Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Houserules- Better balance of magic. Banning Overcasting and being generous with dice.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aiolos Turin
This allows powerful magician characters to still nuke someone in one hit (6 spellcasting + 6 magic + 6 foci = 18 dice, 6 hits average, 5 net hits average) doing Force 6 manabolt, 11P damage (unresisted) which will kill anything short of a dragon in one hit.

This also gets rid of ridiculous overpowered Overcasting. The fact that all it does is turn the damage from Stun to Physical is ludicrous. That is NOT a threat or reason to not overcast. This prevents free insta-kills via Force 12 manabolts. this allows for over-the-top Magicians to still insta-kill via Force 6 manabolts and their usual bajillion damage, resulting in 11P.

This balances the game. Take out overcasting, and be generous with allowing players to buy Spellcasting Foci. This means a Magic 4 mage (slightly above average) with Spellcasting 4 with a Foci of 4 would be able to cast Force 4 manabolts with an average of 3 net hits, thus doing 7P damage.

This is the exact same damage as Overcasting a Magic 4 spell. Force 8 = 8P - 3 resist dice (1 hit) = 7P, but without the extra net hits. This stops people from overcasting 8P + 3 nethits, 11P, suffering only 4DV that is usually heavily (or entirely) resisted.

1) It doesn't change the drain values. In fact, it keeps them lower as no overcasting means no double DV.
2) It bans Overcasting, which is overpowered for such a non-significant negative modifier of changing S damage to P.
3) It keeps all Drain in S form.
4) Allows overpowered mages to still remain overpowered.
5) Allows others more defense against being obliterated in one, unescapable spell.
6) Foci is more important, more emphasized, and this adds to the roleplaying, tactics, and balance of both sides. Also allows the mundane to "knock the staff out of the mage's hand" which lowers their power significantly, adding a heavy emphasis and Lore to the power of Magic and Wizards (the staff helps his power so much!) This allows for those amazing Telekenesis moves on the part of the mage to get his staff back, turn to the Street Samurai jumping at him with a Katana, and obliterate him with a powerful fireball. Epic Story win! Fun for EVERYONE, not just the overpowered mage.

I for one love magic that has a heavy emphasis on magical items. Protective necklaces and foci for mundane to wear as defense. Magical swords for anyone, not just adepts. Magical staffs to channel mage's power significantly. It is more FANTASY!
Overall, I really like this system. It also gives a heavy influence for there to be more mages who rely on cyberware than otherwise. (This is Shadowrun. Half the professional mages should have wired reflexes.) So it not only adds to the Magical High Fantasy aspect of Shadowrun (emphasis on powerful, less rare Foci) but also on the Gritty, Man meets Magic and Machine, type of world (Mages are more likely to have cyberware)
Thadeus Bearpaw
QUOTE (Aiolos Turin @ Jan 29 2009, 09:46 PM) *
This allows powerful magician characters to still nuke someone in one hit (6 spellcasting + 6 magic + 6 foci = 18 dice, 6 hits average, 5 net hits average) doing Force 6 manabolt, 11P damage (unresisted) which will kill anything short of a dragon in one hit.

This also gets rid of ridiculous overpowered Overcasting. The fact that all it does is turn the damage from Stun to Physical is ludicrous. That is NOT a threat or reason to not overcast. This prevents free insta-kills via Force 12 manabolts. this allows for over-the-top Magicians to still insta-kill via Force 6 manabolts and their usual bajillion damage, resulting in 11P.

This balances the game. Take out overcasting, and be generous with allowing players to buy Spellcasting Foci. This means a Magic 4 mage (slightly above average) with Spellcasting 4 with a Foci of 4 would be able to cast Force 4 manabolts with an average of 3 net hits, thus doing 7P damage.

This is the exact same damage as Overcasting a Magic 4 spell. Force 8 = 8P - 3 resist dice (1 hit) = 7P, but without the extra net hits. This stops people from overcasting 8P + 3 nethits, 11P, suffering only 4DV that is usually heavily (or entirely) resisted.

1) It doesn't change the drain values. In fact, it keeps them lower as no overcasting means no double DV.
2) It bans Overcasting, which is overpowered for such a non-significant negative modifier of changing P damage to S.
3) It keeps all Drain in S form.
4) Allows overpowered mages to still remain overpowered.
5) Allows others more defense against being obliterated in one, unescapable spell.
6) Foci is more important, more emphasized, and this adds to the roleplaying, tactics, and balance of both sides. Also allows the mundane to "knock the staff out of the mage's hand" which lowers their power significantly, adding a heavy emphasis and Lore to the power of Magic and Wizards (the staff helps his power so much!) This allows for those amazing Telekenesis moves on the part of the mage to get his staff back, turn to the Street Samurai jumping at him with a Katana, and obliterate him with a powerful fireball. Epic Story win! Fun for EVERYONE, not just the overpowered mage.

Overall, I really like this system. It also gives a heavy influence for there to be more mages who rely on cyberware than otherwise. (This is Shadowrun. Half the professional mages should have wired reflexes.)

I've not seen magic been overpowered at all, the worst thing from magicians I've seen is really spirits. Overcasting, I've had players survive force 12 manaballs and similar high damage spells. Generally the players that produce the most consistent high damage were my Cyberedup troll with vibro swords. My sniper with a super rifle and APDS rounds also consistently did a shitload of damage, generally overcasting (unless optimized for) only succeeded in wiping the mage in question, our caster burned the most edge and died the most often from any other characters.
masterofm
It is mainly the spirits that are broken sauce. Especially on a mage built for overcasting and possession.
BlueMax
QUOTE (masterofm @ Jan 29 2009, 07:56 PM) *
It is mainly the spirits that are broken sauce. Especially on a mage built for overcasting and possession.

