Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting Max Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BullBear
As stated in other threads, I'm coming back to SR after about 10 yrs away, so I'll be asking 'basic' questions from time to time.

I'm having a small degree of difficulty figuring out the beginning attribute maxes. For example: can I only give a Troll '1' in body 'cause everyone maxes out at '6'. OR can I only put in up to '6' from my attribute pool, then add his 5 for a total body of 11?

Having trouble with what that '6' is. Is it before or after racial modifiers?
Thanks!
Jason Farlander
its a 6 before racial modifiers.
Kagetenshi
So yes, you can toss six points in and then you'll get the +5 modifier and be at 11.
Please note, however, that you cannot put zero points in Body and wind up with a Body 5 Troll.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
its a 6 before racial modifiers.

But becarefull as with allthings there are exceptions. But basic SR3 characters going with that rule is safe.
Cain
Just to make things a bit clearer-- you assign attribute points before you calculate racial modifiers. So, in the case you describe, you assign 6 points from your starting points, and then add the five.
John Campbell
Also, you have to assign enough points to each Attribute to end up with at least a 1 after racial modifiers are applied... that troll would need to sink at least 3 points into Charisma, for example, which would leave him with a 1 Charisma after modification.

A troll's full range of possible Attributes is will look like this:

Body: 1 to 6 + 5 = 6 to 11
Quickness: 2 to 6 - 1 = 1 to 5
Strength: 1 to 6 + 4 = 5 to 10
Intelligence: 3 to 6 - 2 = 1 to 4
Willpower: 1 to 6 + 0 = 1 to 6
Charisma: 3 to 6 - 2 = 1 to 4
Xirces
Although SrComp notes that if you're a ghoul and the transformation would cause an attribute to fall to zero you can compensate with another attribute instead. If a player had a good reason for doing so I'd allow it for standard meta modifiers as well (I also think that there was an example of this in a previous edition, but I'm probably wrong).
Glyph
With a ghoul, you are assigning Attributes first, then rolling to see how well you take the transformation - which determines the penalties. I can see letting someone take a penalty to another Attribute in that case.

For normal char-gen, though, it's pointless. Say you have a troll with 2 points for Intelligence, and your -2 modifier would take it down to 0, so instead you take 1 point from Intelligence, and 1 point from Willpower, bringing it down from a 4 to a 3. So why not just spend the 3 points on Intelligence, and the 3 points on Willpower, in the first place, instead of putting in amounts that won't work and shuffling things around? It's just making it needlessly complicated.
toturi
Actually, for ghouling, you make a completed charactor then you ghoul him.
Xirces
QUOTE (Glyph)
With a ghoul, you are assigning Attributes first, then rolling to see how well you take the transformation - which determines the penalties. I can see letting someone take a penalty to another Attribute in that case.

For normal char-gen, though, it's pointless. Say you have a troll with 2 points for Intelligence, and your -2 modifier would take it down to 0, so instead you take 1 point from Intelligence, and 1 point from Willpower, bringing it down from a 4 to a 3. So why not just spend the 3 points on Intelligence, and the 3 points on Willpower, in the first place, instead of putting in amounts that won't work and shuffling things around? It's just making it needlessly complicated.

Except I'd allow a troll with (for example) 5 body (ie, 0 points assigned to it), if a player had a good reason for doing so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012