Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: External Smartlink
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Regiment
Heh, just curious, in these days of smartlink contacts with a dozen other options included... how big is an external smartlink?
Also, How fast would it be to calibrate to a new weapon? or how easy would it be to knock off of a weapon?

Just idle curiosities
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Regiment @ Jul 8 2009, 07:09 PM) *
Heh, just curious, in these days of smartlink contacts with a dozen other options included... how big is an external smartlink?
Also, How fast would it be to calibrate to a new weapon? or how easy would it be to knock off of a weapon?

Just idle curiosities

It's not as big as the current-day "land-warrior" bits of kit, but it's not a small item either. Keep in mind, in order to be able to do things like use DNI to drop the clip or switch modes, it has to tie pretty solidly into the receiver of the weapon. Along the same lines, to read the clip and temperature of the barrel, all supposed abilities of a Smartgun? I always figured it was a semi-permanently mounted "accessory". As for concealability, I would say a penalty of 1. (Oh, I haven't seen anything official on the concealability of a silencer, either, but I would say penalty of 2 there.)

Did that approximately hit your question?
Regiment
Mostly... was kinda thinking about what would happen to calibration if you put one on a revolver and then used it to beat someone silly...
hobgoblin
I dont think it has been specified. But as it can fit on a light pistol, i suspect its not that large.

btw, the mount/dismount time is given somewhere, and should hint at its "permanency".
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Regiment @ Jul 8 2009, 07:14 PM) *
Mostly... was kinda thinking about what would happen to calibration if you put one on a revolver and then used it to beat someone silly...

Well, that's just it: as a piece of electronics it can accept up to four (4) modification "slots" and you could pay to give the external electronics "melee hardening" for one of those slots. Then it's no longer an issue. Those same slots could add a better camera, telescoptic optics, SkinLink or EMP Hardening just to name a couple options. Otherwise, there's a chance you will break the think (like hitting somebody with your average 'link).

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 8 2009, 07:19 PM) *
I dont think it has been specified. But as it can fit on a light pistol, i suspect its not that large.

btw, the mount/dismount time is given somewhere, and should hint at its "permanency".

Yes, but I would have to say that's for the external portion, if you're being at ALL realistic. The internal parts are a diferent puppy, or how else did you want to have the unit to come up with all that data/flexibility? The "external" portion is probably easy enough to remove and reattach, but... sorry, the guts should take a while longer, regardless of what is says in the book. (Now, if you say that you get the +2 aim bonus but not the other DNI related goodies or ammo count, then sure, have fun with it.)
hobgoblin
Could be that it makes use of some kind of diagnostic port, like what one find on cars today...
Kerenshara
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 8 2009, 08:17 PM) *
Could be that it makes use of some kind of diagnostic port, like what one find on cars today...

Yeah, I considered that, but then the weapon's already 2/3 of the way to being smart, right? Then why the egregious expense of an integral SmartLink? If all the basics are already in place (like a servo to eject the clip, and some kind of sensor, and the required hand-off capability in the clip in order to report magazine status, and probes for temperature in the barrel and... yeah, all of that), it should be relatively simple to stuff in the relatively small extra bits of gear (central processor and camera, essentially) which shouldn't cost the full 100% of weapon base cost. THAT's why I feel the way I do on the issue.
hobgoblin
probes can be there from the factory, so that anyone can pop it in a reader after use and see fatigue status.

trigger and clip release could be replaced or added to during fitting(they are externally accessible after all), and ammo counter could be rfid based or something wink.gif (maybe read of a sensor reading tention in the spring somehow?)
the_real_elwood
I've always figured that an external smartlink is roughly the size of a current medium-magnification rifle scope. Temperature and stress sensors to monitor the weapon are already tiny using present-day technology, and assuming Shadowrun levels of technology, you could have a fairly small implementation of flexible smart materials to activate things like the magazine release and firing selector/safety.