Even without possession, spirits are the game breakers.

Fear == win
Concealment == awesome.

When my mages summon rating 9 carefree, it makes the mundanes rather angry.
masterofm
Yes, but especially is a very powerful thing.

"You see a mundane troll guard who is walking his root what do you do?"

"I have my force nine guardian spirit possess him!"

"Sigh... ok the guard is now a super troll with super amazing stats what do you do?"

"I have it rock the crap out of everyone else in the facility!"

"Ok.... you win the entire facility what next?"

"Well now I take my troll pet for a stroll. I think I'll keep him. Next time he gets to wield a heavy weapon of my choosing. His new name is now broken o' with 18 hardened armor. Bua ha ha ha... I'm evil... ha ha ha!!!1!11!!one!"
Dragnar
I agree with the other posters. Mages have some absurdly powerful tricks up their sleeve, but overcasting direct damage spells istn't really one of them.
Firstly 11P isn't "killing everything short of a dragon in one hit". In fact, it doesn't even kill joe average in one hit; it'll incapacitate him, though. Most trolls wouldn't even go down at all.
Secondly, most heavy weapons can do that kind of damage even with the target getting to resist, some of them even for as much as a simple action instead of the complex one spellcasting takes. None of them damage the user at all, as well.
Crusher Bob
Add to the fact that a force 6 spellcasting focus comes in at 90,000 Y compared to an MGL-12 at 2,000 and an assault cannon at 5,500 Y. For the price of the focus alone I could put a bunch of competent guys with MGL-12s on retainer to follow me around and murderize anyone I pointed at. If I pay four guys will MGL-12s to follow me around, and point at the poor troll, he gets to resist 12P(f) eight times. And I don't have to have master level skillz, and don't have to risk hurting myself, and don't leave a huge honking astral signature that can be used to track me, personally, down later.
The Jake
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Jan 30 2009, 05:18 AM) *
Add to the fact that a force 6 spellcasting focus comes in at 90,000 Y compared to an MGL-12 at 2,000 and an assault cannon at 5,500 Y. For the price of the focus alone I could put a bunch of competent guys with MGL-12s on retainer to follow me around and murderize anyone I pointed at. If I pay four guys will MGL-12s to follow me around, and point at the poor troll, he gets to resist 12P(f) eight times. And I don't have to have master level skillz, and don't have to risk hurting myself, and don't leave a huge honking astral signature that can be used to track me, personally, down later.

Yeah but a force 9 posessing spirit with Regeneration and Immunity to Normal Weapons will rip through that same squad. biggrin.gif

- J.
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Jan 29 2009, 11:18 PM) *

Well the point would be to make spell foci easier to obtain and more generous.

If people dont think DC spells are OP though, then theres no need for this rule.

Id really like someone to show me or direct me to one of their shadowruns (preferably with dice rolls)

My street level campaign has the most power with guns, which are usually and sometimes entirely resisted by armor. 4P + 1 net hit against 7-9+ DR can mean barely any damage sometimes. A character with Magic of even 3 throwing overcast everywhere constantly does atleast 5P, which is more than anything else we have, save shock gloves.

Magic is overpowered in a smaller campaign where the characters are 200-300 BP. Even in a weak character, if he specializes in magic (Magic 3, Spellcasting 3) which he WILL, when you can overcast without any real penalty for overcasting, it means you get to free-hit everyone with 5-6P every time, while everyone else is doing at max 6P, at average 3P, and sometimes only 1S or absorb entirely. If it's a troll or ork, it's almost always 0-2P. Magic bypasses Orks and Trolls and does full damage, making it just a little too powerful, especially when your average against a troll is 7P, which incapcitates him entirely unless he's a boss.
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (masterofm @ Jan 29 2009, 09:56 PM) *

I wouldnt even allow Spirits to possess anyone unless they specifically had a unique spiritual/magical opening to spirits.

I find it very ironic and odd that a team of game developers who have such massive Lore, Knowledge, and "realistic twist" to everything fail to implement the fact that it is never easy for a spirit to possess anyone, especially to the point of Horror movies like The Exorcist.

I believe that every Shadowrunner should watch a few episodes of the X-Files. This is A LOT like the Lore and World of shadowrun. It implements everything from Monsters, to Magic, to Spirits and Spirituality- all in a modern twist.

Afterall, thats a lot of what Shadowrun is. Urban Legends, Myths, and Spiritual beliefs all come alive through Magic.

I believe a good GM knows when to limit severely some spells, and require an epic reason for having such spell because of its rarity. If every Mage walks around with Mind Control, then magic quickly becomes overpowered. Your game might not have Mind Control overpowered, but if anyone were to have Mind Control in real life, like one episode of the X-Files, they'd be extremely powerful. Also, a good GM knows when to add physical, spiritual, or just abnormal blocks to magic. "For some reason, your mind control has no effect on this incredibly faithless man." or "As you try to control the mind of the Schizophrenic man, a massive flash of magic blasts your mind, filling your head with confusion, thousands of voices, disorentating and knocking you back."
So unless you want every mage to be as powerful as a Jedi, then being restrictive with specific spells and requiring a lot of background roleplaying info is crucial. Afterall, only Jedi's can do the Jedi mind control spell, and there's....how many of those in the universe?

Perhaps this is a better use of Houserules. The absolute unstable use of Magic in a world where crazy things happen, unexplainable phemonena utter confused even the most powerful of mages, and there are just some things you just simlply cant do. Perhaps Magic is an Entity in itself that refuses to allow a single entity or group to control it so much that it knocks off the Karmatic Balance of the Universe.

