Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rules for Climbing along GlassWall
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BlackSmith
SR2 (IIRC) did have table for climbing along glass wall.
i cant find those climbing rules anymore.

so what would be the modifiers and TN for climbing a glasswall?
and what about if you have suctioncup in every hand, elbows, knees and feets?
Fresno Bob
It would probably be impossible without suckers, unless you're just rapelling down it, or something.
BlackSmith
yes, we also came to conclusion that without suckers it would have TN's like 24, but what about when you got them? 4?

we are fliping trough books and pages but can't find any rules.
so are we jsut blind or what?
Siege
Industrial strength suction cups to support a metahuman's weight and a minimal amount of tools?

-Siege
BlackSmith
what avail and price would they have then? 6/24?
and how much would one suction support? 25kg?
Fresno Bob
Why climb a glass wall when you can use a diamond glasscutter and walk through, then take the elevator or stairs?
RedmondLarry
The larger the suction cup, the greater the air pressure holding it against the glass and the greater the weight that can be held.

Here are some rated at 250 kg (550 lbs) per suction cup, they appear to have about 200 sq. inches of surface area and conform to the surface so it doesn't have to be glass-smooth. Link
Fresno Bob
Wait...my physics teacher had these weird lever operated suction cups that were so powerful, I could hang from the ceiling with two. And I think I weighed about 130 back then...and they were pretty small and weighed like nothing.
Zazen
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Why climb a glass wall when you can use a diamond glasscutter and walk through, then take the elevator or stairs?

My uncle (who owns a glass company and is a himself a glazier) always laughs when someone uses a glass cutter on TV. They make the scratch and... somehow the glass cuts itself magically.

The scratch is step one, then you have to apply force to the other side of the scratch to open a cut. Using glass cutters when you only have access to one side of the glass doesn't work. smile.gif
Lilt
Hmm. Instead of pushing from the other side: Wouldn't a sucker on the side the scratch was made on also work?
Fresno Bob
But...in the 2060s....

(You could figure where I'm going with that)
Lilt
QUOTE (Voorhees)
But...in the 2060s....

... They would have hot elf chicks?

Sorry: I'm dumb. Where were you going with that?
Fortune
QUOTE (Zazen)
Using glass cutters when you only have access to one side of the glass doesn't work.

I can tell you for a fact from first-hand experience that it does indeed work. As was stated, you just need some form of suction applied to the same side of the glass as you etch with the glass-cutter.
Siege
QUOTE (Lilt)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Jan 10 2004, 11:17 PM)
But...in the 2060s....

... They would have hot elf chicks?

Sorry: I'm dumb. Where were you going with that?

In 2060 they might be able to manufacture suction cups that could support a (meta)human's bodyweight.

I think.

-Siege
Zazen
QUOTE (Lilt)
Hmm. Instead of pushing from the other side: Wouldn't a sucker on the side the scratch was made on also work?

I asked him that and he said no. I don't know if it's because it won't have any effect, because the glass would shatter, or because of some other problem.

QUOTE (Voorhees)
But...in the 2060s....

Yeah, I know. Using an eye laser would be my choice just for the cool factor cyber.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Zazen @ Jan 11 2004, 10:11 AM)
Using glass cutters when you only have access to one side of the glass doesn't work.

I can tell you for a fact from first-hand experience that it does indeed work. As was stated, you just need some form of suction applied to the same side of the glass as you etch with the glass-cutter.

Maybe I'll bring this up with him again, then.
Fresno Bob
Man you guys are dense. Did you all fall off the 'Not Getting My Jokes Tree' that everyone seems to have taking a nosedive from?

In the 2060s, you could probably have something that would easily cut through glass, even if you only have access to one side. And yes, there would be hot elf chicks.
Fortune
QUOTE (Siege)
In 2060 they might be able to manufacture suction cups that could support a (meta)human's bodyweight.

One would think so, but then again one would also think they could make Cyber-magnets that could support the person in which they were implanted by then too. biggrin.gif
Fresno Bob
They already have magnets that can support a person. They're not that big either. Its all game balance.
Siege
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Siege @ Jan 11 2004, 10:25 AM)

One would think so, but then again one would also think they could make Cyber-magnets that could support the person in which they were implanted by then too. biggrin.gif

Check Cybertech for the cyberhand-magnet. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Fortune
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Jan 11 2004, 10:32 AM)
Its all game balance.

