Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Different Clip Sizes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
kevyn668
According to SR3, clips cost 5 nuyen.gif . They don't vary by capacity or calibre. So then could I purchase a larger clip for around double the capacity? For instance, the Savalette, keep that 15 shot clip for everyday use and the 5 Conceal it provides but on a heavy run (full armor, SMGs, what have you, even if you're sneaking in) where its your backup, why not have 30 rounds if you don't car about the Conceal. Like the Glock MP or the HK USP/MP.

Better yet, a SMG or AR thats drum-fed. I don't know what kind of effects that has on aim/balance/etc. I've just been seeing them an awful lot in movies/TV/etc. In my defense, I tend to think of SR like that. It can be an over the top action or a suspenseful mystery but it all still reminds me of a TV show or a movie.

Same thing for the Opposite. I'm a big fan of the M20T Smartgun. Its probably the most cost effective gun out there. But I don't like the Conceal rating at 5. Don't get me wrong, like it, but i guess I don't agree w/ it. So why not have a 15 shot clip, kinda like they do in RL, if I'm not mistaken. That way I can have it in a quick release sling (barrel pointed down) and not have to worry about the clip sicking out in the back (-2 to Con). Or, if you like the Conceal rating where it is, just give a bonus. +1 or +2 should be more than enough.

Thoughts?
Raygun
First of all, the price of 5 ¥ per clip (detachable box magazine) is pretty rediculous for a brand new magazine for just about any firearm. Even though they usually are only pieces of formed, heat-treated sheet steel or molded plastic and springs, they tend to cost more than five bucks to produce, let alone distribute. I say magazines cost 15 ¥ per mag at the very least, with most being 25 ¥. Still nominal, but not quite so silly. Depending upon how heavily restricted firearms are in a particular region (if you bother with that sort of thing), you might bump costs up with a Street Index of at least 2. Of course, used magazines are generally cheaper.

As for higher-capacity magazines being available, they certainly should be for most auto/semi-auto firearms. Reduced capacity magazines should be available as well. For instance, AK-based rifles normally use a 30-round magazine. There are 5, 10, 20, 40, and 55 round magazines commonly available for 7.62x39mm AK rifles. These magazines, especially the 30-40 rounders, seem to be coming out of people's ears these days, but you're still unlikely to find a new one for less than ten bucks.

As a general rule, I would say that extended magazines are available at +35% capacity (round down) for +50% cost at no loss to concealability. So you could get a 16-round extended magazine for your Savalette Guardian for 22.50 ¥ (45 ¥ in the more restricted regions). Beyond that capacity, I would start chopping off conceal points.

Reduced capacity magazines won't make any difference in concealability for pistols, but for some SMGs, assault rifles and battle rifles, it might be more logical to knock off a point. For most, it shouldn't make any difference. But for some, like the Ingram 20t and other smallish, through-grip magazine SMGs, it should. I don't allow the 5 Conceal Rating for the Ingram unless it is using 15-20 round magazines, and I consider the "normal" 32 round magazine to be extended, with a -1 conceal. Using an even higher capacity magazine (43 rounds using the rules above) might call for an additional -1 conceal. Just a judgement call there.

C-Mags, very high capacity (100 rounds), dual-drum magazines, are available for most assault/battle rifles and some SMGs in my games. 200 ¥, -2 Conceal, +2 kg (SMG/AR), +3 kg (BR). After hearing numerous tales of misfeeding/jamming problems with C-Mags in Afghanistan and Iraq, I tend to give players trouble if they go crazy with them. But that's up to you.
moosegod
Actually, I've heard so much bad info about the c-mags, I'm suprised anyone still uses them.
Centurion
So, generally speaking, in common assault rifle calibers, what is the largest magazine that's also consistant and reliable?
Raygun
QUOTE (moosegod)
Actually, I've heard so much bad info about the c-mags, I'm suprised anyone still uses them.