Often there are massive backlashes to incredibly powerful characters (as a form of balance, character development, and a general sense of "Dont push your luck... Just because you're powerful doesnt mean...")
Like Rogue from the X-Men. She can steal anyone's powers. Incredibly powerful. The backlash is a psychological thing though- she takes their memories and personalities too.

I'd also have a rarity table. Very high-profile, powerful, high-force spirits are rare...and take more than just a successful "bind" to command. There should be forces in the world that are far beyond that of a very powerful 6 Magic Player or a Force 10 spirit. Spirits suppose to have personality, names, desires, and the high force ones would be incredibly resistant to helping someone, being so powerful. There should be entire adventures to bind one. Duties you must preform just to get one task, and a very high rarity to even find one that powerful, etc. The forces far beyond the power of a player or spirit should be a very creative, and limiting, GM. (Limitting in making it hard, but not impossible, to have overpowered spirits, possession, etc.)
The Jake
QUOTE (Aiolos Turin @ Jan 30 2009, 05:58 AM) *
I wouldnt even allow Spirits to possess anyone unless they specifically had a unique spiritual/magical opening to spirits.

I find it very ironic and odd that a team of game developers who have such massive Lore, Knowledge, and "realistic twist" to everything fail to implement the fact that it is never easy for a spirit to possess anyone, especially to the point of Horror movies like The Exorcist.

I believe that every Shadowrunner should watch a few episodes of the X-Files. This is A LOT like the Lore and World of shadowrun. It implements everything from Monsters, to Magic, to Spirits and Spirituality- all in a modern twist.

Afterall, thats a lot of what Shadowrun is. Urban Legends, Myths, and Spiritual beliefs all come alive through Magic.

One's interpretation of the world does not conform in any way to the rules.

- J.
masterofm
No offense to you Aiolos, but your post actually made me bust out laughing.

I actually totally agree with you, but it's not how SR possession works. In fact it is pretty much super easy. Either the spirit goes up against the OR, or it goes up against I believe the characters willpower. Generally it means the character unless they have a maxed out willpower and are Mr. lucky they will probably be punked in 1-2 IPs.

The harder you look at the rule books the holier it will get. Cross reference certain books with others and you can pull out some pretty crack baloney. It has gotten to the point where our group has basically thrown out unwired and RC at our table to prevent further abuse.

Streetmagic introduced voodoo and some of the spirits are just filled with awesome. Guidance spirits can use divination which for most games is a GMs worst nightmare.
Muspellsheimr
You fail entirely to see what the problem is, & thus are incapable of solving it. Your current "solution" does nothing to address the problem, & unnecessarily hurts Awakened characters.

Direct Combat spells, while powerful, are not necessarily more so than mundane alternatives (although I do agree that they could go for a small reduction). The issue is that they are, in the vast majority of situations, far more powerful than Indirect Combat spells. Given that they also have significantly less Drain...

Overcasting is not an issue. Magic vs. Mundane is not an issue. Magic vs. Magic is the issue, & by changing Direct spells to follow the pattern of every other attack in the game (attack : "dodge" : resist), they are balanced against Indirect spells, without entirely removing their usefulness.

Spirits are a separate issue that I have a separate solution for, that I intend to be using in my upcoming game. Spirit's Skills & Attributes are one-half Force (round up), instead of RAW Force.
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 30 2009, 12:03 AM) *
One's interpretation of the world does not conform in any way to the rules.

- J.

Yes it does. Following the Lore and World of Shadowrun, multiple beliefs on how possession DOES conform to the rules.

This IS a roleplaying game, afterall, and if you are going to make any houserules, it should be to follow the true heart and lore of shadowrun. (Which is every belief imaginable, come to life. If you dont believe me, look at every paracritter, religion, and the beliefs of Magic.)

Magic didnt just suddenly happen without any reason. The entire new age of Magic, Machine, and Goblinization and all its lore was entirely founded based on real life beliefs, religions, groups, etc. Native American religion is amongst one of the heaviest in the Lore.

Possession in the Shadowrun universe to happen easily by any mage who wants to learn to control spirits is NOT the Shadowrun universe. If you possess everyone you come across just like that, your world is one that has strayed from the true vision of Shadowrun Lore. Thats fine for you, but not to those who love Shadowrun because it's Shadowrun.
BlueMax
QUOTE (masterofm @ Jan 29 2009, 10:04 PM) *
Streetmagic introduced voodoo and some of the spirits are just filled with awesome. Guidance spirits can use divination which for most games is a GMs worst nightmare.

I have seen task spirits abused in the worst possible ways too.
Dragnar
Wait, what?
Following the Shadowrun rules (which say possession is easy and possession traditions do so all the time) is straying from the "true vision" of shadowrun lore?
I'm sorry, but that assessment doesn't make much sense.
Saying you don't like easy possession is one thing and you're free to do so, but claiming SR itself somehow doesn't follow it's own lore, is kinda absurd, as whatever is written in the books is by definition the "real" SR-lore.
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jan 30 2009, 12:10 AM) *
You fail entirely to see what the problem is, & thus are incapable of solving it. Your current "solution" does nothing to address the problem, & unnecessarily hurts Awakened characters.

Direct Combat spells, while powerful, are not necessarily more so than mundane alternatives (although I do agree that they could go for a small reduction). The issue is that they are, in the vast majority of situations, far more powerful than Indirect Combat spells. Given that they also have significantly less Drain...

