Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
http://www.gizmag.com/metal-storm-3-shot-g...ertified/10908/

now thats firepower wink.gif
Warentester
Yeah, the metal storm system reaches up to 1Mio Shots/Minute
Check this out

KarmaInferno
The major problem with MetalStorm is the space it takes.

If you have an application where you only need to fire a limited amount of ammunition, it's great.

If you need to be able to fire a large amount of ammo, well, you need to start packing on additional barrels.

That can get kinda unwieldy.

Something like a machine gun emplacement, would you rather be swinging around a massive heavy gun with 30 barrels, or a much lighter single barrel (or even 6-barrel rotary) weapon with an ammo feed?

It depends what you want to do. If you need to shoot only once, the metal storm might be of interest. That way you could for example shoot a full-auto burst from a sniper rifle without suffering recoil (or at least without having the recoil affecting precision)
AllTheNothing
The metal Storm system is interesting but unless you have some loading mechanism you are stuck with switching multiple pre-loaded barrels, muzzle loading, break action loading and breach loadingm I'm not an expert but none of this options seems to me a good choise for combat zone; it could work great for bolt action sniper rifles thought.
hobgoblin
something tells me that if one can carry multiple preloaded under-barrel grenade launchers and use some kind of quick release so that when 3 rounds have been fired one just drop the whole launcher assembly and attach a new one, it could work...

but it still may be more effective to just use the reloadable single round one, i guess...
RedeemerofOgar
The best use i've seen is integrating the electronic-fire with electronic-targeting on a fast-flyover vehicle of some sort. Precision strafing for the win.
Heath Robinson
In the case of underbarrel mortars your riflemen typically carry three grenades at most as far as I know. The ammunition limitation is, therefore, not exactly a problem for standard practice.

Nonstandard practicewise? It's probably better to carry those extra barrels slung beneath additional rifles.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (RedeemerofOgar @ Feb 5 2009, 09:43 PM) *
The best use i've seen is integrating the electronic-fire with electronic-targeting on a fast-flyover vehicle of some sort. Precision strafing for the win.

I could have sworn I saw a concept vid of multiple short MetalStorm launchers mounted sideways in a missile, so that as the missile flew over a battlefield the launchers would fire downward as it went along.

The forward-facing targeting system would note targets ahead and have the launcher fire down as the missile passed over them.

Maybe I'm thinking of a non-MetalStorm system?

http://www.metalstorm.com/content/view/74/114/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012