Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What dreams may come in the days without toy safety regulations.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hyzmarca
The Atomic Energy Lab, the Gilbert Atomic Energy Lab and the Porter Atomic Energy Kit are pure awesomeness in the form of children's educational toys. How many other toys contain radioactive materials, including Uranium? I don't know, but the ones that do probably don't advertise it so enthusiastically. These toys date back to the time when everyone knew that nuclear power was the most awesome thing ever, before the anti-proliferation people ruined it for everyone. You can't find these in stores anymore.

In the old days, one could buy a children's chemistry kit that was sufficiently complete to serve as the basis for a methamphetamine manufacturing operation. Today's chemistry sets are woefully incomplete, mostly because the government won't let companies market some of the more interesting chemicals to children. And this really messes up the education of today's kids, as evidenced by this article.

In the old days, one could buy a realistic toy pistol that didn't have any sort of gaudy safety orange paint. Then there was a huge uproar about inner city cops possibly mistaking toy guns for real ones and killing kids. And now everyone suffers. Perhaps, teaching kids to not point things that look like guns at cops might have been a better idea. But, alas, that was never considered.

Unlike government, which fears that which it does not understand, such as science and black kids with guns, corporations thrive on innovation and imagination and risk. The Megacorps need to encourage the next generation, as much as they can, so it makes sense they they, freed from the evil tyranny of the devil-spawn known as the Consumer Products Safety Commission, would reintroduce toys of awesomeness that were formerly banned.

If you want Little Johnny and Little Jenny to make full use of their Cerebral Boosters, you need to give them toys that stimulate and educate them, toys that contain explosive precursors and uranium, among other things. If they want little ork boys to grow into violence-loving fodder for their military and security forces, they need toy guns that don't suck. If your kids' Matrix games don't include some grey IC then how will they ever learn to be good at cybercombat? The answer is that they won't, and they won't grow into the seven-figure salaried corporate deckers that you know that they can be.

Will there be model rockets? Hell yes. Will there be lawn darts? Of course. Will your Red Ryder have sufficient muzzle velocity to kill a devil rat? Most certainly.

The Sixth World is a dystopia of sorts, and dystopias usually hit kids the hardest; after all, they are the least able to defend themselves. Certainly, the ones who live off of half-eaten garbage and the little bit money they get giving nickle blowjobs to tourists aren't exactly in good shape. But the ones who live in middle class suburbia are neck deep in pure awesomeness, while the lower class SINers can still enjoy jingoistic entertainment designed to mold then into good little soldiers.

And the fun a Shadowrunner can have with this stuff should be just as boundless. A child's chemistry kid, a child's model rocket, few household cleaners, and a length of PVC pipe get you an inaccurate yet effective RPG. The uranium from kids atomic energy kits can be melted into armor piercing bullet cores, though you'd need so many kits that it would be more effective just to buy either the bullets or a few blocks of pure uranium on the black market. BBguns, modified to fire at unsafe muzzle velocities and loaded with unusually dense ammo, can do a number on small rodents, both allowing barrens squatters to hunt for some food and providing runners with an innocuous weapon of dubious effectiveness. And, most importantly, yet most stupidly, if you can't find a real gun you can fake it with a cap pistol you grabbed from an impulse-buy rack at the Stuffer Shack.

There are few limits to the products that can be brought to market in a world where the corporations have nothing to fear from the CPSC, and fewer limits on the toys that can be brought to market in such an environment, and even fewer limits on the insane uses that Shadowrunners could possibly find for those toys. The government thinks that terrorists can use children's model rockets to shoot down airplanes, which is why you need a license to buy them these days. Care to give it a try? It'll be fun, I promise.
Draco18s
I now wish I was a kid in the 50s. Uranium ore! IN THE MAIL! biggrin.gif
pbangarth
I was there (born in '53). I had that chemistry set. It was awesome.
Draco18s
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 14 2009, 02:12 AM) *
I was there (born in '53). I had that chemistry set. It was awesome.

Bastard. I wasn't born for another 32 years.
*Angry fish shake*
Er fist. Yeah. Angry fist shake. Though shaking fish angrily is fun too.
hobgoblin
i would say that bigger corps sont like risk, at least not the ones that can have a impact on their bottom line.
Tachi
Ah yes, hearkening back to the good ol' days before the government decided I needed to be protected from myself. God I hate 'Nanny State' society and the morons who made it possible (notice, I didn't say 'necessary'). There was a time when the kid who swallowed two many marbles didn't grow up to have moronic kids of his own. Unfortunately, medical science now saves the idiots, too, and the rest of us have to live by the rules written for them.