I didnt fail to see this problem. In fact, I talked about this very thing in this (or another) recent post TODAY.

This doesnt hurt the Awakened character at all, as this still allows them the full force of being able to incapacitate people in one hit, and doesn't change drain at all.

What this DOES do is increase importance and availability of FOCI and help the mundane when taking magic damage. It is an incredibly small change to ban overcasting and be generous with dice. Increasing the chance to hit with the spell, decreasing drain, while mainting the same minimum damage doesn't drastically change Awakened characters. All it does is put a cap on their max damage. A powerful spellcaster can still do 12P, which DOES kill anything short of a dragon. A troll would have to have a body of 9+ to not immeditely be taken out by such a blast. Any GM who has grunts still alive after 12P and -4 dice is too much of a powergamer with his grunts going by the rules instead of reality. 7P is considered a lethal strike. 12P is incapcitating, deadly, and even if you happen to have "one more box before going unconscious" and somehow have enough dice left to do something- the GM should be skeptical about allowing his grunts, or even players, to do something heavy. Only those trolls or orks so numb with drugs they cant feel pain would ever be able to even act after a 12P hit. The character or grunt has to be writhing in so much unspeakable pain with such a deep wound that all he can do for the next few rounds is yell and choke.

Also, no one will ever convince me Magic isn't more powerful than everything else, when the tests dont have a DR test, while EVERYTHING ELSE DOES. That sole fact means Magic can be more powerful than a tank, solely based on armor.

The Panther XXL does 10P -5AP.
Against a heavily armored military soldier, thats 13 armor (18-5)+ 6 body = 19 dice, 6 hits.
The Panther XXL does, on average, 4P + net hits.
An overcasting mage can do 4P + net hits using a Force 6 spell, suffering NO drain, as 3 DV is easily countered. PLUS the ability to have an innumerable amount of other spells like Social, Stealth, Travel, and Buff spells.

Im rather going to ban overcasting, or ban direct combat spells and make all magic combat indirect. This brings it to balance with everything else.
In a world where magic is RARE, there cannot be a mage to counterspell a player-mage every single moment. To make the mage a easy target for EVERYONE because he leaves astral signatures when casting, is just making a player miserable.

When you have half your players whining that their Panther XXL does only 4P while the Mage drops targets left and right in one hit without suffering much drain, you have to provide balance.
When your mage player is whining that he cant do anything because he's Public Enemy #1 just for being a Mage, all you can do is agree it's stupid, and something needs to change.

Of course, I doubt most people here dont have GM's who send in military teams on important objectives, because if they did, they'd roll their eyes that the mage just dropped the entire military squad and afterwards just patched himself up with First Aid and Stim patched his way to safety, while the heavy badass troll with a Panther XXL could barely scratch them.
Muspellsheimr
Direct spells are better than firearms for damage. They also take a Complex Action, a significant investment to use, & damage the user. Without your proposed change, mundanes can keep pace with mages fairly easily. With your change, mundanes become notably more powerful than the casters, and it still does not address the problem.

Oh, and removing overcasting is a huge change.

From what I have seen of your posts today, you are even worse than Cain, & will now be ignored.
pbangarth
As long as characters can treat spirits as completely obedient automata, no matter what their Force, then both materialization and possession spirits are indeed extremely powerful, maybe even overly so. However, I have never been able to understand why people think that a magician with LOG 3, WIL 5, CHA 5 can out-think, dominate and schmooze a spirit with stats at 6, 7 or 8. SR4, SM and DG all give helpful guidelines for GMs to play spirits as independent entities.

Could you be controlled by something dumber and weaker-willed than you?
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Jan 30 2009, 12:25 AM) *
Wait, what?
Following the Shadowrun rules (which say possession is easy and possession traditions do so all the time) is straying from the "true vision" of shadowrun lore?
I'm sorry, but that assessment doesn't make much sense.
Saying you don't like easy possession is one thing and you're free to do so, but claiming SR itself somehow doesn't follow it's own lore, is kinda absurd, as whatever is written in the books is by definition the "real" SR-lore.

You need to reread the intro to the Core Rulebook about the magic sections, and have some discussions with some writers, both Shadowrun writers and any writer worth his salt.

They didnt just make up Shadowrun Lore from scratch. They have sources that they twist and use to make a more realistic world.

If the rules say possession is easy and you're free to do so all the time, someone goofed. Most likely the person who wrote the rules doesnt care as much about the Lore as the other writers.

And if your GM allows possession easily and anytime you want in, he is not only a horrible writer and storyteller, but has absolutely no idea the concept and general idea of Shadowrun Lore. It is based off of real life beliefs, exagerated Myths, etc.

Not only this, but Shadowrun is exactly the future of Earthdawn, which I know the Lore to that as well. Earthdawn was the first era, followed by the era we live in now, with Shadowrun being the era after that. I've read many of the Shadowrun books, focusing on the link between reality's beliefs and their personal twist on things. I love how they brought alive many creatures Greek mythology as metavarients. Anyways, I think I know what I'm talking about.

But of course, it's personally fine if you want your story to be like The Exorcist every shadowrun, have magic more common than BTL's, never have any military or paramilitary presence, or label all your characters Vegeta as a Mystic Adept with the spell Powerbolt and the rest dumped into Adept skills. It's not like anything SUPPOSE to be rare, mystical, or realistic.
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jan 30 2009, 12:49 AM) *
Oh, and removing overcasting is a huge change.

From what I have seen of your posts today, you are even worse than Cain, & will now be ignored.

