Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grenade Damage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Thanos007
Bad guys have a SUV. Good guys manage to make a shot with a grenade launcher through the already shattered front window. The shot lands between the driver and passanger in the front seat. There are two more bad guys in the back seat. How much damage does everyone get?

I made my own ruling but want to see how everyone else would handle it.

Thanos
Siege
Silly question -- what kind of grenade was it?

-Siege
Herald of Verjigorm
Front seat each get full damage plus any rebound off the doors. Back seaters get full damage minus barrier rating of the front seats. If the back is a bench and the front are bucket seats, the spot in the middle of the back gets full force (maybe -1 from distance).
Thanos007
Silly question -- what kind of grenade was it?

Whoops!!! It was offensive. 10s.

Thanos
Kagetenshi
Assuming a non-gargantuan vehicle: guys in front seat: 10S, with 5 dice against TN 4 for staging, for a predicted 10D. Guys in rear seat: 9 or 8S depending on distance and exact location of grenade, staged with 4 dice against TN 4, for a predicted 9 or 8D.

~J

Edit: Oh yeah, I'd also need the armor of the SUV and the barrier rating of the seats to calculate salsa effect.
Diesel
Just freaking kill them.

I had a grenade land ON a player, and it being in the open, no salsa. But anyway, he had enough armor (7?) and body (8 ) that the damn thing staged to light. That ain't right, a grenade and you aren't supposed to buddy up, he's supposed to explode and you're supposed to motherfucking DIE. Grenades now hurt more in my games. biggrin.gif
GunnerJ
Just freaking kill them.

LOL. Diesel wins.
Diesel
What was your ruling, BTW?
Thanos007

Dead. Dead. Dead.

Thanos
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Thanos007)

Dead. Dead. Dead.

Thanos

That leaves one alive. biggrin.gif
Req
QUOTE (Diesel @ Jan 11 2004, 05:09 PM)
Just freaking kill them.

I had a grenade land ON a player, and it being in the open, no salsa.  But anyway, he had enough armor (7?) and body (8 ) that the damn thing staged to light.  That ain't right, a grenade and you aren't supposed to buddy up, he's supposed to explode and you're supposed to motherfucking DIE.  Grenades now hurt more in my games.  biggrin.gif

Best post ever. I think I have a new sig. smile.gif

Incidentally, I agree.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Thanos007 @ Jan 11 2004, 03:30 PM)
Good guys manage to make a shot with a grenade launcher through the already shattered front window.

Making a GM decision that everyone in the SUV died is simple and effective, and I would rule that way if the battle had already gone on long enough to satisfy the players lust for combat AND the outcome of the battle was not in doubt. However, for the sake of discussion, I'll run through my calculations, which I would certainly use if the PCs were the ones in the SUV.

Since the shooter just "managed" to make the shot with the grenade launcher, I'll assume by this you mean he had just 1 success in shooting through the narrow opening of the shattered front window. OK, the grenade bounces around inside the vehicle and you determine it comes to rest between the driver and front passenger.

First timing. If the grenade was launched on anything but the last Initiative Pass of the Combat Turn, one or more of the guys in the SUV may have an action to toss it out before it explodes, and all 4 guys will definitely have a movement available. SR3 p. 118 Timing Grenades.

If the grenade was launched on the last Initiative Pass, and all 4 took their action / movement already on that last Pass, and none took a Delayed Action, then none can toss it out or move.

Blast in a Confined Space (SR3 p. 119) is only used if the barriers (vehicle walls in this case) hold up against the blast. Depending upon the condition of the car, which I know already has a destroyed windshield, the "chunky salsa" effect might not be invoked. If the walls don't hold, the car doors fly off with the blast.

For the sake of discussion, I'll assume the car has sturdy armor and sturdy hinges and latches on the door so the blast rebounds from the sides but blows out the front windshield and rear window. Lets calculate power for the guy in the left front seat. I'll assume the car interior is 2m wide and the distance from the guy on the left to the left wall and back is 1m, and from the guy on the left to the right wall and back is 3m. Power 10 (primary blast) + 9 (left side 1st bounce) + 8 (right side 1st bounce) + 7 (left side 2nd) + 6 (right side 2nd) + 5 (left side 3rd) + 4 (right side 3rd) + 3 (left side 4th) + 2 (right side 4th) + 1 (left side 5th) = 55.

With these assumptions, its power is 55 for front left seat and 55 for front right seat. I'll wave my magic GM wand and say that the power levels for the rear seat, due to different bounce angles, is 48. I'll glare around the table and no one will challenge me on it.

