Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FastJack Lore
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CodeBreaker
Right, so I understand that old 'Jack is one of the best the Decking world has to offer, and that he is damn powerful when it comes to the Shadows in general, but I was wondering what book/supplement would be best if I wanted to read up about his history a bit more?

For example I read somewhere that he really rose to prominance about 2051. Why is that? Is it done in one of the Novels or all through Shadowtalk? If its done in Shadowtalk what books is it done through?
BishopMcQ
You know, I really love the Search Feature when I know what I'm looking for. Keyword: FastJack, Sort by Poster: Ancient History. (Admittedly, it's other uses may not be as helpful)

It nets great things like this short story.. A fun story about FastJack as an old man, doing that thing he does, but more importantly it gives a feeling for who FastJack is. Beyond this and what the search pulls up, I would point you to the 6th World Wiki entry for FastJack. The Wiki also lists sourcebooks to limit how much you have to search.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Please understand that I'm punch-drunk tired, and am not being snarky.
The Jake
I'd like to know why Fastjack doesn't pay for Leonization. God knows he could afford it.

- J.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jun 10 2009, 02:02 AM) *
I'd like to know why Fastjack doesn't pay for Leonization. God knows he could afford it.

- J.

Deckers don't need Leonization to be immortal.
The Jake
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jun 10 2009, 11:02 AM) *
Deckers don't need Leonization to be immortal.

Please elaborate.

- J.
GreyBrother
May i take a guess?
A truly legendary Hacker does not need Leonisation because he will always be remembered by his peers.
Demonseed Elite
Exactly, to Fastjack, staying young probably isn't as important. After all, meat is meat, but he makes his livelihood in a world without physical age. SOTA is the real bitch in realm of deckers.

Besides, if Fastjack really wants to live forever, I bet he'd look into finding a way to become a Ghost in the Machine rather than Leonization.
Hagga
I suspect that one of the Freelancers will get absolutely s**tfaced and someone will not read a passage properly, and it'll be enshrined in a book that Fastjack died, but came back after imprinting his personality on Deus somehow despite Deus being dead.
MJBurrage
If the game world goes on long enough the rumors will start that Fastjack is no longer a living human, but rather a Ghost in the Machine AI. Some will claim that his now ancient body is still being kept alive somewhere as a biologic home-node for for his AI. The debate will become, not if he is still alive in any normal sense, but when did his body die.

Note, the above thoughts are based on one of my favorite hackers from Cyberpunk fiction; Trent the Uncatchable. (The appellation was given to him by others, not self-adopted) In Shadowrun terms he was a hacker with Genetic Heritage who's first agent became a full-fledged independent AI. He eventually merged with his second agent (a limited AI), becoming a Ghost in the Machine.
knasser
I'm still convinced that FastJack is really Damian Knight. I can't remember where I first read that theory but I've always liked it.

As to why he doesn't spring for Leonisation. Out of setting, I'd guess that the writer(s) just like having an old character being old and carefully overlooked all the options for rejuventation. But Leonisation etc. isn't an eternal cure. You can't keep using it forever. In one piece of fiction, FastJack talks about being taken to see dinosaur skeletons at the museum as a kid, before everything went to virtual displays. He's old.

(But still the best). biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Jun 10 2009, 07:22 PM) *
If the game world goes on long enough the rumors will start that Fastjack is no longer a living human, but rather a Ghost in the Machine AI. Some will claim that his now ancient body is still being kept alive somewhere as a biologic home-node for for his AI. The debate will become, not if he is still alive in any normal sense, but when did his body die.

Note, the above thoughts are based on one of my favorite hackers from Cyberpunk fiction; Trent the Uncatchable. (The appellation was given to him by others, not self-adopted) In Shadowrun terms he was a hacker with Genetic Heritage who's first agent became a full-fledged independent AI. He eventually merged with his second agent (a limited AI), becoming a Ghost in the Machine.

Reminds me of rache bartmoss of cp2020 fame...

Ah, missed your note there. Trent is indeed somewhat interesting, tho the series seems to have gone a bit metaphysical (and slowed to a near crawl)...
CodeBreaker
Decided just to throw out a line and try and hook a good sourcebook from the depths of the internet. Went with Target: Matrix. I really would say that anyone who intends to roleplay a Hacker for 4th Edition grab this (and a few others, but I cant comment on them yet) simply because it contains the history of the Matrix and just how different the Internet of our world is compared to how it developed in Shadowruns. The two are completely different entities, hell the Dotcom era basically didnt even happen. Puts a lot of the things I have been reading in things like Unwired into perspective.

