Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEXT PRODUCT RELEASE AND DATE
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
The Question Man
I'm not GM'ing anymore , but I still want my gaming book fix . What's going on ???
Kagetenshi
Things are being slow as they always are.
Just ignore the scheduled release dates and assume that books are like snowstorms; they just sorta happen and it's difficult to predict when until about a week before they hit.

~J
Grey
Last I heard, Fanpro is having a lot of problems with the company they use for printing.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Grey)
Last I heard, Fanpro is having a lot of problems with the company they use for printing.

Where, exactly, did you hear that?
Grey
From my sources... alien.gif
Rev
Also remember nothing happens in the business world during december. smile.gif
Bearclaw
There was a time when some one with "Dumpshocked" under their name would have shown up and given us the straight poop. What's up?
RedmondLarry
They are probably working. (Unlike the rest of us.)
Pthgar
QUOTE (Grey)
From my sources... alien.gif

Ah, so it's just a rumor. Good, I'll continue to ignore it then. ohplease.gif
Grey
QUOTE (Pthgar)
QUOTE (Grey @ Jan 14 2004, 07:30 PM)
From my sources...  alien.gif

Ah, so it's just a rumor. Good, I'll continue to ignore it then. ohplease.gif

Ok, well, if you must know I heard it from Adam. sarcastic.gif
Adam
I love you like I love all my illegitimate children, Grey, but please don't misquote me, even in jest. I've said nothing of the sort and have heard nothing of the sort.

Shadows of Europe is not ready to go to the printers, mythical printer problems or not.
Backgammon
Myth is often based in reality, so the obvious conclusion is that Fanpro is going out of business.

Just doing my part to fuel wild rumours rotate.gif
Playing Games
I hear Wotc bought fanpro.They plain on burning it down,then salting the earth...
Large Mike

Funny, I had the the thought of doing the same thing to them.

But then since Peter Adkinson bought GenCon, I decided that he'd probably be in too much mourning to throw another one, so I changed that plan.

Instead I snuck into the White Wolf booth, intended to prank, but was distracted by Invader Zim.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Playing Games)
I hear Wotc bought fanpro.They plain on burning it down,then salting the earth...

Too much work. They'd just convert it to D20 and it'd have the same effect for less effort.

~J
Pistons
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Playing Games @ Jan 14 2004, 10:10 PM)
I hear  Wotc bought  fanpro.They plain on burning it down,then salting the earth...

Too much work. They'd just convert it to D20 and it'd have the same effect for less effort.

~J

If only because some have an irrational hatred of a game system. ohplease.gif

I'd love to be able to say when the next book or books will be released, but I can't simply because I don't know. Most of the other freelancers don't, either. Adam has better knowledge of the subject currently simply because he keeps in close contact with Rob. He's already given the status of SoE several times. He will likely let you know when it changes. To anyone reading this thread, please do a search before you ask this again. And even if you're being silly, please don't start wild rumors. It's bad enough that there are *still* people out there who think that Shadowrun is dead, let alone the things I've seen pop up on the forums here.
Kagetenshi
I'm not a fan of the system, but I don't have an irrational hatred of it. On the other hand, I do have an irrational hatred of the thought of D20 Shadowrun.

~J
moosegod
Heathen!

D20 is the scourge of all that is good and pure in this blighted world!

rollin.gif

And just because it is mildly appropriate from the thread proof.gif proof.gif proof.gif
Pthgar
Dang! I forgot that smiley existed! I swear that the only time I'd use it is when I'm trying to debunk rumors, otherwise it's a little to arrogant for me. And now the perfect opportunity comes along and I forget about it!
Grey
QUOTE (Adam)
I love you like I love all my illegitimate children, Grey, but please don't misquote me, even in jest. I've said nothing of the sort and have heard nothing of the sort.

Shadows of Europe is not ready to go to the printers, mythical printer problems or not.

Know what, I'm sorry, I just remembered wrong. It was Brian who told me it was issues with the printer, not you. My bad. embarrassed.gif
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Pistons)
If only because some have an irrational hatred of a game system.

... right... because, *obviously*, no one could dislike a system such as d20 for reasonable, rational reasons. No one could, with good reason, prefer one particular game system over another, and, furthermore, no one could reasonably become angry if a game was changed drastically for no other reason than to fit it into a standardized system. Anyone who disagrees is *obviously* irrational.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (moosegod)
D20 is the scourge of all that is good and pure in this blighted world!