I also wouldn't think it's the kind of thing that could get knocked out of alignment by banging it over someone's head either, but your mileage may vary with that.
Regiment
Heh, any of it works, was just looking to carry around a couple externals in case I pick up a better rifle than what I'm carring at the moment. (Our GM wanted to start a beginner style campaign with a max availability of 6) so finding better than my m23 is likely to be pretty easy.
ZeroPoint
Ammo counter is by RAW known to already be included in almost all firearms. Usually in the form of a digital readout. As is wireless capability (SR4A pg316). That to me says it already has a really simple brain included. I would imagine an external smartlink accessory simply plugs into the already existing brain, only really adding barrel integrity sensors (which may also already be included) and clip ejection system, safety switch, and firing selection change system (which would require some dis-assembly, but overall could be as simple as replacing a few components with *smart* parts). The Smartlink's main function is as the human AR interface and providing more functionality to the already existing computer.
TheOOB
At the very least I imagine you have to take the gun apart and attach a few components, the main unit will be the camera, but you can't make a gun fireable by wi-fi without a little modding.
Stingray
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Jul 9 2009, 05:04 AM) *
I've always figured that an external smartlink is roughly the size of a current medium-magnification rifle scope. Temperature and stress sensors to monitor the weapon are already tiny using present-day technology, and assuming Shadowrun levels of technology, you could have a fairly small implementation of flexible smart materials to activate things like the magazine release and firing selector/safety.

I also wouldn't think it's the kind of thing that could get knocked out of alignment by banging it over someone's head either, but your mileage may vary with that.

..Like RL Glock's have rails under their barrel where small flashlight can be attached, i would say External Smartlink
would be 3 inches long and half-inch wide, (like small battery)
KCKitsune
OT: I would like to know why the Smartlink vision enhancement is necessary?

I mean everyone already carries around a commlink, and most everyone either has cybereyes or has vision enhancing eye ware with a displaylink. So since the hardware in the gun does almost everything except ballistic calculations, why can't you just have someone create a rating 1 program that you run on your commlink and that interfaces with your displaylink.
Meatbag
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 9 2009, 10:25 AM) *
OT: I would like to know why the Smartlink vision enhancement is necessary?

I mean everyone already carries around a commlink, and most everyone either has cybereyes or has vision enhancing eye ware with a displaylink. So since the hardware in the gun does almost everything except ballistic calculations, why can't you just have someone create a rating 1 program that you run on your commlink and that interfaces with your displaylink.

It's a plot by Browning to keep the Ultra-Power from being utterly crushed by the Ares Predator, obviously.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Meatbag @ Jul 9 2009, 05:54 AM) *
It's a plot by Browning to keep the Ultra-Power from being utterly crushed by the Ares Predator, obviously.

Except Browning could make their Ultra-Power a smartgun. It's smaller than a Predator and therefore should be easier to conceal.
Regiment
You know, I've read that a lot... but I haven't ever seen a RAW source that gives it a bonus... am I blind? or are we all just going by the text description as to that?
Zaranthan
I've always said that, despite computing power being cheaper than dirt, a Smartlink still needs a real-time available graphics processor to relay information to the user. If your commlink decides to process a text message before your ballistic data, you could have a real problem. The time may seem infinitesimal, but combat is beyond fast.
Jackstand
In third edition and before it was more concealable than the Predator. I don't know that there's any difference, though, nowadays.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Jul 9 2009, 03:34 AM) *
Ammo counter is by RAW known to already be included in almost all firearms. Usually in the form of a digital readout. As is wireless capability (SR4A pg316). That to me says it already has a really simple brain included. I would imagine an external smartlink accessory simply plugs into the already existing brain, only really adding barrel integrity sensors (which may also already be included) and clip ejection system, safety switch, and firing selection change system (which would require some dis-assembly, but overall could be as simple as replacing a few components with *smart* parts). The Smartlink's main function is as the human AR interface and providing more functionality to the already existing computer.

I went back and read that paragraph (thank you for the precise cite), and lo and behold, something DID happen in the preceeding 6-8 years since the last canon products (3rd ed).

