Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Totems & Mentor Spirits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MJBurrage
Does anyone see anything missing from the Sixth World Wiki: Totem List?

It's what I was able to put together for a new campaign, and was hoping for other sets of eyes.
The Jake
Voudoun Loa don't appear to be updated to reflect their SR4 equivalent (yet, all the Pagan Gods are?).

That's just off the top of my head.

- J.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (The Jake @ May 19 2009, 07:25 PM) *
Voudoun Loa don't appear to be updated to reflect their SR4 equivalent (yet, all the Pagan Gods are?).

Thanks, I had forgotten about the pantheon lists in Street Magic. The current one in the SWW article is from State of the Art: 2064.

Although it's too bad that Bacchus, Lover, Sea King, Siren, and Wild Huntsman were not included in Street Magic, since it means that the connections described in that book could not make use of them.
tsuyoshikentsu
Bacchus is a Horned Man by Street Magic; Poseidon, the only one whose only equivalence is Sea King, is Sea; and no aspects have only Siren or Horned Man. Hence, everything's covered.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 19 2009, 08:47 PM) *
Bacchus is a Horned Man by Street Magic; Poseidon, the only one whose only equivalence is Sea King, is Sea; and no aspects have only Siren or Horned Man. Hence, everything's covered.
Ah, but what about all the other pantheons? How many of those 'gods' should be one of the missing Idols?
The Jake
If you read Street Magic, there is a writeup of every major tradition and their respective totems.

E.g.
Quetzacoatl used to be "Plumed Serpent" in 2nd ed. Now it is a variation of "Snake" under SR4.
Erzuile is now the "Seductress".

Etc.

- J.
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 19 2009, 07:44 PM) *
Ah, but what about all the other pantheons? How many of those 'gods' should be one of the missing Idols?

Only Fenrir, whose entry refers to "toxic." Not having SR3, I don't know what that means.
Neraph
QUOTE (The Jake @ May 19 2009, 06:25 PM) *

That's just off the top of my head.

- J.

You're implying that voodoo isn't pagan. That's funny. You're also implying that all "pagan" pantheons are basically the same. That's also funny.
Apathy
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 20 2009, 01:19 PM) *
You're implying that voodoo isn't pagan. That's funny. You're also implying that all "pagan" pantheons are basically the same. That's also funny.

My [possibly flawed] understanding is that "pagan" has several different meanings to different people.
  • It can refer just to the religious practices of pre-Christian Europe (i.e. Celtic, Druidic, Gallic, Norse, etc). I believe that this was the original usage of the word, as it come from the latin for "country dweller".
  • Can also refer to all polytheistic religions.
  • Some expand it to include all non-Abrahamic (Christian/Muslim/Judaic) religions.

Sounds like he was using the first definition, not the second. (Though I'd agree that he'd still be off about all paganism being the same.)
Demonseed Elite
*watches the thread train derail*
Larme
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 20 2009, 01:19 PM) *

Maybe you should have clicked the link before you decided to mock someone's supposed ignorance. The Jake wasn't implying anything, that's how it's listed in the wiki. The wiki lists basically the Greek/Roman and Norse gods as "pagan," and not the loa. I guess if you have such a problem with that you can go ahead and try to edit the wiki, eh?
GreyBrother
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ May 20 2009, 09:46 PM) *

Popcorn? *munch munch*
Ryu
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 20 2009, 01:42 AM) *
Thanks, I had forgotten about the pantheon lists in Street Magic. The current one in the SWW article is from State of the Art: 2064.

This is one of the topics you might want to use the most current version/errata for.