The modern desire to remove all reality from every child's life is, IMO, a great disservice to society and the children themselves. Hell, I call them 'little rubber people' for a reason.

I can only hope that by 2070 a child will be able to blow up the garage, jump off the roof, murder helpless little furry animals (my personal favorite during childhood), and generally raise hell, just like when I was a little boy. It'll be good for them. Seriously. Stop looking at me like that! I'm not crazy, you're the crazy one!
Rad
Well, at least Etch-a-Sketches are still filled with powdered aluminum.

Stock up, never know when some dumbass parent will get them banned. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Tachi @ Feb 14 2009, 11:11 AM) *
Ah yes, hearkening back to the good ol' days before the government decided I needed to be protected from myself. God I hate 'Nanny State' society and the morons who made it possible (notice, I didn't say 'necessary'). There was a time when the kid who swallowed two many marbles didn't grow up to have moronic kids of his own. Unfortunately, medical science now saves the idiots, too, and the rest of us have to live by the rules written for them.

The modern desire to remove all reality from every child's life is, IMO, a great disservice to society and the children themselves. Hell, I call them 'little rubber people' for a reason.

I can only hope that by 2070 a child will be able to blow up the garage, jump off the roof, murder helpless little furry animals (my personal favorite during childhood), and generally raise hell, just like when I was a little boy. It'll be good for them. Seriously. Stop looking at me like that! I'm not crazy, you're the crazy one!

im tempted to blame it on lawsuit happy ambulance chasing lawyers.

the insurance companies gets slapped around in court, tells their lobbyists to putt pressure on the legislators, and the ball starts rolling...
Tachi
I think the lawyers are just a symptom of a larger 'disease'. Instead of being responsible, raising your kids, and teaching them common sense (which was VERY common once, keep in mind the definition of common sense (in my 1953 Websters) is: The minimum amount of intelligence necessary to survive an average day), it's much easier to blame the people who made the product and forgot to remind you not to let your kid put the plastic bag over his face. Like... uh... DUH!

But hey, I grew up on a farm. If you lived or worked on a farm and had no common sense, you didn't survive long enough grow up, even in the 1980s.
Rad
I blame society. It's stated purpose is to allow the incompetent to survive, although they don't quite put it that way.
Tachi
While that might be a tad harsh given that there are many useful people who cannot survive without civilized society (like Stephen Hawking), you're mostly right that that seems to have become society's main concern. Shepherding the incompetent. I say, let 'em sink or swim based on their own abilities and usefulness. The seriously handicapped shouldn't be left to die, but neither should idiots be protected from themselves or released from the consequences of their actions. If nothing you do has any consequences, good or bad, then nothing you do has any meaning whatsoever.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Rad @ Feb 14 2009, 12:14 PM) *
I blame society. It's stated purpose is to allow the incompetent to survive, although they don't quite put it that way.

i dont have a problem with them surviving, the problem is breeding and getting into positions of power...
Tachi
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 14 2009, 04:36 AM) *
i dont have a problem with them surviving, the problem is breeding and getting into positions of power...

Hear, hear.
Browncoatone
Though I share the author's disdain for the sad state of political correctness, I disagree that corporations will be totally unfettered by government safety laws even in the distopian future of Shadowrun. In a world where you can slap on some electrodes and literally live someone else's life experiences, where would the need for a physical product of such dangerous potential come from? What kind of fun/learning can't be had with simsense and/or augmented reality games? And if you can plug yourself into a glorified TV and get the same thing, why bother with the risk and liability of a real chemistry set?

The reason that such dangerous toys were available in the mid 20th is that no adult had bothered to consider how they could be abused. America's youth taught them how and the adults over-reacted when they saw what their negligence had yielded.

The funny thing is that the youth of today continues to surprise and educate their elders by finding new ways to abuse emerging technologies in ways their designers never intended. Case in point: Youths in Australia, having been busted for speeding by a photo-radar van, managed to get a life-sized photograph of that van's license plate which they of course put over the license plates of their car and proceeded to race through the intersection monitored by that very same photo-radar van. About three weeks later the police received 17 speeding violations for their photo-radar van sent to them by...their photo-radar van.