(Plus its given me some groundwork to play with when I design my "Stoneage" Matrix systems that I intend to use on a game I want to run. What happens when my Runners find themselves in an old UCAS military base that may or may not contain an AI Knowbot? Lets find out!)
The Jake
Given how skilled 'Jack is, I am little doubt the guy is sitting on piles of cash.

Even maintaining SOTA, running JackPoint, the guy would be skilled enough to have anything he could want. I've seen hackers in our games with admin backdoors on Lone Star and key nodes within several megas (requiring a lot of upkeep to maintain but maintaining them all the same). This is at the upper end obviously.

Given the hosts he has acknowledged having compromised in the various books over the years, its safe to assume he would have to be one of the richest runners - with perhaps the notable exception being the Chromed Accountant.

Finally, if he does consciously choose to never pay for Leonization, then it would be best for him to die and acknowledge his passing. Using the Ghost In The Shell schtick is far too cliched (Captain Chaos anyone?).

- J.
The Jake
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jun 10 2009, 03:02 PM) *
I suspect that one of the Freelancers will get absolutely s**tfaced and someone will not read a passage properly, and it'll be enshrined in a book that Fastjack died, but came back after imprinting his personality on Deus somehow despite Deus being dead.

Only because a) its already been done in Shadowrun and b) in general fiction, the whole concept has been overused.

For an old timer like Fastjack, I'd like to see him given due honors. Transferring his consciousness to an AI would be a tragic, ignominious end to such a great character.

- J.
Ancient History
That particular short story was directly inspired by Solstice by James Patrick Kelly - I had just gotten a copy of Mirrorshades in paperback - and was originally written on the back of a set of Yahoo! Map directions on a three-day drive from Florida to upstate New York. We were going up to see my brother off to his first tour in Iraq (he got back safe and sound). The character Perri, of course, comes from the Denver: City of Shadows boxed set, which arguably is when FastJack made the transition from a memorable decker to a legendary one.
The Jake
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 11 2009, 02:25 AM) *
That particular short story was directly inspired by Solstice by James Patrick Kelly - I had just gotten a copy of Mirrorshades in paperback - and was originally written on the back of a set of Yahoo! Map directions on a three-day drive from Florida to upstate New York. We were going up to see my brother off to his first tour in Iraq (he got back safe and sound). The character Perri, of course, comes from the Denver: City of Shadows boxed set, which arguably is when FastJack made the transition from a memorable decker to a legendary one.

It's a good story. smile.gif

AH, since we got you here, please promise us that Fastjack will never go the route of an e-Ghost. frown.gif

- J.
Ancient History
I promise I will never make FastJack an e-ghost.
The Jake
Thankyou. smile.gif

I'll push my luck with another random question - what does Fastjack do in his spare time?

- J.
hobgoblin
play p&p rpgs with his old high school buds, ryan and ethan wink.gif

btw, its never been confirmed that chaos have gone ghost...
CodeBreaker
Maybe not, but it is heavily hinted. He got hit by JackBNimble, and he gets quite a few mentions in some Shadowtalk.

Something I noticed the other day, after remembering a thread discussing which if any JackPoint user the books are written from the perspective of (I.E who the JackPoint user is) and I saw something at the beginning of Unwired.

ComStar Firewall Alert
Your commlink defenses have been
breached by an unknown intruder.
Offensive Countermeasures Initiated.
Trace Initiated.
Jackhammer Loaded.
Do You Wish to Engage? Y/N

Now, if I know my basic lore stuff, JackHammer is the Attack program FastJack uses isnt it? Whats the chances of him handing that out? I wouldnt imagine very high. Is it possible that the JackPoint user is written from 'Jacks perspective? Explains why the Anti-Virus program being run is called Jack-in-the-Box as well.
TKDNinjaInBlack
QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jun 10 2009, 09:06 PM) *
Now, if I know my basic lore stuff, JackHammer is the Attack program FastJack uses isnt it? Whats the chances of him handing that out? I wouldnt imagine very high. Is it possible that the JackPoint user is written from 'Jacks perspective? Explains why the Anti-Virus program being run is called Jack-in-the-Box as well.

