Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4A and the implanted commlink issue
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Angier
SR4A p. 338 states "Commlink: An implanted version of the commlink (p. 327), popular with hackers
and salarymen on the go. A Sim Module (modified for hot sim or not) may be implanted
at additional cost."

But what does that mean again? Does it refer to the implanted sim module? does it refer to a standard sim module included into the headcom package?

whats your opinion?
Malicant
Headcoms do not have sim modules. You have to pay extra cash and soul to get one.
Angier
That's what my confusion is based on. Why then this last sentence?
Malicant
Because first headcoms were assumed to have a sim module build into, so this sentence was supposed to clarify stuff. FYI first and third printing did not have that sentance. There was much rejoicing. And flame.
KCKitsune
I still think that if you're going to spend the extra cash for one, you should get an integrated sim module for free. It is 2100 nuyen.gif more expensive.
Angier
I know of this. My confusion now is based on the fact, that the sentence now is different from the one used in those older reprints indicating that it is not simply a remnant of these older versions.
Malicant
I'm pretty sure there is a law that demands rules to be made of at least 20% confusion.
knasser
QUOTE (Malicant @ Mar 14 2009, 09:34 PM) *
I'm pretty sure there is a law that demands rules to be made of at least 20% confusion.

Better make that 30% - datajacks. wink.gif

The word SIM module appears nowhere in their description but they're stated to be able to handle BTLs so presumably must have. Does that mean if you have a datajack with your Implanted commlink (or non-cyber one, actually), that you don't need a SIM module? The answer should be yes, but there's an Implantable SIM module in the same table which costs twice the Essence the datajack does.
Malicant
Stop it right there, young man! This is not topic we want to discuss in this humble thread! rotfl.gif

But seriously... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Datajacks!

I just wondered where the get all that confusion from. My guess? Latin America. Probably right from its shadows. nyahnyah.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Malicant @ Mar 14 2009, 11:07 PM) *
Stop it right there, young man! This is not topic we want to discuss in this humble thread! rotfl.gif

But seriously... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Datajacks!

I just wondered where the get all that confusion from. My guess? Latin America. Probably right from its shadows. nyahnyah.gif

Sorry. I wont add any more confusion...

...but I just wondered what you'd see with an implanted commlink that didn't have a SIM module? I mean you can use a regular commlink without a SIM module because it has a screen or an in-built trid projector. It can even have a dinky keyboard if you like.

But if an implanted commlink has a screen you certainly can't see it and how would you press the buttons without an AR interface? Do you bang your head against a wall to dial your mum? We know that an implanted commlink has a DNI because it costs you Essence. So how does it communicate without SIM? Do you hear a voice narrating your location in the Matrix with "You are in a twisty maze of SANs and RTGs. They are all alike." biggrin.gif

Okay, I did bring in a little more confusion, but it was none of that imported Latin American stuff. This was genuine manufactured in the United States of America confusion. I know because it has 'Made In Seattle" stamped on the back. wink.gif
Malicant
I just stopped bothering with this after the officials clarified this problem back in the day. Use AR goggles and external sim module for profit. Or something like that. Without further implants or devices the internal commlink is kinda completly retarded. That was my main argument back in the days of confusion why it needed to have a sim module. I was never the same after learning the TRUTH! wobble.gif
Angier
I seem to be still too sober to understand this. back 2 topic - the only sample character seemingly making use of this rule is the hacker. but he doesn't offer a solution as his essence is way less than it should be.
Malicant
Stay the hell away from the sample characters. They have bugs the size of sub-orbital jets. What exactly do you not understand at this point?
Angier
my question is - why the frakkin hell is this sentence evidently still there, redone, thus implying that there is more to it than "take the commlink, take the sim-module implant BOTH for the whole nine yards". It is a no brainer thus this sentence is needless. the only reason it wouldn't be needless would be that there IS the option to include the sim module into the implanted commlink package.
Malicant
Just ignore it. Pretend it's made of candy and pink ponies. I don't know. The rules are simple, you want a sim module for the comlink in your brain, you either implant 'ware, or use an external device. Just don't think too hard about it. It works and makes kinda sense. If it bothers you, house rule it. If that sentence is still giving you a hard time, scream at it from the top of your lungs, maybe it will shut up. twirl.gif
Angier
did it. wouldn't die. seems like I'm getting old.
Aaron
QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 14 2009, 06:39 PM) *
But if an implanted commlink has a screen you certainly can't see it and how would you press the buttons without an AR interface? Do you bang your head against a wall to dial your mum? We know that an implanted commlink has a DNI because it costs you Essence. So how does it communicate without SIM? Do you hear a voice narrating your location in the Matrix with "You are in a twisty maze of SANs and RTGs. They are all alike." biggrin.gif

I'm guessing one would use peripherals, like glasses with an image link and AR gloves, the same sort one would use with a non-implanted commlink. Also, you might just use the commlink interface like normal, if you got one implanted in a cyberarm; don't forget that an internal commlink can cost Essence or Capacity.
Synner
That is correct. A Sim Module is not necessary to operate a Commlink in AR; a number of external devices can be hooked up (via DNI, datajack, skinlink, etc) to allow both control and display of AR information.
Malicant
Although THE MAN has spoken, I cannot agree that skinlink connects to an implanted commlink without... well... something that connects your skin to the commlink. Maybe you should add a sentence that it's skinlink enabled, if that is the intention.
Angier
unwired adresses that.
Glyph
The internal commlink already runs on DNI; the skinlink is to connect the peripherals to it.

