Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tactical Corsets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
MikeTrevin
http://www.tacticalcorsets.com/

Anyone care to try and come up with stats for these?
Summerstorm
Why would anyone need specs for that? It's for kinky fantasies. (It's even got an "Interogation Pouch" containing a small whip). If you want to show off your "assets" while in this, you are still wearing combat gear. And if you wear combat gear you should as well wear armor too.

It is pretty useless. Stats like a armored vest without the armor?

Cadmus
I'm sorry...could you pardon me, when I get done laughing at this I I need to start crying,

Yes both funny and depressing. But if any one here really has to much money on there hands for things like these um...my middle names charity? and if you don't belive me I'm willing to get it legaly changed to that smile.gif
Blind Guardian
The devs are ahead of you on this. There's already an armored corset as part of the Steampunk fashion line on page 46 of Arsenal. It has an armor rating of 2/2 and costs 600 nuyen.gif .
Snow_Fox
dear goddess this is so wrong on so many levels.

Beyond the obvious- did you see the 'interogation pouch"?
Two things jumped out at me, no not those!

1) Even if going for 'sexy' that is going to be reduced by loading up a bunch of the pouches onto it. so why bother?
2) It's only usful as armor if the shooter goes for a belly shot. That -ahem- armor, leaves your heart and shoulders wide open.

Sorry I'll stick with jeans and a cami or blouse under a leather armored jacket. fashinoable and infinately more protection.
Captain Aardvark
No... just no. There is no way in hell that should be rated as armor. Yes there are some vital organs that are protected, but you do not aim that low when trying to kill someone (I am not saying that you are aiming for a headshot).
After reading the description of this corset I am certain it is mostly made for goth and SM women who want to be what they called "empowered," and\or cool.

Sorry if I offended any persons who fit that description and also find this silly.
Stahlseele
Well it does LOOK Cool . .
Captain Aardvark
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 7 2009, 05:14 PM) *
Well it does LOOK Cool . .

True, but it is like the chainmail bikini. Looks good, but it has no real use beond that.
Stahlseele
*shrugs*
so?
If it looks good, that's enough use in and of itself in my eyes.
Just as there are no empty calories, as long as it tastes good.
hobgoblin
it may grant distraction bonus, but no way it will give armor bonus wink.gif
Stahlseele
Good enough ^^
Ed_209a
I loved how the adcopy implied that there are size 1, female security contractors in Kabul and Baghdad right now complaining about how there just isn't any field gear that makes them feel pretty.

Yeah, right.

That isn't tactical, it's tacti-cool.
wylie
practical, most of the time nope...

fluff, oh yes it is

it is good for those strapless dresses, and security guards who just shot at the person

now most professional shooters (cops, military, etc) are taught to shot center mass. I think the strapless won't be very helpful
many halo players do head shots. enough said

fluff though, the corset is great. its worn under the clothes, giving protection when you got to sneak into that high society party and the armored jacket just won't cut it

to me it is real life fluff. and before we know it, it will be featured in several movies
"Darling, I saw him shot you in the breast. How are you alive?"
"Tactical corset, honey, stopped the bullet. Still hurts like hell. Got me right on the nipple."
or
"I wore both armors, my vest and my corset. Never leave home without them."
Snow_Fox
I don't even think it looks pretty. It looks tacky and cheap. Of course i don't have the same 'eye' that a guy might have but still, it looks ugly.

As for owmen in Kabul? yeah right. 1) pro's are not gonna like this crap and
2) This is coing to freak out the conservative muslim culture in Afghanistan and even the pro-Americans are going to be offended by this.
hobgoblin
heh, seems most of their models go for the goth look anyways...
nezumi
The pouches really are too much, and the model totally did not strut it. However, I could totally see this becoming more common in SR. Sure, it's not effective as a full-body suit, but here's the thing, most women aren't going to wear a full-body suit anyway. It's like asking if it's better to have $5,000 life insurance or NO life insurance. $5,000 isn't nearly enough, but at least it's something.

I still don't know what one could do about delicately hiding the shoulders and head. Modern fashion really does not allow for that easily.