Some American teens, not to be out done by their like-minded counterparts down-under, have begun to use photo-radar vans as a weapon. In revenge or spite, they'll acquire a life-sized photo of the target's license plate and then put it on a car the same color, some times even the same make, as the target's and go speeding past a radar van or purposely run a red light with a photo enforcement unit deployed.

Obviously this wasn't the intended function for which the technology was developed and deployed and the legislatures are beginning to react to the abuse with new laws.

Can you imagine what a teenager in 2070 would do with a patch of CleenTac ™, a lightstick, a blank RFID chip, a roll of fishing line, a dry erase marker and some Pepper Punch? Me neither, but I'm sure it's not what the designers intended!

GreyBrother
What's the purpose of the Cracking Skill Group? Exploiting a device to work not the way it was intended to work.

But i salute to Tachi. He reads my mind.
hobgoblin
as they say, the street finds its own use for tings.
Rad
QUOTE (Tachi @ Feb 14 2009, 03:36 AM) *
While that might be a tad harsh given that there are many useful people who cannot survive without civilized society (like Stephen Hawking), you're mostly right that that seems to have become society's main concern. Shepherding the incompetent. I say, let 'em sink or swim based on their own abilities and usefulness. The seriously handicapped shouldn't be left to die, but neither should idiots be protected from themselves or released from the consequences of their actions. If nothing you do has any consequences, good or bad, then nothing you do has any meaning whatsoever.

Explain how Stephen Hawking is useful? Quantum physics has effectively proven science and the quest for knowledge to be futile. biggrin.gif
Tachi
*Returns GreyBrother's salute*

@ Browncoatone

I can concede your point, in a way, but I don't necessarily agree. But, that's just probably because I was the kind of kid that fished with Grandpa's Dynamite, made 'apple bombs', constructed shuriken and other weapons out of scrap iron, rebuilt irrigation motors (under supervision, those things are expensive), drove tractor (without supervision, I'd already been driving two years), and wandered off with my own rifle in the afternoons to murder prairie dogs, at 8 years old. It's all about how the kid is trained by his parents (or in my case, Grandpa). I got beaten when I deserved it, and I got praise when I did things right without having to be told (if you have to be told then it is training and involves no personal initiative, i.e. requires no praise). If I ever have kids, I'll teach them the same way. Of course, my Grandpa was the type that can make you feel an inch tall with a look, or, make you feel like you saved the world with only two words. He was the kind of man that people respected instinctively, and that type make the best teachers. I haven't mastered that, yet.

QUOTE (Rad @ Feb 14 2009, 05:18 AM) *
Explain how Stephen Hawking is useful? Quantum physics has effectively proven science and the quest for knowledge to be futile. biggrin.gif

He makes me laugh when people do impersonations of him. That's more than enough for me.
(mechanical monotone)
Oh yeah baby, lick it there, yeah, yeah, like that you whore.
(/mechanical monotone) grinbig.gif
Plus, if you ever need someone to listen to your ideas, then come back a year later to tell you that though you were technically right, your rush to judgment compromised your results, and next time you should calm down and work on it for 10 years before publishing, he's definitely your man. wink.gif

Back on topic, I think hyzmarca is right on this one. The Corps are likely to revert to a (controlled) survival of the fittest policy among kids, and especially teens, in the hope of creating better, more competent/cutthroat executives. I would if I were them, after all, it's not like they have to answer to the government or even parents, except insofar as it affects their stock prices or consumer satisfaction (don't want them to quit buying our stuff after all).
Draco18s
Right, they're not going to make baby toys using lead paint to see who survives, but they'll certainly make toys that are dangerous if you don't follow the instructions and start doing shit willy nilly (say...hitting that uranium ore with a hammer).

Case and point, anyone see the article about the 49 year old man who accidentally shot the host at his neighbor's super bowl party? Cop left a gun on the table--loaded and safty off--and the guy picked it up.

Forty Nine years old and did stupid shit with a gun. Fine, he was drunk so he didn't take certain precautions ("is it loaded?") but still.
hobgoblin
i wonder what kind of cop leaves a loaded gun on a table...
Draco18s
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 14 2009, 12:39 PM) *

I have no idea. The article in the paper was all about the guy who got shot and the guy who did the shooting.
Browncoatone
Bear in mind two things with regards to safety standards:

#1 Just because the corporations enjoy extra-nationality on their property doesn't mean they don't have to obey the law (and hence, have legal liability) outside of their property.

