Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Enemy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Hagga
Harlequin, in Paranormal Animals of Europe mentions something like "These are Evil, if anything is. Kill them if you see them or they are the future."
Mäx
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 24 2009, 02:10 AM) *
Harlequin, in Paranormal Animals of Europe mentions something like "These are Evil, if anything is. Kill them if you see them or they are the future."

"Kill these horrots whenever you can. They are Evil, if anything is. You cannot reason or bargain with these creatures. They exist only to feed. They are the future, if we do not stem the tide now"
--H--
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jan 23 2009, 03:59 PM) *
Considering Shadowrun has officially passed from Fan Pro, who seemed to indicate they're not interested in Horrors, but would rather make a completely new line, to Catalyst Labs, who said they've been fans of Shadowrun for a long time and seem to be working to bring back a lot of the old flavor back, I'd have to expect we'll see maybe a 40% chance of afternoon horrors.

It would be easier that the Big D makes himself heard from the metaplanar frountier and sets up some 'runs to deal with a few outbreak or to organize some incursion behind the enemy's line to aquire some knowledge of the enemy's weakness (or anything that could be used against them).
Stahlseele
say . . would it not, at least in theory, now be possible to summon the big d himself?
he is, right now, a free spirit right? okay, maybe a force 20 or more, but still . .
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 24 2009, 04:22 PM) *
say . . would it not, at least in theory, now be possible to summon the big d himself?
he is, right now, a free spirit right? okay, maybe a force 20 or more, but still . .

Isn't he still stuck inside a Cyberzombie?
Grinder
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jan 24 2009, 08:25 PM) *
"Kill these horrots whenever you can. They are Evil, if anything is. You cannot reason or bargain with these creatures. They exist only to feed. They are the future, if we do not stem the tide now"
--H--

And so? That's notihng surprising, considering that the whole Cycle of Mana stuff is known.
IceKatze
hi hi

Oh how I miss FASA. I found someone in town that has a bunch of the old 2nd ed books like "Threats" and so yesterday was the first time I'd even heard of The Enemy. I take it there hasn't been much official word on the topic lately?
Tachi
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jan 22 2009, 08:08 AM) *
The Enemy is a myth perpetuated by those who would instill fear in the hearts of all good, hard-working citizens and who seek to destabilize the economic foundations which have led to the prosperity of the Sixth World. They do not exist. Move along.

^^He says right before a Horror eats him.^^ nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jan 23 2009, 06:18 AM) *
Horrors originate in the Deep Metaplanes. Shedim also originate in the Deep Metaplanes. Does that make Shedim Horrors? Hard to say, really, as the Invae also come from the Deep Metaplanes. But really that's mostly semantics. They are all still very nasty things coming from the Deep Metaplanes. And one thing common among Deep Metaplanar beings is that they need some special method to continue to exist in the Gaiasphere. Invae need to invest hosts. Shedim need to inhabit corpses. Many Horrors needed to feed off the anguish and suffering of (meta)humanity in some way.

That makes me wonder what means creatures from "good" metaplanes would use to stay here.
Angier
There ain't any.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Angier @ Jan 25 2009, 05:20 AM) *
There ain't any.

We know this because.....?

It seems to me that creatures that would feed on 'good' emotions are just as feasible as creatures that feed on hate and fear. So there could just as easily be entities that, were they to enter our plane of existence, would foster love and fraternity in order to satisfy their needs. Like... I don't know... Care Bears.
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 25 2009, 01:02 PM) *
We know this because.....?

It seems to me that creatures that would feed on 'good' emotions are just as feasible as creatures that feed on hate and fear. So there could just as easily be entities that, were they to enter our plane of existence, would foster love and fraternity in order to satisfy their needs. Like... I don't know... Care Bears.

They're called Passions, and in SR4 the closest thing is a magician's Mentor Spirit.
pbangarth
I don't know all that much about Earthdawn, but I thought the Passions were more god-like, or as you say HentaiZonga, mentor spirits. The Horrors I am trying to parallel are not that ethereal, but rather entities that come sit on your chest and do 'evil'. In parallel, then, I wonder about other kinds of beings that could draw sustenance in the immediate area from love or friendship. Drawn to a wedding ceremony, or a good party, for example.

EDIT: I mean, really, in the vast multi-planar complex of existence, if feeding from emotions is 'possible', then there would develop entities that feed from all the possible sources of sustenance. This would be parallel to what one sees happening in the physical plane when a resource niche is always exploited by something, sooner or later.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 25 2009, 04:20 PM) *
The Horrors I am trying to parallel are not that ethereal, but rather entities that come sit on your chest and do 'evil'.

Well, not all the Horrors are so clearly material. As for whether any parallels exist, if there are, they haven't made themselves very visible.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (IceKatze @ Jan 25 2009, 03:10 AM) *
hi hi

Oh how I miss FASA. I found someone in town that has a bunch of the old 2nd ed books like "Threats" and so yesterday was the first time I'd even heard of The Enemy. I take it there hasn't been much official word on the topic lately?

Actualy there has never been much on Horrors, they have always been more a reference and a dark thing that one day will come but (thankfully) it's not quite here yet; they played a conceptualy big role in the adventure "Harlequim's Back", and even than they made an actualy very little apparence, the reason being that the Horrors are supposed to be a bigger than the world threat (so big that not even the dragon dared to face them) and giving them stats (or even just defining their aspect) would strip them of their mystique.
For the 4th edition there's the section of "Street Magic" that covers the shadow spirits, otherwise for more generic knowledge there are the Ancient Files, or failing that Ancient History, rule & lore savant extraordinare and Master of the Twisted Way of Knowledge.
pbangarth
Has there been any explanation why there is no archaeological or paleontological evidence for various Scourges by the Horrors?
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 25 2009, 09:20 PM) *
I mean, really, in the vast multi-planar complex of existence, if feeding from emotions is 'possible', then there would develop entities that feed from all the possible sources of sustenance. This would be parallel to what one sees happening in the physical plane when a resource niche is always exploited by something, sooner or later.

There is a reason that the word "exploit" has gained negative connotations.

Even if they feed off 'positive' emotions, they are alive, sentient and probably want to consume more. Simply put, they would manipulate you into attempting to experience the emotion to the exception of all else. Just becuase you call what feed on 'good' doesn't make them any less inimical to human life.

Life is red in tooth and claw. Never forget that.
pbangarth
For the most part, I agree. I'm just curious whether such entities have been postulated in Shadowrun.
Heath Robinson
The Muse archetype Shadow Spirit feeds off artistic highs. Whilst not necessarily 'positive' it's certainly not fear and loathing.
hyzmarca
I can top that, the Succubus feeds off of motherfucking orgasms (and all varieties of non-incestuous ones, as well).

But karma draining spirits aren't horrors, not by a long shot. Except, maybe, wraiths. But it appears that PAoE wraiths and SM wraith are totally different classes of being. The PAoE Wraiths are certainly Horrors (Harle would know) while the SM Wraiths are not.
Ogrebear
I wonder if when the mana level gets high enough then the Passions would return?

Since Earthdawn's represent the values and aspects of the worlds people I wonder what Shadowrun's passions would be like? Evil Passions of the Toxic zones? A Passion for Shadowrunners?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012