Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sorcerers and Astral Projection
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sphynx
Here's an interesting thing someone pointed out to me.... By the book it seems that, regardless if you're an aspected, adept, or full mage, if you're Awakened and take the Dual Natured 'flaw' in YotC, you can Astrally Project.

Page 260 of the SR3 and the Dual Natured SURGE both seem to say just that.

Please tell me I'm missing some obvious syntax somewhere..... I hate to think that in my years of playing a Dual Natured Sorcerer, I've never once used such a powerful Canonical ability.... nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Lilt
I noticed that when I was digging around about stuff on wether foci have mundane uses on the astral. I was also wondering if it could save me 3 BPs in your game (Hey, we are supposed to make our characters as powerful as possible, Yes?)

(It also says the same thing on P5 of Critters)

[edit="jeesus"] I missed that one too. I do think it is pretty-much wholly canonical, especially from the description in the SURGE section of YoTC[/edit]
spotlite
I thought it said Astrally Perceive... hang on a sec...
spotlite
'Dragons and other DUAL beings' it says. Above that it explains quite clearly that dual beings are not like characters, which can turn their perception on and off at will. Its true that technically speaking when someone is astrally perceiving they are considered dual natured, or dual beings, but its not intended to mean the same thing in those circumstances. In the context of the paragraph in question on p260, it refers to dual Beings, or creatures which are permanently dual natured.

Aspected Magicians all have the ability to perceive, not project, that's stated quite clearly on P160 of SR3. I think that supercedes anything which might be only implied elsewhere, like on p260 (the dragons and spirits chapter) of the rule book and under dual natured SURGE effects where it refers to the 'Awakened' insteal of being more specific. Something for the Errata I expect if someone wants to point it out to them.

EDIT: sorry, that sounded really snotty. It wasn't meant that way. I'm just in a hurry! END EDIT
Lilt
But we are talking about characters with the dual natured SURGE flaw or Shapeshifter characters. In YotC it states explicitly that if a character is awakened and has that flaw then they can astrally project.
spotlite
No, its says they can 'still' do it. Implying that if they couldn't before, they still can't! (really going now!)
Lilt
Wether the SURGE flaw grants astral projection to any awakened character depends on wether you think the line "effectively becoming dual natured" from the SURGE flaw does mean becoming a dual being. the description of a dual being certainly matches that of someeone who is permenantly dual natured.
Glyph
But dual nature does not automatically give you astral projection. It simply means that you can astrally percieve at will. Re-read the section on shapeshifters. Shapeshifters who are not mages can't project, so I don't see why any other awakened character who becomes dual-natured could - unless they already could. Spotlite is right.

Besides, isn't this "disadvantage" enough of a goodie already? Especially for adepts, who get the equivalent of a 2-Power Point ability, as a Flaw! Yeah, the disadvantage is that you can't turn it off, but as soon as you initiate once and take masking, you can make it look like you are not astrally perceiving, which reduces the main drawback to an occasional nuisance (sneaking past wards is still a pain, though).
Sphynx
Yeah, I based my decision on Shapeshifters, but to be perfectly honest, you can't use that as a way of saying it's non-canon. It does appear to be Canon that becoming Dual Natured and being Awakened allow for Projecting.

By the book, it doesn't say that Dual Natured gets Astral Perception even, it says they become Dual Natured only. You're having to base the Astral Perception primarily on what Dual Natured means (which is described on page 260) and the paragraph right after it explains that they Astrally Perceive, it says they can Astrally Project too if they have Awakened skills. The ONLY thing that would suggest otherwise is if you read the 'still' in spotlight's post as meaning 'still astrally project if you could before' rather than as 'still astrally project like any other awakened dual natured creature'. I think Spotlight is right, but that is still an Interpretation only, and not Canon. Looking for something a little more Canon before I mark this one down as a House Interpretation in our games.

Sphynx
Sphynx
Never mind all, Canon source answer is on page 264 where it shows that the quote on page 260, the usage of "magical skills" was in reference to the "magical skills" power.

Sphynx
L.D
Critters page 5:
Dual beings with magical skills are capable of astral projection. They can separate their astral bodies from their physical bodies, just as do full magicians.

This means that a sorcerer who's dual natured can indeed project.

Edit: Are you sure Sphynx? My interpretation is that the sorcerer would be able to project. What about Ghouls then?

Edit2: The Critters book says that some Ghouls have Magical Skills as a Power (page 30), thus implying that Ghouls can project.
Sphynx
Actually, it only implies that "some" ghouls may indeed be Full Mages. The word "Some" is in there.