#2 Major corporations may very well be forced to obey the law, but they also have a hand in making the law.

Case in point: the Daisy Outdoor Products corporation which manufactures virtually all domestically produced BB guns was instrumental in passing legislation requiring an orange or red barrel on all toy guns or replicas imported into the country. That means that when I purchased my fully automatic electric airsoft rifle from China (Japan doesn't sell them directly to the States) it came with a removable orange barrel tip installed and a free matte black barrel tip included. Why does Daisy give a damn about airsoft rifles so much that they spent time and money getting a law passed that required airsoft rifles to have orange barrels? Because it helps them retain their commanding position in the domestic BB gun market.

Don't you think that the megacorps of 2070 are going to use the same methods to maintain their market share against upstart companies that threaten their product lines?

This doesn't mean that society won't change and come back into the realm of commonsense when it comes to what toys can or cannot be sold, but I do think it wouldn't be as extreme as some imagine it could be.
Dumori
[rant]
This current climit annoys me. Gone are the days of harmless tinkering. FFS even rock climbing get looked down on i a sence of why risk your life, amuter pantechnicons are views as nigh on suicidal. I have an odd habit of designing weapons learning as much as i can all the physics behind my plans often they hit huge walls my rapid firing crossbow needed a strong flexible arm that would survive the rapid firing and as a physical test would likely but me in jail its not worth any monetary investment. My dabbling into electromagnetic weaponry again was dropped due the the climit of making a deadly item means you will use it to kill millions and odd idea give that gangs of 16 year old have got HMGs and to the best of my knowledge have not been raided. I sadens me that out of fear I have stoped exploring an area of science that interests me alot.
[/rant]
However in 2070 i can see some items that are controlled coming back in to favor only due to lacking concern over them when terrorist have used nukes and other powerful items. When the fear over a low grade bomb would drop. When guns are common place who would care about replicas? yes poor jimmy could get kill waving one about but who would really care. I can see many items being freely available via legall and common less than legal sources. Toys wise we know there are drone capable of robbery and murder that a kid can easily pick up they also rock at framing software updates and running bot nets. Tasers and knock out gas would be also easy to pick up at least more that today god i can see parents in the 2070's giving there kids these thing to protect them selves with downtown Seattle being hoem to more that one violent street gang.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 15 2009, 01:39 AM) *

I'd assume it was a Glock, which are safe to leave with a round in the chamber. As long as you don't pull the trigger, anyway... and if you are pulling the trigger, I'd assume you want to shoot something.
Tachi
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Feb 14 2009, 09:37 PM) *
I'd assume it was a Glock, which are safe to leave with a round in the chamber. As long as you don't pull the trigger, anyway... and if you are pulling the trigger, I'd assume you want to shoot something.

Agreed. I carry an M&P40 with a trigger safety only, fully loaded, all the time. It's fully the fault of the person who picked it up and pulled the trigger. I've never had an ND in the 24 years I've been shooting. Though the cop was an idiot for leaving it on the table.
Crusher Bob
And why bother giving you kids some whimpy air gun to kill ye local devil rats with when a slightly used AK-97 is available for basically the same price?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Feb 15 2009, 06:39 AM) *
And why bother giving you kids some whimpy air gun to kill ye local devil rats with when a slightly used AK-97 is available for basically the same price?

To teach marksmanship by encouraging them to make called shots to increase damage.
hobgoblin
or one can hunt birds with 88's wink.gif
The Neutronium Alchemist
Which has the advantage that when you collect your target it will be plucked, tenderised and cooked.
Draco18s
QUOTE (The Neutronium Alchemist @ Feb 15 2009, 09:40 AM) *
Which has the advantage that when you collect your target it will be plucked, tenderised and cooked.

Nono, that's what Dragonbreath rounds are for.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Browncoatone @ Feb 14 2009, 06:46 PM) *
#2 Major corporations may very well be forced to obey the law, but they also have a hand in making the law.

