Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Healing Stun Damage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
evilgoattea
Is their anyway to heal stun damage other than resting? Slap Patch? Med Kit? Smelling Salts? I can't find anything in the rulebook that says so.

-Josh
Neraph
Shiatsu massage from Street Magic. There's an adept ability that allows it. Takes like 5 minutes per point of stun damage to be healed, IIRC.

EDIT: Regeneration as well.
Zurai
Or just a simple first aid check. SR4, page 242, first sentence under "Using First Aid":

Characters with the First Aid skill may immediately help reduce the trauma of wounds (Stun or Physical)...

Emphasis mine.
Muspellsheimr
Or a house-ruled Heal spell biggrin.gif
chic sheik
If you are looking to heal drain damage for a mage, you can always overcast spells so that you take a small amount of physical damage and then heal that damage with a regular heal spell. Depending on the situation, overcasting can be far more optimal than regular casting.
Muspellsheimr
No, you cannot. Damage from Drain cannot be healed by magical means, including such things as the Regeneration power.
chic sheik
Muspellsheimr, do you have a citation for the proposition that drain cannot be healed? I can't find any such language in the rules on drain or healing. Have I overlooked something obvious?
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (SR4 p.167)
Neither Stun nor
Physical damage resulting from Drain can be healed
by magical means such as sorcery or spirit powers.

QUOTE (SR4A p.178)
Neither Stun nor Physical damage resulting from Drain can be healed by magical means such
as sorcery or spirit powers.

QUOTE (SR4 Errata)
p. 167 Drain [4]
Add the following sentence to the end of the  final paragraph:
“Neither Stun nor Physical damage resulting from Drain
can be healed by magical means such as sorcery or spirit powers.�
chic sheik
Thanks. I should have checked the errata.
streetangelj
I always allow the Empathic Healing power to heal stun damage as well, otherwise it is ridiculously overpriced for something that requires so much time and (logically) a supporting special active or professional skill.
TBRMInsanity
I always liked in pre SR4 you could use stim patches to get rid of Drain damage. The down side was you had to do a Magic test after using the patch to see if you lose a point of Magic. I would play it one of two ways in SR4.

1. You can't heal any damage from Magic casting except over time (part of the cost of using magic).
2. Have a house rule for healing drain damage early but have some consequence for it. Like using a stim patch to get rid of stun damage but you have to do a magic test and if you fail you temporarly lose a point of Magic till such time that the drain damage would naturaly heal.
Mikado
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Mar 16 2009, 10:11 AM) *
I always liked in pre SR4 you could use stim patches to get rid of Drain damage. The down side was you had to do a Magic test after using the patch to see if you lose a point of Magic. I would play it one of two ways in SR4.

1. You can't heal any damage from Magic casting except over time (part of the cost of using magic).
2. Have a house rule for healing drain damage early but have some consequence for it. Like using a stim patch to get rid of stun damage but you have to do a magic test and if you fail you temporarly lose a point of Magic till such time that the drain damage would naturaly heal.

You can still use stim patches to "heal" drain. You can also use mundane meens to heal drain (both physical and stun) as in using firstaid.
The Jake
To be clear, you still can't use Empathic Healing to remove Stun damage incurred by spellcasting.

- J.
pbangarth
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 18 2009, 12:09 AM) *
To be clear, you still can't use Empathic Healing to remove Stun damage incurred by spellcasting.

- J.

The problem with this Power is the name. It doesn't heal anything. It just transfers damage from one character to another. Is that really healing?
Falconer
You could always research your own version of the heal spell w/ slightly increased drain which could heal physical or stun damage.
Or a version w/ reduced drain which could only heal stun damage.

Not that either would help recover magical drain.

The only 'magical' way I can think of to increase healing of drain... 'increase body'... more body dice == faster natural healing. Of course it has to be sustained (probably w/ a focus) or quickened for it to have much use in that aspect. Shapechange might work as well (shapechange into an 'average' troll w/ +1 dice per net hit on the shapechange... though that's a lot more drain).

Kev
QUOTE (Falconer @ Mar 18 2009, 07:46 PM) *
You could always research your own version of the heal spell w/ slightly increased drain which could heal physical or stun damage.

The only 'magical' way I can think of to increase healing of drain... 'increase body'... more body dice == faster natural healing. Of course it has to be sustained (probably w/ a focus) or quickened for it to have much use in that aspect. Shapechange might work as well (shapechange into an 'average' troll w/ +1 dice per net hit on the shapechange... though that's a lot more drain).

At that point, you should just slap a Sustaining Foci on yourself (or just sustain au naturale) with Improved Attribute: Willpower on it. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Falconer @ Mar 18 2009, 05:46 PM) *

What, the -2 all penalty for sustaining an Increased body/Willpower or the -2 penalty for sustaining a (Troll) Form spell? And it would have to be the (Critter) Form spell, not Shapechange.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012