Sphynx
L.D
It says that some have the Power Magical Skills and if you read the description of the power all it says is that creatures with that power are able to astrally project. It never states that the creature with the power must be able to use both sorcery and conjuring to be able to project.

Creatures able to use Sorcery can learn and cast spells, provide spell defense, and so on. They can also use Spell Pool. Creatures able to use Conjuring can summon and banish spirits (generally nature spirits).

Creatures with the Magical Skills power can also use astral projection in the same way as a magician (p. 172, SR3).

Edit: Reading through the BBB about magicians, it would seem that dual natured aren't automatically given the ability to project. I stand corrected. Though I always found that rule a bit silly (specially since the 2:nd edition had this cool Astral Adept) so I houseruled that aspected magicians can pick up projection as a metamagic.
Cochise
The sentence on p. 5 of Critters has the following problems:

It says "magical skills" which can be interpreted in two ways:
a) This refers only to the critter power "Magical Skills"
b) This refers to magical skills in general

Option a) would disallow dual-natured (not just astrally perceiving) aspected magicians (SURGE-effect, ghouls, aspected drakes or shapeshifters) to project.

Option b) creates problem No. 2
Any dual-natured being is allowed to learn aura-reading (even Cyberzombies can learn that). Since aura-reading is a magical skill, this would lead to any dual-natured being being able to project ...

Zazen
QUOTE (Cochise)
Option a) would disallow dual-natured (not just astrally perceiving) aspected magicians (SURGE-effect, ghouls, aspected drakes or shapeshifters) to project.

Option b) creates problem No. 2

Wait.. what was problem number 1? That first one is the way it should be, IMO.
Cochise
QUOTE (Zazen)

The "problem" is that unlike other sections of the rules the sentence in question does not say "Magical Skills" with capital letters (or even a page reference) that would clearly identify the critter power. So the problem actually is that there is room for interpretations ...

So while your opinion is perfectly o.k., it's not the sole valid interpretation of that sentence.

[edit]And to make things "worse" option a) also would mean that dual-natured aspected NPCs could project (since L.D. already pointed out that the "Magical Skills" power doesn't only reference full mages) while dual-natured aspected PCs couldn't.
Not very consistant[/edit]
RedmondLarry
Sphynx, you found some cool wording. As a GM, I'll apply those words to Critters and other NPCs that I want to have Astrally Project. It won't happen for player characters.
Lilt
I'm still waiting to hear Sphynx's rules-call on it. My character in Sphynx's on-line game has the dual natured flaw and magical skills but I also bought the astral projection ability (Sphynx is using a more versatile magic BP system). If I really do get this by default then I want to hear about it. nyahnyah.gif

(In Sphynx's own words we're supposed to munchkin/powergame as much as we want/can...)
Zazen
QUOTE (Cochise)
QUOTE (Zazen)

The "problem" is that unlike other sections of the rules the sentence in question does not say "Magical Skills" with capital letters (or even a page reference) that would clearly identify the critter power. So the problem actually is that there is room for interpretations ...

So while your opinion is perfectly o.k., it's not the sole valid interpretation of that sentence.

That's not a gameplay problem. If it's ambiguous but works fine in the game, I'm perfectly happy.

[edit]And to make things "worse" option a) also would mean that dual-natured aspected NPCs could project (since L.D. already pointed out that the "Magical Skills" power doesn't only reference full mages) while dual-natured aspected PCs couldn't.
Not very consistant[/edit]

But only critter NPCs, right? That's not really a big deal for me. The only time that's inconsistent is when the critter is a race that can be played as a PC. There are already major differences between those races as listed in Critters as opposed to SRComp.
Sphynx
Lilt, you have to pay for projection despite being Dual Natured. nyahnyah.gif

Cochise, look in the powers themselves, like Accident. It doesn't use capitalization in the power description. Ie: "A character hit with the accident power must make a test". Case sensitivity isn't a factor.

Sphynx
Lilt
NP. I figured it should probably work like that anyway, but who am I to turn-down freebie BPs? nyahnyah.gif
Cochise
QUOTE (Zazen)
That's not a gameplay problem. If it's ambiguous but works fine in the game, I'm perfectly happy.

Obviously it leads to different interpretations that will become an issue of gameplay, once you play with someone with a different POV than yours ... ~shrugs~

But only critter NPCs, right?

