Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Viva La Revolucion: the New Revolutionaries OOC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Zombayz
Hey guys, it's time to start the War. Dice rolls will be be done by me, given someone doesn't find something akin to Invisible Castle, without the need to pay some cash(of which I have none) to be able to record rolld for a campaign.

I hope you all have fun, and Odin gefa du rada(Odin give you counsel).

Edit: I'd like to note that I'm not going to be providing a whole lot of plot hooks: You're revolutionaries, fight a guerilla war, recruit, or loot and 'liberate' equipment. It's all up to you.

If things start to stagnate, then I'll throw some violence in or make something happen that likely will make running away or further action needed.
crizh
Do you need to pay for any of Invisible Castle?

I can run searches on any of the rolls I've made whilst logged in and I don't have to be logged in to do it. I don't think.

Wait, let me check.

Flashbang
crizh
Yup, I can search for any Characters rolls, even those that aren't mine, even when I'm logged out.

There's VIP status but it doesn't seem to provide much that is useful.
Digital Heroin
IIRC I'm registered on a free account at Invisible and am able to track and save rolls.

Oh, and that post just rolled right out of my brain. Johnny wouldn't stop kicking the nerve cluster which controls my fingers until it finished, and even then he was yelling at me to post more.
Zombayz
The Campaign function, which records all rolls for a campaign, requires a VIP account.
crizh
Do we really need that?

If we each have a free account does the Campaign thing give any more functionality we need?

On another subject, I posted IC in the recruitment thread before I realized that the IC thread was up, sorry. I suggested that I could have been asked by my Triad friends to do pyro-technics for the concert and that I would have put in 'anti-riot' measures.

Is it OK if I improv' some reason I didn't use them? Perhaps someone above me wanted a riot to happen or the gig was much bigger than I expected and I was actually involved in starting or encouraging the riot?
Zombayz
Campaign function makes it so I don't have to hunt out each individual past roll. And sorry but no on the not using pre-prepped explosives.
crizh
QUOTE (Zombayz @ Apr 21 2009, 10:15 PM) *
And sorry but no on the not using pre-prepped explosives.

Um, I'm not really sure what you meant by that...

Is that a no to being involved with the stage show pyro-technics for the gig the riot started at? Or a no to not having tried to stop it once it started?

Thing is, if he had tried to stop it it would have stopped. Everybody would have woken up after half an hour with a screaming headache and no memory of what the Frak had happened.
Zombayz
QUOTE (crizh @ Apr 21 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Um, I'm not really sure what you meant by that...

Is that a no to being involved with the stage show pyro-technics for the gig the riot started at? Or a no to not having tried to stop it once it started?

Thing is, if he had tried to stop it it would have stopped. Everybody would have woken up after half an hour with a screaming headache and no memory of what the Frak had happened.

Ahh, I thought you meant still having the pyro material for the show. And if he'd tried to stop it, he likely wouldn't be standing around with the rest of the group. More likely unconcious in the streets somewhere.
crizh
Precisely.

I was spit-balling ideas for why I might not have intervened. Perhaps I was asked not to or when I saw the size of the crowd and the passion they displayed I decided to join them and burn down the whole world.
Zombayz
Well, Kurt Travis' life just got incredibly complex, so he's being NPC'd until such a time when either

a) His IRL issues go away
b) I finish use his character like a cheap Spanish puta, and he dies horrifically.

For now, he's pretty much your friendly NPC guide on all things Guerilla.
crizh
Sorry to hear that.
Digital Heroin
As promised earlier, here are Johnny's fleshed out contacts:

[ Spoiler ]
Zombayz
Thank you very much DH. IC update incoming soon.

Edit: sorry if my writing isn't up to par: I've got a test in an hour, and I've had a stress headache for four days straight. I'll try to do my best anyways.
crizh
If you don't mind halving the Interval to produce half the amount I'll happily go with 5 kilos instead of 10.

