Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun & MapTool states
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Veggiesama
I am working on a Shadowrun 4th Ed. campaign framework for the virtual-tabletop software, MapTool. With MT, you can drop down tokens to represent characters. On these tokens, you can set "states" (tiny pictures that overlay your token) to represent what currently affects the character, such as "Prone" or "Sustaining a Spell." As you can imagine, this helps make running combat easier for GMs and players.

QUESTION #1: I have written up a number of possible SR4 states here. These states could apply to characters, spirits, vehicles, drones, etc. Are there any important ones I forgot? Is there anything I got wrong? Is there anything you'd like to see?

I want some of these states to be mutually exclusive: for instance, you can't set your PAN to both Active and Hidden at the same time. I am calling these states "modes." In effect, you can only select one of them from a small list at a time (ex. PAN has None, Active, Passive, and Hidden as choices).

Some states are NOT exclusive: you can be prone, on fire, and nauseated at the same time (there would be a checkbox for each one). In addition, some things that I thought were exclusive modes (vision modes) aren't exclusive at all, so there would probably be checkboxes for those too.

QUESTION #2: I came up with a few modes so far (see here). I learned that vision wouldn't work well as a mode, since it's possible to have 2+ vision modes action at the same time, so I made room for each type of vision. Is anything about the remaining modes incorrect? Are there any modes I am forgetting, or that you would like to suggest?

If you are really curious about why this exclusive/non-exclusive stuff matters, read the posts on that thread. Basically, I can put as many states as I want on a token and it will arrange them correctly in a grid, but I want to modes to show up in a specific spot (like the top-right). This post might show you what I visually mean by that.
pbangarth
Thanks, Veggiesama, I've been meaning to get around to this kind of thing for a while. I am running a Ghost Cartels campaign in MapTools, and have been feeling a little embarrassed that it is mechanically so primitive. I will certainly have a look at this material and give you some feedback.

One problem for me may be that I am running 1.3.b49, not b56.
Veggiesama
I would paste this image straight here, but Dumpshock doesn't like [img], I think.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=...=101785#p101785

This is pretty much what I'm talking about. Currently it just has a bunch of placeholder images. Looking for suggestions to improve the list.
Veggiesama
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 28 2009, 10:29 PM) *
Thanks, Veggiesama, I've been meaning to get around to this kind of thing for a while. I am running a Ghost Cartels campaign in MapTools, and have been feeling a little embarrassed that it is mechanically so primitive. I will certainly have a look at this material and give you some feedback.

One problem for me may be that I am running 1.3.b49, not b56.

I'd be glad to hear your opinions/suggestions!

b56 is getting a lot more stable, and the devs are getting close to 1.3 final, and a lot of cool macro stuff has been released in the last few patches, so I definitely recommend updating to take advantage. =P
PirateChef
I am currently using OpenRPG so host a game of SR, but have been considering the switch to maptools. Is there any way one of you maptool gurus could give me a quick breakdown in how to get things up and moving?
pbangarth
I knew nothing at all about it but got up and running after an evening with the help files on the RPTools website here.
Veggiesama
Anything to get more SR4 people checking out MapTool...

http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/
Awesome Camtasia videos of MapTool at work, if you want a quick look (many videos are outdated, but still relevant).

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Main_Page
Unofficial wiki with tutorials, guides, and macro help for just about anything you need.

Once you get used to using MapTool (dragging tokens around, playing with lights and states, etc.), you might want to check out some of the frameworks (you can find those somewhere on the forum). A frame is basically a collection of "stuff" that helps you play a certain system. I linked to the SR4 framework I'm working on in my first post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012