.

~J
Grey
And I don't really think that Capsul Rounds are munchkin. They are effective, but that doesn't automaticly qualify them as munchkin.
Sunday_Gamer
Personally, being a shaman, I worry very little about taking someone out without killing them, I've yet to take a life.

However, there is one really important reason why cops wouldn't walk around with these rounds in their sidearm, cost. Those rounds are too expensive for the standard officer, the people paying the bills would never go for it. There might certainly be special squads armed with these.

We (meaning my group) don't use them, or at least I've never seen anyone fire one, they might have some and just not gotten around to using them I don't know, the most offensive weapon I carry is my squeaky purple monkey... hmmm, except maybe the grenade... ya the grenade is prob more lethal than the purple monkey, though the grenade doesn't squeak.

On abuse and retaliation. We have certain rules, a kind of spritual "do unto others" jobby. If uber bad guy X is firing his quantum bio accelerated pulse rifle, well then the GM better get comfy with the thought that after we shove our collective foot up his arse, we'll be taking that rifle and firing it at bad guys to come.

We limit the use of APDS and AV ammo for the same reason. If the sams start firing nothing but APDS and AV well then, the rigger will take their head off because now all the bad guy sams will be doing the same. Luckily, APDS is worth more than gold in our games.

All that to say, if the sams started firing these rounds every other clip, then they should expect and in fact enjoy when the bad guys start doing it back.

Every wonder where you left your point?

Sunday
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Gorath)
If you need to get down an enemy: He must resist 6L(stun)+10D(stun).

If I need to get down an enemy, I usually play some Kool and the Gang.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Gorath)
You fire gel rounds (without increased chances for knockdown) and can deliver a chemical/compound ==> Possibility to inflict 2 stun damages with 1 round.

Most of my characters carry a SA Puzzler (Conceal 6, 6L) and a clip of capsul rounds with Gamma-scopolamine+DMSO. If you need to get down an enemy: He must resist  6L(stun)+10D(stun).

Since you are using the Puzzler with Capsule rounds, the 6L base damage becomes 4L Stun (Capsule rules CC p. 36, Gel rules SR3 p. 116). Impact armor applies. Since you are including a chemical, any additional successes by the shooter do not raise the damage of the Gel round (MM p. 106 Exposure Via Weapons). Any target that can't shrug off 4L stun using Impact Armor and Body is probably not much of a threat.

The 10D stun is the real source of your effectiveness, but since it has Speed=Immediate, it doesn't take affect till the end of the combat turn (MM p. 106 "Body Resistance Test" 1st paragraph). Extra successes by the shooter and additional doses before the end of the turn can both make this even harder to resist.

Yes, drug affects are good, but the delay till the end of the turn takes some getting used to.
Austere Emancipator
What book(s) are these from?

Man & Machine. In the Chemtech section.
toturi
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Jan 5 2004, 05:13 PM)
A HazMat or X-E suit is 100% proof, though.

What book(s) are these from? I can find them in the Cannon Companion index, but no detailed description of them and as far as I can tell they aren't in the NSRCG (I even loaded in all the old books but still didn't see them).

M&M p118. Milspec armours can also come with X-E seals too.

The tactical significance of DMSO/Gamma scopolamine means that if you shoot someone who isn't totally surprised, he may still be able to get off an action and that may be bad. Also capsule rounds are useless against non-living creatures, again bad news in a combat situation.

Therefore most of the time, we usually use capsule round only in the first contact and switch clips after that. For general purposes, our weapons are loaded with EX explosive rounds instead.

Furthermore, since DMSO provides a contact vector, I do not allow it used with any substance with its own contact vector. Which pretty much solves the tear gas/CS/pepper spray problem, except for nausea gas.
BitBasher
And remember, "instant" toxins actually take effect at the beginning of the next full combat round, not turn or pass. They get until the next initiative roll with no effects whatsoever, while knowing they just got shot.
toturi
QUOTE (BitBasher)
And remember, "instant" toxins actually take effect at the beginning of the next full combat round, not turn or pass. They get until the next initiative roll with no effects whatsoever, while knowing they just got shot.

Which is why that pretty much limits capsule round usage to ambushes or situations where the PCs have surprise. Anyone not surprised is liable to shoot you back.

I forgot something just now... Blood filtration cyberware and auto-injector(antidote) is a good way to stop chemical based attacks.

Furthermore, I enforce strictly the Availability rules, therefore unless you are damned sure of getting more of that DMSO/gamma, you do not use it indiscriminately. And the higher the Avail, the easier it is for the cops to trace.
BlackSmith
how big punch is needed to break the capsules?
would grenade do the trick, thus ruining all opponents ammo and possibly exposing them to those stuff? if not, we are talking about Damn hard capsules aka bullets...
Siege
Why do I want to make a capsule round for a 40mm delivery system? grinbig.gif

-Siege
Fortune
QUOTE (Gorath @ Jan 6 2004, 05:18 AM)

Human1: Pistol skill 6, TN4, wins init (a) Ares Predator III with ExEX (b) SA Puzzler with Narcoject.