Any idea what this is rated for? I'm guessing class II?
Chibu
"Style over substance" anyone? Why are you all concerned with armor ratings? If you don't look good, it's not worth going out anyway. Oh wait... That would only be true if you played a game with a cyberpunk theme...

That being said... the 'tactical corset' thing is definitely ugly.
Larme
Nobody need stats for clothing with pockets and/or pouches. All you need to do is say "my corset has a whole bunch of pouches." I'm actually pissed at them for creating those smart packs in Arsenal -- they're cool, but they get people into the mindset of needing stats for everything, including minute bookeeping details like making stats for ordinary pouches on a tactical vest.
Zen Shooter01
It's sexy, in an industrial, apocolyptic way. It is MOLLE compatible. And it covers from under the armpits to the hipbones, to it could provide some armor protection, just like ARS pg. 46 says. After all, the canon says that wearing a helmet alone gives 1/2.

None of the buttons at the top of the tactical corsets page worked, which makes me wonder if it's a joke.
paws2sky
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Jun 7 2009, 08:21 PM) *
That isn't tactical, it's tacti-cool.

If only I had more space in my .sig
biggrin.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Jun 8 2009, 09:10 AM) *
None of the buttons at the top of the tactical corsets page worked, which makes me wonder if it's a joke.

The page says it's under construction (roll down to the bottom).
knasser
QUOTE (Cadmus @ Jun 7 2009, 07:08 AM) *
But if any one here really has to much money on there hands for things like these um...my middle names charity?

You want us to buy it for you? Well, okay, but I think we're going to want pics in return.

-K.
Cadmus
I don't know? am I getting dinner and a movie with this? grinbig.gif
knasser

You know, I read this thread and all I can think about is how I can shoe-horn in a joke about some fashion-victim starlet not being seen dead in mil-spec armour.

@Cadmus: Sorry, the deal's off. I never realised you were so high-maintenance. Dinner and a movie? You're such a gold-digger! grinbig.gif
Snow_Fox
Nezumi even covering the shoulders you still leave the prime target area wide freaking open.
QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 8 2009, 08:53 AM) *
"Style over substance" anyone? Why are you all concerned with armor ratings? If you don't look good, it's not worth going out anyway. Oh wait... That would only be true if you played a game with a cyberpunk theme...

That being said... the 'tactical corset' thing is definitely ugly.

thank you, I'm glad someone finally agreed with me!
Bob Lord of Evil
I can imagine some director having an actress like Pamela Anderson squeeze into something like this for Barbwire III. grinbig.gif

Is it practical?

No. But...then again are 4" stiletto heels?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Bob Lord of Evil @ Jun 8 2009, 10:50 PM) *

You can stab someone with the heels... not very well, but still...
Bob Lord of Evil
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jun 9 2009, 10:55 AM) *
You can stab someone with the heels... not very well, but still...

Touche. grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
Gives:"Weapons of a Woman" a whole new Meaning neh?
paws2sky
I showed this to my wife last night. Her reply: "This is a joke, website... right?"

She had the same reaction to the utilikilt, though.

-paws
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 9 2009, 06:59 PM) *
I showed this to my wife last night. Her reply: "This is a joke, website... right?"

She had the same reaction to the utilikilt, though.

-paws

I can honestly say that no time while wearing my kilt (Clan Colours, Represent! rotate.gif ) have I thought "You know I could really use some utility pouches on this thing..."
tsuyoshikentsu
Because you can fit an entire sixpack into the two main pockets of that thing.
Bob Lord of Evil
You know, I just can't see myself ever wearing a kilt. Don't get me wrong I have no preconceptions about men who do. The whole idea of the uber commando thing and one strong gust of wind...well I guess I am just a little bit concerned. grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
I still wanna play a Troll Metavariant giant wearing a Kilt Commando.
Poor Dwarves. And most every other Race too ^^
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (Bob Lord of Evil @ Jun 9 2009, 10:07 PM) *
You know, I just can't see myself ever wearing a kilt. Don't get me wrong I have no preconceptions about men who do. The whole idea of the uber commando thing and one strong gust of wind...well I guess I am just a little bit concerned. grinbig.gif