The FAQ suggests target penalties for a Dodge Test when attempting to dodge grenades, and target penalties on the test due to obstacles or restricted terrain. But I would rule the guys can't dodge this one.

Front passengers resist 55S physical using Impact Armor, rear passengers resist 48S physical using Impact Armor. Lets assume no passenger rolls a success. We compare attacker successes (1) and passenger successes (0) and do not stage the Serious damage level of the grenade either up or down.

[These calculations assume the GM is not using the optional rule for Grenade/Explosives damage on the right side of p. 119.]
Hasaku
Unless you allow grenades to stage themselves, which I do.

edit: Bah. Should have read last line.
CoalHeart
I think you made a small mistake Ourteam.
you didn't remember that Each bounce of that chunky salsa is resisted seperately.

so it's Main blast
Bounce 1
Bounce 2 and so on
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (CoalHeart @ Jan 12 2004, 09:32 AM)
Each bounce of that chunky salsa is resisted separately.

Not true. See the Grenade Blast Diagram on p. 119 where it shows a bounce effect producing 20S. It's resisted once.
Xirces
QUOTE (OurTeam)
QUOTE (CoalHeart @ Jan 12 2004, 09:32 AM)
Each bounce of that chunky salsa is resisted seperately.

Not true. See the Grenade Blast Diagram on p. 119 where it shows a bounce effect producing 20S. It's resisted once.

which is what makes grenades worthless. it's impossible to kill someone with a grenade blast. Which is nice.
Kagetenshi
With five successes for staging. There's no point to using grenades without the optional staging rules.

~J
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Xirces)
it's impossible to kill someone with a grenade blast. Which is nice.

If you want to kill people with grenades, use the optional Grenade Damage rule on the right side of p. 119. This rule will cause more deaths than just deciding that grenades do 10D instead of 10S.
CoalHeart
Right what Xirces said.

20 S is only an S wound 6 boxes of damage. which even a body 1 mage quadraplegic albino elf with an infirm body and slow healing could survive.
Now 3 S wounds with varying power due bounce is much more potentially deadly, and potentially survivable except to said elf.
Kagetenshi
Yes, but the point is that in a tiny steel box even the 10/10 armored Ubertroll is going to get pulped by that 10S grenade. If he's just resisting 20 2S attacks, he'd have to get quite unlucky to take any damage at all.

~J
BitBasher
Right what Xirces said.

20 S is only an S wound 6 boxes of damage. which even a body 1 mage quadraplegic albino elf with an infirm body and slow healing could survive.
Now 3 S wounds with varying power due bounce is much more potentially deadly, and potentially survivable except to said elf.

Just use the optional rules for staging up grenades, they work great. that 20s is a 10s plus 10 dice at TN4 for staging up damage. Statistically that's gonna be in the area of a 20S +5 sucesses they have to eliminate first. They need 4 20's minus their impact armor to NOT take a deadly.

Grenade rules are just fine.

In my game we extended those staging rules to include other naturally staged instances of damage, like explosives and falling. Works great.
Xirces
I have to confess that I've never actually read that rule properly - for some reason it never made sense what it was supposed to do - but then since I've not played SR3 (ever) I've never needed it... Does seem to work though.
Thanos007
The pc didn't just manage it. He nailed it. 8 dice. 6 successes. I do use the alternate rules for stageing. 10S for an offensive grenade! Bah!

Thanos
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Thanos007)
He nailed it. 8 dice. 6 successes.
Not just dead. Closed-casket dead.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (BitBasher)
In my game we extended those staging rules to include other naturally staged instances of damage, like explosives [...]

The optional rules is named "Grenade/Explosives Damage", and all through the text it says "grenades/explosives" at every point as well as discussing both Demolitions and Throwing Weapons. And the example is about explosives too.

It has never occurred to me that some people might play the game without that particular rule. It makes perfect sense, and certainly makes grenades more deadly (perhaps not deadly enough even then, but certainly more so). 55S becomes an average of 55D+5, 20S becomes an average of 20D+1 and even 10S becomes an average of 10D. In a small enclosed space, the optional rule makes surviving grenades impossible for anyone except an extremely heavily armored troll.
Mensche
A grenade doing serious damage to a healthy target severely disfigures them. If they recieve the full blast, 6 boxes of damage, they're F*#@'d up. All it takes is someone to look at them the wrong way and they'll die (or another grenade.)

If someones already wounded, a grenade is a sure way to kill them (especially if they're in a confined space).