The sim module confusion arises because the sim module is available as a simple add-on accessory to a commlink, so why not the same for an implanted commlink? Also, none of the sample characters with implanted commlinks had a sim module listed separately - it was just a commlink, modified for hot sim. Yeah, yeah, I know the sample characters are messed up - but after umpteen erratas, it has not been changed, and both of them were done that way. So is it any wonder that people are still a little confused?
Malicant
QUOTE (Glyph @ Mar 15 2009, 02:17 AM) *
The internal commlink already runs on DNI; the skinlink is to connect the peripherals to it.
Right there is my problem and I know most of it is simply because I think about it. How does a signal transmitted via skinlink magically end up in your internal commlink, that has no connection what so ever to your skin? And the "urr... wireless signal?" answer would make skinlink moot to begin with. Oh boy, that brings back memories. Personally I simply pretend they are connceted to the skin, somehow. Nanowires could do the trick. Doesn't really matter, just a minor point that gave me major headaches.
kzt
It's better if they are not implanted. Then you can network a hot sim unit to them when you hack their commlink and then amuse yourself by feeding them hot sim signals they can't turn off.
Angier
as said before: unwired adresses it. the implanted commlink with skinlink enabled has a sort of induction pad right beneath the skin to catch any skinlink signals.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Malicant @ Mar 15 2009, 02:06 AM) *
Although THE MAN has spoken, I cannot agree that skinlink connects to an implanted commlink without... well... something that connects your skin to the commlink. Maybe you should add a sentence that it's skinlink enabled, if that is the intention.

Brain is a delicate thing and it doesn't take well having chips inserted inside so most of the comlink should be placed on the xternal surface of the skull, right below the skin making easy to skinlink it; yet I have to say that an implanted comlink that has to rely on external devices for it's output is plain retarded.
Malicant
QUOTE (Angier @ Mar 15 2009, 02:30 AM) *
as said before: unwired adresses it. the implanted commlink with skinlink enabled has a sort of induction pad right beneath the skin to catch any skinlink signals.
I have skimmed Unwired at best, but this puts me at easy a little. Minor issue, easily fixed.
Synner
The best way of looking at a Sim Module is that it's a plug-in accessory (and not an internal modification added to the commlink). which is why it requires implanting seperately and costs Essence in its own right.
Angier
thanks synner. at last an official solution.
Malicant
Which, incidentally is exactly what we have been telling here. But it is always nice to hear THE MAN confirming our delusions.
Angier
yeah. just got confused over this... aw, screw it. as long as I pretend it doesn't exist, everything is just fine.
crash2029
This reminds me of when I got my newest computer. It was a gift, and it has great specs that would allow all my games to run really well. Then I got it set up and found out none of my games would run on the machine designed to run them. The reason why? The computer came with a graphics card that could barely handle MS Paint.

Or like the time when I was a little kid I got this really cool remote-controlled car for Christmas, only to discover that the special battery pack that allowed it to run was not included.

Or when I was given my swell new inkjet printer that only had provision for USB connection and no USB cable was provided.

I mean it's like going to the car dealership and inking the papers on a new ride only to find out that you still have to separately buy the ignition keys.

GAAAAHHHHHHH!
kzt
"Oh, you wanted tires?"
KCKitsune
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Mar 14 2009, 09:36 PM) *
...SNIP... yet I have to say that an implanted comlink that has to rely on external devices for it's output is plain retarded.

Quoted for Truth™!

Come on... is it REALLY that game breaking for a cyber commlink to have a integrated SIM module?!? You are paying 2100 nuyen.gif more for what reason? I would think that for that amount of money that you get a SIM module. Or at least make it cheaper.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 15 2009, 03:05 AM) *
The best way of looking at a Sim Module is that it's a plug-in accessory (and not an internal modification added to the commlink). which is why it requires implanting seperately and costs Essence in its own right.

How about an optional rule for Unwired, allowing the implantation of the other modules?
Synner
That was on my short list for the next round of Unwired errata, I tried to focus on critical issues only the first time round.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Angier @ Mar 14 2009, 08:33 PM) *
I seem to be still too sober to understand this. back 2 topic - the only sample character seemingly making use of this rule is the hacker. but he doesn't offer a solution as his essence is way less than it should be.

Actually, the proofers did a great job combing over the sample characters. The hacker has the following ware:

Cyber - Ess

Cybereyes (Rating 2) - .3
Implanted Commlink - .2
Hot Sim Modified Sim Module - .2
Control Rig - .5
Datajack - .1
Datalock - .1

Total: 1.4 essence cyberware

Bioware - Ess

Enhanced Articulation - .3
Skin Pocket - .1
Sleep Regulator - .15

Total: .55 divided by 2 = .275

1.4 + .275 = 1.675

6 - 1.675 = 4.325

We chose to round to 4.32
Angier
Heck, the Hacker has a nice and friendly 4 not 4.32 in my PDF.
hermit
How about an optional rule for Unwired, allowing the implantation of the other modules?

That was on my short list for the next round of Unwired errata, I tried to focus on critical issues only the first time round.

Until then, would treating the sim module (cold) as a template for every implanted module work? As in, 2000 Nuyen, 0.2 Essence in additional cost?
Angier
less. look at the difference in price between an external sim module and an implanted. take it as a modifier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012