It's obviously not a huge change since there are other small changes that balance casting to become as powerful as overcasting, but without the overcasting.
It's not more a change than adding a small 3-6 dice DR to magic tests or increasing DV on all spells +1.

Please do ignore me. Dont forget to lower your nose on your way out so you can see the Exit sign.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Aiolos Turin @ Jan 30 2009, 02:41 PM) *
An overcasting mage can do 4P + net hits using a Force 6 spell, suffering NO drain, as 3 DV is easily countered.

Assuming you have 10 dice to resist drain, your chances to taking drain look like:
Take none ~70%
Take 1 ~19.6%
Take 2 ~8.7%
Take 3 ~1.7%

A ~30% chance of taking some drain is hardly 'easily countered'.
BlueMax
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 29 2009, 10:49 PM) *
As long as characters can treat spirits as completely obedient automata, no matter what their Force, then both materialization and possession spirits are indeed extremely powerful, maybe even overly so. However, I have never been able to understand why people think that a magician with LOG 3, WIL 5, CHA 5 can out-think, dominate and schmooze a spirit with stats at 6, 7 or 8. SR4, SM and DG all give helpful guidelines for GMs to play spirits as independent entities.

I could if he had something over me. Shadowrun doesn't force the fluff on you but some traditions have leverage like "true names" circles and whatnot. Its not that the spirit ever really wants to do these things but that the rules of magic force them too.

The above section does not in any way excuse how powerful spirits are and is intended only to respond to what I find to be quick fixes for a problem.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Jan 29 2009, 10:53 PM) *
Assuming you have 10 dice to resist drain, your chances to taking drain look like:
Take none ~70%
Take 1 ~19.6%
Take 2 ~8.7%
Take 3 ~1.7%

A ~30% chance of taking some drain is hardly 'easily countered'.

The best thing is that its physical damage. One good Field Medic, First Aid 4 + Logic 4 + medkit 6 (minus say 5 for conditions ) mage, and you have 3 dice of healing if the spell ends the fight.
Dragnar
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 30 2009, 07:49 AM) *

If the rules say so, then yes. a mage with LOG 3 may cast control thoughts on a character with LOG 4 no problem.
And the rules tell you, that the spirit will do the X tasks you ask of him. If the does so, because you woo him, threaten him, are more powerfull than him or because spirits are dumb automatons is fluff, basically. You don't have to out-think it to order it around.

That may not be the best solution, as allowing mages so summon beings vastly more powerful than themselves opens up some quite easily abusable tricks, but it's the RAW.
Lucky enough, all the people I game with think of that possibility as wierd and have never done it, nor intend to, but the possibility is explicitly there.
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 30 2009, 12:49 AM) *

I dont understand this either.

What I dont understand even more though is why these mages are even shadowrunning at all. With Mind Control, he could simply walk up to a stockbroker and instantly become one of the world's richest men. Might as well also then get a meeting with the leader of every nation and just Mind Control them to turn over their power to him. All he has to do is succeed in a Mind Control vs the President's Counterspelling + Willpower, and viola! King of the world.

If spirit possession commonly available and so easy to do, then all the Force 10 spirits would just possess the leaders of each country and live a life of luxury, power, and authority.

Why would a Force 10 spirit, if they can possess anyone in a matter of seconds, do some low-life scum's bidding when all they need to do to fulfill their lust for power is possess the leader of the UCAS.

BTW, what ever happened to LOKI? He is still around in the Shadowrun world. According to the Lore, he would not only be real, but according to the rules he would be constantly possessing leaders to cause chaos and havok in the world. That is, until ZEUS decides to come down and possess the Leader's bodyguard, shoot the leader, then Astral Combat LOKI. But without overcasting, ZEUS would most certainly LOSE! :O
Dragnar
QUOTE (Aiolos Turin @ Jan 30 2009, 07:50 AM) *
They didnt just make up Shadowrun Lore from scratch. They have sources that they twist and use to make a more realistic world.

Yes, they did. Almost all stories and fictional worlds work that way. And if they change anything to be different from their source, crying that they are somehow wrong now, as the way it's depicted in the source is more correct, is wierd, to say the least.

If the rules say possession is easy and you're free to do so all the time, someone goofed. Most likely the person who wrote the rules doesnt care as much about the Lore as the other writers.

AFAIK, there isn't a single fluff piece in SR saying that possession is extremly difficult to achieve. A source from outside SR depicting it as difficult is completely meaningless for the SR-world.

And if your GM allows possession easily and anytime you want in, he is not only a horrible writer and storyteller, but has absolutely no idea the concept and general idea of Shadowrun Lore. It is based off of real life beliefs, exagerated Myths, etc.

No, he's just playing shadowrun as intended as opposed to a personal homebrew version while claiming he's somehow more real than the real thing...

Not only this, but Shadowrun is exactly the future of Earthdawn, which I know the Lore to that as well. Earthdawn was the first era, followed by the era we live in now, with Shadowrun being the era after that. I've read many of the Shadowrun books, focusing on the link between reality's beliefs and their personal twist on things. I love how they brought alive many creatures Greek mythology as metavarients. Anyways, I think I know what I'm talking about.

No, no it's not. The ED-SR link is a fun little easter egg. The SR universe was never intended as a one-to-one depiction of a futuristic ED world. ED events have been woven into the SR-metaplot for fun, but that's it. The magic system in ED is significantly different from the one in SR, which is no problem, as they are not the same.
Apart from that, most SR novels are written outside of the actual SR-development team and have a tenous connection to the "real" SR-world at best. They are, for the most part, non-canon.