Case in point: the Daisy Outdoor Products corporation which manufactures virtually all domestically produced BB guns was instrumental in passing legislation requiring an orange or red barrel on all toy guns or replicas imported into the country. That means that when I purchased my fully automatic electric airsoft rifle from China (Japan doesn't sell them directly to the States) it came with a removable orange barrel tip installed and a free matte black barrel tip included. Why does Daisy give a damn about airsoft rifles so much that they spent time and money getting a law passed that required airsoft rifles to have orange barrels? Because it helps them retain their commanding position in the domestic BB gun market.

Something very funny and incredibly tragic, that I've just learned doing research on this. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, an 1100 page law that no one who passed it actually read, requires that all children's product manufacturers and importers in the USA test all of their products for lead using government-certified independent laboratories. It's a knee-jerk reaction to the Chinese lead toy scare a while back. And it's as stupid as it is devastating.
You see, the problem is that testing a toy for lead at an independent government-certified laboratory costs about $1500. That's a lot of money. Huge manufactures who churn at toys the tens of thousands at a time aren't going to suffer that much, because they only have to test one sample per batch. Smaller manufacturers, on the other hand, are going to be hurt. And the worst off are those manufacturers of customized and handmade toys. Since each of their items is unique, each has to be tested separately. Any hand-carved wooden toy being sold for less than $1500 is certain to be in violation of the law, which when into effect Feburary 10th, as are any small production run items that aren't absurdly expensive.

Another really funny part is thrift stores and second hand stores. You see, thirft stores don't have to test used items that they sell, but failing to do so opens them up to criminal liability if one of the items that they sell fails to comply with regulations. This essentially outlaws reselling of used children's products, simply because no second-hand store is going to take such a huge risk. And it damages public libraries and used book stores, as well, by making them liable for any children's books that they stock that haven't been tested for lead.

http://overlawyered.com/2009/01/cpsia-furo...comment-page-1/
http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/runni...mer_produc.html
http://heartkeepercommonroom.blogspot.com/...ecord-more.html
http://www.blogher.com/cpsia-impact-small-...e-tagging/cpsia

This law is the type that the megas would support. It puts all of their small competitors out of business, while their extra costs can be passed along to the consumers. How much more money will huge clothing manufacturers make now that poor parents can't buy used clothing for their children and are forced to spend full retail price? A great deal. The manufacturers don't make any money on sales of used items, after all, so this is pure win for them on that front. And less poor but more hippy-ish parents who like to buy pure natural handmade stuff for their kids are also now forced to go mass produced route, further increasing the market share of the major manufacturers.

Those sleazy greedy capitalists are smart. They get a law passed that destroys the vast majority of their competition, and they get the government to propagandize to make anyone who opposes the law seem like a sleazy greedy capitalist. It's ingenious. At this point, I'm of the opinion that the importation of lead-containing toys from China was not an accident or an oversight, but an intentional sacrifice on the part of the toy manufacturers to create enough public outrage to set this law into motion. It makes sense for a shadowrun, a megacorp sabotaging it's own products in order to get safety regulations that don't impact it significantly but which destroy it's non-mega competition.

ludomastro
QUOTE (Tachi @ Feb 14 2009, 04:05 AM) *
I think the lawyers are just a symptom of a larger 'disease'. Instead of being responsible, raising your kids, and teaching them common sense (which was VERY common once, keep in mind the definition of common sense (in my 1953 Websters) is: The minimum amount of intelligence necessary to survive an average day), it's much easier to blame the people who made the product and forgot to remind you not to let your kid put the plastic bag over his face. Like... uh... DUH!

But hey, I grew up on a farm. If you lived or worked on a farm and had no common sense, you didn't survive long enough grow up, even in the 1980s.

Hear, hear! I also grew up on a farm, disappeared for hours on end, fired weapons, built firework scale bombs (and burned my hands) and basically behaved like a kid. I only hope that I can give my kids as much of that as possible but with the ever helpful government string over my shoulder, we'll see.
Tiger Eyes
I grew up on a horse ranch. But I now have children of my own. And let me tell you, 4 year old boys try to kill themselves every single day. Oh, sure, they're cute and cuddly to start. Then they learn to crawl. And get fine motor skills to put small things in their mouths to choke on... like little tiny rocks in the lawn. Did you know that the entire outdoors is a giant choking hazard??? When is the government going to do something about all those rocks, and pinecones, and... things dogs leave behind??? Then they start to walk. Five minutes after they learn to walk, they start to run, and about 3 seconds later (or 1 combat turn), that is followed by running into the street. This is why they created leashes for toddlers. (Toddlers? That's a misnomer. They start at drunken-stumbling and move straight to 'runs faster than a grown adult') And then they do things like try to ride their bikes under a cross-tied horse. (I can only assume they don't ride their bikes under non-tied horses 'cause the horse moves faster than a bike-with-training wheels.) I'm not sure when common-sense develops, but I can tell you, it isn't by the age of 4.

