Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A couple of questions about technomancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Andinel
Can TMs get calls on their biological node? Is there any MSP that will give a commcode to a technomancer?

Also, can sprites thread Complex Forms since they have Resonance, or is that a TM only thing?
Jaid
technomancers don't use MSPs. or at least, they don't connect them to their living node, which is what i think you're asking... it would, however, certainly make sense for a technomancer to have an MSP attached to their (dummy) commlink for them to receive calls to. alternately, i think you can send stuff to an access ID, which technomancers *do* have (even if it is gibberish).

sprites cannot thread. that's a TM only thing.

Tiger Eyes
Free sprites can thread, if they learn the software skill. (p. 158, Unwired)
Andinel
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Feb 27 2009, 09:50 PM) *
Free sprites can thread, if they learn the software skill. (p. 158, Unwired)

Since free sprites (with a Software skill) only have a Matrix condition monitor, how do they handle fading caused from threading, then? The sprite itself isn't associated with a stream, and doesn't have mental attributes anyway. Or does a sprite's threading not cause fading at all?
attack
QUOTE (Andinel @ Mar 1 2009, 11:30 AM) *
Since free sprites (with a Software skill) only have a Matrix condition monitor, how do they handle fading caused from threading, then? The sprite itself isn't associated with a stream, and doesn't have mental attributes anyway. Or does a sprite's threading not cause fading at all?

I don't believe that sprites take fading damage.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 28 2009, 05:08 AM) *
technomancers don't use MSPs. or at least, they don't connect them to their living node, which is what i think you're asking... it would, however, certainly make sense for a technomancer to have an MSP attached to their (dummy) commlink for them to receive calls to. alternately, i think you can send stuff to an access ID, which technomancers *do* have (even if it is gibberish).

If you have an AID you can use an MSP. They reroute incoming calls to the AID you are currently connected to them with. Ergo, a Techno can use an MSP.

They do, however, have a far more static AID than most people, so the only real reason to use an MSP is a thin layer of indirection.

Calls are VoMP to your node, and MSPs just bounce that to your current AID. Technos duplicate all functions of a commlink biologically, so Technos can take calls.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Mar 1 2009, 07:13 PM) *
They do, however, have a far more static AID than most people, so the only real reason to use an MSP is a thin layer of indirection.

I think you mean non-static. Techno's automatically spoof an AID every time they log onto the Matrix. Which means they need to contact their MSP provider and give it the new AID.
Heath Robinson
I always assumed Technos were connected 24/7.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Mar 2 2009, 01:51 AM) *
I always assumed Technos were connected 24/7.

Bit dangerous to stay connected when you're sleeping (maybe that's just our group - we've had run-ins with Dissonents and that made my TM paranoid). Also, traveling thru a static or dead zone will mean you need to re-log on when you return to a wireless zone. Going in and out of a wi-fi inhibited building, ditto. Lots of reasons a techno would need to log on.
GreyBrother
Wasn't there that piece'o'fluff in Emergence about "virtuakinetics" just going "invisible" when they sleep?
Wesley Street
Yep, sort of. Page 30, Emergence.

During our research on Patient V, receptiveness changed depending on the subject's state of consciousness - i.e. when asleep the patient's [bioelectric] field activity diminished (BE level dropped to a state roughly equivalent to a wifi device operating in "hidden mode").

The "hidden mode" bioelectrical field prevented deeper scanning of the Technomancer's brain patterns.
Andinel
A couple more questions: does fading resistance count as a "matrix test" for the purposes of the +2 dice pool bonus from hot sim full VR? How about threading?
Dashifen
QUOTE (Andinel @ Mar 5 2009, 10:44 PM) *
A couple more questions: does fading resistance count as a "matrix test" for the purposes of the +2 dice pool bonus from hot sim full VR? How about threading?