Yeah, I tend to hear more bad than good myself. But then, if people are satisfied, they don't tend to go on about it. As far as the game is concerned, a lot can be solved in 60 years of development time, should you choose to look at it that way.

QUOTE (Centurion)
So, generally speaking, in common assault rifle calibers, what is the largest magazine that's also consistant and reliable?

From what I hear, US troops are commonly told to down-load their 30 round M16/M4 magazines to 28 rounds for reliability reasons. The same magazine is NATO-standardized and is used in the majority of 5.56x45mm rifles in the world. HK recently redesigned the magazine for the SA80A2 rebuild. It has a longer body and is designed to reliably feed all 30 rounds, though I hear they're still having problems with the rifles.

So I guess the answer to your question isn't very cut and dry. I've personally used several different manufacturer's magazines in AR15's (semi-auto M16). Sometimes I have problems, sometimes I don't. It's a crapshoot. On the other side, I have several 30-round magazines for an AKM I've had for almost a year now (and put upwards of 2,000 rounds through at this point) and it has yet to jam or misfeed on me.
Modesitt
Raygun is on the money for real life and gives good advice on how the rules should work.

...But as far as the rules as written are concerned, you can't buy an 'extended clip'. Instead, you can modify your gun to take extended clips, costing 10 nuyen per extra bullet. To add insult to injury, you need a SHOP to do this, not a kit. Cannon Companion, pg 81. Amusingly enough, this doesn't alter concealability OR weight a bit and there's a flat limit of 50 shots in a clip. Once you've got some spare cash, take your Morrissey Elite to your favorite gun smith and have him multiply that 5 shot clip by 10. For more fun, you may want to take a holdout pistol with a clip to your gun smith and get it a mega clip too.

Note that this will only fly if your GM is psychotic about sticking to canon and/or you drug him first.
Solstice
For my rifle I've found 20 rounders to be the most reliable. I own several 30s and 50s but they tend to not feed toward the last 5 rounds. This is due to spring fatigue and I can assure you the springs in the 50 rounders fatigue very quickly. I would stick with 20-30 rounders. Oh and don't store them loaded if you dont have a good reason..this accelerates spring fatigue.
kevyn668
Raygun Posted on Jan 22 2004, 01:18 AM

Reduced capacity magazines won't make any difference in concealability for pistols, but for some SMGs, assault rifles and battle rifles, it might be more logical to knock off a point. For most, it shouldn't make any difference. But for some, like the Ingram 20t and other smallish, through-grip magazine SMGs, it should. I don't allow the 5 Conceal Rating for the Ingram unless it is using 15-20 round magazines, and I consider the "normal" 32 round magazine to be extended, with a -1 conceal. Using an even higher capacity magazine (43 rounds using the rules above) might call for an additional -1 conceal. Just a judgement call there.

C-Mags, very high capacity (100 rounds), dual-drum magazines, are available for most assault/battle rifles and some SMGs in my games. 200 ¥, -2 Conceal, +2 kg (SMG/AR), +3 kg (BR). After hearing numerous tales of misfeeding/jamming problems with C-Mags in Afghanistan and Iraq, I tend to give players trouble if they go crazy with them. But that's up to you.

Cool. I had been kicking some numbers around in my head and wanted a second opinion. preferably from someone w/ RL experience. Thanks.

Modesitt Posted on Jan 22 2004, 01:51 AM
  Raygun is on the money for real life and gives good advice on how the rules should work.

...But as far as the rules as written are concerned, you can't buy an 'extended clip'. Instead, you can modify your gun to take extended clips, costing 10 nuyen per extra bullet. To add insult to injury, you need a SHOP to do this, not a kit. Cannon Companion, pg 81. Amusingly enough, this doesn't alter concealability OR weight a bit and there's a flat limit of 50 shots in a clip. Once you've got some spare cash, take your Morrissey Elite to your favorite gun smith and have him multiply that 5 shot clip by 10. For more fun, you may want to take a holdout pistol with a clip to your gun smith and get it a mega clip too.

