Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoking in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Stahlseele
John Constantine?
CanRay
Nah, he'd take a streetname like "Armitage", because all he knows about Shadowrunning getting into the business is from what he's seen on the Trid.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Apr 1 2009, 03:49 AM) *
Then I thought about it -- how common would smoking be in Shadowrun?

That depends. Seattle? Many people do. Singapore? Not so many.....

The Laes and Scent Masking cigarettes are there for a reason.
Snow_Fox
There is enough pics in the books of smokes that it is obviously common. probably in more blue collar areas, mid level corpers , no, it is improper/low class then at upper levels it sneaks back in a a sin. I don't smoke in RL and my characters never smoke but I usually have a lighter on me.

The film noir element also wants that smoke, the glow in the darkness, the smoky clubs etc but I would think the smell would be an issue for prime runners. Most smokers don't realize how the smell clings to their clothes. sneaking in on a first class target, that stale smell might be enough to tip off the guards.

At the end of the book From Russia with Love it was just that which let Bond know he had the right target. He walked into the other side's rendez vous and was afraid he'd walked into the wrong room, because he see's a clean tidy room with an autocratic old lady. then he relaizes her lip and fingers are stained with nicotine but there are no ash trays and no smell of smoke in the room.
Tashiro
Hmm. I guess it also depends on what kind of feel you're going for. I'm aiming for more of a 'Minority Report' world, and less of the Film Noir feel. When you hit a certain level of society, everything's been sanitized to the point of near-sterilization.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012