But of course, it's personally fine if you want your story to be like The Exorcist every shadowrun, have magic more common than BTL's, never have any military or paramilitary presence, or label all your characters Vegeta as a Mystic Adept with the spell Powerbolt and the rest dumped into Adept skills. It's not like anything SUPPOSE to be rare, mystical, or realistic.

Yeah, I think I'm done now... Why did I try reason in the first place?
Fine, your SR is better than my SR and it's better than that wannabe-SR depicted in the official books as well.
Happy now?

I think I'm following Muspellsheimrs example...
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Jan 30 2009, 01:15 AM) *
Yes, they did.

I didn't read anything after this.

I dont know if you're just confused or ignorant of other's culture or what, but this is simply false.

Almost everything in the Lore is directly based off of something in the Real World. Shadowrun Lore is entirely based on stereotypes, exagerations, beliefs, cultures, mythology, and all forms of stereotypical fantasy combined with stereotypical cyberpunk.
I actually dont even know if I can think of a single thing that is original, besides the actual idea of combining everything together (which is entirely GENIUS! Very original to combine everything unoriginal)

There is literally nothing I can think of that has no been implemented in the Shadowrun Lore. Everything from Greek Cyclops, Satyrs, Goblins, Ogres, Oni's, Wireless Internet, Religion, Native Americans, near-future technology, Bigfoot, the Lochness Monster, Vampires, Zombies, Virus, etc.

The authors of Shadowrun must have read numerous articles about near-future technology, many cyberpunk and high fantasy books, and especially lived in the recent years where Wireless internet came about.
LOL... they didnt even have wireless internet in the future before it came to pass in reality. Then the entire SR4 matrix was revamped to reflect our real world.

Hmm... the rise of the Native Americans and the split of the USA was very original, I'll give them that.

To say that Shadowrun was created from scratch is denying the most beautiful thing about it. It's more wonderful than the X-File's World where mythology, spirituality, and urban legend comes to life, or M' Night Shamalananananana's "Unbreakable" where Comic Book Superheroes were explained as real.

To deny reality and the world's sources and cultural beliefs is to deny the very beauty that is Shadowrun. Posession is not, nor will it ever be, an easy part of Shadowrun- solely because that is not found in most cultures. The Shadowrun Lore adheres to a beautifuly crafted "If a lot of people believe it, then it's in the Lore, with a twist!"

Not ot mention that any GM or Writer who allows easy possession is perhaps (regardless of Shadowrun Lore) a HORRIBLE writer, not as an opinion but as a fact. To pull off easy possession while maintaining an "Its an opinion, not a fact that I'm a horrible writer" you would have to entirely change the game to "Possession 2: Its all about the spirits" and devoid yourself of any attachment to Shadowrun. Not to mention your story would suck to everyone but those who love stories entirely themed about possession and how easy it is. But still, it would be a matter of opinion that you suck, not fact. But in the Shadowrun world, easy manipulation and overpowered abilities (whether possession, mind control, or explosives) is a fact that the GM is a horrible writer, unless the amount of spirits that can possess are extremely uncommon, or its an entire story-arc about a massive disturbing force of possessive spirits. Else your world would consist of this:

Tommy is a mundane, ordinary, middle-class 14 year old in a nice, clean city.
Tommy goes to the supermarket.
Tommy wakes up in a porn store with his pants down.
Tommy sighs, "Man....possessed again..."

Also, there would be another Mega-Corp called "The Ghostbusters" whose sole income is just capturing spirits that constantly possess people, with an entire Division to catch Pervert Spirits who prey on 14 year old boys.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Jan 29 2009, 11:55 PM) *
If the rules say so, then yes. a mage with LOG 3 may cast control thoughts on a character with LOG 4 no problem.
And the rules tell you, that the spirit will do the X tasks you ask of him. If the does so, because you woo him, threaten him, are more powerfull than him or because spirits are dumb automatons is fluff, basically. You don't have to out-think it to order it around.

You do if you want the spirit to do what you want, rather than what you say. The core books clearly point out that spirits are to be treated as independent, thinking entities. If one such feels put upon, say by an "impudent conjurer" (SM, p. 95), then the command "Kill those guards" could be followed in many ways that meet the letter of the command but cause collateral mischief and woe for the conjurer. What constitutes an impudent conjurer versus a magical master is linked, albeit loosely, to the Magic attribute of the magician in comparison to the Force of the spirit. A magician who continues to summon and command uber-spirits will sooner or later pay for it.

The smarter the spirit, the more fun for the GM.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Aiolos Turin @ Jan 30 2009, 12:18 AM) *
Almost everything in the Lore is directly based off of something in the Real World. Shadowrun Lore is entirely based on stereotypes, exagerations, beliefs, cultures, mythology, and all forms of stereotypical fantasy combined with stereotypical cyberpunk.
I actually dont even know if I can think of a single thing that is original, besides the actual idea of combining everything together (which is entirely GENIUS! Very original to combine everything unoriginal)

There is literally nothing I can think of that has no been implemented in the Shadowrun Lore. Everything from Greek Cyclops, Satyrs, Goblins, Ogres, Oni's, Wireless Internet, Religion, Native Americans, near-future technology, Bigfoot, the Lochness Monster, Vampires, Zombies, Virus, etc.

Based on, but different. There is no Troll in any mythology that is metahuman or walks among men as one of them. The Mayan calendar says the cycle ends and begins again on 21 December, 2012, not 24 Dec, 2011. The game we discuss here follows the core books, with all their 'twists', as you point out. GMs and players are free to interpret, change and manipulate the rules as they see fit.