Boooo. frown.gif

BTW, in RL, I am the GM. smile.gif Its just of one the many minor rules that nag at me. Like there's no modifying an existing SA weapon to fire BF or FA. You have to make one from scratch. I don't even know if the CC allows for that!

The idea behind this is that every now and then it'd be cool (if not downright helpful) if the mage (or the Face or the Decker, etc) w/ the pistol could laydown some coverfire. OR put 5 or 6 rounds into the Troll Sam that thinks he's the drek b/c he has Spell defense from his mage. OR put 5 or 6 rounds into that pesky troll mage (the Troll sam's brother, natch) that is providing the Spell Defense.

Actually, I guess there are lots of situations where having a full auto 9M pistol would come in handy. What if, in the interest of game balance, the things could only accept up to a gas vent 2. I'm not proposing, just theorizing.

Siege
Look at the Sav. Guardian (my personal fav) or the Ruger Thunderbolt.

Heavy Pistols capable of burst fire.

I've seen video of a conversion kit for Glocks to be modified to full-auto, so if you wish to modify your house rules to reflect that, more power to you.

Most people on here would scream game balance and say nay. I have a hard enough time getting my GM to let me play with the Sav. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Solstice
almost any SA firearm can be modified for FA. BF is a different animal though.
Raygun
QUOTE (Siege)
I've seen video of a conversion kit for Glocks to be modified to full-auto, so if you wish to modify your house rules to reflect that, more power to you.

There are rules for the FSSG on my site. In my games, it can be used on the "C variant" Glocks or with aftermarket compensators.
Tanka
QUOTE (Solstice)

Don't you mean that the other way around?
kevyn668
Solstice Posted on Jan 22 2004, 03:43 AM

Thats the impression I've always had. Stupid canon rules. ::shakes fist:: I also think that 10 nuyen.gif a bullet for clip extension is a bunch of crap--in my understanding, it has little to do w/ the gun. According to you (Sol) and Raygun it seems to be as simple as slapping a bigger box in. Of course, then you guys get into "spring degradation"...that makes me sad. Stupid Laws of Physics. ::shakes fist::

tanka Posted on Jan 22 2004, 03:46 AM
  QUOTE (Solstice)

I think he got it right. Thats why FA weapons were around before BF. Its something to do w/ internal mechanisms. Like, for some reason its easier to get the gun to keep spitting bullets than it is to get it to spit just three. Kinda like eating potato chips. smile.gif
Tanka
Fair enough.

*glances at half empty bag of Doritos*

Damn your fuzzy logic...
Luke Hardison
Aren't Doritos made of corn?
Tanka
Corn chip, potato chip. It's all the same idea!
Luke Hardison
But can you buy them in an extended chip size? Wasn't that the question of the thread?

*smacks self* No more puns! rotfl.gif
kevyn668
Luke Hardison Posted on Jan 22 2004, 04:03 AM
  Aren't Doritos made of corn?

You shouldn't make me Edit, Luke. You wouldn't like me when I'm editing. ork.gif

nyahnyah.gif
Tanka
Hey now, no stereotypical Trolls or I'll report you to MOM!
kevyn668
Et tu, Bruti? Er, Et tu tanka? Now you want me to Edit....fine.

Well, crap. I never thought of it like that...I guess he does sort of resemble a stereotypical Troll. 9 or 10 feet tall, super human strength and resilience, green skin, hmmm...no horns though. ork.gif

Tanka
You forgot the "no people skills" and "highly unintelligent" bits too.

Or maybe he just has a Pain Editor active when he's mad?
kevyn668
Yeah, I ment to add "angers easily" and "is extremely violent when angry" but it slipped my mind as I raced off to edit my last post.
Luke Hardison
So what you're saying is, "Once he pops, he can't stop." ?

