Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking and Logic?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
braingoblin
ok, this didn't really seem to fit with the Agents question I asked earlier. This is about Hacking and my Logic stat. I looked at the catalyst labs FAQ for SR on this and I understand the basics of the uses of my hacking skill and logic attribute. But what I really want to know is, can I really not use my Logic skill along with my hacking skill and the Program rating? It just seems that a Logic 1 dummy with a commlink, hacking 5 and exploit 5 could do just as good at the same task as a logic 6 hacker with the same gear.

I had a thought, in unwired, theres a quality called intuitive hacking and you choose a specific action and don't need a program. Does that mean I could use my logic attribute along with my hacking or electronic warfare skill instead of a program?

I'm sorry to be asking all these questions, this just really bugs me that my logic stat can't really help me in my matrixy skills that much.

Or am i missing something? I am here to learn...
Summerstorm
That quality is near-useless. It allows you to do ONE matrix action without a program. (You can take it multiple time of course) And your missing dice from your pool will not be replaced by an attribute or something (you only have your skill)

Also there are some threads about mental attributes and their uses in the matrix. And dozens of suggestions for houserules.
DuctShuiTengu
More specifically, the quality is horribly overpriced, since you can buy a rating 1 copy of every hacking or common use program in the books for just 10,400 nuyen.gif , costing you just over 2 BP and allowing you to take any matrix action as long as you don't lose them.
shuya
it allows you to use one matrix action from ANY device, pretty much (like having to know protocol in your head instead of using netcat or something... scary proposition). it lets you do something without having to swap out programs when your commlink is already bogged down, and to avoid having to thread and sustain an R1 complex form for a simple task while you may want to be multitasking.

i'm rather fond of the quality, myself, though it is mostly good for players who favor personality over dice pools. it's fun with codeslinger too! smile.gif
TheOOB
A common house rule is to limit the bonus form a program by your logic, not a rule I entirely support because it makes SOTA programs fairly...worthless. Hardware and software are logic skills however, and some hacking/computer checks do use logic.
Tiger Eyes
I may be opening a huge can o' worms here, but in my game at least, my GM would never approve a Logic 1 or 2 hacker build.

If I were the GM, and that PC came to my table, I'd have great fun making them roll logic checks when they wanted to do something. "Oh, you want to hack that guy's cybereyes to erase the incriminating footage of you? Hmmm... that's pretty clever. Better roll your logic to see if your character would think of it. Let's see... threshold 2. Roll 'em." But then again, like I said, at our table all builds are approved or disapproved by GM before game play, and that's one that wouldn't make it.
deek
Yeah, I wouldn't let that happen at my table either.

I've still been running Logic + Skill limited by program rating, but I'm considering going to Skill + Program limited by Logic or just going to RAW altogether...my players aren't min/maxing the matrix and the ones that could abuse this don't have characters that want to steal the matrix limelight from the hacker...so I may just have to turn the safety off and let them play:)
braingoblin
heh, I know that a hacker of Logic 1 wouldn't be allowed, I was just using it as an example for my question.
braingoblin
And real quick, whats RAW mean?
Cthulhudreams
Rules as Written.

I also endorse these matrix rules: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=48836

They are good.
paws2sky
Personally, I find the frequent, repeated crying over low Logic hackers to be pointless and more than a bit irritating.

This isn't the 1970's or the 1980's or even the 2000's.

Programs in 2070's are verging on autonomous. It helps if you have training, of course, but you really don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this stuff out. Seriously, you tell the program to do something, point it in the right direction, and it does it. You just need to know how to start it up - that requires training, not smarts.

Where the low Logic hacker is going to be at a disadvantage compared to high Logic hackers is in making his own stuff. He's going to be buying everything he uses - and he better hope he has contacts who aren't out to screw him.

-paws

PS Nothing personal OP, this just keeps popping up over and over again.
Malachi
QUOTE (deek @ Jun 10 2009, 07:20 AM) *
... I'm considering going to Skill + Program limited by Logic ...

That's the one I use. It's the least disturbance on the RAW while still making Logic worth something. For TM's I would probably not fix it at Logic but limit their hits by whatever their Fading attribute happens to be for their tradition (sometimes Logic, other times Intuition or Charisma).

QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Jun 10 2009, 08:31 AM) *
I also endorse these matrix rules: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=48836

ohplease.gif Ugh, let's not drag that ugly dead horse out again. The "problems" that those rules propose to fix are overblown to the millionth degree, and they introduce just as much meta-gamey explanations as they purportedly rail against. Let the guy run the RAW and then decide for himself if they need changing/replacing.
DireRadiant
Low Logic Hacking and Computer and Agents allow more PCs of all kinds to interact and act in the Matrix. Gun Bunny Street Sam or Mage can know do a tiny bit of low level hacking as needed. Or rigging.