Munchkin D20 has its uses.
Kesh
Basically, yes. cool.gif
Lilt
Yup. We'll need the epic-level munchkins that use Gate to get from their original plane to the SR world so they can kill Verjigorm. Nothing like being wailed on by a 60th level paladin/monk who was tanked-up by a 60th level cleric while a 60th level sorcerer rains down death upon you and a 60th level bard farts-out sonatas.
Adam
Man, so I had this Adept that was like, a level 12 initiate, and then I went up against this Sammy in full military armour and a Panther Cannon. But then - it was so cool! - the rigger drove his suborbital into the building we were on top of and blew it up! I love this game!
sable twilight
mmmm, farting bards...
Kagetenshi
And then. like, we had this game that worked just fine and rewarded stuff like actually being in character, but then we scrapped it and went to a system where you only earned experience by killing stuff!

~J
Adam
Damn! So that section in the DMG about awarding XP for non-combat portions of the game actually doesn't exist?
Kagetenshi
Nope, it's just your imagination. Just like this strange thing you call a "computer".
Well, how interesting. I had been informed by someone who had read through the books, and who I would've thought would have read them carefully, that there wasn't anything on non-combat XP. Guess I don't have to write out the 2nd ed non-combat awards for her, then...

~J
Adam
From memory, it doesn't give hard-and-fast numbers, because obviously the amount of XP you should get for accomplishing facets of a quest should scale with the danger and the character's level.

Also, it's a little unclear in the text - again, from memory - but you don't necessarily need to "kill" someone to gain XP; just "defeat" them. As far as I'm concerned, distracting someone and accomplishing The Goal is as good as killing someone and accomplishing The Goal.

D&D/d20 is flexible, you just have to let it.
bwdemon
I have several friends and acquaintances who swear up and down that you never get xp for anything aside from combat, that 3.5 turned the game entirely into a miniatures game (ruining 3.0), that d20 is the munchiest thing going, that all d20 games are class-based, that all d20 games are level-based, that all d20 games use the "hit points" system, and other assorted lies and nonsense about what is one of the best game systems going today. All of those friends claim to have read the books, none of them have or they skipped over everything . When shown the evidence, they look incredulous and get quiet. Later, they repeat the same mistakes. It's just in some people's programming to hate d20 and they'll never learn.

You can get by with a preference-based argument that you like successes-based systems instead of TN-based systems. That's wholly subjective, of course, so "rational" probably isn't the best word for the argument. There are the counter-culture sheep that instantly despise anything popular, for no other reason than that it is popular, but they're not rational either. The fact of the matter is that d20 is a very solid, well-balanced, and adaptable system.
midnightblack
I don't care for the "character-class, hit-or-miss, no-levels-of-success D20 system" personally, but I do agree that it is a solid system. As far as game systems go I have always preferred shadowrun and L5R. But I have been playing D&D for years and I enjoy it. (Although while playing I do curse the system when ever an attack of opportunity comes up, or when I want to do a called shot.)

I feel that D20 is too focused on balance and not as much on fun. The D&D worlds I loved like dark sun and the outer planes have become impractical because the level adjustment for the races is too different. Look up their ECL method and you quickly see you have to start out as party of 6th level characters to play a party of adventurers in setting... unless everyone wants to play a human, an elf or a dwarf. One thing that does make up for D20's short comings is that other people are allowed to modify it. So after adding the crit system from starwas and the action dice from spycraft you get a workable system. That is much better then the old system. Because of that I would say it's on of the best systems out there.

Now having said that... every game system that converts to D20 loses what made it unique. L5R is just not as much fun in D20; you have lost the realism that made it fun. Deadlands was a very different game after the conversion. Games that covert lose at least some of their appeal to their fans. And so far every time a game has converted the original system is pretty much thrown out. This is where I think the bitterness comes from because I didn't hear many complaints until the old systems started getting thrown out.

(having said all this I will return to work, and eating my chocolate covered expresso beans to stay awake at work... sorry if I rambled)
Ned
On a vaguely related note, I have noticed the SR3 core book at a lot of the big book chains lately. Something I hadn't seen since FanPro took over.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Adam)
Man, so I had this Adept that was like, a level 12 initiate, and then I went up against this Sammy in full military armour and a Panther Cannon. But then - it was so cool! - the rigger drove his suborbital into the building we were on top of and blew it up! I love this game!

