Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Viva La Revolucion: the New Revolutionaries
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Zombayz
Ok, time for my first PbP game that I've run. Recruitment is open for two or three players.

The basic idea. Barrens punks, the low of the low, want to make a change, and realize even if they all get SINs, a vote doesn't make a damn difference. Inspired by the Black Blocks and Situationists of old, they decide it's time to take a stand.

Points will be that of average people(Approx. 250), and max cash/availibility will likely be 15000/4F(exceptions given in almost any case where it's valid). Going to feature a lot of guerilla warfare, so having food, ammo, and some gear at the start will probably be pretty important.

This was inspired by way too much beer, jam sessions, Rise Against, and a copy of Che Guevera's journal from his time in Bolivia(all but the last 2 weeks).

PLAYER SLOTS:

Kurt Travis- Crazy Guerilla
Deze- El Medico
Digital Heroin- Hacktivist
Crizh- MacGuyver the TATP Master(TATP being TetraAcetone TetraPeroxide)
crazyconscript- Bikerman 2071
Dumori- FSS(Free Spirit Support)

RESERVES:
Mickle5125
Zaranthan- WAAAAGH

Build Rules:

Approx 250 BP (I'm open to slightly more, given your backstory/character type justifies it)
Max Availibility is 4F(Once again, it is fully allowed to go higher, just check it with me first)
Any book, but Mundane characters are adivsed
15K cash(3 BP) is max(That's a hardcap: I'll give a little bit of flexibility if it's crucial to the character, so say, 2- or 3- thousand nuyen at most))
120(approximately a 3 in each stat, so average person stats) is the max to go into stats(as always, flexible)

Edit: I'll stat up any specific weapon if they are requested, though I'd ask to keep it on the low/cheap side(so things like SKSs, SVT-40s, Garands, 1911s, whatever)
Zombayz
[Flavour]

It's 2071, and voting is more pointless than ever. No matter what, the poor get poorer, the rich get richer, and the little man keeps on getting stepped on.

Not any fraggin more.

You and your intrepid band of punks, misfits, and rebels have decided to say fuck it, and stick it to the Megas. You're not gonna be pushed down anymore, you're not gonna sit idly by while thousands are killed in the name of profit, while millions starve so the First World can consume what little is left of the planet.

By Black Flag and Molotov, the underclass will rise up.

Starting with You.

[/Flavour]
Digital Heroin
As bad as I've been in the past, operational tempo at sea's given me more time than ever now to be online, and I've finally finagled my PDFs onto the network. The tone's decidedly anarchistic here, and I like it. I'm thinking a tagger turned activist, basically a mouthpiece who's got mild hacking skills so he can vandalize AR ads and such, and who's got a whole lot of misplaced anger.

That is, if you'll have me.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Apr 12 2009, 11:41 AM) *
As bad as I've been in the past, operational tempo at sea's given me more time than ever now to be online, and I've finally finagled my PDFs onto the network. The tone's decidedly anarchistic here, and I like it. I'm thinking a tagger turned activist, basically a mouthpiece who's got mild hacking skills so he can vandalize AR ads and such, and who's got a whole lot of misplaced anger.

That is, if you'll have me.

Of course I'll have ya DH. And if you're wanting some nice anarchist rhetoric/propaganda/truth, I'll hook you up with that too.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Zombayz @ Apr 12 2009, 07:00 PM) *
Of course I'll have ya DH. And if you're wanting some nice anarchist rhetoric/propaganda/truth, I'll hook you up with that too.

Oh I've got a head full of resources for propaganda, and a messload of anti-government conspiracy to go along with it. A lot of what this guy's going to be spouting is going to be purely bulldrek, mind you, drawn from snippets of pop-culture addled rhetoric ranging from Martin Luther King to Stalin. He's gonna be all over the map, and never quite consistent. And I'm tempted, oh so tempted, to make him an accent shifting nutter, too... used to do that with Berk, a street thug. Berk'd change accents inside of the same sentance and cofuse the hell out of people.