More options to include this element of the game is good. For a few BP, no team is caught short in the minor hack, such as opening a matrix door lock or hacking a camera, department.
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 10 2009, 11:26 AM) *
Low Logic Hacking and Computer and Agents allow more PCs of all kinds to interact and act in the Matrix. Gun Bunny Street Sam or Mage can know do a tiny bit of low level hacking as needed. Or rigging.

More options to include this element of the game is good. For a few BP, no team is caught short in the minor hack, such as opening a matrix door lock or hacking a camera, department.

I have been running a group that seems to be allergic to hackers/matrix since SR2, so I welcome this as well. YMMV of course.
Kingboy
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 10 2009, 09:49 AM) *
Where the low Logic hacker is going to be at a disadvantage compared to high Logic hackers is in making his own stuff. He's going to be buying everything he uses - and he better hope he has contacts who aren't out to screw him.

-paws

PS Nothing personal OP, this just keeps popping up over and over again.

Damn, beaten to the crux of the issue by my own GM. smile.gif

Count me in the "tired of hearing whining about low Logic Hackers" camp as well...
shuya
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jun 10 2009, 07:10 AM) *
I may be opening a huge can o' worms here, but in my game at least, my GM would never approve a Logic 1 or 2 hacker build.

If I were the GM, and that PC came to my table, I'd have great fun making them roll logic checks when they wanted to do something. "Oh, you want to hack that guy's cybereyes to erase the incriminating footage of you? Hmmm... that's pretty clever. Better roll your logic to see if your character would think of it. Let's see... threshold 2. Roll 'em." But then again, like I said, at our table all builds are approved or disapproved by GM before game play, and that's one that wouldn't make it.

yeah, that's right up there with making your characters roll to drive to the stuffer shack
Chibu
QUOTE (Kingboy @ Jun 10 2009, 01:06 PM) *
Damn, beaten to the crux of the issue by my own GM. smile.gif

Count me in the "tired of hearing whining about low Logic Hackers" camp as well...

mmhmm... too bad there's not a FAQ so as to stop there being a new thread about this topic every week...
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Malachi @ Jun 11 2009, 12:56 AM) *
That's the one I use. It's the least disturbance on the RAW while still making Logic worth something. For TM's I would probably not fix it at Logic but limit their hits by whatever their Fading attribute happens to be for their tradition (sometimes Logic, other times Intuition or Charisma).

ohplease.gif Ugh, let's not drag that ugly dead horse out again. The "problems" that those rules propose to fix are overblown to the millionth degree, and they introduce just as much meta-gamey explanations as they purportedly rail against. Let the guy run the RAW and then decide for himself if they need changing/replacing.

Wait, so you complain about me suggesting house rules, while at the same time suggesting a house rule? Man, seriously.

@paws2sky

The fluff totally shouts out to the concept of super l33+ hackers like Fastjack, who given a rubber band and a toothpick and slice some serious security.. who just don't exist with point and click hacking rules. I mean, that isn't bad in the abstract, it just doesn't gel properly.

This is why people complain. Fastjack is awesome because he's smart and fast - two things that make no difference when it actually comes to slicing someone's hot firewall and dodging the ICE. But people want the super pro hacker with nothing to overcome the big corporate hotshots with all the money in the world, which the rules don't facilitate. When people's expectations are not met, they come and complain about it.

Lots of people expect smarts to be a critical component of hacking - the very archtype is the smart geeky guy. Failure to deliver on expectations results in complaints.

I guess the best analogy is this: If you went to a fancy french restaurt and got a maccers burger at maccers prices, you would probably complain because the food was not what you were expecting - not because the food is bad, you'd happily get the same burger from McDonalds.

The lack of logic in the hacking rules is no worse or better than a McD's burger - it's just not what people are expecting because they ordered some pasta/Fastjack style smart hackers.
CodeBreaker
I never liked just how Script-Kiddie a lot of Shadowrun 4th felt. I am still trying to figure out a way to pull Logic into my Matrix game, been toying with some House rules but havent gotten myself stuck down yet. Its one of the reasons I play as a Technomancer. At least that way I can make some use of having a 5 in Logic.
Daishi
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 10 2009, 08:49 AM) *

A hacker that writes all his own code isn't a hacker; he's a programmer. He has no time for hacking because all of it is taken up by coding. Any hacker who wants to run with the team will be needing to buy very nearly everything he uses unless the campaign goes on for years and includes months of downtime at a stretch. Rolling your own programs is a practically tiny portion of being a hacker, and thus Logic remains a functionally irrelevant attribute for the hacker.
Malachi
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Jun 10 2009, 09:22 PM) *
Wait, so you complain about me suggesting house rules, while at the same time suggesting a house rule? Man, seriously.