Dangit, there it goes again.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Jan 21 2004, 10:43 PM)

Basically the bolt of the weapon (the thing that retract and extract the spent shell casing, then moves forward chambering the next round) has a 'catch' that prevents it from firing again. On semi-auto weapons the bolt catch works 'every time' while on full auto weapons the bolt catch works 'hardly at all' (why a lot of early full auto weapons were auto only or 'unreliably semi'). To have the weapon fire a controlled burst of X number of rounds, your bolt catch has to figure out how many round it has fired already.
Tanka
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
QUOTE (tanka @ Jan 22 2004, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Jan 21 2004, 10:43 PM)

Basically the bolt of the weapon (the thing that retract and extract the spent shell casing, then moves forward chambering the next round) has a 'catch' that prevents it from firing again. On semi-auto weapons the bolt catch works 'every time' while on full auto weapons the bolt catch works 'hardly at all' (why a lot of early full auto weapons were auto only or 'unreliably semi'). To have the weapon fire a controlled burst of X number of rounds, your bolt catch has to figure out how many round it has fired already.

Yeah, I kind of caught that with kevyn's post. My brain isn't working right now because I just finished up a nice drone that should be fun to toy with.

On topic: I do find it silly that a clip for any gun that uses a clip is 5 nuyen, no matter the size. So suddenly I can slap on in my Tiffany Self-Defender, or throw it in my HMG, and they'll use the right amount of rounds both times.

Very, very silly.
kevyn668
Cool. Thanks CB. I was sorta right, my explaination wasn't too accurate but I was on the right track.

I'd also like to thank you for getting my thread back on track. smile.gif
Siege
Humorous aside: most mags for my handgun are a bloody sight more than $5.

This suggests so many guns exist that magazines are mass-produced to the point they can be amazingly cheap. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Raygun
QUOTE (kevyn668)
According to you (Sol) and Raygun it seems to be as simple as slapping a bigger box in. Of course, then you guys get into "spring degradation"...that makes me sad. Stupid Laws of Physics. ::shakes fist::

That's pretty much it.

Spring fatigue due to long-term compression really isn't that big of a problem anymore, though. Modern spring steel alloys are so good at keeping their shape that keeping a magazine loaded for years at a time is unlikely to make any perceptible difference. There was an article about that in a magazine recently... I'll have to find it. The problem, of course, is that there are a lot of magazines with cheap, old springs out there. Thank God for Wolff.

However, Solstice is right about very large capacity magazines being more tempermental toward the end of the ammo stack. In order to keep rounds from flying out when the magazine is fully loaded, the pressure on the magazine's follower tends to get pretty low when the mag is almost empty so that the bolt occasionally cycles faster that the spring can push the rounds up against the feed lips. What you get is a misfeed; a round jammed between the mag and the bolt or no round fed into the chamber at all. I wouldn't be suprised if that's the problem people are having with the C-Mags.

QUOTE (tanka)

I think he got it right. Thats why FA weapons were around before BF. Its something to do w/ internal mechanisms. Like, for some reason its easier to get the gun to keep spitting bullets than it is to get it to spit just three. Kinda like eating potato chips. smile.gif

Right. Burst fire requires a ratchet that counts the number of times the hammer is tripped or the bolt is cycled, then it disconnects the trigger from the rest of the firing mechanism after that number is acheived. In a full-auto weapon, you don't need that piece. It just keeps going until you let off the trigger or you run out of ammo. The burst fire mechanism is basically a few extra parts that limit automatic fire.
Crusher Bob
You can sometimes get POS, bent during manufacture, mad.gif, mad.gif, mad.gif , magazines for about 5 buck a pop. Or you could get some that work just fine. A better cost for magazines would be in the 20-40 nuyen.gif range. I will assume that a lot of the minor reliability issuses with large mags will have been worked out by then. A M-23 with a C-mag can make a quick SAW when you can't get anything better.
Solstice
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
has a 'catch' that prevents it from firing again. On semi-auto weapons the bolt catch works 'every time'

the "catch" is known as the "sear".
Solstice
QUOTE (Raygun)

Spring fatigue due to long-term compression really isn't that big of a problem anymore, though. Modern spring steel alloys are so good at keeping their shape that keeping a magazine loaded for years at a time is unlikely to make any perceptible difference. There was an article about that in a magazine recently... I'll have to find it. The problem, of course, is that there are a lot of magazines with cheap, old springs out there.

