Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sustaining spells and wards/astral barriers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bai Shen
I have an initiated mage who uses a sustained Mask spell as a constant disguise. The initation allows the spell to be concealed on the astral. The mage uses a sustaining focus most of the time.

What I'm trying to figure out is what would happen when the mage attempted to pass through a ward or astral barrier? Does sustaining the spell personally instead of using a focus matter? Does the masking make a difference?

TIA.
Draco18s
Foci may not pass through mana barriers unless turned off.
Bai Shen
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 24 2009, 07:19 PM) *
Foci may not pass through mana barriers unless turned off.

Even when masked?

What about if the mage is sustaining the spell without a focus? Can that pass through? Or would the mage have to drop the spell to pass through the barrier?
JaronK
As I understand it, anything magically active (including active focii, perceiving mages, and sustained spells) will be blocked as it tries to pass through a mana barrier of any kind.

JaronK
Dakka Dakka
With (extended) masking you could also assense the creator of the ward/barrier and make yourself look like him. Then you could just pass through the ward.
Pendaric
SR3
Bai Shen
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 25 2009, 01:47 AM) *
With (extended) masking you could also assense the creator of the ward/barrier and make yourself look like him. Then you could just pass through the ward.

That takes too long. I'm looking for a simple solution to having a magical disguise up and not having to drop it when going through an astral barrier.

QUOTE (Pendaric @ Mar 25 2009, 08:55 AM) *
SR3

Huh? If you're referring to the above post, there was something similiar in SR3. But it took too long.
raggedhalo
Without Extended Masking, foci aren't included at all in Masking. In that circumstance, either the focus is switched off or the ward breaks.

Why not just get your mage to buy a nanopaste disguise?
Pendaric
Huh? If you're referring to the above post, there was something similiar in SR3. But it took too long.

You put a SR3 tag on the thread. So SR4 answers would be unuseful. Unless of course you actually meant SR4.

Sorry no way of getting a active spell through a active ward you did not create.

It is open to interpretation if Masking SR3 or extended masking in SR4 would allow a sustained spell through a ward as sinc'ing your aura with the ward is really for active foci and astral projection.
Bai Shen
QUOTE (raggedhalo @ Mar 25 2009, 10:12 AM) *
Without Extended Masking, foci aren't included at all in Masking. In that circumstance, either the focus is switched off or the ward breaks.

Why not just get your mage to buy a nanopaste disguise?

Umm, 'cause there isn't a nanopaste disguise in SR3? And I prefer to stay away from the nanotech stuff.

QUOTE (Pendaric @ Mar 25 2009, 10:23 AM) *
You put a SR3 tag on the thread. So SR4 answers would be unuseful. Unless of course you actually meant SR4.

Sorry no way of getting a active spell through a active ward you did not create.

It is open to interpretation if Masking SR3 or extended masking in SR4 would allow a sustained spell through a ward as sinc'ing your aura with the ward is really for active foci and astral projection.

No, I meant SR3. It was just that that's all you posted, so I wasn't sure.

I'm thinking this concept may need to go back to the drawing board. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012