Just don't try balancing using those implants. wink.gif

Siege: To what do you think I was referring if it wasn't the cyber from Cybertechnology? Check their weight allowance.
Fresno Bob
Theres a hand magnet system in M&M...
Siege
I don't even remember the mechanic -- I just remember the color blurb about someone riding an AV out. :grin:

-Siege
Fortune
Which, if I recall correctly still will not really hold up the average shadowrunner. I never use them, so I may be mistaken, but I distinctly remember a few people bitching about it on more than one occasion.

Edit: Each Magnet system adds +4 to the users Strength for the purposes of clinging to metal objects. If they had left it at that, it would be fine. However, it goes on to state that each limb can hold only one system, and each limb system can support 25 kg on it's own, explaining that a person weighing 75 kg would need to implant 3 systems. In my experience, most people loaded with cyber (ie. those who would be interested in this relatively non-Essense-friendly ware) tend to weigh more than 100 kg.
Shadow
I have a thief who has two of them, their rated at 25kg each. So no, they won hold up a Shadowrunner if you just have two of them, but if you had hands and feet, then you could get 100kg wich is like a 180 pounds I think, so you could hold up a small runner.

Heres my guess on the TN.

Athletics test with a TN of 8 to climb the building. I would alos have them do a body test with a tn of 6 every four floors, why? Because they are climbing up a wall with only their arms and legs to support them, very hard.
Zazen
One kilogram is 2.2 pounds, so 100kg is 220 pounds.
Fortune
Which is still less that the average cybered human should weigh, let alone an orc or troll.
Zazen
Oh, absolutely. It's pretty lame.
Herald of Verjigorm
Simple, treat that 25kg per limb to be the amount of weight it can carry if you have no handhold at all. Thus, a person of less than 100kg with four such systems can climb a sheer ferrous wall, while anyone heavier would need to make some sort of handhold.
Fortune
One would think that the point of a magnetic system is to actually be able to stick to stuff. If someone is going to sacrifice 1.2 Essence in order to implant magnets, they should be able to hold that person.
BlackSmith
QUOTE (Shadow)
... Because they are climbing up a wall with only their arms and legs to support them, very hard.

well tell me, is there anyother way to climb up a wall?
because i have beeing climbing walls now about three years and i haven't figured any other way to climb but with my hands and feets...
with tongue then?

if you are using rope to climb up.. well thats no more wall climbing, its rope climbing /w maybe a wall support.
Frag-o Delux
Suction cups that could be slightly modified to climb if you want. They can even be battery powered for easy climbing. Check out the HC-S108D-AB, they can carry a lot of weight.
Lilt
Yes, I'd have no problem with using suction cups that can hold a runner's weight. I don't know exactly how much weight glass can hold however. OK: so bullet-proof glass would probably be OK but what about normal glass? Could it survice the forces involved when a suction cup supports 75kg or more?
BlackSmith
found the page and rules.
Shadow Companion, page 44.

no glass&suction cups rules, tough...
Crusher Bob
Assuming they are climbing the side of a sky scraper, I would assume that the glass can take their weight (unless they are a troll, or something). The glass windows on skyscrapers tend to be pretty tough stuff to stand up the hurricane winds and all. Not to mention, in SR they might have moved up to bullet-resistane polymer, which would be even tougher.
gknoy
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
In SR they might have moved up to bullet-resistane polymer, which would be even tougher.

Only if they don't want a guy on floor 27 of the building next door sniping their executive board . . . wink.gif (or, they could simply have given the janitors and peons the window offices ... unlikely. smile.gif)
Arethusa
A lot ofthings already use Lexan or other impact resistant plastics/polycarb resins for windows. Considering the world of SR is singificantly more unpleasant, it's rather likely that many floors if not the entire building will be using ballistic glass. That said, even with normal glass as we have now, it can easily support the weight of a human being, and scaled up to 2060s standards, any metahuman.

By the way, to those of you who think you'll be climbing this building with your hands and feet, I would like to know how you plan on operating these lever action suction cups with your toes. You do this with your hands and you just wear climbing shoes to keep your grip. And current cups can hold quite a bit; 25k each is just silly.
Fortune
QUOTE (Arethusa)
And current cups can hold quite a bit; 25k each is just silly.

The 25k is the limit per unit of the Shadowrun Cyber-Magnet system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012