Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hidden Ratings and Thresholds
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PenCapBlue
How do you guys all deal with device ratings and thresholds? When a hacker is trying to get into a node do you tell him the system and firewall, and subsequently the threshold he is trying to meet? Or do you say "Since you're going for security access, the threshold will be X+3" and only tell him when he has met the threshold?

To me it seems odd to tell a PC a threshold they must meet. It makes more sense tell them "you know that this should be an easy-ish task," meaning a threshold of 2-6, for example. This is, of course, unless the character has a knowledge skill relevant to the task at hand. For example having knowledge of a specific commlink, and thus the threshold he must meet to get in.

What do you guys think?
Malachi
Purely for "game" purposes, I will often tell the player the necessary Threshold they have to meet. Sometimes I don't and just ask them to roll and tell me the total hits after each roll, then I let them know when to stop.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (PenCapBlue @ Jan 19 2009, 08:01 PM) *
How do you guys all deal with device ratings and thresholds? When a hacker is trying to get into a node do you tell him the system and firewall, and subsequently the threshold he is trying to meet?

Matrix Perception Test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012