I figure in a short time-scale it's better to use micro-charges and improve DV by taking your time over assembly.

To really get bang for buck out of mass you have to start getting into the range of tons. I've been looking at the Bishopsgate and Baltic Exchange blasts today and I think that's the sort of thing a revolutionary ought to work up to....

If I were to go with 30g charges of ETN and add shrapnel to the device, say a drinks can full of washers, a +2 AP grenade with a DV of about 15 to 20P can be knocked up in 5 minutes. Alternatively I could go non-lethal and pack the cans with rubber balls instead in which case I reckon 10 minutes for +6 AP and a DV of 15 to 20S.

I've got 25 blasting caps to hand so I could make 25 pretty nasty grenades in about 3 hours.

edit

Zombayz, I'll need to buy some tools, can you roll 4D6 for me for starting cash?
Zombayz
QUOTE (crizh @ Apr 23 2009, 12:11 PM) *
If you don't mind halving the Interval to produce half the amount I'll happily go with 5 kilos instead of 10.

I figure in a short time-scale it's better to use micro-charges and improve DV by taking your time over assembly.

To really get bang for buck out of mass you have to start getting into the range of tons. I've been looking at the Bishopsgate and Baltic Exchange blasts today and I think that's the sort of thing a revolutionary ought to work up to....

If I were to go with 30g charges of ETN and add shrapnel to the device, say a drinks can full of washers, a +2 AP grenade with a DV of about 15 to 20P can be knocked up in 5 minutes. Alternatively I could go non-lethal and pack the cans with rubber balls instead in which case I reckon 10 minutes for +6 AP and a DV of 15 to 20S.

I've got 25 blasting caps to hand so I could make 25 pretty nasty grenades in about 3 hours.

edit

Zombayz, I'll need to buy some tools, can you roll 4D6 for me for starting cash?

The charge would be more around 125 grams for a popcan grenade. Don't forget: real frag grenades weigh about 400 grams.
Aaand, as the first roll of the game, my lucky black dice are getting used.

Results are: 6,6,5,3. Holy shit. That's 2000 nuyen.gif anyways.
crizh
I'm just feeling my way around the IED rules. For a Rating 6 explosive 30g is the minimum charge to hit a DV of 1. With 125g you would hit a base DV of 2.

I'm happy to try and keep within RL parameters if you would prefer but I'm unfamiliar with what they are.

I'll go back to amusing myself with Thermobaric explosives now...
Zombayz
We'll use a bit of both for your explosives. That means you be a bit more dangerous (and get to play around with my real-world expertise for rigging things up), but we can always fall back on the rules as written given both of use are unsure.
crizh
I've added Flashbang to my 'Cast of Shadows' entry here and I'm going to add that link to the first post in this thread for safe-keeping.
Dumori
Unwyn is going to go with Flash bang and use his guard power on Flashbang while he is dealing with the explosives.
Zombayz
Should I roll up your explosives Crizh? By my calculations, it'll take an hour to hit the threshhold for the 5 kilograms of rating 6 explosive(and you'll likely increase the rating by 1), two minutes each for the +2AP grenades, and average damage will range between 3 and 6 depending on how much explosive is used(look in the spoiler)

[ Spoiler ]
crizh
By all means.

[ Spoiler ]

I'm thinking that if we can crack a Citymaster's Chem' Seal with a big charge that they're not expecting, then I can incapacitate the crew with a splash grenade and we're home free.
Zombayz
Unless I'm missing something, you can't take extra intervals to get a higher total. Please, correct me if I'm wrong though.
Dumori
If the citymaster is unrewarded then I could drop in and give them a fright I mean I'll be in for only one surprise round and I couldn't take anything with me but I could one use accident to make it crash before the hit. Two use influence on the driver if not rigged so it pulls over and opens its doors. On both counts stun 'nades would work awesomely (if the GM states that rubber balls won't just hurt less nyahnyah.gif)
Assume, if you will, Zombayz that Unwyn will use guard a lot on him self for every roll and on the person the plan depends most on a glitch not happening. Also Zombayz if you want I could set up a wiki page like the one I have for fields of fire. http://fieldsoffire.wikidot.com/ or I could just tag this game on to that page. On a side note Unwyn will use accident on the first person to pass him a drink. In a prank style way. Also Unwyn need s to get some connections and a heads up on gang wars and predicted outcomes ect. He needs to get a source of karma.