I'm going to get number crunching, see what comes of it.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Apr 12 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Oh I've got a head full of resources for propaganda, and a messload of anti-government conspiracy to go along with it. A lot of what this guy's going to be spouting is going to be purely bulldrek, mind you, drawn from snippets of pop-culture addled rhetoric ranging from Martin Luther King to Stalin. He's gonna be all over the map, and never quite consistent. And I'm tempted, oh so tempted, to make him an accent shifting nutter, too... used to do that with Berk, a street thug. Berk'd change accents inside of the same sentance and cofuse the hell out of people.

I'm going to get number crunching, see what comes of it.

Sounds good. I anxiously await the aformentioned numbers.
crizh
I've never tried a low bp campaign before but I'd be interested in giving it a try. Some sort of home-brew explosives MacGuyver type would be my first inclination. Might take me a few days to throw something together, still on holiday in Paris and won't get home till Wednesday.
Zombayz
QUOTE (crizh @ Apr 12 2009, 01:05 PM) *
I've never tried a low bp campaign before but I'd be interested in giving it a try. Some sort of home-brew explosives MacGuyver type would be my first inclination. Might take me a few days to throw something together, still on holiday in Paris and won't get home till Wednesday.

Sounds good. As always, I have a resource for everything, including things that go 'boom', in case you want said resources.
Mickle5125
Place me on the reserves list. At the moment, I find myself without enough time to participate properly in your game, but it does sound interesting to me.
Kurt Travis
One of the reserved IRL guys here. I'll likely play some sort of AK toting bearded woodsman with delusions of revolutionary grandeur, I'll see how it turns out after doing all the math and such.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Kurt Travis @ Apr 12 2009, 02:12 PM) *
One of the reserved IRL guys here. I'll likely play some sort of AK toting bearded woodsman with delusions of revolutionary grandeur, I'll see how it turns out after doing all the math and such.

Hey Kurt, good to see ya. I'll add ya in right now.

QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Apr 12 2009, 02:12 PM) *
Place me on the reserves list. At the moment, I find myself without enough time to participate properly in your game, but it does sound interesting to me.

Throwing you on the reserves then Mickle.
Dumori
I'm interested but I have an idea for a free spirit however I would need some more BP to have more than 35bp for all my skills. I'm wanting to play for the RP so I'll see what I can make with 35BP to spend but some more would be nice.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Dumori @ Apr 12 2009, 02:34 PM) *
I'm interested but I have an idea for a free spirit however I would need some more BP to have more than 35bp for all my skills. I'm wanting to play for the RP so I'll see what I can make with 35BP to spend but some more would be nice.

We'll see what you come up with, and if it looks like it could survive, then you'll be in.
Dumori
Here is my first build. Spells can be changed a bit.
Free spirit PC
250BP for race
Manifestation. Norse
Body: 2
Agility: 2
Reaction: 2
Strength: 2
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 2
Logic: 2
Willpower: 2
Force: 2
Edge: 2

Spirit powers 2sp
Guard 0.5
Arccident 0.5
Friendship pact 1 (as long as it can be broken at a later date makes no RP sense otherwise)
Life pact free

Qualities
Uneducated -20
Oblivious -5
Evil Twin -10

Skills
Spellcasting 2
Influence (Group) 1
Assensing 1
Perception 1

Spells
Stunbolt (Direct) (F÷2)-1
Lightning Bolt (Indirect, Elem.) (F÷2)+3
Influence (Mental) (F÷2)+1

Still working on a background but I have some ideas withc migh change a few of my qualities.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Dumori @ Apr 12 2009, 03:35 PM) *
Here is my first build. Spells can be changed a bit.

Still working on a background but I have some ideas withc migh change a few of my qualities.

Looks good, but are you sure you could survive? That's the million nuyen question.

Edit: Nevermind, you're in. Although this is gonna give me one more person then I expected, I should be able to deal with it. Also, crazyconscript was communicating with me through PM about his character, and submitted it a few minutes ago: He's in too.
Deze
One of the IRL life guys here. I'm thinking a doctor and he did a good job and helped people, till crash 2.0 happened, he lost everything his job, his family left him and his SIN is gone.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Deze @ Apr 12 2009, 04:13 PM) *
One of the IRL life guys here. I'm thinking a doctor and he did a good job and helped people, till crash 2.0 happened, he lost everything his job, his family left him and his SIN is gone.