Not in my opinion on both counts.
Tiger Eyes
I'd say Fading is not a Matrix test at all. However, threading a complex form is, in my opinion - if the TM is in VR (always hot sim), then they get the +2 to threading.
GreyBrother
I'd say "no" too (can't remember how we handle it in our group, tough), but one could argue that the unfiltered contact to the matrix helps resisting.
The Monk
Not wanting to start another thread to ask another Technomancer question...

If a technomancer slaves a node to his biological node, does that mean it is unhackable by normal hackers?

Heath Robinson
The procedure for hacking such a device is to spoof the Technomancer's AID as a Hacking + Spoof (2) test, then spoof commands to the device with Hacking + Spoof vs Pilot + Firewall (and most devices don't have Pilot). Such commands automatically gain Administrator access for free as a side effect of spoofing . This is why I consider slaving the worst possible option for security. Yes. this also works against devices slaved by normal people.

Also, remember to enforce the fact that Technomancers have fluid AIDs, meaning that they lose their slaves and subscriptions if they ever disconnect from the Matrix. At least have them make memory rolls to remember what devices they need to resubscribe/reslave.
The Monk
could she slave her teammates' commlinks to her biological node?
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (The Monk @ Mar 10 2009, 09:49 PM) *

Sure, but the commlinks lose all subscriptions (slaved nodes can't take subscriptions because they reject all connections from anyone but the master). Your team should also be concerned about giving other people full unmitigated control over their commlink.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (The Monk @ Mar 10 2009, 05:49 PM) *

Yes.

And yes, it does make the slaved items wirelessly unhackable for a normal hacker. Spoofing can work, but remember the hacker has modifiers in the Opposed Test for wanting to spoof a command that might take Security (-3) or Admin privilages (-6). And first the hacker must find the TM's access ID, which takes a bit of work. A TM can also encrypt the communications between herself and the devices, making spoofing even more difficult (since the hacker must then decrypt the communication before using it to trace back to the TM, and find the access ID). Finally, each spoofed command can only work for one command, does not return information to the hacker, and most intelligent security personel (or runners) have a list of actions that do not accept specific commands, like "unslave this commlink" or "add an admin account".

Slaving does not allow any other wireless connections to the device in question, but that can be gotten around by having the commlink skinlinked or physically wired to the teammate and their other gear (which would then also require skinlinking), like AR glasses. (In the game I play in, the one house-rule my GM uses is the Encryption optional rule, where TM's encryption is not breakable by normal hackers. This effectively makes this trick work in our game with no issues.)

Note that these tricks also work just fine for hackers.

hobgoblin
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Mar 10 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Such commands automatically gain Administrator access for free as a side effect of spoofing .

now where did that come from?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Mar 10 2009, 11:28 PM) *
Sure, but the commlinks lose all subscriptions (slaved nodes can't take subscriptions because they reject all connections from anyone but the master). Your team should also be concerned about giving other people full unmitigated control over their commlink.

hey, dont turn your back to the person packing the big guns...

at some point one have to trust someone...
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Mar 10 2009, 11:58 PM) *
Slaving does not allow any other wireless connections to the device in question, but that can be gotten around by having the commlink skinlinked

QUOTE (Page 55 @ Unwired)
When slaving a node to a master, the slaved node does not accept any Matrix connections from any other node but the master and instantly forwards any connection attempts to the master.

It's not just Wireless connections.

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 11 2009, 12:30 AM) *
now where did that come from?

QUOTE (Page 224 @ BBB)
If successful, the target drone or agent believes the orders came from its controlling persona.

QUOTE (Page 55 @ Unwired)
In this setup, the master is given full admin access to the slave.

Ergo, you get Admin access when spoofing the master. I admit it, though. I missed the modifiers in a completely different section of book. How could I have missed the clearly visible page references? In a ruleset that is laid out completely straight forwardly, too!

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 11 2009, 12:32 AM) *
hey, dont turn your back to the person packing the big guns...

at some point one have to trust someone...

Yes, by all means trust people. Give them full control of everything? Not a smart move. Locks keep honest men honest.
hobgoblin
and the US military from fixing their own nukes wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012