Well experience tells me your wrong. However, I'm sure if you pay enough you can get an uber spring that lasts much longer, but I'm guessing metallurgy has not made so many leaps and bounds in the past 5 years as to make my comments totally invalid. If you can prove what you say, I'm willing to rephrase.
Raygun
QUOTE (Solstice)
Well experience tells me your wrong. However, I'm sure if you pay enough you can get an uber spring that lasts much longer, but I'm guessing metallurgy has not made so many leaps and bounds in the past 5 years as to make my comments totally invalid. If you can prove what you say, I'm willing to rephrase.

Well obviously, all springs are not created equal, Solstice. I've had springs crap out on me, too. Looking for that article now (might take a few days; I have a few boxes of magazines to look through)...

Here's a page from my own experiences... My dad had a 1911 that he bought surplus in 1959 (an RIA rebuild) and later stuffed away in a closet, mag loaded (and this was a well-used GI mag). Some twenty years later, when I was about tweleve or so, we took the thing out, unloaded it, checked the ammunition (which was still good), put it back in and proceeded to shoot with nary a hiccup. We put the pistol away again, mags loaded. I didn't see that pistol again until I was 18. I took it to a local range, checked the ammo (still good), reloaded and went to town. GI mag fed like a charm. The second mag, a Colt mag that was also loaded for six years, wouldn't feed for shit. Three-points every two or three rounds (a rounded Metalform follower fixed that). I still use that GI mag today, and it works just as well as it did when I was twelve (well, as long as you're using hardball, anyway). No überspring needed. Given, it's only a seven round mag...

I've also read a story (via Jeff Cooper) about a similar thing happening, only with a WWI-era pistol that was stored cocked and locked for a much longer period of time, IIRC.
Austere Emancipator
The standard issue magazines we were distributed were sometimes upwards of 15 years old, and the springs still flew a nice 15 meters when you released the lock on the bottom plate... They weren't being kept loaded for more than ~4 days at a time, and probably not more than ~30 days per year average. Still, there was never any problem whatsoever with the magazines.

The few reviews I've seen and the few comments I've heard about the 75- and 100-round drums for AKs have given me the impression that they do not suffer from a significant lack of reliability compared to 30-round box-magazines. That is: An AK loaded with a 100-round drum will feed more reliably than an M16A2 with a 30-round box that is only loaded with 28 rounds. nyahnyah.gif

Also found this from a site on AK mags: "Both [75- and 100-round drums] can be long-term stored with cartridges, as the magazine spring is not wound up while filling, but later when preparing to use it." So spring degradation has been taken into consideration in the design, but it seems it doesn't happen in a significant degree in the actual AK mags.

I allow extended mags (and drums) for most weapons in my games. I never made a solid ruling on them, but I'll probably adopt the "+1/4 capacity, +½ price" ratio mentioned by Raygun. I'll decide on the impact on Concealability one weapon and magazine at a time. I will remind them about the possible reliability issues, and will simply say "No" if the modification would be really bad for weapon balance -- I might even say "No" to the 100-round curved box magazine for AKs.
Solstice
QUOTE (Raygun)
Here's a page from my own experiences... My dad had a 1911 that he bought surplus in 1959 (an RIA rebuild) and later stuffed away in a closet, mag loaded (and this was a well-used GI mag). Some twenty years later, when I was about tweleve or so, we took the thing out, unloaded it, checked the ammunition (which was still good), put it back in and proceeded to shoot with nary a hiccup. We put the pistol away again, mags loaded. I didn't see that pistol again until I was 18. I took it to a local range, checked the ammo (still good), reloaded and went to town. GI mag fed like a charm. The second mag, a Colt mag that was also loaded for six years, wouldn't feed for shit. Three-points every two or three rounds (a rounded Metalform follower fixed that). I still use that GI mag today, and it works just as well as it did when I was twelve (well, as long as you're using hardball, anyway). No überspring needed. Given, it's only a seven round mag...

