Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL example of SR scare
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
OK I held off on publishing this because it really did bother me.

It happened last week to me and I could only think this is how a lot of SR stuff could start. For those who don't know I'm in finance. The company I work for was holding off on publishing it's annual report until the end of the month. This was important because it would include a list of what it's holdings are, something not updated since the summer. There were a lot of inquires from lcients who wanted to know what the holding were and we were not able to tell them. This was propriatary info and we were the people on the do not tell list because we dealt with lcients regulalry and might lsip if we knew.

Well on Monday, someone accidentally routed a copy of the annual report to the printer in my office. 5 days in advance and there I was, holding in my hands the report everyone wanted. Listing what companies we dumped and which we had bought into. Serious insider knowledge the sort of stuff that could cause problems. Forexampel we obught considerable maounts of Boeing and Northrup. We hadn't had any defense accounts before and suddenly we had a lot og stuff. a lot of aeronautics and the knowledge of this could affect the stocks as people bought into them-for example we increased our holdings in Pfizer, which took a serious hit this week, and I knew how much we held.

Now imagine I'm a good little corper in 2070 who finds herself finding this stuff? It very quickly became aparent how much trouble i could get into with it if not careful.
IceKatze
hi hi

Wow, that is intense. I hope it didn't cause too much trouble for you, I know that is the kind of thing that could spawn no end of pressing questions from one's superiors.

It is also an absolutely incredible plot hook. It the kind of cinematic moment where time seems to stand still as all the possibilities both fantastic and horrible considered. Part of it is the fact that one is unprepared for the situation, usually pay-data is sought after rather then dropped into ones lap on accident. Once you learn something, you can't unlearn it though. (well technically you can with laes) In any case, it reminds me of famous stories like The Pearl by John Steinbeck or Hackers (the guy didn't realize just how hot the data was at the beginning)
pbangarth
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 31 2009, 08:34 PM) *
Now imagine I'm a good little corper in 2070 who finds herself finding this stuff? It very quickly became aparent how much trouble i could get into with it if not careful.

So? What happened? How did you deal with it? Is the person who sent the sensitive info to the wrong printer still employed there?
Tomothy
I'm guessing you didn't take the opportunity to engage in a little insider trading or you probably wouldn't be posting about it on here. nyahnyah.gif
Snow_Fox
Right, I love my licence and do notwant to be talknig to federal investigators about insider trading. It might be impossible to prove but it would be suspicious if I had gone out and sold short on Pfizer or bought up Boeing, and the urle of thumb on any licences exams i've taken is 'if it looks questionable, it's wrong."

I don't know where it came from but it's easy to send to the wrong printer in our system and yeah, after thinking 'neat that's what we've got" I thought "Oh S*** this is insider stuff." It's probably a bad sign of how i think that the next htought was "Just like SR."
hobgoblin
heh, make sure your office has a lighter or matches available, and a metal container of some sort...

oh, and when i first read the thread title, i was thinking this would be a RL example of the night of rage, or the technomancer incident...
kzt
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 1 2009, 11:50 AM) *
heh, make sure your office has a lighter or matches available, and a metal container of some sort...

Most every office has shred bins.... That doesn't set off the smoke alarms.
hobgoblin
heh, while true, they can be recovered, unless we are talking about the kind that produce confetti...
ludomastro
Given that I have a confetti producing shredder for my house they aren't hard to come by. The ones at my office reduce paper to pieces smaller than that left behind by a hole punch.

-----

I handle "Confidential" and "Company Privileged" information as a routine part of my job. I feel for ya, Snow_Fox.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 31 2009, 10:34 PM) *
OK I held off on publishing this because it really did bother me.

It happened last week to me and I could only think this is how a lot of SR stuff could start. For those who don't know I'm in finance. The company I work for was holding off on publishing it's annual report until the end of the month. This was important because it would include a list of what it's holdings are, something not updated since the summer. There were a lot of inquires from lcients who wanted to know what the holding were and we were not able to tell them. This was propriatary info and we were the people on the do not tell list because we dealt with lcients regulalry and might lsip if we knew.

Well on Monday, someone accidentally routed a copy of the annual report to the printer in my office. 5 days in advance and there I was, holding in my hands the report everyone wanted. Listing what companies we dumped and which we had bought into. Serious insider knowledge the sort of stuff that could cause problems. Forexampel we obught considerable maounts of Boeing and Northrup. We hadn't had any defense accounts before and suddenly we had a lot og stuff. a lot of aeronautics and the knowledge of this could affect the stocks as people bought into them-for example we increased our holdings in Pfizer, which took a serious hit this week, and I knew how much we held.

So what you're saying is that we should all call our stockbrokers, immediately? Thanks for the tip.

In SR, I imagine that there are four types of people who could get that information. Type 1 is the sort that would try to avoid trouble as efficiently as possible, and shred it immediately without comment. Type 2 is the good little employee who would report it to the boss. Type 3 is the greedy sort who would use it to plot their own stock ownership decisions. Type 4 is the ambitious sort who would use that information to curry favors, steal clients, and blackmail some important people.

After a certain point, no one but Type 4s will ever get promoted.
kzt
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 1 2009, 10:57 PM) *
After a certain point, no one but Type 4s will ever get promoted.

Those that don't get assassinated or killed in "random senseless street violence".
darthmord
QUOTE (kzt @ Feb 2 2009, 01:56 AM) *
Those that don't get assassinated or killed in "random senseless street violence".