You big girl. There is nothing more manly than proudly displaying ones junk to the entire world whenever a gust of wind rolls through. (A note, a decent Kilt is actually quite heavy (lots of folds) and so aslong as your careful when you sit down your junk remains sufficiently hidden most of the time wobble.gif )
SincereAgape
As a former borderline metrosexual and a social worker who adorns themselves with a non distinct wardrobe...these outfits are pretty cool smile.gif
Larme
QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jun 9 2009, 04:09 PM) *
You big girl. There is nothing more manly than proudly displaying ones junk to the entire world whenever a gust of wind rolls through. (A note, a decent Kilt is actually quite heavy (lots of folds) and so aslong as your careful when you sit down your junk remains sufficiently hidden most of the time wobble.gif )

Also, there are these things called underpants? They didn't have them in ancient Scotland, but these days you can walk right into this place called a "store," and buy them with this stuff called "money." No barter required, just trade pieces of paper for woven cloth garments which provide comfortable, opaque protection for your genitalia. Amazing, right? ohplease.gif
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (Larme @ Jun 9 2009, 11:04 PM) *
Also, there are these things called underpants? They didn't have them in ancient Scotland, but these days you can walk right into this place called a "store," and buy them with this stuff called "money." No barter required, just trade pieces of paper for woven cloth garments which provide comfortable, opaque protection for your genitalia. Amazing, right? ohplease.gif

Pfft, that would be the sensible thing to do. If your going real Scotsman you dont need such things! grinbig.gif
Mercurian
There's nothing quite like wearing a kilt in regimental fashion. But really, you don't have to worry about sharing the gifts God gave you with the rest of the world unless you're jumping around the tables in the beer garden. biggrin.gif
Bob Lord of Evil
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 9 2009, 09:08 PM) *
I still wanna play a Troll Metavariant giant wearing a Kilt Commando.
Poor Dwarves. And most every other Race too ^^

That is just wrong on SO many levels!!!

QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jun 9 2009, 09:09 PM) *

That which stands out is the 'most of the time.' grinbig.gif

QUOTE (Larme @ Jun 9 2009, 10:04 PM) *

That would seem to counteract the purpose of the kilt in the first place! rotfl.gif

QUOTE (Mercurian @ Jun 9 2009, 10:17 PM) *
There's nothing quite like wearing a kilt in regimental fashion. But really, you don't have to worry about sharing the gifts God gave you with the rest of the world unless you're jumping around the tables in the beer garden. biggrin.gif

Might make a person think twice about getting into a bar brawl too! spin.gif
HardSix
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 8 2009, 02:37 PM) *
You know, I read this thread and all I can think about is how I can shoe-horn in a joke about some fashion-victim starlet not being seen dead in mil-spec armour.
Heck, we can't even get starlets in RL to put on panties before going out in public... how are the handlers/managers going to convince them to struggle into a corset?! Unless that becomes the new trend in 207x -- stars with known stalkers and obssessive fans going out in public without a stitch of armor. Oh sure they can afford it and they make fashionable versions, but there is no thrill in being safe.

QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 8 2009, 08:40 AM) *
It's like asking if it's better to have $5,000 life insurance or NO life insurance. $5,000 isn't nearly enough, but at least it's something.
Ummm, if it's life insurance, then it doesn't matter either way to the insuree. Either way, they're still just as dead. dead.gif
Kingboy
Perhaps someone can point out where I missed it (got tired of trying to navigate the shitty half assed site OP linked), but I don't see where this is being suggested as armor in any way shape or form. It's a web vest tacked onto a tacky corset, not an armored vest dressed up to look like a tacky corset...
Snow_Fox
Just look at the main page, there's a pictogram of a corset + clearly an armored vest = their product.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Bob Lord of Evil @ Jun 8 2009, 11:50 PM) *
I can imagine some director having an actress like Pamela Anderson squeeze into something like this for Barbwire III. grinbig.gif

Is it practical?