I use an optional rule published in a Rulebook that tweaks one aspect of the game. Not a complete house rule replacement for the entire system.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (Daishi @ Jun 11 2009, 04:53 AM) *
A hacker that writes all his own code isn't a hacker; he's a programmer. He has no time for hacking because all of it is taken up by coding. Any hacker who wants to run with the team will be needing to buy very nearly everything he uses unless the campaign goes on for years and includes months of downtime at a stretch. Rolling your own programs is a practically tiny portion of being a hacker, and thus Logic remains a functionally irrelevant attribute for the hacker.

I have been thinking about changing the time for each roll for patching from 1 Week to 1 Hour. Unfortunatly I dont have any players to test this on right now. Would reducing it to 1 hour trivialise the entire thing? Would 6 hours be better? A day? More?

I like the thought of my groups Hacker needing to do some work to keep himself in tip-top hacking condition, but I dont really want to have him spend every waking moment making him do so.
deek
QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jun 10 2009, 11:33 PM) *
I have been thinking about changing the time for each roll for patching from 1 Week to 1 Hour. Unfortunatly I dont have any players to test this on right now. Would reducing it to 1 hour trivialise the entire thing? Would 6 hours be better? A day? More?

I like the thought of my groups Hacker needing to do some work to keep himself in tip-top hacking condition, but I dont really want to have him spend every waking moment making him do so.

You might get 1 out of 20 hackers at the table wanting to program their own software, but most will just buy everything and not have to worry about SOTA. I've yet to have anyone care to break copy protection on any program and share with the team. The non-hackers don't care about high rating programs.
Falconer
The biggest problem w/ people writing their own stuff is it takes forever (months) then you need to spend a lot more time keeping it up to date.

If you write one program, then are part of a hacker cooperative and share your work for access to theirs... okay nice use of a group contact.

Really the programming rules as written only make sense for large corps, who can keep a programmer to write one or two pieces of software as his responsibility... then maintain them and distribute them in house. W/ the cost increase in skillwires, this is a prime example... if I have one guy write say 1 to 3... I can spread the cost out over say 50 to 100 installs and easily see some cost savings.

And quite frankly, if you're a runner... that time is probably better spent A. creating fake/stealing SINs & licenses B. other prep work, like spoofing a secondary lifestyle for a safehouse C. spoofing up the lifestyle (what soy paste again... it'd be nice to get some real steaks delivered for the grill).

Though overall, I find SOTA is the easiest way to handle it. And I don't understand at all the frustration people feel at it. 10% to get a cracked copy. Then 5 or 10% of the marginal 5->6 cost added to monthly lifestyle to keep it up to date. (depending on whether it degrades every month or every 2 months).
deek
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jun 11 2009, 10:28 AM) *
Though overall, I find SOTA is the easiest way to handle it. And I don't understand at all the frustration people feel at it. 10% to get a cracked copy. Then 5 or 10% of the marginal 5->6 cost added to monthly lifestyle to keep it up to date. (depending on whether it degrades every month or every 2 months).

Or, you just buy the program and get free patches for life. Most players are going to be more willing to spend a few extra nuyen up front, then worry about the bookkeeping and nickel and diming every couple months to keep the rating up. Hell, most GMs don't want to deal with that anyways.
Jaid
QUOTE (deek @ Jun 11 2009, 11:11 AM) *
Or, you just buy the program and get free patches for life. Most players are going to be more willing to spend a few extra nuyen up front, then worry about the bookkeeping and nickel and diming every couple months to keep the rating up. Hell, most GMs don't want to deal with that anyways.

and then anyone who cares enough to come looking for you finds you, and there goes that identity and the licenses to use the software(and therefore your free updates) that goes with it just as soon as you commit any crime while using the software. and any other properties that are attached to that SIN (licenses, bank accounts, etc).

being easily traceable is not a good idea as a shadowrunner. just get a cracked copy, join a cracking ring, and add the cost to your lifestyle.
deek
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 11 2009, 02:34 PM) *
and then anyone who cares enough to come looking for you finds you, and there goes that identity and the licenses to use the software(and therefore your free updates) that goes with it just as soon as you commit any crime while using the software. and any other properties that are attached to that SIN (licenses, bank accounts, etc).

being easily traceable is not a good idea as a shadowrunner. just get a cracked copy, join a cracking ring, and add the cost to your lifestyle.

I guess I never viewed registered software as being THAT easily traceable. If the hacker is using a low-level fake SIN, spoofing his Access ID prior to the run and cleaning up the Access Logs, I'm not so convinced that he'd be easily found.