*Gives Jury the look*

No. I don't want to hear about your character! nyahnyah.gif

And on the D&D/d20 thing, it's kinda like MS. Some people seem to just keep spouting the line about how it's so evil without being able to come up with a reason why. I have much more respect for those that can articualte why they hold that view. :/
toturi
QUOTE (Lilt)
Yup. We'll need the epic-level munchkins that use Gate to get from their original plane to the SR world so they can kill Verjigorm. Nothing like being wailed on by a 60th level paladin/monk who was tanked-up by a 60th level cleric while a 60th level sorcerer rains down death upon you and a 60th level bard farts-out sonatas.

You forgot the level 60 rogue that picked V's pockets for goodies and that level 60 fighter/weapon master who cut down V with a single cut!
mfb
adam, you can't just go around ruining baseless accusations with your "facts" and your "evidence". it's not fair.
Domino
QUOTE (mfb)
adam, you can't just go around ruining baseless accusations with your "facts" and your "evidence". it's not fair.

Don't worry, the rabid idiots he is addressing will not have their opinions changed by anything.
Kagetenshi
I will certainly not change my opinion that converting Shadowrun to D20 would be more or less equivalent to burning FanPro's buildings and sowing salt on the real estate. Whether or not the system in itself being used for games that were designed for it is good or bad is another matter.

~J
mfb
oh, yeah--i'm not interested in d20 SR. bad idea. i like my SR system. but i also like d20. they tell me it's some kind of genetic mutation.
Domino
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I will certainly not change my opinion that converting Shadowrun to D20 would be more or less equivalent to burning FanPro's buildings and sowing salt on the real estate. Whether or not the system in itself being used for games that were designed for it is good or bad is another matter.

~J

Good for you.

No one is suggesting that they change it. Just the rabid hatred of D20 system. SR has classes you narrow minded weenies. Mage, Adept, Shaman, Rigger, Sammie. They are only as unique as you make them.
CirclMastr
QUOTE (Adam)
From memory, it doesn't give hard-and-fast numbers, because obviously the amount of XP you should get for accomplishing facets of a quest should scale with the danger and the character's level.

Also, it's a little unclear in the text - again, from memory - but you don't necessarily need to "kill" someone to gain XP; just "defeat" them. As far as I'm concerned, distracting someone and accomplishing The Goal is as good as killing someone and accomplishing The Goal.

I've no memory of this being in D&D 3E or 3.5. It was stipulated in The AD&D 2E Players Handbook. A certain amount of exp is given for each encounter (the example was an orc guard). The PCs get the exp if they kill the orc, or hang around and wait for the orc to leave/fall asleep, but not if they happen to arrive when the orc is gone/asleep.

And yeah, I'm jumping in here late. It's been too long since my last visit. Not that anyone cares.

And as long as wild rumors are going around, I'll start a rumor that I'll release NERPS ten years early!

No I won't. You all have to wait. Mwahaha.
Kagetenshi
For NERPS, or for the rumor?
Hm. Maybe I should make you bribe me with NERPS to make me actually run games. Either that or a pocket calendar that gives me electric shocks when I'm about to miss games.

~J
CirclMastr
If the electric shock thing actually worked, I'd just zap you whenever I wanted a game. It'd need an adjustable setting, you'd become tolerant of little zaps real quick.
moosegod
QUOTE (Domino)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 15 2004, 11:22 PM)

Don't worry, the rabid idiots he is addressing will not have their opinions changed by anything.

No we won't.

God, this board needs an "rolleyes" smiley.

I like d20. It gets people interested in gaming, which is good. The only bad thing is then we get a fugging flood of people who try to play everything like DnD.

And the reason you'll hear "no xp for roleplaying" is that it's marginalized. It's a short section of a book the players aren't even really supposed to read / be interested in.

This is in direct contrast to the complex tables of character level versus CL.

I hate d20.

We get a drab uniformity across our games, which encourages people to not learn new systems, and hence not try new games.

And of course, we have my inbred hatred of monopolies and huge corps.
Kagetenshi
You mean a rolleyes smiley like this one ohplease.gif ?

~J
moosegod
No, like the one at Utopia-Politics.com
Kagetenshi
Having located one of said smileys and looked at it, all I can say is: ewww....

~J
Hocus Pocus
Hey where is the best place online to buy SR stuff?
Kagetenshi
IMO: Stiggybaby's.

~J
mfb
about xp and combat--3.5e DMG, pg 50, 51. it lists a variety of encounter types.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012