Small children are dangers to themselves. I am continually amazed the human race survived past the first generation. And yes, my parents let me do things I'll never let my kids do... like let a 10 year old girl spend a day by herself in downtown Portland, wearing nothing but a swimsuit (so I could play in the fountains) and with a brown bag lunch. I'm pretty sure they told me not to talk to the bums sleeping in the parks... In fact, looking back on it, I'm pretty surprised I survived childhood. And I was a sensible child (if a sensible child gets on their horse, rides bareback out into BLM land, wearing no shoes and with no food/water, gets lost, and figures that horses can find their way home... at least once a week. On the bright side, my horse did learn to find his way home once it got dark.)...
Draco18s
Oh, small children yes. It's the 10+ year olds that should know better.
ravensmuse
hyz: There was a news report in my local area about that law. At least in Massachusetts they're allowing smaller businesses some flex time to figure out ways around the law. From what I understand, the law has enough loopholes that they should be able to get around it, but they're still petitioning the Mass state government hardcore to get changes and allowances for them. I thought it was just a Mass law though (which wouldn't surprise me).

You wanna hear funny? I live close to the New Hampshire border and almost everyone up here goes into NH to shop because they don't have state tax there. Our local governor is pissed about this, and he's trying to make NH businesses charge us Mass people more because we're not buying in the state and thus circumventing our sales tax. How are they going to know we're from Mass? How are they going to differentiate us from the NH folk? Who's going to be benefiting from this, really? It's greed plain and simple.

Tiger Eyes: sounds like you had one hell of a childhood.

We had one kid in my neighborhood that we used to call Danger Mouse, because he was a damn daredevil. He had a big wheel and he was always trying some new stunt with it. His favorite was riding them down steep hills - though I'll own up to having stolen one of those Playskool scooters and riding them down the very same hills when I was younger - and riding them under mailboxes. That kid got more injuries in a week than I think I ever did.

Then again, I was the kid who used to try to pull down trees in the woods with rope. And the very same kid who tried to go headfirst down a hill on a sled and ended up going right into a boulder..
BIG BAD BEESTE
Don't forget that kids are virtually indestructable due to the fact that they have no concept of their mortality. As soon as you acquire that you start to play it cautious, which then makes you realise the dangers and thus invoke them into happening. The thing is, you can't supervise your kids 24 hours a day non-stop. Blink and you'll miss the next new danger they're courting - them being quiet is the main warning sign. However, you can't shut them off from all possible dangers - if you try then they'll have no experiences of danger to draw upon to prevent worse things from happening when they're older.

Totally agree about legislation being over the top these days. Damn, but did I enjoy making bows and suchlike as a kid (didn't have access to guns here in the UK). Learnt a hell of a lot about the outdoors and farms and their dangers living in a village and because my parents took us out regularly on country excursions etc. Taught us the Green Cross and Country Codes as well as ensuring we could swim at an early age. Heh, almost gave my gran a heart-attack when I fell off a pier into the channel at 8.
Gawdzilla
QUOTE (Rad @ Feb 14 2009, 04:18 AM) *

I hope you're joking! Take a class in physical chemistry, and then tell me that quantum physics says that knowledge is futile.
Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics governing chemistry, nuclear physics, radioactive decay, and countless other phenomena that make everything from TVs to flash memory work.
nylanfs
Idiocracy with Luke Wilson, absolutely brilliant movie. smile.gif
Rad
QUOTE (Gawdzilla @ Feb 16 2009, 06:04 PM) *
I hope you're joking! Take a class in physical chemistry, and then tell me that quantum physics says that knowledge is futile.
Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics governing chemistry, nuclear physics, radioactive decay, and countless other phenomena that make everything from TVs to flash memory work.

I've studied physics for most of my life, quite intently. I own more physics textbooks than is strictly sane. I didn't claim that physics says knowledge is futile, I said it shows the quest for knowledge to be futile, because it is impossible to actually know anything--you can only guess or assume.