P.s are we using SR4 or SR4A rules?
crizh
Hmmm, I've yet to find any support either way. It would appear that whoever wrote that section of Arsenal had a unique approach to Extended tests.

I can't find any other example where outcome is improved by net hits for an Extended Test. Every other example has outcome improved by increasing the Threshold at the outset.

I have assumed that you can continue to roll because nothing else makes sense.

The Advanced Explosive rules in Arsenal are badly broken if you can't. For example, a single M-67 Fragmentation Grenade contains 180g of Composition B with an RE of 1.35. Using these rules that would have a DV of 2.29 plus net hits. You are going to have to have one hell of a dice pool to get that up to 12P if you stop rolling the instant you exceed the threshold.

Logically someone with 7 net hits and a dicepool of 10 gets the remaining 1 hit necessary to finish at some point during the interval rather than all his hits arriving at the same time at the end of the interval. To accumulate any net hits at all he must take his time and continue to accumulate hits even when he could have just stuck the fuse in and yelled 'finished' at the top of his lungs. (giving everybody else in the room a heart-attack in the process.)

Logically there has to be some sort of limit. I suppose if you plan to use the SR4A BR rules that is built in, or you could cap net hits to Dice Pool or some sort of formula related to mass of charge and Rating of the explosive.

edit- found a quote from Peter Taylor (Synner). He pretty much says that it's up to the GM but implies strongly that the intention of the rules is to allow continuing the test until you have all the hits you want and the limiter is the normal max number of rolls on an Extended Test.

further edit - There is another thread on here, about Breaching and Cutting, where this is mentioned repeatedly and there's not a single mention of having to stop when you reach the threshold. There are a lot of contentious people on DS, I'm sure one of them would have mentioned it if they thought that was the intent of the rules.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Dumori @ Apr 25 2009, 02:49 AM) *
If the citymaster is unrewarded then I could drop in and give them a fright I mean I'll be in for only one surprise round and I couldn't take anything with me but I could one use accident to make it crash before the hit. Two use influence on the driver if not rigged so it pulls over and opens its doors. On both counts stun 'nades would work awesomely (if the GM states that rubber balls won't just hurt less nyahnyah.gif)
Assume, if you will, Zombayz that Unwyn will use guard a lot on him self for every roll and on the person the plan depends most on a glitch not happening. Also Zombayz if you want I could set up a wiki page like the one I have for fields of fire. http://fieldsoffire.wikidot.com/ or I could just tag this game on to that page. On a side note Unwyn will use accident on the first person to pass him a drink. In a prank style way. Also Unwyn need s to get some connections and a heads up on gang wars and predicted outcomes ect. He needs to get a source of karma.

P.s are we using SR4 or SR4A rules?

I'm agreeing that the rubber ball grenades hurt like hell(do normal damage), as I've been hit by an improvised version before. As for setting us up a Wiki page, feel free to do so, but I suck horribly at Wiki editing, so it'd fall on you to maintain it.

Seeing as I'm only in possession of the SR4 book, I'd have to say SR4

QUOTE (crizh @ Apr 25 2009, 06:46 AM) *
Hmmm, I've yet to find any support either way. It would appear that whoever wrote that section of Arsenal had a unique approach to Extended tests.

I can't find any other example where outcome is improved by net hits for an Extended Test. Every other example has outcome improved by increasing the Threshold at the outset.

I have assumed that you can continue to roll because nothing else makes sense.