But then again, on my GM list of things to track a PC, that ranks pretty low. But I suppose if they have covered all other trails and erased all other ways to be traced, if they are using registered programs I have one other way to get them...
Draco18s
"Yes, we believe that this photo was Photoshopped by one of your users. Yes, we'd like to compare this list of access IDs to your list of registered users. Uh huh. Uh huh. That's right sir. We think he committed a crime and would like to know who he is."
shuya
QUOTE (deek @ Jun 11 2009, 06:15 PM) *
I guess I never viewed registered software as being THAT easily traceable. If the hacker is using a low-level fake SIN, spoofing his Access ID prior to the run and cleaning up the Access Logs, I'm not so convinced that he'd be easily found.

But then again, on my GM list of things to track a PC, that ranks pretty low. But I suppose if they have covered all other trails and erased all other ways to be traced, if they are using registered programs I have one other way to get them...

did you know that you can find out an awful lot of information about someone TODAY just by analyzing the meta-information in a picture taken by a digital camera, including but not limited to time and date of the picture, camera model, physical location the picture was taken (for some GPS-equipped cameras), etc... furthermore, every digital camera has a "fingerprint" of sorts, tiny imperfections in the image creation process that can be analyzed in a photo and linked to that specific camera, much like a gun leaves its personal mark on every bullet fired through it.

imagine how bad it'll be in 2070. any registered program will likely leave a trace in every file it edits or creates that will tell anyone who can access it everything about you, sadly. Runners Companion has a really good section on just how much personal information you're giving away anytime you do pretty much anything. it's not about access ID or creating fake identities or having your connections and actions logged and recorded by someone else, it is about what YOU are telling people, all the time. you can obscure and edit and mislead and erase tags all day long, but you'll NEVER get them all. never understimate the value of information; it is in the best interests of any software provider to have their programs create as much information as possible--they are, in essence, printing their own currency by doing so.
Cthulhudreams
Why would ares want to tell Horizon about the access ID of someone who purchased black hammer off Ares and used it on a horizon employee?

Clue, they wouldn't. Hopefully they'll use it on another horizon employee, or failing that someone from someone else Ares wants to go to hell. Ares is actually paying people to black hammer horizon employees, so people do it for free is just gravy.

It should be almost impossible to find someone to tell you anything about anyone in SR.
Jaid
the rules state that people get a +2 dice pool bonus per program that you have registered when they want to track you down. so if you have system, firewall, edit, scan, and browse, that's +10 to their dicepool to find you.

why does it work that way? i don't know. i'm not living in the sixth world, i just roleplay as someone who does. as far as why would horizon do that? well, maybe because the corporate court requires them to pretend to get along. presumably if they had to do more than just the bare minimum forced upon them by the corporate court, it would be even easier. i don't know the full reason why, but i do know that's how it works.

regardless, we know that it is very easy to find someone who makes extensive use of registered programs. if you don't want to deal with that, then buy a cracked version and pay for the updates. pretty everyone else has stuff they need to replace (special ammo, chemicals, grenades, drones, medkit supplies, binding materials, bribes, and so on) in addition to stuff they want to upgrade. what makes you so special you can't be bothered to spend some cred here and there to keep up with the SOTA in a field where the SOTA moves so fast? if you don't want to deal with it, then don't be a hacker. (and if you absolutely must be a matrix specialist but can't stand the thought of having actual upkeep costs for your equipment just like everyone else, well then be a technomancer).

Draco18s
Updating 1 rating 6 program is worth more, far more, than rounds of ammo for the rest of the team.

How much is a rating 6 hacking program? 600 nuyen.gif a month, or the equivalent cost of 300 rounds of standard ammunition.
shuya
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 11 2009, 10:53 PM) *
Updating 1 rating 6 program is worth more, far more, than rounds of ammo for the rest of the team.

How much is a rating 6 hacking program? 600 nuyen.gif a month, or the equivalent cost of 300 rounds of standard ammunition.

you clearly are not carrying/firing enough automatic weapons ^_^ 300 rounds can be gone like that (i'd snap my fingers, but you wouldn't be able to hear it over the internet)

any hacker running around with straight-R6 gear should be making more than enough money to find a way to keep his kit SOTA.

and as a brief aside, i think the hacking and logic rules stuff isn't really a problem as much as it is dice-pool min maxing on the part of players. how many tech-hackers (differentiating from technomancers, who actually have character) have you seen people play who DIDN'T start with the "Rating 5 Hack-Pack™!!!11one." if all the players are making the same character (and i guarantee at least one person reading this thread knows by heart the cost of a commlink and every program at rating 5), of course they're gonna all look like skiddies.
Daishi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 11 2009, 10:53 PM) *

It's nuyen.gif 100 per month is it not? Ten percent of the difference between the degraded rating and the full rating. Rating 6 is nuyen.gif 6,000 while Rating 5 (degraded) is nuyen.gif 5,000. Difference is nuyen.gif 1,000; ten percent gets you nuyen.gif 100. Running a full suite of just about everything at Rating 6 will cost you under 2k per month to keep sharp. That's not too bad. A suprathyroid-equipped goon living the high life will run more than that for his food bill (as is the case with my current back-up character.)
deek
Okay, I'll concede that its not as expensive or overly bookkeeping to keep your programs SOTA. I've learned something new, so that's a good thing.