Hey Deze. Good to know ya finally decided to show up.

We'll get everyone's builds posted, finalize anything else, and then I'll post the IC and OOC threads. That sound good to all of you?
Zaranthan
I'll take another reserve slot, if you've got one.
crazyconscript
Time to have some fun smile.gif
Zombayz
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Apr 12 2009, 07:34 PM) *
I'll take another reserve slot, if you've got one.

Ok, not a problem.
Zombayz
Sorry for the double post, but I'd like to ask how everyone's characters are coming, and whether or not the have a rough sheet to post.
Digital Heroin
I'll have a sheet done up today, and hopefully the background to go with it. This guy's shaping up to be a well known (locally) activist who's taking a more radical turn upon his very recent release from prison. Hacker, with a bit of violent protester, and a bit of Face thrown in.
crizh
I've just this minute got back online after a 30 hour drive home from Paris. Give me until tomorrow and I'll have some bare bones pieced together.

I just had a genius idea about a chemical gland but it might be the sleep dep' talking....
Kurt Travis
I'm mostly done with my sheet, just putting some finishing touches on it and double checking my crappy math skills. I should have something up later tonight.
Zombayz
Sounds good guys. I hope you're looking forward to this as much as me.
Digital Heroin
So, I'm down the nitty gritty here... two questions... are you opposed to a guy having a pretty damn up there hacker contact (like, oh Slamm-O... I mean Mr. Molotov might not be the best hacker out there, but he's a clebrity of sorts)... and what'd be the connection you reckon for the Anarchist Black Cross, even a local chapter or somesuch? I've saved some shiny BPs just for them.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Apr 15 2009, 07:34 AM) *
So, I'm down the nitty gritty here... two questions... are you opposed to a guy having a pretty damn up there hacker contact (like, oh Slamm-O... I mean Mr. Molotov might not be the best hacker out there, but he's a clebrity of sorts)... and what'd be the connection you reckon for the Anarchist Black Cross, even a local chapter or somesuch? I've saved some shiny BPs just for them.

I'm not opposed to the hacker contact at all, and I'd make the connection for the Black Cross a 3 or 4, depending on whether it's a local chapter or an area chapter. Good thing to save BPs for anyways.
crizh
I suppose I should double check the way I'm approaching this build. What I have so far is using Restricted Gear to pick up some necessary stuff like a Chemistry shop and a set of Skillwires to cover the B&R skills I can't afford the BP's for.

Is it OK to use Restricted Gear? What about In Debt? I was thinking of being in debt to the Mob or the Triads and servicing said debt with the produce of the Chemistry Shop.
Octopiii
I actually had a character built for a similar campaign (slightly more bp), and I would love to get a chance to use him.

[ Spoiler ]

Well, late to the party as usual. Go ahead and put me in the reserves. I'll throw up a background if I get in, but the guy makes a living as a Street Busker/Con Artist/Pickpocket in the more upscale areas and spend his nights talking revolution.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Zombayz @ Apr 15 2009, 05:50 PM) *
I'm not opposed to the hacker contact at all, and I'd make the connection for the Black Cross a 3 or 4, depending on whether it's a local chapter or an area chapter. Good thing to save BPs for anyways.

Sweet... *ponders* I'd think Area chapter... I'm going to purchase it at loyalty 4 or so, so he's a member in good standing, kind of a cult of personality amongst the younger set there. I'm just about done, should be posting him up in a few moments.
Digital Heroin
I present to you Johnny "Molotov Motti" Sandheim:

[ Spoiler ]

His Gear:

[ Spoiler ]

And his backstory:

[ Spoiler ]

Still rough.... questions, comments, concerns and death threats welcome. Oh, and the contacts will soon be fleshed out.
Zombayz
QUOTE (crizh @ Apr 15 2009, 10:37 AM) *
I suppose I should double check the way I'm approaching this build. What I have so far is using Restricted Gear to pick up some necessary stuff like a Chemistry shop and a set of Skillwires to cover the B&R skills I can't afford the BP's for.