Interesting and intuitive theory...
hobgoblin
nah, i think a im/mail in one book have the "narrator" forward a hacker request to someone as he was not one himself...
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 11 2009, 05:02 AM) *
nah, i think a im/mail in one book have the "narrator" forward a hacker request to someone as he was not one himself...

I find it weird that a non-hacker not only runs about with one of 'Jacks old Attack programs, but also;

Trace Initiated
... Proxy Server Identified. [Details]
... Initiating Proxy Server Traffic Analysis

Has a script for engaging in Cybercombat and can run a decent Trace talker.gif
Method
So maybe I'm completely wrong but isn't there some mention somewhere of FastJack being a spike baby?
Cadmus
Well maybe he's a hacker, Not a decker, after all we all know shadowrun hackers are just script kiddies smile.gif

damn kids
knasser
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 11 2009, 06:51 AM) *
So maybe I'm completely wrong but isn't there some mention somewhere of FastJack being a spike baby?

Not that I recall and his ageing indicates he's neither Dwarf nor Elf (the only possible spike babies), unless he's lying about ageing which is clearly not the intended impression.

I suspect you're thinking of Dodger from early edition fame and the Secrets of Power trilogy, also a very skilled hacker. He was confirmed as a Spike Baby and his oddity when growing up was one of the reasons for how he turned out and his relationship with other elves.
The Jake
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 11 2009, 05:51 AM) *

That was Dodger.

- J.
Method
Ah yes you guys are correct. It was Dodger. I was misremembering.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jun 11 2009, 06:22 AM) *
I find it weird that a non-hacker not only runs about with one of 'Jacks old Attack programs, but also;

Trace Initiated
... Proxy Server Identified. [Details]
... Initiating Proxy Server Traffic Analysis

Has a script for engaging in Cybercombat and can run a decent Trace talker.gif

high rating agent packing attack(or black hammer) and trace?
marinco
God I wish I could just sit down and read all the previous books for this kinda of fluff.
hobgoblin
btw, i checked target: matrix, and there fastjacks program was called jack hammer, while in unwired its jackhammer...
TKDNinjaInBlack
QUOTE (Fastjack [i]Augmentation p. 150[/i])

All this talk of brains in jars is vaguely familiar but I can’t put my
finger on it. Must be old age setting in. I’ll have to shift through my
old storage and see if anything comes up.

I think Fastjack is just a brain in a jar.
hobgoblin
or it could be a reference to the doc that was putting childrens brains in jars for experimental reasons...
TKDNinjaInBlack
It probably is. I was just being goofy.

As in: How can he put his finger on it... IF HE DOESN'T HAVE A FINGER ANYMORE!!!!1!! OMG HE'S A BRAIN IN A JAR!

Sorry, the kids being too literal in my TKD classes are kind of rubbing off on me...
cleggster

Ok, maybe someone will remember this for me. I seem to recall that in the end of System Failure, Fastjack's brain was trapped in a computer or memory chip of some kind. So apparently he is out. Seeing as he runs Jackpoint. What happened and what book mentions it?

Thanks

GreyBrother
That was the Cap.
Matsci
QUOTE (cleggster @ Aug 13 2009, 11:03 PM) *
Ok, maybe someone will remember this for me. I seem to recall that in the end of System Failure, Fastjack's brain was trapped in a computer or memory chip of some kind. So apparently he is out. Seeing as he runs Jackpoint. What happened and what book mentions it?

Thanks

That was Captain Chaos, who was "saved" as a backup by a program called JackBeNimble. Different Person.
PirateChef
How do we know that Fastjack hasn't gotten Leonisation? I mean, he would still act the same, think the same, he would just have a younger body, right? And if I remember, no one has ever seen him physically (that we know of).

As far as how powerful he is: Fastjack was friends with / possibly part of the team that designed the Matrix after the Crash 1.0. I remember reading somewhere, or maybe it was just a rumor, that he basically installed the optimization code that used to be for attack programs, you know, the one where your program wouldn't work against you?. Yeah, supposedly he wrote into the underlying coding for the matrix, so that something like 90% of attack programs just fail if used against him.