But, if the only game mechanic that is affected by registered programs is +2 to track per program, I'm still not seeing the big deal with pay once and hack with a registered program. The amount of time it takes to track a good hacker, is not going to net all that much. And once you change your Access ID or turn your comm off, the spider tracking you is going to bump into a dead end and what, get the last location you were hacking from?

I think the fluff is a lot more scary than what is going to actually happen at the table...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Daishi @ Jun 12 2009, 03:10 AM) *
It's nuyen.gif 100 per month is it not? Ten percent of the difference between the degraded rating and the full rating. Rating 6 is nuyen.gif 6,000 while Rating 5 (degraded) is nuyen.gif 5,000. Difference is nuyen.gif 1,000; ten percent gets you nuyen.gif 100. Running a full suite of just about everything at Rating 6 will cost you under 2k per month to keep sharp. That's not too bad. A suprathyroid-equipped goon living the high life will run more than that for his food bill (as is the case with my current back-up character.)

I thought it was 10% of the cost of the program not the cost of the difference.
Wiseman
Why would ares want to tell Horizon about the access ID of someone who purchased black hammer off Ares and used it on a horizon employee?

Plausible deniability?

Ares can appear to be cracking down on these rogue hackers using these programs to appease the CC, and still be paying others to use the same programs to continue to do the same.

PR departments thrive of scapegoats... How many other crimes that Horizon suspected Ares of funding can they pin on one maverick hacker with a clear disregard for established standards.
Kingboy
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 11 2009, 10:58 PM) *
the rules state that people get a +2 dice pool bonus per program that you have registered when they want to track you down. so if you have system, firewall, edit, scan, and browse, that's +10 to their dicepool to find you.

No, the rules state:
QUOTE (Unwired @ pg. 115)
Registration
Program Types: Common, Hacking, Autosoft, Simsense
*fluff bit snipped*
In game terms, decrease the threshold of any attempts to track a user who has used a registered program by 1 for each registered program used. Likewise, increase the threshold of any attempt to Edit the access log (p. 65) or otherwise eliminate traces of the data-trail by 1 for every registered program used while hacking a node.

So,
  1. it is a threshold reduction for the tracking party, not a dice pool bonus,
  2. the value of the reduction is 1, not 2, and
  3. System and Firewall are NOT programs, they are Software Attributes of Matrix enabled nodes. These are not equivalent terms.

Using the example you cited, a spider tracking a runner using those programs would be making a Trace User action with a threshold of (10-3=7,Complex Action) using his normal dicepool of Computer+Track, with no dice pool bonus (at least none fom the fact that Registered programs were used).
Jaid
hmmm... must be mixing my rules somewhere.

anyways, this is even worse; an attempt to hide the datatrail has the threshold increased by 1, and spoofing your AID (or altering it with hardware) is not an extended test. so in the above (and looking at it, oddly enough registration cannot be applied to system and firewall, technically, so apparently you're right; my personal opinion is that's an oversight, but whatever). so, now instead of a threshold 2 test, in the above scenario you're talking about a threshold 5 test. if you should be unfortunate enough to actually have a full suite of programs that are registered, you're looking at a threshold of over 20 on a non-extended test. or, in other words, you're pretty much screwed.

and an attempt to change your access ID is indeed an attempt to 'eleminate traces of the data trail':

QUOTE (SR4A page 224)
The standard technique to reduce your datatrail is to spoof your commlink’s access ID.
(emphasis added)

so yeah, using registered programs is pretty much a death sentence.

oh, and while bullets are not terribly expensive for standard ammo, i expect many groups find use for capsule rounds with appropriate drugs, stick-n-shock, APDS, ex-ex, and various grenades, chemicals, and such. such investments can *really* pay off in a big way. certainly, you can shadowrun without them, but if your hacker absolutely *must* have the best in hacking gear, i can only assume that the rest of your team should likewise not be skimping on their gear. 600 nuyen could very well be only 6 (full auto) bursts or 3 IPs of suppressive fire, depending on the ammo type.
Kingboy
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 12 2009, 05:51 PM) *
anyways, this is even worse;

Not really. You simply need to read closer. I have edited my earlier post to highlight some key phrases.

an attempt to hide the datatrail has the threshold increased by 1, and spoofing your AID (or altering it with hardware) is not an extended test.

