Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghosts in the machine
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
So I'm sitting here reading Count Zero for the eleventh or twelfth time, and I'm at the bit where Finn and Lucas are talking about the loa in the matrix. Has anything like this ever shown up in Shadowrun? Are there rogue AIs, or maybe even actual spirits, in the Matrix?
GreyBrother
Paragons.
The Jake
This has been touched on in numerous novels IIRC.

I vaguely remember something about a Ghost In The Machine called 'Alice' (Roxborough's ex wife?). It's been awhile now...

- J.
GreyBrother
Oh, i forgot that little something in Unwired, the actual "Ghosts in the Machine", AI's who believe themselves to be persons and the AI's themselves and Free Sprites. But Paragons are the thing that rang in my mind when i read "loa of the matrix"
Dragnar
There are AIs, sprites (native "electronic spirits"), actual downloaded metahuman consciousnesses (sp?), paragons, the resonance (whatever that is) etc.
Really, the electronic world is inhabited as much as the astral one.
Muspellsheimr
Random Post # 11
The_Vanguard

AIs have been around in Shadowrun since 1st edition (Morgan and Mirage). The latest infos and rules for all weird Matrix phenomena are in Unwired (and partially in Emergence). These books feature AIs (further subdivided into different categories), free and wild Sprites and e-ghosts. Paragons are their own class and not even necessarily real entities (they are for technomancers what the mentor spirits are for mages).

Spoiler Alert for William Gibson's Count Zero
[ Spoiler ]

The AI Deus, on the other hand, apparently managed to awaken technomancer-like powers in his subordinates, although these only worked within his home system. It might be conceivable that the new generation of AIs manages to perfect this process, learning how to give "normal" hackers a kind of spoofed access to the deep resonance.
GreyBrother
Oh what Deus did was quite simple. Most of his followers with "otakulike" abilities just didn't realize that Deus himself "did the matrixstuff" for them. As for the new AIs to replicate that effect, just push their homenode past Response 10 and then read the stuff about creating UV Nodes in Unwired.
The_Vanguard
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Apr 15 2009, 05:28 PM) *
Most of his followers with "otakulike" abilities just didn't realize that Deus himself "did the matrixstuff" for them.

I thought that this had never been really explained. What is your source?

As for the new AIs to replicate that effect, just push their homenode past Response 10 and then read the stuff about creating UV Nodes in Unwired.

Heh, that's a pretty clever idea smile.gif
Synner667
QUOTE (The_Vanguard @ Apr 15 2009, 03:12 PM) *
Spoiler Alert for William Gibson's Count Zero
[ Spoiler ]

About William G's Count Zero AIs...
[ Spoiler ]
GreyBrother
QUOTE (The_Vanguard @ Apr 15 2009, 08:57 PM) *
I thought that this had never been really explained. What is your source?

Wait... good grief, i don't really know if this could be sourced or i made it up... sorry.
Demonseed Elite
Technically the book sources disagree with GreyBrother, though to be fair, it's never explained how AI-created otaku work. Source is page 136 of Matrix:

Certain AI have been able to convert metahumans into otaku. How these AIs have managed this trick is unexplained--some believe these AIs actually tap into the Deep Resonance or manifest it, while others postulate that these AIs manage to duplicate the process independently.

An otaku created by an AI has the same abilities as one created by the Deep Resonance. However, their abilities usually contain at least one serious flaw. In most cases, the otaku's abilities are lost when he works outside the AI's influence. For example, otaku created by the AI Deus within the Renraku Arcology's Matrix systems have proved unable to use their Channels and Complex Forms outside the arcology.

So, it's not impossible that AI-created otaku work because the AI is shouldering some of the ability.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Synner667 @ Apr 15 2009, 09:08 PM) *
About William G's Count Zero AIs...
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
GreyBrother
Demonseed Elite: Yeah, you know how that is. You get your Fanon right and spread it until it becomes official, though it was unintentional in my case. *g*
crash2029
Ghosts in the machine that I am aware of:

A.I.'s Pulsar, Goldenboy, Rufus, et al
God-like A.I.'s: Deus, Mirage, Morgan/Megara(sp?)
E-ghosts: Alex O' Keefe, Captain Chaos (maybe)
Free Sprites: Taske
Sprites
Technomancers: Netcat et al
Other: ?
DoomFrog
Tanegar,

To answer your question, it depends on what you actually think the Loa are.