(b) Human2 resist vs. TN2 ==> 5 successes ==> no damage from weapon, Body(6): 1 success ==> D stun

Human #2 doesn't have to resist anything if he Dodges. smile.gif
BitBasher
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Gorath @ Jan 6 2004, 05:18 AM)

Human #2 doesn't have to resist anything if he Dodges. smile.gif

Not exactly, Human 2 suffers the D stun after his next initiative roll. And since it's stun, he'll wake up while Human 1 stays dead.

If he doesn't dodge wink.gif
BumsofTacoma
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Gorath @ Jan 5 2004, 05:54 PM)
If you need to get down an enemy: He must resist 6L(stun)+10D(stun).

If I need to get down an enemy, I usually play some Kool and the Gang.

Oh yeah I dig it.

.............hmmmm contemplating ............ character with boombox......... a disco not war shirt................ lots of music chips....

nah, he'd get shot first.............. UNLESS!! it was a super hot chick!!! HA!!
sidekick
Cost is the major reason why this isn't the most feasible option.

That puzzler clip of yours would cost 10,980:nuyen: to fil, thanks to our old friend Street Index. At around 900 per shot, I would be very careful who I plugged.

I won't even get into the fact that gamma scop capsule rounds probably need to be custom made, jacking up the cost even more.

toturi
QUOTE (sidekick)
Cost is the major reason why this isn't the most feasible option.

That puzzler clip of yours would cost 10,980:nuyen: to fil, thanks to our old friend Street Index. At around 900 per shot, I would be very careful who I plugged.

I won't even get into the fact that gamma scop capsule rounds probably need to be custom made, jacking up the cost even more.

Connected: Firearms and Ammo will short circuit that easily enough.
Kagetenshi
It'd have to be Connected: Chemicals, as those are the most expensive component.

~J
toturi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It'd have to be Connected: Chemicals, as those are the most expensive component.

~J

Yes, but I'm buying Capsule Rounds with DMSO/Gamma, not just the Chemical in the capsule. The whole package not just part of it.
BitBasher
Which is the realm of a chemist not a weapons dealer. This is a completely custom item, something that would never, ever sell on the market. Theres not a big market for ammo that lets someone shoot at you for three free seconds before they go down.
BlackSmith
specialy if a good jerk can ruin all your ammo.
Zazen
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Which is the realm of a chemist not a weapons dealer. This is a completely custom item, something that would never, ever sell on the market. Theres not a big market for ammo that lets someone shoot at you for three free seconds before they go down.

Y'mean like narcoject? I think the market niche would be big enough to support some dedicated producers of this stuff, just like there are lots of narcoject darts around.
Kagetenshi
Narcoject is expressly intended to be loaded into a dart for injection, and probably sees more use by animal control teams than anything else.

~J
Zazen
Yeah, I know. My point was that GS rounds shouldn't be discounted just because they "let someone shoot at you for three free seconds before they go down". It's the same with narcoject and people use narcoject all the time.

I do realize that it will be far less common than narcoject. I think there'd still be a market considering their increased effectiveness and compatability, though.
BitBasher
It's the same with narcoject and people use narcoject all the time.
I've never seen any NPC in any book ever carry narcojet. Nor have I ever had an NPC use it, therefore I dispute that it is used all the time. It's good in riot control or specific circumstances, but that is not even close to "all the time"... or when do you think it should be used?
Zazen
Fair enough, I should say it's used a lot in my game.

It has a very low availability, which is enough for me to consider it common.
Grey
6 isn't "very low" availability, but I do agree with you that it is common. I've used it countless times, as have NPCs my GM uses.
BitBasher
Maybe its just me then, my players avoid narcojet like the plague for any real firefight outside of an ambush/surprise /special situation.
Zazen
QUOTE (Grey)
6 isn't "very low" availability, but I do agree with you that it is common. I've used it countless times, as have NPCs my GM uses.

My copy says that narcoject has an availability of 3, not 6. smile.gif
sidekick
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 6 2004, 11:26 PM)

~J

Yes, but I'm buying Capsule Rounds with DMSO/Gamma, not just the Chemical in the capsule. The whole package not just part of it.

the problem is that the big cost of the item is still chemical, not ammo based. Hence connected Weapons and Ammo wouldn't help. You would need connected chemicals to get the Gamma at less then SI price.

Personally, I would say you need Connected: Chemicals and atleast a Gunsmithing contact to make the rounds. Still going to cost a pretty penny (even with SI eliminated, it's 321 nuyen.gif per shot)
Grey
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (Grey @ Jan 6 2004, 02:08 PM)
6 isn't "very low" availability, but I do agree with you that it is common.  I've used it countless times, as have NPCs my GM uses.

My copy says that narcoject has an availability of 3, not 6. smile.gif

I guess thats what I get for going from memory. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012