I do remember reading in the Renraku Shutdown book, a section where he gets into it with a few Otaku and boots them off the matrix without much effort, saying "Jackhammer - works every time."
Snow_Fox
Fastjack was a legendary decker in RL 1989 and game time 2050. The idea that someone can hold on to being cutting edge, leading the pack in a high tech world for more than a quarter of a century is outstanding. 'Super Calss A hacker" i htink is one phrase for it. We don't know how old he was when he started. We assume a grown man, most people agree he's a 'he.' but what if he were only a 14 year old or young, protootaku then? Think about it, you finally meet the great man, legend of the shadows and he's a 12 year old nerd?

1st ed did have the ability to 'surf naked' that is deck without a deck using just your own brain someone risking that might have gained an unearthly knowledge of the net.

There's a quote from J.D. Salinger springs to mind.

OR

Possibly there has been more than one Fastjack in the shdows, that too keep ahead of the curbe he picks an apprentice and this new Fastjack takes over. The orignal Fastjack has retired to Patagonia 20 years ago.

Phylos Fett
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Aug 14 2009, 09:29 PM) *
Possibly there has been more than one Fastjack in the shdows, that too keep ahead of the curbe he picks an apprentice and this new Fastjack takes over. The orignal Fastjack has retired to Patagonia 20 years ago.

I do like a good Dread Pirate!
Snow_Fox
you gotta do something after being in the revenge business
Link
Good night, Good work. Sleep well, I'll most likely jack-hammer you in the morning.
Phylos Fett
Inconceivable!
Blade
I've been thinking about Fastjack's ambiguous statement about his involvment in the Echo Mirage. He says that he wasn't a member of Echo Mirage but he adds something that means he's probably met them. One of the explanations I've found would be that Fastjack was part of the Echo Mirage project, if not a member of the strike team. In that line of thought, he might have been the programmer of Mirage, the support program that became an A.I.
Dumori
He could have been a candidate for the strike team. Anyhow we know he was born in 1999.
CanRay
Well, he's hinted that he has family, and does go offline to take care of his siblings children (On very rare occasions.).

Of course, that could just be a simple blind from the real truth.

Most likely, he's on the same island as the Chromed Accountant, sipping Mai Tais and enjoying being a dirty old bastard. nyahnyah.gif
Prime Mover
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 10 2009, 07:09 PM) *
Reminds me of rache bartmoss of cp2020 fame...

Ah, missed your note there. Trent is indeed somewhat interesting, tho the series seems to have gone a bit metaphysical (and slowed to a near crawl)...

Rache was the best and his commentary in hacking book was priceless, including his dive thorugh a window that tore loose his datajack and left some ganglia exposed. probably the catalyst for his seeing aliens on the net. And his ending was priceless, remember running the game were his evil cat (and hacked neighbors) held off the runners while he still hacked (ok dead but still did some failsafe hacking) from his frozen body in the fridge. All just before his apt building went ka-boom from the orbital strike. (sniff-sniff latest edition of cp20xx just doesn't do it for me like original , I still open the big box of cyber books from time to time. Amazing how much was lifted straight to SR.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Aug 14 2009, 04:01 PM) *
Rache was the best and his commentary in hacking book was priceless, including his dive thorugh a window that tore loose his datajack and left some ganglia exposed. probably the catalyst for his seeing aliens on the net. And his ending was priceless, remember running the game were his evil cat (and hacked neighbors) held off the runners while he still hacked (ok dead but still did some failsafe hacking) from his frozen body in the fridge. All just before his apt building went ka-boom from the orbital strike. (sniff-sniff latest edition of cp20xx just doesn't do it for me like original , I still open the big box of cyber books from time to time. Amazing how much was lifted straight to SR.

and they say V3 is over the top?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Blade @ Aug 14 2009, 02:54 PM) *
I've been thinking about Fastjack's ambiguous statement about his involvment in the Echo Mirage. He says that he wasn't a member of Echo Mirage but he adds something that means he's probably met them. One of the explanations I've found would be that Fastjack was part of the Echo Mirage project, if not a member of the strike team. In that line of thought, he might have been the programmer of Mirage, the support program that became an A.I.

or he could have been active online in some other capacity during the virus days.

was it ever determined that he met them in the flesh, or just online?
hobgoblin
edit: never mind, posted before thinking...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012