I don't see what the argument is about. Play it the way you want. Someone else's interpretation is just as valid for their game. Tell us your vision, and maybe we can learn from it. Or not.
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 30 2009, 01:25 AM) *
You do if you want the spirit to do what you want, rather than what you say. The core books clearly point out that spirits are to be treated as independent, thinking entities. If one such feels put upon, say by an "impudent conjurer" (SM, p. 95), then the command "Kill those guards" could be followed in many ways that meet the letter of the command but cause collateral mischief and woe for the conjurer. What constitutes an impudent conjurer versus a magical master is linked, albeit loosely, to the Magic attribute of the magician in comparison to the Force of the spirit. A magician who continues to summon and command uber-spirits will sooner or later pay for it.

I would have tons of fun as a GM screwing over overpowered munchkin players at every opportunity, until they ragequit and go off to use wallhacks and aimbots in CS and exploit in WoW.

I had one player walk into a pizza restaurant as a 14 year old, and randomly start hitting customers in the head with a iron pipe. It wasn't shortly after that he was taking out the trash in an alley and was facing 6 sawed off shotguns which left him to be the sausage in the next pizza.
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 30 2009, 01:37 AM) *
Based on, but different. There is no Troll in any mythology that is metahuman or walks among men as one of them. The Mayan calendar says the cycle ends and begins again on 21 December, 2012, not 24 Dec, 2011. The game we discuss here follows the core books, with all their 'twists', as you point out. GMs and players are free to interpret, change and manipulate the rules as they see fit.

I don't see what the argument is about. Play it the way you want. Someone else's interpretation is just as valid for their game. Tell us your vision, and maybe we can learn from it. Or not.

Yes, and it's the beauty of Based on, but different, that I love about shadowrun.

The argument right now is that he says it was created from scratch, and not based on anything- when the opposite is true. Ive never seen more of other people's cultures and ideas than in Shadowrun. It literally has every belief, every culture, and EVERYTHING combined into one world.

I told him everyone is free to do their game as they want, but that it will not be part of the Shadowrun Lore to possess everyone commonly and easily. Just because the rules make it easy, doesnt mean they intended on this to turn into The Exorcist en mass. He argues otherwise. People are free to change the world- but they must admit that they are changing it. It is ludicrous IMO to say "I am changing nothing!" when it's quite obvious it is different from the shadowrun world. If Possession was a common and easy occurance in shadowrun, the world wouldnt be the way it is. It would be very, very, very messed up, and different. Not to mention spirits would rule the world.

Your posts are wonderfully intelligent though, and I entirely agree with almost all of them. Great points, as always.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Aiolos Turin @ Jan 30 2009, 12:40 AM) *
Yes, and it's the beauty of Based on, but different, that I love about shadowrun.

The argument right now is that he says it was created from scratch, and not based on anything- when the opposite is true. Ive never seen more of other people's cultures and ideas than in Shadowrun. It literally has every belief, every culture, and EVERYTHING combined into one world.

I told him everyone is free to do their game as they want, but that it will not be part of the Shadowrun Lore to possess everyone commonly and easily. Just because the rules make it easy, doesnt mean they intended on this to turn into The Exorcist en mass. He argues otherwise.

Your posts are wonderfully intelligent though, and I entirely agree with almost all of them. Great points, as always.

I see your side, I just don't think it is as easy as you think it is. In part, I suspect massively powerful possession spirits are abused because people (GMs and players alike) don't apply all the caveats to the possession power.
Aiolos Turin
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 30 2009, 01:44 AM) *
I see your side, I just don't think it is as easy as you think it is. In part, I suspect massively powerful possession spirits are abused because people (GMs and players alike) don't apply all the caveats to the possession power.

Well I dont know how easy it is. I only assumed it was easy because ive read numerous amounts of people claim its very, very easy. I assumed they knew what they were talking about.
Perhaps not my wisest assumption...lol

I have limited experience with magic, as I'm having a problem with it ruining my street-level campaign, so I'm keeping it out or low until I can rather find a balance or do a 400bp campaign. The most expensive piece of equipment that the players have is only a 4R shotgun and a 4R machine pistol. Nothing more than 4 availability at the start of our 300bp redmond barren street campaign. My mages have only ever used combat spells, so I dont know the power of Mind Control and Possession, outside of the many many posts I read stating their power and what people have done with them.
Dragnar
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 30 2009, 08:25 AM) *

You are fully correct in that the possible fallout could be really bad news for the conjurer. The devs most likely didn't intend for maxxed starting chars to be able to summon force 14 spirits that proceed to burninate all reasonable opposition.
It's still possible, though, which is why I'll play the devils advocate some more and say that having a force 14 spirit come back to burninate his old conjurer as revenge for his impudence to summon him is, in essence, GM fiat not unlike having an ares strike team blow up his apartment because he used too much lethal force in his last run against the corp. Both are technically possible and everyone will draw the line between "possible repercussion" and "kneejerk GM reaction" somewhere else.
Which is precisely the reason I and others would have preferred more concise guidelines beyond "if the conjurer tries "too much", have the spirit not like it", which could alleviate possible friction between the player of said conjurer and the GM if they happen to have vastly different opinions about what is reasonable and what isn't.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Jan 30 2009, 12:56 AM) *
Which is precisely the reason I and others would have preferred more concise guidelines beyond "if the conjurer tries "too much", have the spirit not like it", which could alleviate possible friction between the player of said conjurer and the GM if they happen to have vastly different opinions about what is reasonable and what isn't.