Come on man, your smarter than that. Your talking about a 7 round pistol mag with a totally different spring design. Don't be silly. Your comparison is almost completely invalid.
Austere Emancipator
Is mine too?
Arethusa
I'd like to point out that the canon 5¥ mags are nowhere stated to be interchangable between guns. You don't even know if pistol mags are interchangable, and you certainly shouldn't be able to slap them into LMGs without any problems. Canon may be often stupid for reasons passing understanding, but I'd give it that much credit.

Anyway, 5¥ a piece is pretty dumb, but I think it was mainly done to foster action movie style slap-the-mag-release-and-toss-in-a-new-mag reloading. Same goes for Smartlink and its free action mag release, which, again, makes little to no fucking sense if you want to play realistically.
kevyn668
Arethusa Posted on Jan 22 2004, 07:23 PM
  I'd like to point out that the canon 5¥ mags are nowhere stated to be interchangable between guns. You don't even know if pistol mags are interchangable, and you certainly shouldn't be able to slap them into LMGs without any problems. Canon may be often stupid for reasons passing understanding, but I'd give it that much credit.

What are you talking about?? Clarity is your friend.

Anyway, 5¥ a piece is pretty dumb, but I think it was mainly done to foster action movie style slap-the-mag-release-and-toss-in-a-new-mag reloading. Same goes for Smartlink and its free action mag release, which, again, makes little to no fucking sense if you want to play realistically.

Well, neither does wired reflexes, but thats a different story. So how does it not make sense? Do you have a problem suspending your disbelief?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (kevyn668)
So how does it not make sense?

The reason why I think it doesn't make sense is that releasing the mag on just about any firearm should be a Free Action anyway. Try as you might, putting more than 0.2 seconds of thought or action into releasing the magazine of any decent pistol is darn hard. On an assault rifle, you often have to move your full arm for at least a whopping 4", which might take as much as 0.3 or even 0.4 seconds. Overall, the action takes a fraction of the time it takes to "Fall Prone" and be ready to act again.

Putting the released magazine back to a magazine pouch takes ages, however.

What are you talking about?

I'm pretty sure he's saying that, even by canon, you aren't allowed to switch magazines between different weapons. The intent of the rules most likely was that you aren't allowed to switch magazines between different weapon types (Light Pistol to Heavy Pistol, for example), nor between weapons with different magazine capacities (Ares Predator to Browning Max-Power).
Xirces
Hmm. I always read it that ammo was interchangeable by weapon type (Light Pistol, SMG, whatever), but that clips were weapon specific (Predactor, Lightfire, SCK Model 100). Just kind of seemed to make sense.
Austere Emancipator
Well yeah, that'd make sense certainly. But that doesn't mean that's how the game designers meant it to work... If that happens to matter to you. You might want to allow interchangeable magazines when the weapon type, magazine capacity and maker are the same (All Ares Predators, Browning Max+Ultra, Colt Cobras, HK227s, the AKs, Mossberg CMDTs, and of course the AUG/CSL and G38).

That distinction doesn't matter much with the canon weapons, however, since there doesn't seem to be any weapons made by the same firm that are of the same type and have the same mag cap but aren't just slightly different models of the same gun.
kevyn668
Austere Emancipator Posted on Jan 22 2004, 08:22 PM
  QUOTE (kevyn668)
So how does it not make sense?

The reason why I think it doesn't make sense is that releasing the mag on just about any firearm should be a Free Action anyway. Try as you might, putting more than 0.2 seconds of thought or action into releasing the magazine of any decent pistol is darn hard. On an assault rifle, you often have to move your full arm for at least a whopping 4", which might take as much as 0.3 or even 0.4 seconds. Overall, the action takes a fraction of the time it takes to "Fall Prone" and be ready to act again.