OK, in order. Fine, you have a clip that reads out, and wireless (forgot my wireless panties *groan* where's my zapper?). That doesn't necessarily mean there's any meaninful computational power on board. It's things like those "barrel integrity sensors" that I am unsure would be a part of the gun to begin with; It's a bit more complex than you might think. You in a way make my point for me about swapping out "smart parts" though, even if as somebody else pointed out, the springs and catches could be smart materials. Since there's a lot of disagreement where the brains are (base gun, smart link on the weapon, smart link 'ware), let's focus on the important parts: the main piece that (in theory) ties it all together is relatively compact, but significantly noticable (I think that's agreed based on what I have read so far) hunk of gear that itself can be added or removed (say, for concealability) relatively easily, but that the FIRST time, at least SOME Armorer skill would be necessary to swap out for "smart" parts or install suplemental sensors to enable all the useful secondary functions of the SmartLink.

So, could you slap the accessory on an un-modded weapon? I think so. Would you get to use the neato features immediately? Nope. I think I could live with that interpretation. Will that work for you?

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Jul 9 2009, 03:51 AM) *
At the very least I imagine you have to take the gun apart and attach a few components, the main unit will be the camera, but you can't make a gun fireable by wi-fi without a little modding.

Pretty much what was said above, but I especially like that last part. Of ALL the "extra" functionality on a SmartGun, that's the big one.

Jaid
so i got tired of waiting for someone else to go actually do what was suggested earlier and look up the smartlink for rules on installing it. turns out it is an armory + logic (4, 1 hour) test to install a smartlink, meaning it's 1-2 hours for a reasonably skilled person to install, longer for people who don't know what they're doing. this strongly implies (to me at least) that the smartgun does indeed require that you swap out parts. probably the only external part is the camera. which is more-or-less what seems to be the consensus, but it could have been reached quite some time ago if you just did what hobgoblin said in the first place...
Regiment
Heh, you know, I think I've read that entry 3 or 4 times and didn't once think of it when I thought of the question... too much info loaded in my too small memory capacity of a brain.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 9 2009, 04:43 PM) *
so i got tired of waiting for someone else to go actually do what was suggested earlier and look up the smartlink for rules on installing it. turns out it is an armory + logic (4, 1 hour) test to install a smartlink, meaning it's 1-2 hours for a reasonably skilled person to install, longer for people who don't know what they're doing. this strongly implies (to me at least) that the smartgun does indeed require that you swap out parts. probably the only external part is the camera. which is more-or-less what seems to be the consensus, but it could have been reached quite some time ago if you just did what hobgoblin said in the first place...

We all thank you for doing the legwork (I've been at work, so I can post a bit - notice they're shorter than my usual? - but looking up references is a little limited at times) and getting us the RAW answer. The rest of the comentary probably would have happened anyhow simply asking why it takes so long to install it.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Jul 9 2009, 03:25 PM) *
I've always said that, despite computing power being cheaper than dirt, a Smartlink still needs a real-time available graphics processor to relay information to the user. If your commlink decides to process a text message before your ballistic data, you could have a real problem. The time may seem infinitesimal, but combat is beyond fast.

Unless of course, you're running the software have real-time priority in the program queue. In fact, if you're running Windows, do this to see how easy it is to do... and this is in Windows!!!

1. Start the task manager
  2. click on the "Processes" tab
  3. right click on a program
  4. go to "Set Priority" and set it to "Real Time"
  5. Profit!!!
toolbox
Yeah, I've always thought that if a technomancer can thread a smartlink as a complex form, then it should be possible to run one on a commlink as well (assuming the presence of all required hardware, natch). And a shadowrunner interested in doing so would presumably be able to get it running in a functional manner.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (toolbox @ Jul 9 2009, 11:42 PM) *
Yeah, I've always thought that if a technomancer can thread a smartlink as a complex form, then it should be possible to run one on a commlink as well (assuming the presence of all required hardware, natch). And a shadowrunner interested in doing so would presumably be able to get it running in a functional manner.

That was exactly what I was thinking. If the hardware is there, then the software is "easy".