SR does have e-Ghosts, some are people who's minds got caught in the matrix during the crash.

There are AIs like Dues, Mirage, and Morgan. And there are people who believe them to be gods (like the Loa of Count Zero). There is a group that believe there is a Loa type being called the Deep Resonace.

But in the end there aren't any In-Game rules or stats of any Loa-like character.

[ Spoiler ]
The_Vanguard
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 16 2009, 12:10 AM) *
So, it's not impossible that AI-created otaku work because the AI is shouldering some of the ability.

It just occured to me that Deus started out as the Arcology SCIRE, whose job was to lend an invisible hand to the matrix users. It would make perfect sense for the AI to continue its base function in this way. Deus has always been a provider of individualized assisted matrix access, even as creator of the Network.
GreyBrother
I actually liked that 3rd Edition intermix between AIs and Otaku. SR4 can't give me that since nothing indicates that AIs have something to do with resonance. They are like mundane free spirits.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Apr 16 2009, 01:33 AM) *
Demonseed Elite: Yeah, you know how that is. You get your Fanon right and spread it until it becomes official, though it was unintentional in my case. *g*

That's basically how I started freelancing! wink.gif

I actually liked that 3rd Edition intermix between AIs and Otaku. SR4 can't give me that since nothing indicates that AIs have something to do with resonance. They are like mundane free spirits.

I'll admit I miss the old AIs a lot. Though there's only so long we could have gone on with them before it got ridiculous with god-AIs everywhere. The new AIs are more flexible with their lower power levels.

I miss the otaku as an NPC plot device. I think one of the biggest SR3 mistakes that I was part of creating was providing player creation rules for otaku. They were a much better plot device than a character type.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Apr 16 2009, 11:11 AM) *

some like the big bad unkillable squidhead-wannabe monster of the week, others prefer things to be killable, or just stop taking on futile jobs.

elf, dragon and ia conspiracies have been scaled back to allow a more "street" kind of game. still, there is some interesting AI&TM activity in geneva of all places wink.gif
crash2029
QUOTE (The_Vanguard @ Apr 16 2009, 03:19 AM) *
It just occured to me that Deus started out as the Arcology SCIRE, whose job was to lend an invisible hand to the matrix users. It would make perfect sense for the AI to continue its base function in this way. Deus has always been a provider of individualized assisted matrix access, even as creator of the Network.

I thought that Deus began as the AEP (Arcology Expert Program).
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Apr 16 2009, 05:54 PM) *

Correct, the SCIRE is the host where Deus lived.
Link
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 16 2009, 12:34 PM) *
I think one of the biggest SR3 mistakes that I was part of creating was providing player creation rules for otaku. They were a much better plot device than a character type.

How many mistakes were you a part of? ;)
The first otaku creation rules came in SR2 (VR2).
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Link @ Apr 16 2009, 08:52 PM) *
How many mistakes were you a part of? wink.gif
The first otaku creation rules came in SR2 (VR2).

True, I was only involved when it hit 3rd edition. nyahnyah.gif
GreyBrother
I thought them awesome except the whole "must be in a tribe" thing ^^
The_Vanguard
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Apr 16 2009, 11:54 PM) *

Sorry, wrong acronym. AEP is right, of course.
Czar Eggbert
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 17 2009, 01:20 AM) *
True, I was only involved when it hit 3rd edition. nyahnyah.gif

That may be true, but you were the one to take the concept and fully flesh it out, and make it not suck. talker.gif

The Eggman
_ I am Ozymandias King of Kings, look upon my works, ye mighty, and tremble. _
Demonseed Elite
hey wow, CE, long time no see!
Czar Eggbert
I lurk and lurk and lurk, but I'm never gone long.
- The Eggman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012