Is it OK to use Restricted Gear? What about In Debt? I was thinking of being in debt to the Mob or the Triads and servicing said debt with the produce of the Chemistry Shop.

Restricted gear is a no-go, but depending on the character I might let you have stuff of a higher availibility. In Debt is fine, but keep in mind your total cash has a hardcap of 15K.

Character is looking damned nice Digital Heroin, and your backstory is awesome.
crizh
I think I'll have to totally rethink this character then.

With a hard-cap of 15k even with In Debt it's going to be nearly impossible to afford the Chemistry Set I had in mind. I've already spent about 20k on a Chemistry Shop and raw materials.

Similarly the Skillwires would have to go by the wayside.

The plan was to be making Novacoke/Zero speedballs for a Triad group that has financed his shop and was persuaded to invest in a set of Skillwires for him so he could branch out into other interesting areas like mod'ing guns and vehicles.

Even if you could be persuaded to allow Cyber with an Availability of 16 I can't afford it without the extra 30k from In Debt.

So far I've budgeted for three things over the Availability Cap. A Chemistry Shop [8], a set of Skillwires [16] and an Ares Low intensity Laser [7] to burn trace chemicals off the drugs once they've been vacuum sealed.
crizh
Here, I'll post what I've got so far to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

Flashbang - Viva la revolution

[ Spoiler ]
Zombayz
QUOTE (crizh @ Apr 15 2009, 03:22 PM) *
I think I'll have to totally rethink this character then.

With a hard-cap of 15k even with In Debt it's going to be nearly impossible to afford the Chemistry Set I had in mind. I've already spent about 20k on a Chemistry Shop and raw materials.

Similarly the Skillwires would have to go by the wayside.

The plan was to be making Novacoke/Zero speedballs for a Triad group that has financed his shop and was persuaded to invest in a set of Skillwires for him so he could branch out into other interesting areas like mod'ing guns and vehicles.

Even if you could be persuaded to allow Cyber with an Availability of 16 I can't afford it without the extra 30k from In Debt.

So far I've budgeted for three things over the Availability Cap. A Chemistry Shop [8], a set of Skillwires [16] and an Ares Low intensity Laser [7] to burn trace chemicals off the drugs once they've been vacuum sealed.

Mother of Odin dude.

The chem shop I've got no problem with, but the skillwires would have to go down some, and the low intensity laser has a higher chance of vaporizing/burning the product than just burning off the slag, which instantly becomes suicidal the instant you deal with a heat-senesitive primary explosive(so about 89% of Primary explosives, and a few Secondary explosives too, with the detonation of most of the other nearby explosives just for good measure).

And I think you misunderstand hardcap: Hardcap=maximum. Not maximum plus whatever you can manage to add on. Just pure and raw maximum, unless there's a good reason to go over, and even then it's only variable by 2 or 3 thousand nuyen at most. Sorry about that, I'll clarify it in my first post.

Aside from that, you're looking kickass like everyone else.
crizh
I think I might be able to trim things a bit. Particularly if I just drop the skillwires.

The Low intensity Laser is designed specifically for cleaning Vacuum Sealed explosives, it's in RC on page 35.

You said you might consider requests for a little more money, it would be a help if you could let me have 25k instead of 15k. The chemical shop is almost half my cash. Once I've bought some raw materials there is almost nothing left.
Zombayz
Crizh: sent you a PM in a futile effort to keep the thread from being horribly cluttered.
Digital Heroin
crizh: Could be maybe he's got the skills, but he's down on his luck for some reason? Maybe the Star wiped him out, and he had to ditch his lab? Procuring a lab and materials could be a very early goal, one Johnny's support, since it furthers the cause if they've got a place to make the boom boom.

I know Johnny's got a goal up early, and that's to get access to some kind of broadcast media, but he's a team player, and (recently) always up for a spot of meyham.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Apr 15 2009, 10:30 PM) *
crizh: Could be maybe he's got the skills, but he's down on his luck for some reason? Maybe the Star wiped him out, and he had to ditch his lab? Procuring a lab and materials could be a very early goal, one Johnny's support, since it furthers the cause if they've got a place to make the boom boom.