Or from multiple self-inflicted shotgun rounds to the head.
JeffSz
A good guideline to follow is "If I break the law and in so doing, make a whole lot of money for a some people who already have a whole lot of money, I'm okay. If i use this information and someone LOSES a whole lot of money, I'm screwed. Sideways."
Panzergeist
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 1 2009, 01:07 PM) *
Right, I love my licence and do notwant to be talknig to federal investigators about insider trading. It might be impossible to prove but it would be suspicious if I had gone out and sold short on Pfizer or bought up Boeing, and the urle of thumb on any licences exams i've taken is 'if it looks questionable, it's wrong."

I don't know where it came from but it's easy to send to the wrong printer in our system and yeah, after thinking 'neat that's what we've got" I thought "Oh S*** this is insider stuff." It's probably a bad sign of how i think that the next htought was "Just like SR."

Well, selling short would have been suspicious, but you could have gotten away with buying. After all, you weren't even supposed to know this info. Hell, you could have bought a few shares of Pfizer and a couple other random stocks just to cover your tracks. devil.gif
crash2029
Hmm. A thought strikes me. For whatever reason the runners need leverage on a target. The hacker "accidentally" sends sensitive very profitable info to the targets desk. No matter what the target does the runners have levergae on them.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Feb 4 2009, 12:05 PM) *
Hmm. A thought strikes me. For whatever reason the runners need leverage on a target. The hacker "accidentally" sends sensitive very profitable info to the targets desk. No matter what the target does the runners have levergae on them.

I love that idea love.gif
Next time, I want to blackmail the PCs, I know what to do biggrin.gif
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (IceKatze @ Jan 31 2009, 10:54 PM) *
Once you learn something, you can't unlearn it though. (well technically you can with laes) ...

Another run idea.

"My name is Mr. Johnson. I need one dose of Laes and I need it... forty five minutes ago. Once you have the drug, I need you to place it in back of the staffroom fridge on the thirty-eighth floor of Henson & Bedge's Financial offices. Judging from my body mass index, that will give you eight hours and fifteen minutes starting from when you got this call."
Kanada Ten
(edit)
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Feb 4 2009, 07:52 AM) *
Another run idea.

"My name is Mr. Johnson. I need one dose of Laes and I need it... forty five minutes ago. Once you have the drug, I need you to place it in back of the staffroom fridge on the thirty-eighth floor of Henson & Bedge's Financial offices. Judging from my body mass index, that will give you eight hours and fifteen minutes starting from when you got this call."

But will he remember to pay us?

Reminds me of a Philip Dick short story, actually, though I can't recall the name...
ludomastro
The Philip Dick story were the guy invents (or rips off) technology only to have his memory erased every time he completes the job?
Daddy's Little Ninja
"We can remember it for you wholesale" ?

nezumi
QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 4 2009, 02:23 PM) *
The Philip Dick story were the guy invents (or rips off) technology only to have his memory erased every time he completes the job?

That's his? Awesome. I saw a movie based off of that idea that I loved. I'd tell you the title, but they wiped my memory when I changed jobs.

(I know, they didn't do very well at it. That's government for you.)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 4 2009, 03:09 PM) *

Reminds me of a Philip Dick short story, actually, though I can't recall the name...

may be the perfect time to use a escrow account, or whatever its called.
Kanada Ten
Paycheck, was the story. Can't believe I found it. That guy's written a megaton, sheese.

QUOTE (wikipedia)
Jennings, a talented electronic engineer, has accepted a bizarre contract with Rethrick Construction. The terms of the contract state that he will work for two years on a secret project after which he will have his memory of the time erased and will be paid an inordinate sum. He wakes up to find that during his tenure he decided to forgo the payment of money and instead receive an envelope of trinkets.
Professeur
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 4 2009, 04:12 PM) *
"We can remember it for you wholesale" ?

Nah, this is the one about fake memories being real.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 4 2009, 09:09 AM) *

sure, he finds the drug, ok's the payment, takes the drug and then forgets everything. I really like this.of ocurse once the baddies figure out that johnson knows nothing, then they might be after you to see what he told you before he chugalugged his RNA away
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 4 2009, 02:23 PM) *

isn't this part of Joss whedon's new serries 'doll house' where elisha dsuhku is 'programed' with the skills she needs for each run and then has them erased.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 4 2009, 10:09 AM) *

Another run idea! A johnson calls in a shadow team to investigate/neutralize a team of shadowrunners who claim they performed a run for him, but he has no recollection or record of the run, so he suspects it's an elaborate blackmail ploy.
ludomastro
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 4 2009, 08:18 PM) *
isn't this part of Joss whedon's new serries 'doll house' where elisha dsuhku is 'programed' with the skills she needs for each run and then has them erased.

Since "Dollhouse" comes on opposite something the wife likes, I have missed out on this one.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 5 2009, 02:29 PM) *
Since "Dollhouse" comes on opposite something the wife likes, I have missed out on this one.

This statement implies that you and your wife watch television in the future. It premires Feburary 13th at 9PM on Fox.
Snow_Fox
shhh

SR magic doesn't allow time travel.

TARDIS Express, when it absolutely, positively has to be there yesterday.
hobgoblin
time travel, maybe not, but how about some backdated computer logs? wink.gif
ludomastro
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 5 2009, 01:07 PM) *
This statement implies that you and your wife watch television in the future. It premires Feburary 13th at 9PM on Fox.

Not necessarily. One only has to know what the inputs are and can draw a reasonable outcome. It may be premature to say it but that doesn't mean it is less true.

For example, "The Tigers have beaten the Wildcats and they haven't even gotten to the field." This is a future statement in the past tense. Granted, it assumes that I know enough about the hypothetical game to draw that conclusion but it doesn't invalidate it.

So, any show opposite what my wife likes is - in my world at least - toast. Past, present or future.

grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
thats why the techies invented DVR and similar wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012