Staging grenades is a tad lame. There is no guarantee that someone has to die just because it's a grenade (for example, a parachuter has jumped out of a plane, the parachute doesnt work. He falls hundreds of metres, hits the ground, breaks alot of bones, but survives. Nothing is impossible.)
Lilt
QUOTE (OurTeam)
QUOTE (Thanos007)

Perhaps you could have the vehicle swerve off the road into a hole/ditch and be promptly buried by a landslide or Ares Asphalt auto-surfacer drone?
Kagetenshi
It is perfectly possible for ten dice to roll one or less dice over 4. Unlikely, yes, but possible, so it allows for exactly the sort of chance survival you speak of.

~J
Austere Emancipator
Not to mention that it's entirely possible to roll 2 10s on the Damage Resistance test, staging it back down to Serious.

Allowing grenades to stage up does not guarantee that they kill people. However, not allowing grenades to stage up does guarantee that they will never, ever kill a healthy target. And the Damage Codes we're discussing here are for someone standing less than 1 meter away from the grenade. Think about a light infantry land mine, plus a few dozen fragments through your body. Making that incapable of ever killing anyone who is in full health beforehand it just plain silly.

[Edit]Couldn't find any pictures on what a body looks like after being too close to a hand grenade going off. Found lots of pictures of land mine effects, but those aren't too relevant (without fragmentation, they "only" crush the legbones, throw a lot of flesh around, and cause 3rd degree burns on what flesh is left).

I suppose the US military is full of shit when they claim that their M67 Fragmentation Hand Grenade has a killing radius of 5 meters if hand grenades are never supposed to kill healthy targets?[/Edit]
Lilt
I personally play with the Grenade/Explosive Damage optional rule to stage-up damage but don't allow the attacker to stage-up with successes.

No-matter where you throw the grenade (unless it be into the target's mouth or other orifice) it's still just going to explode at the character's feet which would probably do the same damage regardless.
Austere Emancipator
The way the wording goes in the rule, I believe that's exactly how it's supposed to work -- ie if you use the optional rule, only the ½Power dice are used to stage up and not Throwing Weapons or Launch Weapons or whatever.
Arethusa
Yes, if you allow the explosive to stage itself up, the attack roll has no bearing on said staging, as it's meant to simulate chance placement and behavior of explosive materials. The only place you could make a strong argument for allowing the attack roll to be complimentary would be a LAW or something similar (specifically, placement of the shot on the target, aiming for weak armor points, etc).
Kagetenshi
Not that the attack roll isn't important, because it reduces scatter, which increases the power and thus complementary dice. (Well, ok, it technically means the power gets reduced by a smaller amount)

~J
Bölverk
QUOTE (Xirces)
which is what makes grenades worthless. it's impossible to kill someone with a grenade blast. Which is nice.

How so? Even using the standard rules, it's quite possible to kill someone with a grenade - you just have to get enough net successes on your attack to stage it to Deadly, just as with any weapon.

I think that the optional rule makes quite a lot more sense, granted, but arguing that it's impossible to kill with grenades under the standard rules (which is how I read your statement - correct me if I'm wrong) seems silly to me.
Austere Emancipator
It's still impossible for a grenade that it simply lying on the floor to kill anyone who is not seriously wounded before without the optional rule. Without the use of Demolitions (and I'm not sure if that would work either), you cannot set up hand grenades to explode in such a fashion as to be capable of killing stuff without that rule.

To kill people with a grenade, you'd have to throw or launch it at them. You wouldn't even have to hit them that way, you just need to get the grenade pretty close and you'll still do way more damage than if they were standing on top of one.
gknoy
QUOTE (OurTeam)
QUOTE (Thanos007)

"The new reddish-brown graffiti on the nearby buildings appears to be fresh ... wait a minute, THAT'S NOT PAINT!"

wink.gif
BitBasher
55S becomes an average of 55D+5, 20S becomes an average of 20D+1
erm... off a bit on the examples.

On a 55S blast you roll 27 dice for staging at TN4, getting 13 sucessses on average. That works out to a 55S+13. It's not fair to call it a 55D since staging happens after damage resistnace in this case and calling it a D isn't dair to the player resisting due to the way staging works...

On the 20S blast, you roll 10 dice at TN4 for staging, for an average of 5 sucesses, making it a 20S+5, 3 sucesses worse (or better, of you're the victim)than in your example.

Staging in this way works pretty damn well.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (BitBasher)
On a 55S blast you roll 27 dice for staging at TN4

This is one of the rules where you divide-by-two and round up. On a 55S blast you roll 28 dice. I don't know why they bother making this a round-up rule, its just one more thing to memorize.
Kagetenshi
Perhaps so a 3S explosion is a little more dangerous.