Putting the released magazine back to a magazine pouch takes ages, however.

ohhh, well when you put it that way....I thought he meant the whole "mental command" thing didn't make sense. I was prepared to roll out the rigger argument. But your explanation clears it up.

What are you talking about?

I'm pretty sure he's saying that, even by canon, you aren't allowed to switch magazines between different weapons. The intent of the rules most likely was that you aren't allowed to switch magazines between different weapon types (Light Pistol to Heavy Pistol, for example), nor between weapons with different magazine capacities (Ares Predator to Browning Max-Power).

Yeah, I got that much. I just didn't know whose post he was referring to. I'm still not sure, to tell you the truth. I was thinking tanka's:
Yeah, I kind of caught that with kevyn's post. My brain isn't working right now because I just finished up a nice drone that should be fun to toy with.

On topic: I do find it silly that a clip for any gun that uses a clip is 5 nuyen, no matter the size. So suddenly I can slap on in my Tiffany Self-Defender, or throw it in my HMG, and they'll use the right amount of rounds both times.

Very, very silly.

But I'm pretty sure tanka was being sarcastic.

Tanka
Actually, no. It's very silly (if not outright stupid) that, for the most part, that's what people think. A few players I ran with tried that stunt because they were out of ammo, so they thought that, since both guns used clips, they could interchange them with no forethought about clip sizes.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (tanka)
since both guns used [box magazines], they could interchange them with no forethought about [magazine] sizes.

I really wish SR makers would've bothered to get that right...
Tanka
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (tanka)
since both guns used [box magazines], they could interchange them with no forethought about [magazine] sizes.

I really wish SR makers would've bothered to get that right...

Picky, picky!

It gets the idea across, and people don't have to have a huge understanding of guns to say "I pull out a <correct type of ammuntion loading facilitator> and slam it into my gun."

And it also eases the GM's worries so they don't have to remind the player that the magazine they just loaded isn't the right kind of magazine after all.

It was more of an "ease of use" thing than a "mechanically correct" thing, I think.
Austere Emancipator
Why is "magazine" a harder word for people to understand than "clip"? "Box magazine" wouldn't be required, I only added "box" so the people who've gotten their firearms-knowledge from SR wouldn't confuse it with an "internal magazine". A "clip" could simply be renamed "magazine" and an "internal magazine" could be renamed just "internal". No problems.
Tanka
Not everybody is supremely intelligent. Some people, yes. As a general consensus, RPers are mainly average to above average. However, there are those that aren't as intelligent and may not get what the difference is unless there was a difference in words.

And as I said, it looks like an "ease of use" issue because people are used to a box magazine being referred to as a clip due to media.
Austere Emancipator
I'm not willing to believe that people in general are so fucking moronic that they can't tell the difference between a "Removable Box Magazine" and an "Internal Magazine", especially when former would be referred to as "magazine" and the latter as "internal".

Although this seems a lost battle, since even Merriam-Webster now says under clip (noun):
2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles;
also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
Tanka
Like I said: media inspired terminology. It's about a fruitless a battle as trying to tell PETA activists that animals do not, in fact, have rights.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (tanka)
[...] animals do not, in fact, have rights.

But they do. Beating them to death is illegal, as is raping them (it's hard to argue that the sex was "consensual" after all). Or at least it is in most of the civilized world, I'm not familiar with respective US laws. However, a clip is clearly not nor has it ever been a magazine. It's as though medias started calling PCs 16-bit gaming consoles.

The battle may have been lost, but the fighting isn't over as long as I can RANT!
Lindt
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (tanka)
[...] animals do not, in fact, have rights.

But they do. Beating them to death is illegal, as is raping them (it's hard to argue that the sex was "consensual" after all). Or at least it is in most of the civilized world, I'm not familiar with respective US laws. However, a clip is clearly not nor has it ever been a magazine. It's as though medias started calling PCs 16-bit gaming consoles.

The battle may have been lost, but the fighting isn't over as long as I can RANT!

Is this a record? Murder, beastility, blashphmey, guns, and redneck law all in one rant? wow
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012