You forgot to continue down to the part where spoofing the ID takes several minutes, far to long to be an effective tactic while in mid run.

Altering your Access ID is something done before you begin a run, and requires no Programs to complete. It is either a Hacking+Software or Hardware+Logic test. It takes place entirely within the confines of your own node, so there is no datatrail to worry about creating, at least until you start connecting to other systems. Spoofing your ID is what you do to distance yourself from your last seven Stuffer Shack purchases while on a run, and what you do to clean up after you've finished a run and don't want to be linked to the hacks you just pulled off, not a method for eluding an active trace (not an effective method at least).

so in the above (and looking at it, oddly enough registration cannot be applied to system and firewall, technically, so apparently you're right; my personal opinion is that's an oversight, but whatever).

While that may be your opinion, there is nothing to back that up. Characters have Attributes, these are defined as Physical, Mental and Special Attributes. Commlinks/Nodes/Nexi have Attributes. These are defined as Hardware (analagous to Physical) and Software (analagous to Mental) Attributes. One could even say that things like Persona Limits are analagous to Special Attributes.

Software Attributes for nodes are System and Firewall. Software is not the same as Programs.

so, now instead of a threshold 2 test, in the above scenario you're talking about a threshold 5 test. if you should be unfortunate enough to actually have a full suite of programs that are registered, you're looking at a threshold of over 20 on a non-extended test. or, in other words, you're pretty much screwed.

Actually no, you have a threshold of 2, because you are smart and did it before the run, and needed no Programs to complete the task, therefore bypassing any use of Registration. Of course if you are really smart, you've instead done one hardware test in the past and installed a Spoof Chip, at which point you can change the ID at the push of a button (which drops all subscriptions and likely still takes "minutes" to register properly, but is so simple a toddler could do it).

And really, "threshold of 20"? At best, barring a milspec commlink of some rarity, the average hacker could only conceivably be running 11 programs at once (or is only likely to be, not wanting to suffer Response degradation), assuming 6 of them are Ergonomic.

Also, only the programs you have actively running will be generating a datatrail and therefore contributing to the negative effects of Registration. If you've got a Registered copy of Miracle Shooter or even Decrypt sitting in your commlink's memory but it is not being used, it's not going to add penalties.

One thing the user of registered programs does have to be cautious of is constantly swapping programs. If it's been used to hack the node in question, it will add penalties even if you unload it.

and an attempt to change your access ID is indeed an attempt to 'eleminate traces of the data trail':

QUOTE ((SR4A page 224))
The standard technique to reduce your datatrail is to spoof your commlink’s access ID.

(emphasis added)

Emphasis added as well.

Changing your Access ID is indeed an attempt (more precisely a method) to reduce the datatrail, but it is not the only method by which such attempts may be made. It is a generally useful method for doing things like avoiding spam, stopping Stuffer Shack from building a profile on you as one of their biggest SoyKaf drinkers at a given location, and generaly sticking to the shadows. For hackers it is very useful in assuring that the job they are currently doing on a given node isn't linked back to the job they did on some other node last week. It is not, due to the time it takes--once again, minutes are involved here, or 20-30 Combat Rounds, plenty of time for a spider to Trace the old AID--an effective method for slipping a trace.

The basic methods for reducing the datatrail while hacking involve Editing the Access Log (specifically mentioned in the rule above, now higlighted in red) and taking Redirect Trace actions while actively being tracked. Both of these are indeed made more difficult when using Registered programs, but can be dealt with to some degree by using only those programs that are necessary. You can also simply delete the access log if you're not worried about security knowing that someone was here (although they won't know who), all that takes is appropriate level account access. Beating the threshold for the Redirect Trace will still add to the threshold of the Trace User action for the tracking spider, it's just harder to do.

so yeah, using registered programs is pretty much a death sentence.

Is it a good idea for dedicated Hackers to use non-Registered programs? Certianly. They are not nearly the "death sentence" you seem to think they are though.
Draco18s
oh, and while bullets are not terribly expensive for standard ammo, i expect many groups find use for capsule rounds with appropriate drugs, stick-n-shock, APDS, ex-ex, and various grenades, chemicals, and such. such investments can *really* pay off in a big way. certainly, you can shadowrun without them, but if your hacker absolutely *must* have the best in hacking gear, i can only assume that the rest of your team should likewise not be skimping on their gear. 600 nuyen could very well be only 6 (full auto) bursts or 3 IPs of suppressive fire, depending on the ammo type.