~J
Siege
Not to wander off on a tangent, but that's the one thing that always bugged me about SR:

A stray gunshot (for example) from a 12 year old has the potential to be every bit as fatal as a shot from a professional.

If I drop a grenade in a hallway, why the frag do I need to stage up the damage with "Throw"? Do I have to bounce it off his forehead to make an impression?

Granted, in either scenario, the skilled person is more likely to leave a lasting impression, but the base damage should be pretty respectable too.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
That's where you include "Bad Luck", a skill of a varying level that rolls for such strange shots and stages on whatever the GM feels like.

~J
Siege
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That's where you include "Bad Luck", a skill of a varying level that rolls for such strange shots and stages on whatever the GM feels like.

~J

Heh. I was thinking of converting a 9M heavy pistol to (6 + 1d6)M.

It would be amusing for an evening to shake up basic assumptions. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Lilt
Hmm. I wonder if you could implant a mini-grenade in the handle of a throwing knife?
Diesel
Hmm. Variable power. Realism or descent into D&Dism?

BTW "'The new reddish-brown graffiti on the nearby buildings appears to be fresh ... wait a minute, THAT'S NOT PAINT!'" is the best quote ever. This thread is full of freaking awesome sigs.
Fortune
QUOTE (Lilt)
I wonder if you could implant a mini-grenade in the handle of a throwing knife?

Most real 'throwing knives' don't have the type of handles (or hilts) that would facilitate this kind of thing.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (BitBasher)
On a 55S blast you roll 27 dice for staging at TN4, getting 13 sucessses on average. That works out to a 55S+13. It's not fair to call it a 55D since staging happens after damage resistnace in this case and calling it a D isn't dair to the player resisting due to the way staging works...

On the 20S blast, you roll 10 dice at TN4 for staging, for an average of 5 sucesses, making it a 20S+5, 3 sucesses worse (or better, of you're the victim)than in your example.

Assuming the enemy doesn't stage the damage down, 55S ends up being, on average, Deadly + 5 Over-Damage (thus 55D+5). With the same assumption, 20S ends up being Deadly + 1 Over-Damage (thus 20D+1). No mistake anywhere, just different format. (Except that which was shared by us both, ie that 55S in fact rolls 28 dice, for 55D+6 on average).

I always give the Damage Codes of explosives in that format, because that way they are easily comparable with other damage, like that from firearms. 20S+5 seems much more ambiguous to me, and I don't think I've ever seen a Damage Code written like that before (I spent a while thinking about what that meant). Is there a canon way to write down these kinds of Damage Codes?
Lilt
QUOTE (gknoy)
The new reddish-brown graffiti on the nearby buildings appears to be fresh ... wait a minute, THAT'S NOT PAINT!

I wonder if you could set-up stencils to get an actual pattern going? I can see a nasty gang for my next campaign forming... You do not want to get on the bad side of the "Toothless Ghouls" gang.
QUOTE (Fortune)
Most real 'throwing knives' don't have the type of handles (or hilts) that would facilitate this kind of thing.
True, but most real throwing knives are designed to be solid enough for use more than once. I could see some nasty barbed aerodynamic grenades, thrown using the thrown knife range table, being remarkably effective. You get 3 stages of damage: Knife impact damage, Grenade explosion damage, then knife-head-being-driven-through-some-poor-bugger damage

[edit]Has anyone noticed that the ranges for throwing knives and grenades are all screwed-up? For some odd reason you are far more effective throwing cue balls and base-balls as they have ranges over 3 times those of throwing knives and do the same damage[/edit]
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Lilt)
Knife impact damage, Grenade explosion damage, then knife-head-being-driven-through-some-poor-bugger damage

Just use an impact-detonated HEDP grenade. If you hit the target, s/he is now the proud owner of a brand new 1' diameter hole. If you miss, you still do extensive damage. If that doesn't kill him, you might as well start carrying around LAWs -- which, regardless of what the Cannon Companion might want you to believe, certainly do kill any humanoid they hit and detonate against, any form of body armor notwithstanding.
Kagetenshi
Throwing knives are fairly short-range weapons. Start throwing them at every target you can chuck the knife to, and most of the time you won't be hitting with the point. It's difficult enough to do at three meters.

~J
LoseAsDirected
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Throwing knives are fairly short-range weapons. Start throwing them at every target you can chuck the knife to, and most of the time you won't be hitting with the point. It's difficult enough to do at three meters.

~J

Too true... The problem is that the points are usually too dull to penetrate much, and the become even duller really fast.. My friend has a set of throwing knives, and they are very well balanced.. I can barely get it to stick in his wooden fence at 10 feet away.. And that's only IF I hit with the point, which is rare enough as it is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012