Not necessarily. Metahuman NPCs can also be considered as "critters". At least that's also a possible interpretation of the table on p. 19 of Critters.

That's not really a big deal for me. The only time that's inconsistent is when the critter is a race that can be played as a PC. There are already major differences between those races as listed in Critters as opposed to SRComp.

Which is more than just "once in a while" the reason for big discussions.
Personally I do not like these inconsistancies at all ...

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Lilt, you have to pay for projection despite being Dual Natured.

Could you actually provide a passage that says so?
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not necessarily advocating the interpretation of dual-natured beings being capable of projecting although only being aspected magicians, but that has nothing to do with that interpretation being a valid one.

Cochise, look in the powers themselves, like Accident. It doesn't use capitalization in the power description. Ie: "A character hit with the accident power must make a test". Case sensitivity isn't a factor.

Than you must have a different version of Critters than I have. Mine uses capitalization throughout the whole description of the Accindent power, whenever the word "Accident" refers to the power (same goes for all other powers). There's only one case where "accident" is used with lower case and that's when it refers to the accident caused by the "Accident" power.
So capitalization does matter.
Lilt
QUOTE (Cochise @ Jan 9 2004, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Lilt, you have to pay for projection despite being Dual Natured.

Could you actually provide a passage that says so?
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not necessarily advocating the interpretation of dual-natured beings being capable of projecting although only being aspected magicians, but that has nothing to do with that interpretation being a valid one.

Nah. I was talking about my character in Sphynx's online game where he's fully entitled to say that I don't get 3 more free building points from a 5pt flaw.

[edit]Also: It could be read as a kind-of "you may not have bought it but you have it anyway so you pay for it" type of thing.[/edit]

Personally I have reformulated my own oppinion on the flaw in which it dosen't grant astral projection to all characters anyway.

Essentially: Dual Natured != Dual Being
Sphynx
Cochise, I'm looking at the Accident power as written in the SR3, same book I read the Dual Being rules in.

Sphynx
Cochise
And I'm looking at page 5 of Critters on dual beings and projection and the subsequent re-listing of all critter powers beginning on p. 7 of Critters ...

Sphynx
Actually, since the Magical Skills power talks about being able to Project without any mention of a Dual Natured requisite, I believe that the magical skills mentioned on page 260 (sorry, don't have Critters) must mean skills as in what players have (otherwise, why even mention it under Dual Natured?). So, that means it's back to being more canon than non-canon that if you're Dual Natured, and Aspected, you can Project.

Sphynx
Zazen
QUOTE (Cochise)
QUOTE (Zazen)

Obviously it leads to different interpretations that will become an issue of gameplay, once you play with someone with a different POV than yours ... ~shrugs~

Kinda, I guess. If someone really did show up with the rather radical view that any magical skill at all entitles you to projection, I don't think it would create resentment when the GM asserted the more logical interpretation.

But only critter NPCs, right?

Not necessarily. Metahuman NPCs can also be considered as "critters". At least that's also a possible interpretation of the table on p. 19 of Critters.

I obviously meant critters relevant to this discussion (listed as having the Magical Skills power), which metahumans are not nyahnyah.gif

The only ones who will show any kind of PC/NPC consistency are ghouls and shifters (and any PC races in books I don't have). They already show other inconsistencies so I don't see the big deal adding another few grains of sand to the pile.
Frag-o Delux
This is just my interpetation.

My BBB has the word Creature in the Magical Skills description and it says most creatures follow a more shamanic style of magic, but not necessarily follow totems(at leat, not as humanity understands the concept). It also says "Creatures with magical skills can also use astral projection like a magician (p. 172). Similar to human and metahuman astral projectors."

This to me implies an alien vision of magic from an animal point of view. That makes me dis-allow this to any form of meta-humans, PC or NPC. I would also only allow the ability to creatures that specificially states in their power discription "Magical Skills" like in the Dragons section.

The whole description of these powers are in the Dragons and Spirits section, so in my mind I would totally ignore the fact that some where Meta-Human NPC's are called Critters, becasue in the Rigger book when talking about Meta-Human sigs it says critter signatures, that would include PC characters also. So if you were to allow NPCs the ability to Project because they are called a Critter in one book then PC's should be allowed also because they are called Critters in another.

Shapeshifters with "Magical Skills" I would allow to project, because in their description they are critter, more animal then human. But if taken as a character they would have to follow all the character rules.

Ghouls depend on what they were before they became ghouls, same with SURGE victims.

Again this is just my interpitation, ignore it as you please. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012