"Depends on your definistion of pracical, hon, as well as what *taps temple* advantages you've got. Having the bad guys stop and stare as you go racing past them and jump a three meter fence without pause has a practicality all its own. Besides, you're not going to catch me dead at the Needle in my favorite little black dress wearing flats, and there are quite a few places in the 'plex you do NOT want to be running through bare foot. Like anything worthwhile, all it takes is practice." ::Kerenshara
Bob Lord of Evil
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 10 2009, 03:19 AM) *
"Depends on your definistion of pracical, hon, as well as what *taps temple* advantages you've got. Having the bad guys stop and stare as you go racing past them and jump a three meter fence without pause has a practicality all its own. Besides, you're not going to catch me dead at the Needle in my favorite little black dress wearing flats, and there are quite a few places in the 'plex you do NOT want to be running through bare foot. Like anything worthwhile, all it takes is practice." ::Kerenshara

*grin*

While I have no doubt that your character's agility merits the ample stop and stare...I can think of more than a couple of locations where the in question footware would be impractical.

A plant where catwalks utilize extended metal sheeting (think wire grill work).
A wooden plank pier (where the planks have a gap).

Nor should one leap (or fall) to the conclusion that if they can't wear 4" stiletto heels that they have to go bare foot. Larme pointed out that there are these new fangled things called stores...now I have never seen one. But if you can get underpants in them I bet you can find a decent pair of combat boots. rotfl.gif
Chrysalis
This corset I think is a perfect example of live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse in a badly fitted and made corset.

The corset is just badly built. Even on the model its straight on the hips, but twisted on the bodice. It does not look as comfortable as a genuine corset. Hell there are half corsets which are better built than that one.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Bob Lord of Evil @ Jun 10 2009, 12:31 AM) *
That is just wrong on SO many levels!!!

Thank you, thank you, i will be here . . ugh, probably most of my life.
Chibu
QUOTE (HardSix @ Jun 9 2009, 07:47 PM) *
Heck, we can't even get starlets in RL to put on panties before going out in public... how are the handlers/managers going to convince them to struggle into a corset?! Unless that becomes the new trend in 207x -- stars with known stalkers and obssessive fans going out in public without a stitch of armor. Oh sure they can afford it and they make fashionable versions, but there is no thrill in being safe.

I know lots of people who own and wear corsets. Just because "stars", who are notorious for having awful taste in clothing (ugh), don't wear them doesn't mean they are not popular. I mean... Have you ever been to a goth club? 85% of people there (gender unrelated lol) wear corsets. Though, the new-style steel-ribbed ones are generally cheaper than the ones with actual whale bones. Add in some armor? Well... It would have to be thin armor, otherwise the corset would be too bulky and stick out making you look fat (again), and therefore it would completely negate the purpose of the corset. I suppose it would be possible to make the corset of kevlar (II) with a thin padded layer beneath, using steel ribs. But even so, as noted (i think) earlier, such a contraption would only have an armor rating of 1 or 2. Anything higher and it would look bad.

Hmm... not really sure why I was quoting that post... maybe becuase it mentioned stars. Oh right. No, your little starlets in the 70's won't have any better taste than those of today. Well... other than Maria Mercurial that is nyahnyah.gif
Larme
QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 10 2009, 08:33 AM) *
I know lots of people who own and wear corsets. Just because "stars", who are notorious for having awful taste in clothing (ugh), don't wear them doesn't mean they are not popular. I mean... Have you ever been to a goth club? 85% of people there (gender unrelated lol) wear corsets. Though, the new-style steel-ribbed ones are generally cheaper than the ones with actual whale bones. Add in some armor? Well... It would have to be thin armor, otherwise the corset would be too bulky and stick out making you look fat (again), and therefore it would completely negate the purpose of the corset. I suppose it would be possible to make the corset of kevlar (II) with a thin padded layer beneath, using steel ribs. But even so, as noted (i think) earlier, such a contraption would only have an armor rating of 1 or 2. Anything higher and it would look bad.

Hmm... not really sure why I was quoting that post... maybe becuase it mentioned stars. Oh right. No, your little starlets in the 70's won't have any better taste than those of today. Well... other than Maria Mercurial that is nyahnyah.gif

SR4 ballistic materials aren't bulky, they make armored suits and dresses and such that are the epitome of fashion and have no bulk at all to them. Bulk comes from impact armor, which is why all of the tres chic fashionware has low impact armor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012