Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something Intruiguing in a Dragon's Will
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
gknoy
QUOTE (Dunklezahn)
60. To the corporations and governments of the world, I leave the formula for an infant vaccination that should be administered to all children born after 31 October 2060.

Do we yet know what this is about (via some canon source)? When I read this, I was hit by an interesting idea.

I remembered that in the thread discussing the Horrors, someone said that Dunklezahn had expressed belief that metahumanity could eventually stand up to the horrors, and have a chance of beating them. Maybe this ties in with that? Perhaps the vaccine is to prevent the horrors from possessing you, or granting some other minor immunity...

Any thoughts? smile.gif
Nath
The Forever Drug by Lisa Smedman. A pretty bad novel from what I've heard, at least concerning the use of the drug as a plot device. It's dragon blood or something like that, supposed to make all the children vaccined extremely long-lived.
Prototype
Can't think of a source for this, but I remember reading something about how the vaccine was thwarted by parties unknown... I think those against it claimed it had some sort of mind-controlling effect or something similar. Can't recall precisely, I'm sure someone will know!
Raiko
Humanis blow up the factory.

I think the vaccine had something to do with SURGE.

Synner
NMAth is correct. This was covered in the Forever Drug novel, wherein you discover that said vaccine was intended to replicate in non-elven metahumans the same longevity traits these possess. The biochemistry of said concoction was indeed supposed to be based on dragon genetics and biology. The vaccine was apparently destroyed by Humanis (or the IEs or Lofwyr, mileage varies) before it was distributed and is the Forever Drug in the novel's title.
Grey
If the game ever progresses into the late 70s or so, it would be interesting to play a character that just happened to get a dose of the stuff. An Orc that lives for hundreds of years. ork.gif
FlakJacket
Riiight. And of course, someone like Dunkie that had enough foresight and cunning to launch the Corp War and basically re-organise the world, didn't see the extremists coming and stash some extra copies away somewhere. sarcastic.gif Just always seemed a little silly to me.
Herald of Verjigorm
Announce the drug, drug gets officially destroyed, 120 year old orc announces that they have enough to start lange scale applications as originally intended, people accept it more willingly.
Fortune
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Announce the drug, drug gets officially destroyed, 120 year old orc announces that they have enough to start lange scale applications as originally intended, people accept it more willingly.

Where's the 120 year old Orc come from when they've only been around for 42 years? Relying on an actual Goblinized Orc is not really proof that the vaccine works as stated.
Herald of Verjigorm
Wait 90 years.
Namergon
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Riiight. And of course, someone like Dunkie that had enough foresight and cunning to launch the Corp War and basically re-organise the world, didn't see the extremists coming and stash some extra copies away somewhere. sarcastic.gif Just always seemed a little silly to me.

IIRC, Lofwyr was involved in countering Big D project. What's best to counter a Great D than another Great D ?
BIG BAD BEESTE
Ha, it was all a ruse to scan the world's infants for drake genetics! biggrin.gif
Grey
QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE)
Ha, it was all a ruse to scan the world's infants for drake genetics! biggrin.gif

That was my first thought when I saw this thread. smile.gif
kevyn668
Grey Posted on Jan 8 2004, 09:06 PM
  QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE)
Ha, it was all a ruse to scan the world's infants for drake genetics! 

That was my first thought when I saw this thread. 

Thats funny. My first thought was: "Here we go again..."

Kagetenshi
Anyone have any idea whether total vaccination would prevent Bone Crown from taking the form of the race in question?

~J
mfb
...what?
GoldenAri
Ha Ha, well that will start the whole thing up again. So I'm not going to comment.
Prototype
I assume this is related to the 'Bone Crown is behind Aztechnology' theory? So where is the evidence for this? Let's hear it!
Kagetenshi
No, actually, it's irrespective of Bone Crown's involvement with Aztechnology. One of Bone Crown's powers is assuming the form of any Namegiver race save Dragons. I was wondering perhaps if making an entire Namegiver race contain Draconic genetic material would prevent Bone Crown from assuming their form.

~J
Kanada Ten
I don't think it would prevent it from taking the form, per se. Prehaps it could be used as a way to tag/flag all non-horrors... A genetic tag...
Cheops
In ED canon one of the signs of the coming Scourge, other than the appearence of wraiths and insect beings called Invae, was that all the infants in a certain town in Barsaive shriveled up and died within one year. I can't remember the exact wording off hand but that is fairly close.

I always assumed that the vaccine was an attempt by D to counteract this.
mfb
bone crown is some crazy earthdawn name for llofwyr...?
Siege
I think "Bone Crown" is a Horror of some sort -- I would imagine most, if not all of the Great Dragons have sufficient magic to shape-shift into humanoid figures.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Bone Crown is an entirely different entity from Lofwyr, and in fact they cannot possibly be the same as the one Name-Giver form that Bone Crown cannot take is Dragon.

~J
toturi
Excuse me but how do you determine a Name-giver race? Does the amount of cyber/essense affect the amount of Namegiver-raciness?
Ancient History
No.
DV8
There was a first part to that question, smart-ass. smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Ancient History)
No.

So there are no Name-giver race?

So why the hell is everyone so damned afraid?
Kagetenshi
A Namegiver race is by definition one that can give names to things. I've gotten the impression that it's the fourth world's equivalent of calling a race sentient, but that's based on limited information; there may be more to it.

~J
Ancient History
The list:
Dragons (Feathered, Western, Eastern and Leviathan)
-Drakes
Humans
-Dwarves
-Elves
-Orks
-Trolls
-Jubruqs
T'skrang
Windlings
Jackalmen
Obsidimen
Leafers
Ulk-Men

Drakes technically qualify, but aren't considered an actual name-giver race until they can reproduce.

Essentially, to qualify as a namegiver race, you have to possess the potential to access thread magic; without being undead or a horror.
Siege
Heh, I assumed the "Name Givers" would naturally be us since the Bone Crown couldn't assume Dragon shape, naturally it would have to be someone who could be easily munched on. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Mr.Platinum
At one point in History according to the Dragons of the 6th some drakes can reproduce.
toturi
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum)
At one point in History according to the Dragons of the 6th some drakes can reproduce.

Bred drakes can, not true ones.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Humans
-Dwarves
-Elves
-Orks
-Trolls
-Jubruqs

WTF is a jubruq?
Ancient History
The sterile offspring of an ork or human female and a Jinari spirit (a type of elemental spirit, although apparently manufactured by a dragon named Jinarimaker, and mortal).

THey have a penchant for magic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012