Point taken, but the last hacker/rigger I played ended up with a 40,000 nuyen.gif debt to the face just repairing drones. God forbid I put program upkeep on top of that.
Jaid
kingboy: it doesn't say it gives a penalty to attempts to reduce your datatrail only when you're pressed for time. it doesn't say it only applies some of the time. therefore, it applies any time you attempt to reduce your datatrail, be that before, after, or during the hack. now, given you haven't likely used your programs before the hack, you're good to go (though it will still not block the datatrail from your previous hack).

but if it just says it makes it harder to cover up your datatrail, then it just makes it harder to cover up your datatrail. it doesn't make it harder only when you choose to apply it, it makes it harder all the time. if they only wanted it to be harder to cover up your datatrail some of the time, then they would have said that it makes it harder to cover up the datatrail some of the time. and really, it makes sense; they don't have just *your* AID to work from, they have a signature of each program they used. you can change your AID, but it doesn't block their attempt to track you down, because they've got 20 other AIDs (or whatever signature those registered programs leave) that points to your new AID (or 5, or 10, or whatever... switching programs is not all that improbable. if they put a simple databomb on an encrypted file, you're using browse, analyse, decrypt, defuse, edit, and probably stealth. that's for a single action. if you should also happen to get detected and need to boot up your combat stuff? armor, (and/or) biofeedback filter, and attack get added in. if you have to find the right network in the first place? scan, sniffer. need to get into the node to begin with? we can add exploit to your list. it doesn't take much to start building up a large list of programs that you've had to use to perform relatively simple hacks. and functionally, there isn't much difference between +10 threshold and +20... you aren't likely to pull off either in any case, so it's a bit irrelevant)

and i still think it's an oversight that system and firewall cannot have registration applied. essentially, you are saying that it is deliberate that you can make as many copies of system and firewall as you feel like, and nobody is going to object to you copying their OS over and over and over. tell you what, you go try and convince your workplace that using pirated copies of windows is not going to be a problem, and let's see where that gets you, 'kay? i agree that the rules currently seem to state that it doesn't work that way, however. i just don't think it was intended.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Wiseman @ Jun 13 2009, 04:25 AM) *
Plausible deniability?

Ares can appear to be cracking down on these rogue hackers using these programs to appease the CC, and still be paying others to use the same programs to continue to do the same.

PR departments thrive of scapegoats... How many other crimes that Horizon suspected Ares of funding can they pin on one maverick hacker with a clear disregard for established standards.

Horizon knows Ares is running..everyone knows that Ares is running covert operations against Horizon with lethal force. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone - it is in encyclopedias, etc, etc. We have books about the cold war, in 2070, there is the shadow war.

There are actually TV shows about how Ares hires people to murder Horizon employees and blow up their shit.

Why the hell does Ares need deny something it actually makes a TV show about doing. If you're going to deny something, producing a documentary about how you do it is probably pretty stupid. Don't you think of Ares wanted deniability they wouldn't make TV shows about hiring shadowrunners and broadcast it on global TV networks? That may be construed as tipping your hand slightly. But it gets better - if the TV show isn't good enough, you can buy World of Blowing Up Horizons Shit and Murdering their Dudes, and for an annual subscription fee play a MMORPG about being hired by corporations to set other corporations and their gear on fire.

And it's not like they are any legal repercussions. What the hell is Horizon going to do about it? Hire knight errant to go arrest some.. actually that isn't going to work like at all what with the extra territoriality thing and all. It would be like arresting Regan for smuggling arms to Afgan insurgents to blow up russians with. Actually it wouldn't be like, it's exactly the same. The US got busted over the bay of pigs - but for Ares, that isn't even a crime. It's a whoops, thats a crap performance because you failed to top the regime for them, rather than whoops I got busted doing something illegal.

The situation is directly comparable to the cold war. Everyone frikken knew that the russians were running agents in the west and visa versa. You tried to stop that stuff, but you couldn't arrest Regan because you found some spies.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 13 2009, 01:00 PM) *
and i still think it's an oversight that system and firewall cannot have registration applied. essentially, you are saying that it is deliberate that you can make as many copies of system and firewall as you feel like, and nobody is going to object to you copying their OS over and over and over. tell you what, you go try and convince your workplace that using pirated copies of windows is not going to be a problem, and let's see where that gets you, 'kay? i agree that the rules currently seem to state that it doesn't work that way, however. i just don't think it was intended.

They do. Your OS + Firewall (etc) is YOUR AID.

Those being cracked (or not) don't modify the threshold to finding you because they're matrix attributes, but programs you invoke, load, unload, and use. You simply cannot perform matrix actions without them.
Jaid
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 13 2009, 12:36 PM) *
They do. Your OS + Firewall (etc) is YOUR AID.