I know Johnny's got a goal up early, and that's to get access to some kind of broadcast media, but he's a team player, and (recently) always up for a spot of meyham.

This is very true, in addition to being a good idea, plus the fact that many explosives can be made using common materials eliminating the need to buy the stuff ahead of time. TetraAcetone Tetra Peroxide for instance is a simple mixture of any acid(as a catalyst), Acetone(think paint thinner), and common hydrogen peroxide. Erythritol TetraNitrate, a signifigantly easier, safer, and more powerful compound to make, is made from erythritol(a sugar substitute availible in 2 kilogram bags), and almost any nitrate(Potassium nitrate, AKA stump remover, is availible in 50 kilogram bags), and once again, it uses almost any acid as a catalyst.

Fake Edit: If you're going to ask how I know this, then ask me through PM, please.
Digital Heroin
While I'm not one to asume, there lie benefits in obtaining the space after campaign start, cheif amongst them being cleaning out drug labs from the neighborhood (rivals if he's still in the game, or any if he's bucked his Triad masters). Johnny's all for cleaning out drug dens. Libertarian as he is, drugs hurt people, and hurting people's bad.
crizh
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Apr 16 2009, 09:38 AM) *
and hurting people's bad.

I'm not sure Flashbang is going to agree with that 100%. grinbig.gif

The Novacoke/Zero is going to hurt exactly the sort of asshat that needs a little hurting... devil.gif
crazyconscript
Hurting people is what Hank the Bikerman does grinbig.gif
Hope you can help me make some more Cram there crizh. Who knows when my stockpile will run out wink.gif
crizh
Would you not rather have Dopadrine and K-10?
Digital Heroin
I should revise that: hurting innocent people is bad. Johnny's not opposed to wanton destruction of property, especially when it's government or corporate, but he's not down with the broad-spectrum killing. Hell, even though the 'Star's got a hate on for him, he's not quite ready to step up to cop killing even. But if pimps, drug dealers, politicians and such happen to get a little hurt put on them, well he'll shed no tears.

K-10? Being that I can't access my thumbdrive at the moment (boss is in eyeshot of the monitor) I'll have to rely on my brain. That's the nastier than frag combat drug that has a chance of leaving one a drooling combat monster?
crizh
Yup, turns you Berserk, potentially permanently. Hence the Dopadrine to counteract the Berserk.

Risky but spectacular.

As to hurting innocents I agree but the 'Masters of the Universe' corporate types that like the mad power rush of getting high on Novacoke are far from innocent victims in Flashbang's eyes.
Dumori
I'm finishing off my spirit but with out a friendship pact. I'll have to get karma via pacts and such. However how would you deal with that? I was thinking of dropping my power pact and picking up drain pact and charging 1 karma a month for the extra drain dice. canvasing groups and individuals I can trust all so allowing me to gain the all important contacts.
Digital Heroin
This is why I'm liking Johnny... he may speak to the masses about getting off the smack, but he's not opposed to them enough not to work with someone who makes drugs, and even to use them from time to time if it'll give him an edge.
crizh
Tweakage

Took out the 'ware and managed to shoe-horn in Armourer. I've added some Radio Detonators that are above the availability cap but every detonator is above the availability cap....

I've also gone with ANNF instead of ANFO because it has a Rating of 6 or 7 depending on how you round and is just as cheap and easy to make.

Flashbang - Viva la revolution

[ Spoiler ]
Dumori
Finished
[ Spoiler ]

I know some of my knowledge skills are a bit badly named.
Zombayz
The knowledge skills actually don't look bad at all, but I'm not entirely sure how I'd deal with the pacts, nor whom would be effected by them(aside from you). We'll work that bit out by PM: send me a message with your ideas when you get the chance.

Crizh, you're looking much better, and the radio detonators are fine. Also, with that specialty in IEDs, I'm sure you;ll be able to figure out some other detonator types(most likely tripwires and friction/primer initiated charges). One thing: what is that mild allergy? As in what substance?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012