Yeah, well I too think some ideas and guidelines could have been elaborated. As in any roleplaying game, the GM is clothing-overborne... forced to wear many hats and walk in a lot of shoes.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Aiolos Turin @ Jan 30 2009, 03:47 PM) *
I have limited experience with magic, as I'm having a problem with it ruining my street-level campaign, so I'm keeping it out or low until I can rather find a balance or do a 400bp campaign. The most expensive piece of equipment that the players have is only a 4R shotgun and a 4R machine pistol. Nothing more than 4 availability at the start of our 300bp redmond barren street campaign. My mages have only ever used combat spells, so I dont know the power of Mind Control and Possession, outside of the many many posts I read stating their power and what people have done with them.

I think that an availability of 4 is a bit low; try 6 or 8 for better results. Otherwise, the magical guys will run right over any mundanes. For example, the availability for wired reflexes-1 is 8, so for any mundane to have an extra IP pass requires at least avail 8.

Take a look at Wak's 320 point challenge for some samples.

But even at an availability limit of 4, you can still get:
Remington 990 shotgun (7P -1)
Ruger 100 rifle (7P -1)
AK-97 (6P -1, autofire)
Several different sorts of SMG (AKSU-97, HK MP-5, Uzi IV) all 5P, autofire
and both the Manhunter and Predator Heavy Pistols (5P -1)

So your walking around weapon is going to be a Predator (5P -1)
and your go to weapon is going to be a shotgun (7P -1) or AK-97 (6P -1, autofire).

If you try to fight it out with light pistols and machine pistols, you'll probably get someone angry enough to come over there and kick you in the head, but you certainly aren't going to kill them.
ornot
It's entirely reasonable for a magic 6 mage, knowing almost all there is to know about spellcasting (skill=6) with an incredibly powerful focus, to obliterate almost anyone. The magic rules actually work pretty well (despite a handful of unbalanced spells); where things fall down is that anyone hyperspecialised can walk over any opposition. I had a player with a PC heavily optimised for combat. In a fight he was nigh unstoppable, but anywhere else he sucked. Even then, a lucky hit with a shotgun made such a mess of him he took ot being a little more careful.

As for possession spirits, remember that a vessel that isn't prepared get's an additional +6 dice to resist possession. This won't stop a Force 9 spirit, but then again, not much should. Summoning a force 9 spirit is not trivial, and the spirit is an NPC, with desires and motivations determined by the gm. If a mage is optimised to summon high force spirits, there's not much you can do beyond encourage your player to make a less specialised character.

I don't think that your suggested houserule adds anything to the game, or makes magic more balanced. It just makes foci become muct have items. If you want a mage to rely on objects of power, enforce a fetish geas on your mages. I have actually toyed with the idea of applying a specific to geas to each tradition, to make traditions a little more distinct from each other under the rules, but I've not raised it with my players.
Dragnar
QUOTE (ornot @ Jan 30 2009, 12:09 PM) *
As for possession spirits, remember that a vessel that isn't prepared get's an additional +6 dice to resist possession.

Actually, it's the other way round. The spirit gets an additional +6 dice if trying to possess a prepared vessel, which makes possession all but assured in such situations.
ornot
Really? I read the rules quite carefully this morning, and could have sworn it was a bonus to the resistance pool.

I shall reread them when I get back home. It's a moot point for me, since I have no possession traditions in my game right now.
Dragnar
As I have the book available at the moment.

QUOTE (Street Magic, page 101)
The spirit makes an Opposed Test pitting its Force x 2 against the vessel’s Intuition + Willpower Test (for living vessels). For inanimate vessels, the spirit makes a Force x 2 (vessel’s Object Resistance) Test. Apply a +6 dice pool bonus to the spirit if the vessel has been previously prepared (see Vessel Preparation, p. 86).

Emphasis mine
ornot
Hmmm... My bad, I guess.

However, my misreading could form the basis of a houserule to make possession more appealing to its detractors. I'd play it by RAW first tho'.
InfinityzeN
Only one problem with the hyper-possession summoner. He would most likely break the golden rule of role playing. That leads to a warning, followed by a cow from space to remove the annoying character, followed by a "Get the hell out" if the player tries to make a character like that again.

In case your wondering, the golden rule is "Make sure the game is fun for all involved". When you have someone doing something that makes all the other players and GM bored/pissed/apathic to the game, well you gotta fix the problem.
pbangarth
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Jan 30 2009, 08:29 AM) *
Only one problem with the hyper-possession summoner. He would most likely break the golden rule of role playing. That leads to a warning, followed by a cow from space to remove the annoying character, followed by a "Get the hell out" if the player tries to make a character like that again.

In case your wondering, the golden rule is "Make sure the game is fun for all involved". When you have someone doing something that makes all the other players and GM bored/pissed/apathic to the game, well you gotta fix the problem.

In Canada, the preferred ungulate is the moose. The antlers aid in guidance, and targeting of the offending player.
Malachi
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 30 2009, 11:57 AM) *
In Canada, the preferred ungulate is the moose. The antlers aid in guidance, and targeting of the offending player.

Wow, another SR player on the prairies of Canada? Woohoo! All hail the orbital moose!
Wiggles Von Beerchuggin'
QUOTE (Aiolos Turin @ Jan 30 2009, 07:37 AM) *
I would have tons of fun as a GM screwing over overpowered munchkin players at every opportunity, until they ragequit and go off to use wallhacks and aimbots in CS and exploit in WoW.

Weird. I always thought that the role of a GM was to make things fun and interesting for players, instead of abusing them until they get pissed off and quit.

As a GM, if you don't like a character you can say so. Don't want an overpowered caster in your game? Give him restrictions on character creation and tell him to make a new character, or modify the existing character to be inline with the restrictions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012