The Advanced Explosive rules in Arsenal are badly broken if you can't. For example, a single M-67 Fragmentation Grenade contains 180g of Composition B with an RE of 1.35. Using these rules that would have a DV of 2.29 plus net hits. You are going to have to have one hell of a dice pool to get that up to 12P if you stop rolling the instant you exceed the threshold.

Logically someone with 7 net hits and a dicepool of 10 gets the remaining 1 hit necessary to finish at some point during the interval rather than all his hits arriving at the same time at the end of the interval. To accumulate any net hits at all he must take his time and continue to accumulate hits even when he could have just stuck the fuse in and yelled 'finished' at the top of his lungs. (giving everybody else in the room a heart-attack in the process.)

Logically there has to be some sort of limit. I suppose if you plan to use the SR4A BR rules that is built in, or you could cap net hits to Dice Pool or some sort of formula related to mass of charge and Rating of the explosive.

edit- found a quote from Peter Taylor (Synner). He pretty much says that it's up to the GM but implies strongly that the intention of the rules is to allow continuing the test until you have all the hits you want and the limiter is the normal max number of rolls on an Extended Test.

further edit - There is another thread on here, about Breaching and Cutting, where this is mentioned repeatedly and there's not a single mention of having to stop when you reach the threshold. There are a lot of contentious people on DS, I'm sure one of them would have mentioned it if they thought that was the intent of the rules.

Ok, rolls up to GM fiat then. Let's agree that your nades won't be quite as good as proper frag grenades, but still very dangerous. We'll cap net hits at twice the rating of the explosive, if that's agreeable. So a respectable 13P, +2(+6 for the stung grenades)AP.

I'd also like to note that placing a breaching charge is HUGELY different from a fragmentation grenade, mostly in the fact that a breaching charge is extremely well placed, using a fairly large amount of explosive. With a breaching charge, placement is everything: Placing it around a door frame can blow the door off, but find a thin wall and it works even better, while throwing shrapnel on the other side.

So, I guess we'll still end up going with your original plan as it was written basically, counting in that you'll have you max net hit in roughly three intervals. That OK with you?
crizh
That sounds reasonable. If I can raise the rating with the chemistry test then that's what I'll do. Bring it up to at least Rating 8 and use the same build times I already suggested.

Otherwise I'll need to take longer and make more ETN because the Radio Mines need to have a DV of at least 23 to crack a Citymaster's armour. At +2AP I'd need a 4 kilo charge for each mine made with rating 6 explosives.
Zombayz
Not if you build a shaped charge, which is relatively simple. Shaped charges are designed with the sole purpose of blowing holes through armour. A proper shaped charge would act like the warhead of an anti-vehicle rocket, which is pretty good for just being some explosives sphaped properly.

Quick edit: I'll post the rolls in a few minutes, in this post.

ROLLS
[ Spoiler ]

I think I might have to change which dice I'm using. Having out at almost half of all individual dice rolls being hits is kinda insane. Or we can keep the crazy dice: and let the enemies use them too.

Fake Edit/note: I didn't include the normal glitches, because, well, they all got auto-negated by Dumori.
crizh
I'm kinda assuming that Shaping Charges and such like is what is being abstracted by the demolitions roll.

In particular increasing AP on the IED table would make it much more effective, I just don't have time to do that so I'm just going for big boom.

Big Badda Boom!
Zombayz
Basically, it would be a demolitions roll: however, instead of just increasing DV, it would increase DV and AP.
crazyconscript
sorry for being out for a bit there, my internet has been a bitch the last few days and wouldnt let me on for any length of time.
Dumori
I'm back from Oxford now. Guys I think we should get a chopshop ready for the citymaster so we can destroy any tracking devicers.
crazyconscript
which i just what i was proposing in the IC thread. I have a mechanic contact who might be able to something, but he is only L1:C2. Unless anyone has a better idea, i'll try and contact him. I am by NO means a face however with Cha 2 and no socials...plus with L1 we will probably need to pay him to debug something like a citymaster, and i doubt any of us have much cash. I know i dont.
Dumori
Easy take some of the cops gear. Say we'll own him one I'm sure one of the more face like of us could do the talking as well.
Digital Heroin
Johnny is obviously more than a little mentally unstable. I can picture him decked out like some kind of tank commander, standing proudly out the top hatch of a speeding cop-wagon, with a swagger stick under his arm and all.

