Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Multiple targets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Waldham
Multiple Targets
If a character is attacking multiple targets within a single Action Phase, he takes a –2 dice pool modifier per additional target. For example, if a character engages two targets with burst fire, he receives a –2 modifier for the second target.

Adept Centering (Adepts Only)
Adept Centering is a variation of Centering (p. 189, SR4) available only to adepts and mystic adepts that allows an initiate to reduce negative dice pool modifiers to Physical and Combat skills by her initiate grade—as long as she can physically perform her chosen method of centering.

SR4 p.189 :
Centering requires a Free Action, which must be taken in the same Action Phase as the Drain Resistance Test. The character must be physically able to move and/or speak freely in order to center, and may attract attention to herself. Centering techniques include acts such as chanting in Latin, dancing, making arcane gestures, and so on.

1) If a shiva adept shots Initiate 3 with six guns on 12 differents targets, does the reduce negative dice pool from adept centering apply for each target after the first ?

For example :
_ target 2 - 2 dices -> Adept Centering + 3 -> 0 dices
_ target 3 - 4 dices -> Adept Centering + 3 -> - 1 dices
_ target 12 - 22 dices -> Adept Centering + 3 -> - 19 dices

2) If the Adept Centering need a free action, is it necessary to have another free action to maintain for the other phase actions ? Or not action necessary to maintain it ?

Thanks for your future answer.
GrinderTheTroll
1) If a shiva adept shots Initiate 3 with six guns on 12 differents targets, does the reduce negative dice pool from adept centering apply for each target after the first ?

For example :
_ target 2 - 2 dices -> Adept Centering + 3 -> 0 dices
_ target 3 - 4 dices -> Adept Centering + 3 -> - 1 dices
_ target 12 - 22 dices -> Adept Centering + 3 -> - 19 dices
I am not understanding how you'd have any dice to shoot at 12 targets.
(Assuming skill+stat=12) 6 Targets = 2 dice each? ...split again for 1 die each?

I think Adept Centering only effects one roll per use (I could be wrong). But even if it does effect all rolls, you'd still only have 1 die.
Waldham
Please, read again the first post.

it is the penalties for the pool dice in my example and adept centering reduce the penalties.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Waldham @ Jan 27 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Please, read again the first post.

it is the penalties for the pool dice in my example and adept centering reduce the penalties.
You'd have to use the Free Action in each Action Phase to receive the Centering bonus. Assuming you had the dice to make 12 shots and depending on the rules (sorry no book handy), I'd say yes you could apply the Centering bonus to each roll (since they all take place in the same Action Phase).
pbangarth
There is no clear direction as to how long the Centering and Adept Centering Powers last after they are initiated, but the wording suggests that multiple actions can be affected by one application of the Power. Therefore, it would seem logical that a series of actions in the same Initiative Round all should be affected by these Powers.

In the example provided by the OP, 12 shots taken in the same action would suffer the following penalties due to multiple shots (modified by Adept centering 3):

1st shot == no penalty
2nd shot == -2 dice + 3 = no penalty
3rd shot == -4 dice + 3 = -1 die
4th shot == -6 dice +3 = -3 dice
5th shot == -8 dice + 3 = -5 dice
6th shot == -10 dice + 3 = -7 dice
7th shot == -12 dice + 3 = -9 dice
8th shot == -14 dice + 3 = -11 dice
9th shot == -16 dice + 3 = -13 dice
10th shot == -18 dice + 3 = -15 dice
11th shot == -20 dice + 3 = -17 dice
12th shot == -22 dice + 3 = -18 dice

GrinderTheTroll's argument that the distribution of even a huge pool of dice over the 12 shots would make most of the shots ineffective is right. It does not contradict the applicability of the Adept Centering Power, but it makes it moot for multi-multiple shots in the same action.
The Jake
Why not use suppressive fire for that many targets?

I always saw that power as being useful for pistol adepts more than anything else.

- J.
pbangarth
I think Waldham was looking for some fun with shiva arms, rather than the more prosaic suppressive fire.
The Jake
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 28 2009, 06:22 AM) *
I think Waldham was looking for some fun with shiva arms, rather than the more prosaic suppressive fire.

Ahh right.

In that case, I'd suggest dikote coated katana blades to remain with the theme. biggrin.gif

- J.
InfinityzeN
Dem dar t'ings was scary back in the SR3 days. Seen someone cut through a Ford Americar engine block.
pbangarth
Years ago, an adept I was playing and his team were pinned inside an armoured van by heavy opposition outside. The van was parked over a booby trap, set to explode if they moved the van. (Yeah, yeah.. I know... we deserved the pickle we got ourselves into.) The adept cut through the bottom of the van with his dikoted katana to get access to the bomb, and another team member disarmed it. After which the team was free to drive to safety.

My one regret from the situation was not our stupidity for getting trapped, because we learned from it. But another player, an unrepentant power gamer who used to read RPGA games before he played them so he could get the treasure before anyone else could ( I only suspected at the time of this run.), didn't realize that one could buy dikoted swords, and offered a generous trade (Remember this guy got ALL the goodies.) for the sword. I took the high road (Fool!) and told him the truth about the availability of dikoted weapons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012