If you follow the theories and principles of quantum physics to their conclusion, it essentially states that reality does not exist. It's too much of a pain in the ass to go into, but there's a shortcut: The scientific method itself also infers that physics is pointless bullshit.

The core principle of scientific study is the collection empirical evidence, but observing this evidence requires senses that cannot be tested or verified adequately. Ultimately, all scientific "evidence" is reliant on faith in one's perceptions, which is a scientifically unsound basis.

Science destroys itself. It's a faith-based religion whose god is logic, that is built upon a logical fallacy.

Feel free to use denial to spare yourself the sanity loss, most physicists do. Personally, I find the abyss comforting. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
well i find the idea that something is testable, and repeatable, preferable to some book, or old man, claiming that "this is how it works, and thats that, mkay"...
Rad
Oh, I agree. Rather than having to trust your senses and the book/old man/book and the old man who wrote it, you only have to trust your senses. Then again, how many of us have personally performed all the experiments our current understanding of physics is based on?

We're still trusting old men and their books, until we repeat the experiment ourselves and understand the results--then we're just trusting our un-testable perceptions. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
sounds like its time to light that pipe, no? silly.gif
Rad
Nah, sleep deprivation is my mind-fragger of choice. That and good booze. Makes it easier to cope with a world that technically doesn't exist. biggrin.gif
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 14 2009, 12:36 PM) *

Giorgio Camminatore Cespuglio?
Oh come on, after all you've elected him just twice; just try to figure how deep in the dreck we Italians are:
We've elected Silvio (and screwed ourselves over doing so) for the tird time, viva la Banana Repubblic!!!!
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Rad @ Feb 21 2009, 02:21 PM) *
I've studied physics for most of my life, quite intently. I own more physics textbooks than is strictly sane. I didn't claim that physics says knowledge is futile, I said it shows the quest for knowledge to be futile, because it is impossible to actually know anything--you can only guess or assume.

If you follow the theories and principles of quantum physics to their conclusion, it essentially states that reality does not exist. It's too much of a pain in the ass to go into, but there's a shortcut: The scientific method itself also infers that physics is pointless bullshit.

The core principle of scientific study is the collection empirical evidence, but observing this evidence requires senses that cannot be tested or verified adequately. Ultimately, all scientific "evidence" is reliant on faith in one's perceptions, which is a scientifically unsound basis.

Science destroys itself. It's a faith-based religion whose god is logic, that is built upon a logical fallacy.

Feel free to use denial to spare yourself the sanity loss, most physicists do. Personally, I find the abyss comforting. biggrin.gif

You know, I had the dubious pleasure of knowing a man who hadn't even managed finished the elementary school and was proud of it, he said that he already knew all that was necessary to know and that the time spent reading was just wasted (I wonder if when he got employed he just signed the contract without reading, hell I wonder if he even knows how to write his name); he was so sure of his own "knowledge" that he refused to aknowledge anything that didn't conform his vision of the world, even if proved in his presence.
After having met a such living monument to ignorance it's heartwarming to know that there are people like you around. smile.gif
Rad
Warming people's hearts? That's a new one for me. Usually I seem to inspire an entirely different type of reaction...

...usually one involving pitchforks and nooses. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Feb 21 2009, 05:54 PM) *
Giorgio Camminatore Cespuglio?
Oh come on, after all you've elected him just twice; just try to figure how deep in the dreck we Italians are:
We've elected Silvio (and screwed ourselves over doing so) for the tird time, viva la Banana Repubblic!!!!

sorry, wrong contry. try norway wink.gif
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 21 2009, 06:22 PM) *
sorry, wrong contry. try norway wink.gif

Can I wait summer to try?
It looks like it's fragging cold in Norway right now.

P.S. I would take Norway's goverment over Berlusca in a heartbeat anyway.
Draco18s
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Feb 22 2009, 10:09 AM) *
Can I wait summer to try?
It looks like it's fragging cold in Norway right now.

It's always fragging cold in Norway. That's why all the Norwegian immigrants cluster around Minnesota.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 22 2009, 09:01 PM) *
It's always fragging cold in Norway. That's why all the Norwegian immigrants cluster around Minnesota.

Why? Wouldn't Hawaii be more attractive?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012