He doesn't want to hide at all from the cops, but he's smart enough to know you need to stay mobile.
Zombayz
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Apr 27 2009, 09:03 AM) *
Johnny is obviously more than a little mentally unstable. I can picture him decked out like some kind of tank commander, standing proudly out the top hatch of a speeding cop-wagon, with a swagger stick under his arm and all.

He doesn't want to hide at all from the cops, but he's smart enough to know you need to stay mobile.

I just had the mental image of a tank commander with green mohawk, leather and spikes throwing the horns while chasing down politicians.

It's a beautiful sight.
crazyconscript
it does indeed bring up beautiful images in my mind, and now i really want to pimp my bike...

As for currently in game: Zombayz, can i roll intuition+(combat biking or lone star patrol areas) to figure out where might be a good place to stage this ambush, and the route i will probably need to take? I'm thinking that my orientation system should help with the route planning
crizh
I'm picking up a bunch of legal gear on the way to the lab, tools, gas masks, comm-links, that sort of stuff. I'm just going to add it to my 'sheet but if anybody else wants anything just say and I can pick it up on the way.

I'm sure there was other stuff I wanted to ask my Fixer for but I can't recall what atm. I suppose I'm going to need some more detonators soon....
Digital Heroin
I totally forgot a contact in that mix, eh. Ze Janitor:

[ Spoiler ]
Zombayz
QUOTE (crazyconscript)
As for currently in game: Zombayz, can i roll intuition+(combat biking or lone star patrol areas) to figure out where might be a good place to stage this ambush, and the route i will probably need to take? I'm thinking that my orientation system should help with the route planning

That's a good idea. Here's the rolls:
[ Spoiler ]

Crizh:
[ Spoiler ]

Edit: We've hit Page 2 IC! 1 karma for everyone(even the free spirit!)!
crazyconscript
Bwahahaha! Disaffected workers you say? Riot gear you say? Riot+Loot=WIN! in the mind of Krank spin.gif

Edit: they better have that riot gear in dwarf size!!!
Dumori
Unwyn is going to when time permits (b4 or after the hit) to try and a Asatru magical group and get a lowdown on gang wars to find a gang to give life pacts to.
crizh
Hey, if you need armour resized I'm your guy.

Zombayz

[ Spoiler ]

Zombayz
I wouldn't mind at all Crizh.
crazyconscript
Pepper punch is ridiculously good for what it does, especially considering the price and the legality of it.
Zombayz
I know. I've made a few character specifically designed around it. But, you have to look at it this way: It's pepper spray. It's not all that hard to improvise something similar(chili pepper, and jalapenos soaked in alcohol for a few weeks gives a nasty liquid that can be put in any old Windex bottle).

Digital Heroin:
[ Spoiler ]

Edit: Crazyconscript, I'll wait on your IC action before posting an IC update.
Zombayz
Ok, update is in the process of being written! Hope you're all still there!

Edit: I'm making a small request. IC chatter to be in light blue(as we've already been using), and commlink messages/speech be in red, just so it's easier to read when in spoiler tags.

Extra Edit: Well, seeing as the only person who needed actual update stuff was Digital Heroin, I advise you guys make your final plans then cause some chaos.
crizh
I vote for Judean People's Front.
Digital Heroin
Freedom Under Consent of Konrad
crizh
On a more serious note I like New Model Army or some variation on that theme.

The Gas-masks thing grew from watching V for Vendetta and Dr Who too much. I was thinking that Johnny could be a rabble rouser who didn't technically do anything illegal, a bit like an interesting version of Gerry Adams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012