Those being cracked (or not) don't modify the threshold to finding you because they're matrix attributes, but programs you invoke, load, unload, and use. You simply cannot perform matrix actions without them.

someone uses an attack program on you scoring 3 hits. you roll response + firewall for defense, 2 hits, you're taking his attack rating + 1 damage. you roll system + armor to resist damage. you just used your firewall, and your system. all without even spending an action.

which is still a moot point, because as written you still can't register them; they're not hacking, common, simsense, or autosoft programs. as such, they cannot have any options, including copy protection and registration.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 13 2009, 01:56 PM) *
someone uses an attack program on you scoring 3 hits. you roll response + firewall for defense, 2 hits, you're taking his attack rating + 1 damage. you roll system + armor to resist damage. you just used your firewall, and your system. all without even spending an action.

which is still a moot point, because as written you still can't register them; they're not hacking, common, simsense, or autosoft programs. as such, they cannot have any options, including copy protection and registration.

You don't use a firewall to defend against attacks, that's like saying that you dodge bullets because you roll your Reaction score.

Rather, you employ a firewall to prevent attacks.

Or to put it another way:
The firewall is always doing what it does. There's not button you need to push that says "defend against that attack."
Jaid
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 13 2009, 02:38 PM) *
You don't use a firewall to defend against attacks, that's like saying that you dodge bullets because you roll your Reaction score.

Rather, you employ a firewall to prevent attacks.

Or to put it another way:
The firewall is always doing what it does. There's not button you need to push that says "defend against that attack."

you use reaction to dodge a bullet. you use firewall to dodge a matrix attack. i'm not seeing what the huge deal is here. if it has your firewall in the test, you are using your firewall. the firewall is presumably interacting with something external, because your skill certainly doesn't come into it. clearly, the firewall is doing something. whether you had to order it to do something or not isn't the point. it still did something. i don't have to consciously order my heart to beat, but that doesn't mean my heart isn't beating. it just means i'm not ordering it to beat consciously. if some sort of test were based on whether my heart is beating or not, it wouldn't matter whether i was consciously thinking for it to beat, it would merely matter whether or not it beats. likewise, it doesn't matter whether you consciously order your firewall to do something, it merely matters whether your firewall does something or not.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 13 2009, 02:45 PM) *
you use reaction to dodge a bullet. you use firewall to dodge a matrix attack. i'm not seeing what the huge deal is here. if it has your firewall in the test, you are using your firewall. the firewall is presumably interacting with something external, because your skill certainly doesn't come into it. clearly, the firewall is doing something. whether you had to order it to do something or not isn't the point. it still did something. i don't have to consciously order my heart to beat, but that doesn't mean my heart isn't beating. it just means i'm not ordering it to beat consciously. if some sort of test were based on whether my heart is beating or not, it wouldn't matter whether i was consciously thinking for it to beat, it would merely matter whether or not it beats. likewise, it doesn't matter whether you consciously order your firewall to do something, it merely matters whether your firewall does something or not.

Not the difference between "something did something for me" and "I use something to do something."
Kerenshara
You know, I read the OP and then started skimming a way down as it got a little off topic, but here's a problem I have, and it has to do with an observation made WAY up the thread:

Logic is the ability to organize, process and remember detailed information. It makes sense that the skills related to building comlinks and their accessories and writing code should be based on that statistic.

Intuition is the ability to think creatively and adapt quickly, often involving intuitive level analysis and response. It covers the ability to make things up as you go along (improvise).

It was mentioned that in 2070 programs are almost autonomous, and I would point out that the speed of cybercombat is going to be lightning fast. The ability to do a extended-test hack for access makes sense to key to the ability to methodically probe for weaknesses in the Firewall. But in an on-the-fly hack? The ability to anticipate intuitively the opponent's probably responses and react aprorpiately requires "situational awareness", so I would think cybercombat and actions taken in the initiative pass would key to INT instead of LOG. I mean, that's one half of the INI stat, right?

I LIKE the point that was made about program autonomy, because it seems to fit the descriptions in the most recent fluff. And I support the idea of bringing the stat in to the cyber-game. The way I would propose it would be that anything extended keys to LOG, while anything in Passes keys to INT; I would handle the tests as Stat+Skill, with a limit to stat of RTG. If you KNOW what to do but your tools aren't up to the task, then you're hosed, so that's how I would handle it. Put another way, an inexperienced and uncreative kid with top-flight software is going to be hard pressed against a really veteran pro who has learned to think on her feet and make the best of her slightly less capable programs. Now, for things that are exclusively based on RTG (I am thinking Armor and things like that) nothing would really change.

Anyhow, that's MY take on it. Your actual milage will varry dramatically.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 13 2009, 03:27 PM) *
Anyhow, that's MY take on it. Your actual milage will varry dramatically.[/font]

Thumbs up to that. Very well thought out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012