QUOTE ('SM errata 1.2')
p. 184 Celtic (pantheon)
Add “; god of craftsmen Goibhniu.�
p. 184 Chinese (pantheon)
Add “; the Dragon Kings (Dragon) and the Phoenix
Empress (Phoenix).�
p. 184 Classical (pantheon)
Add to the list: “; god of blacksmiths and artisans
Hephaestus.�
p. 184 Egyptian (pantheon)
Add “; warrior/guardian Sekhmet (female Lion).�
p. 184 Hindu (pantheon)
To the end of the list add: “; death goddess Kali (aspects
of the Dark Goddess); Durga the avenger (female aspect of
Lion)�
p. 184 Norse (pantheon)
To the end of the list of deities add: “; god of craftsman
Weiland.�
Writer
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ May 20 2009, 04:40 PM) *
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ May 20 2009, 02:46 PM) *

Popcorn? *munch munch*

Am I late for the show?
Oh, hey, popcorn!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Writer @ May 20 2009, 09:05 PM) *
Popcorn? *munch munch*

Am I late for the show?
Oh, hey, popcorn!

Got any Gummy Worms?
MJBurrage
Updated the Sixth World Wiki entry with all the pagan pantheons from Street Magic. P.S. the "Pagan" terminology is right from the Sourcebooks.
The Jake
QUOTE (Larme @ May 20 2009, 08:15 PM) *
Maybe you should have clicked the link before you decided to mock someone's supposed ignorance. The Jake wasn't implying anything, that's how it's listed in the wiki. The wiki lists basically the Greek/Roman and Norse gods as "pagan," and not the loa. I guess if you have such a problem with that you can go ahead and try to edit the wiki, eh?

Bingo.

Neraph, before you try and take shots at someone, get your facts straight first.

- J.
HappyDaze
Neraph, before you try and take shots at someone, get your facts straight first.

You're talking about the guy that spewed some crap in another thread on his religious views and still flashes his offensive sig ('We live only to serve.') around with pride. Whatever. Let him keep on living as a slave to his mythology, and I'll keep on ignoring anything he says on these forums that's based on his RL beliefs.
martindv
Weren't there also some new ones in Digital Grimoire? Are those in there and not credited, or did I miss something?
Larme
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ May 23 2009, 06:43 PM) *
You're talking about the guy that spewed some crap in another thread on his religious views and still flashes his offensive sig ('We live only to serve.') around with pride. Whatever. Let him keep on living as a slave to his mythology, and I'll keep on ignoring anything he says on these forums that's based on his RL beliefs.

Why is that sig offensive? Google has failed to provide me the answer.
HappyDaze
I find the notion of servitude to mythological beings offensive.
tsuyoshikentsu
Then don't believe in it, and stop yelling at everyone else.
HappyDaze
Who's yelling?
tsuyoshikentsu
You, in post 18.
Redjack
This is not the place to air your personal prejudices. Discussions of religion as well as trolling and baiting are a violation of the TOS. If you think I might be able to stretch a link of any of those to a post you have made (or want to make), consider this a free warning.

Please return to the topic or feel free to invoke your right to remain silent.
Neraph
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 20 2009, 11:19 AM) *

Sarcasm is so difficult to convey over the internet... Look at the post objectively, and that's how I meant it. I found it truely humorous that the person (and evidently SR itself) seems to lump all the "pagan" religions together but excludes voodoo (possibly due to its assimilation of Judeo-Christian concepts) as pagan.

EDIT: I was going to offer some constructive criticism with the wiki site, but didn't see anything you guys missed. But again I only started on 4th..
MJBurrage
QUOTE (martindv @ May 23 2009, 06:18 PM) *
Weren't there also some new ones in Digital Grimoire? Are those in there and not credited, or did I miss something?
Not that I could find, but if you have a name or page it would be appreciated.
The same goes for any that may have been mentioned in novels or even as an aside in another sourcebook. (page numbers very much appreciated, since I can't keyword search my dead-tree books)

P.S. IIRC voodoo was treated differently in past editions simply because it was covered early. Back in SR2, the magical traditions described (shaman, hermetic, druid, elven, and voodoo) each had deliberately different sub-rules. Later rulebooks added all the other traditions, and simplified the early ones to fit within the new overall framework. By SR4 it boils down to magic is magic, just flavoured by how you see the world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012