Ravor
I've always figured that software in the Sixth World is always set to run in "Real Time" mode by default. And personally I figure that part of the smartlink cyber/equipment mod is making sure that the connection relays between you and your firearm never, ever drops or gets corrupted. If it can fit onto a pair of glasses (I refuse to talk about contacts.) then it can't really be very big but I don't think I'd want the computer that is talking to my gun to be doing anything except talking to my gun.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jul 10 2009, 06:17 AM) *
I've always figured that software in the Sixth World is always set to run in "Real Time" mode by default. And personally I figure that part of the smartlink cyber/equipment mod is making sure that the connection relays between you and your firearm never, ever drops or gets corrupted. If it can fit onto a pair of glasses (I refuse to talk about contacts.) then it can't really be very big but I don't think I'd want the computer that is talking to my gun to be doing anything except talking to my gun.

That's fine for you. I have a Chaos Mage with cyber eyes/ears/left hand... with goodies built in (all alpha 'ware) that are clustered together and then slaved to my commlink. My 'Link has Encryption 6 & Firewall 6. I also have an Agent running Analyze 5 (with extra goodies) acting as IC for my 'Link. I would think my 'Link is as secure as I can make it. I would have no problem running the Smartlink Software on my cyberware cluster to help me shoot and not need the "bulky" monocle or glasses which can get knocked out of whack by me diving for cover.
Zaranthan
If you've got cybereyes, why not put the smartlink in there? It'd have all the security of the rest of your setup.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Jul 10 2009, 09:04 AM) *
If you've got cybereyes, why not put the smartlink in there? It'd have all the security of the rest of your setup.

Because being a mage means that I could have better eyes (rating 3) or my current rating and cyber ears (rating 1). Also Smartlink is so LARGE when it comes to capacity. I mean I could get Vision Enhancement 3 or Smartlink. I think that it is ridiculous in the extreme when almost all of the hardware is in the gun. Hell, why not have the computer and the software in the weapon itself and let it display in the user's displaylink.
Zaranthan
I was referring to the fact that you should probably have room.

Eyes R3: 12 Cap
1 Flare Compensation
2 Low-Light
3 Smartlink
2 Thermographic
2 R2 Enhancement
2 Magnification

The only other options are Retinal Duplication and Ocular Drone. What exactly are you DOING with those eyes?
toolbox
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 10 2009, 01:43 PM) *
Because being a mage means that I could have better eyes (rating 3) or my current rating and cyber ears (rating 1).

QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Jul 11 2009, 05:32 PM) *
Eyes R3: 12 Cap
1 Flare Compensation
2 Low-Light
3 Smartlink
2 Thermographic
2 R2 Enhancement
2 Magnification

The only other options are Retinal Duplication and Ocular Drone. What exactly are you DOING with those eyes?

I think his point is that he doesn't have R3 eyes; he has R1 eyes and ears instead. As a mage, he doesn't want to take the Essence hit to upgrade to R3.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (toolbox @ Jul 12 2009, 09:13 AM) *
I think his point is that he doesn't have R3 eyes; he has R1 eyes and ears instead. As a mage, he doesn't want to take the Essence hit to upgrade to R3.

Yeah, but you still lose the full magic point, even if you only lose .4 Essence from teh low level Eyes and Ears... Why not get the Full Package and fill up that Full point of Essence, at least make it useful since you are not going to benefit magically from the parital Essence Remaining...
Regiment
Probably has the rest of the point of essence already tied up under the current grade.

As well, I can understand the logic of putting in things like enhancement 3 in the eyes, and smartlink in glasses rather than having less enhancement.

Granted, it lowers pools if someone takes your shades, but I would be willing to wait for beta or delta to go to eyes r4 in the interim.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (toolbox @ Jul 12 2009, 11:13 AM) *

Actually it is rating 2 eyes with Lowlight, thermo, vision enhancement 3, and flare comp.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 12 2009, 11:26 PM) *
Yeah, but you still lose the full magic point, even if you only lose .4 Essence from teh low level Eyes and Ears... Why not get the Full Package and fill up that Full point of Essence, at least make it useful since you are not going to benefit magically from the parital Essence Remaining...

The rest is taken up by Synaptic Booster 1, muscle augmention* and a cyberhand. I have used EXACTLY 1 point of Essence. Unless I want to lose another point of Essence then I had better go with Beta or better 'ware.

* == as soon as I get the money that's getting ripped out for a Trauma Dampener.
Regiment
Wow, was I actually paying enough attention to get something right?

Woo! go me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012