Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arsenal upgrades to weapon foci?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Knight Saber
My ex-corporate mage has a sword weapon focus and I thought that a gecko grip would be useful in keeping it around. Then I thought "Why not a personalized grip too, +1 more melee for just 100 instead of 10K!"

It seems almost too good to be true though, boosting an already-potent device. Would technological tricks like that work on an item made to be enchanted? A lanyard, sure, that's just some fabric tied to the end, but a gecko or security grip? And the personalized grip treads on the power of the focus... though it wouldn't work in astral space. Comments?
Ancient History
Well, you should really do it before you enchant the sword.
Cain
While AH is right according to the fluff, technically speaking you do not need to do so. You can add the modification at any time.
Octopiii
I say go for it. Melee weapons are kind of weak anyway, even in the astral, where a stunbolt or manabolt works just as well.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Jan 27 2009, 09:41 PM) *
I say go for it. Melee weapons are kind of weak anyway, even in the astral, where a stunbolt or manabolt works just as well.

Question: Do you use reach in astral? always wanted to check and this reminded me.

I have been using reach on dual natured folk and weapon focuses.
Adarael
I believe reach still applies in astral space, yes. A troll with a pole arm weapon focus can still keep you at bay effectively, because it's still long, and will still hurt.
Stahlseele
could one make a weapon-focus of this bendy metal stuff?
so you could wear your sword like a belt untill it's time to whip it out and shove it into a body?
Ancient History
Yes. However, you're definitely not getting the bonus for home-made telesma.
darthmord
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 28 2009, 08:47 AM) *
Yes. However, you're definitely not getting the bonus for home-made telesma.

Well, that assumes you didn't make it yourself. Besides, if you have the resources to make that sort of weapon, you can use a lot of other special stuff to make sure you succeed.
Maelstrome
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 28 2009, 02:45 PM) *
could one make a weapon-focus of this bendy metal stuff?
so you could wear your sword like a belt untill it's time to whip it out and shove it into a body?

snake blade weapon focus.

anyway i say you could aslong as the weapon doesnt need to be completely rebuilt.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (darthmord @ Jan 28 2009, 02:25 PM) *
Well, that assumes you didn't make it yourself. Besides, if you have the resources to make that sort of weapon, you can use a lot of other special stuff to make sure you succeed.

Popular Science just had an article describing how to refine titanium in your garage, with a graphite mold and a blowtorch.

Hmm... I remember having a player ask how long it would take to build a car from scratch to use as a focus...

Rotbart van Dainig
Steal a nanoforge.
Ancient History
A nanoforge is not a handtool.
Hagga
What if you attach a handle to it?
Ancient History
Even then.
merashin
what if your a troll and attach a handle to it?
Ancient History
If the troll picked up the nanoforge and banged it against an anvil to shape a piece of wood or metal, then it might be considered a handtool - but only for the piece of wood or metal being made, not anything put out by the nanoforge.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 28 2009, 09:31 PM) *
If the troll picked up the nanoforge and banged it against an anvil to shape a piece of wood or metal, then it might be considered a handtool - but only for the piece of wood or metal being made, not anything put out by the nanoforge.

What if you enchant the nanoforge as a vessel, put an Inhabitation Ally in it (hybrid merge), and give the Ally the Enchanting skill?

And for that matter, is there any sort of bonus related to using your own bodily secretions as telesma that might apply in this situation, or ever?
Maelstrome
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 29 2009, 02:45 AM) *
What if you enchant the nanoforge as a vessel, put an Inhabitation Ally in it (hybrid merge), and give the Ally the Enchanting skill?

And for that matter, is there any sort of bonus related to using your own bodily secretions as telesma that might apply in this situation, or ever?

i had my heart surgically removed and replaced and used it to enchant a powerfocus.
i think it would just count as a virgin telesma.
Ancient History
Just because you never used it doesn't make it a virgin.
Maelstrome
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 29 2009, 02:50 AM) *

ouch
BlueMax
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 28 2009, 05:45 PM) *
A nanoforge is not a handtool.

Please understand that this entire post is about sillyness.

My character PAID essence for his cyberlimb. Its part of him now. Its a replacement for his hand and thus a 'hand tool' Just like mages who pay for eyes man, I can use mine in my magic too.

Rotbart van Dainig
..so if you install a nanoforge into a cyberlimb...
Hagga
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 29 2009, 03:50 AM) *

What if I approve every single molecule re-arrangement, so I had a hand in all of it? While holding it by the handle.
KarmaInferno
You didn't grab each molecule yourself and move it, you told your nanoforge to do it.

If you have to plug it in, it's not a hand tool.

Hand tools need muscle power to operate. Like hammers. Or saws. A hand-powered manual drill might be pushing it.

Why do I feel silly having to explain this?

I am still curious about the inhabitation spirit occupying a nano forge and turning out an item.....
That is a valid, if somewhat bizarre question...
BlueMax
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 30 2009, 10:31 PM) *
You didn't grab each molecule yourself and move it, you told your nanoforge to do it.

Hand tools need muscle power to operate. Like hammers. Or saws. A hand-powered manual drill might be pushing it.

FurtherSillyness
I think I said my question was silly nyahnyah.gif But any answers besides "Eyes are an exception" are also silly.
If I have cyber arms and a torso, I have no muscle and therefor cannot create? It may not be a plug on tool, it may be a complete replacement for the hand!
Please understand that I know I am being silly.
TheOOB
Crafting your own telsma is a deep personal process where you must make an intimate connection with the materials you are working with. You can do this with a hammer, not with a jackhammer. Your cyberarm is you, so you can do this with a cyber arm, but probably not the welding laser in your cyber arm.

Just use common sense.
Stahlseele
nah, common sense costs 5 build boints that could be spent on something that would help you more with creating those things . .
Hagga
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 31 2009, 06:31 AM) *

Because I'm being facetious and my posts in this thread became sillier than usual?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012