Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charcoalgrin
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
k1tsune
I was just wondering what people knew about the dragon Charcoalgrin in relation to Shadowrun. I know what's been said in the Book of Dragons from Earthdawn, but I'd heard that she was thought to be "still around."
I can't even find a good physical description of her!
Help would be appreciated. ^_^
k1tsune
And I most certainly should have posted this in the "Dragons" subforum, except I was being an idiot.
FlakJacket
Go bug AnHi. That's his gig. smile.gif But I don't think she's ever been mentioned. Of course, that's not to say she's not out there lurking about in the shadows as it were.
There are people who think that she is Hestaby or Orange Queen. I'm not sure if that is true or not.

I have returned!
This is stupid of me for not placing what evidence I have,

Charcoalgrin was considered an adult dragon in the Earthdawn era, this could allow her to grow into a great dragon by the sixth age.

She also is somewhat isolated which seems very much the same as Hestaby.

There are other things, however I would like to also hear what others have to say, and I have to look my other things up so that I can say them right.
Ancient History
Not much to say. Her nickname comes from a black swath around her mouth, during the Scourge she laired in the Caucavic mountains, her sire was possibly active during the previous Age of magic.
Phaeton
...Sorry to be an off-topic idiot, but k1tsune?...Your sig reminds me way too much of our group's resident Cat Shaman...I burst out silently laughing when I first read it. rotfl.gif
k1tsune
What's her base color?
Ancient History
I don't believe it has ever been printed. Hell, I can't quite remember where I heard the thing about her nickname. 's been a while.
k1tsune
QUOTE (Phaeton)
...Sorry to be an off-topic idiot, but k1tsune?...Your sig reminds me way too much of our group's resident Cat Shaman...I burst out silently laughing when I first read it. rotfl.gif

Yeah. It was a random comment that popped up when one of my players was picking a totem for his shaman.
k1tsune
Hm.. "Charcoalgrin" and "Dunkelzahn." I know that they're different dragons, but I wonder if there's a reason they took similar names?
Phaeton
Probably. Although I don't really question dragons or the like. I play the mundane, cybered, non-Awakened aspect of Shadowrun, and only recently have contemplated seriously making a magic user of any sort.
FlakJacket
Um, similar? Dunkelzahn is German for Darktooth. Not quite sure how the two compare. question.gif
k1tsune
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Um, similar? Dunkelzahn is German for Darktooth. Not quite sure how the two compare. question.gif

Well... They both refer to... you know. Dark teeth. Kinda.
Phaeton
...Brother and sister?
k1tsune
My brain went dead. What was Dunkie's old name?
FlakJacket
Mountainshadow IIRC.
k1tsune
QUOTE (Phaeton)
...Brother and sister?

Dunkie's waaay older than her. And blood relations don't mean much in dragon culture. Ohh. But if he was her sire (the Great Dragon who raised her)? Hm..
cykotek
it's my understanding that Dunkelzahn (i.e., darktooth) was the name of Mountainshadow's human aid during the ED time period. It's possible that the whole Darktooth-Charcoalgrin similarity is nothing more than coincidence when that is considered.

Though why a great dragon would take the name of a human servant dead these past thousand+ years is another question.
Nath
QUOTE (cykotek)
it's my understanding that Dunkelzahn (i.e., darktooth) was the name of Mountainshadow's human aid during the ED time period. It's possible that the whole Darktooth-Charcoalgrin similarity is nothing more than coincidence when that is considered.

Though why a great dragon would take the name of a human servant dead these past thousand+ years is another question.

Dark Tooth is more probably the name Dunkelzahn himself use when he goes in human form.
Ancient History
Charcoalgrin may have been raised by Mountainshadow/Dunkelzahn, but her age is such she could also have been raised by a dragon that was raised by Dunkelzahn that then became a Great Dragon. DUnkie's pretty damn old.
k1tsune
Yeah. That's true. She was "just an adult" at the end of the Earthdawn era...
I think the "earthdawn age" is somewhere a bit beyond half through the forth age. Still quite high magicly.

I'm trying to remember if there is much of a true understanding how long an age is. I know there has been some speculation. Even in the Sourcebooks, just trying to primarily figure out which ones. I think it was in Aztlan, where they were talking about the Mayan and Aztek calenders.
Ancient History
An age is roughly 5,000 years, with the Scourge starting approximately at the 2,100 mark and lasting until about the 2,900 mark. More or less.
FlakJacket
Although didn't the Therans mess about with how long it lasted last time or something? Granted it probably wouldn't have much relevance for this discussion though.
Herald of Verjigorm
Some excessive Theran magics tried to sustain the mana level between "death roams" and "physical drain on everything".

That may have disrupted the cycle. GGD and other early use of gratuitous magic also may have provided some disruption. The 6th age may be zooming into high magic faster than any age since the cycle was generated. No solid declaration of that though.
k1tsune
Well... There have been quite a few cannon sources for those connected with the spirit world being panicked because "It's happening too soon..."
mfb
only because, as i understand it, stupid humans keep trying to make it happen ahead of schedule. unless i'm very badly mistaken, dunk put an end to that sort of nonsense in the dragonheart trilogy; the scourge should be back on schedule.
Kagetenshi
Though it will only get easier to disrupt the schedule as time goes by...

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
If the Theran rituals compounded with the acts of massive magic in the sixth age, then Dunkie's efforts will only buy a few decades. A century or two if no one else tries any big magic.
mfb
i don't see why. i don't see how a few rituals, however powerful, could advance 'the schedule' by more than two millennia.
Kagetenshi
Tell that to Oscuro.

~J
Ancient History
The Horrors need a certain level of magic (fairly high) to enter our plane, and another level of magic (lower. Way lower if they just want to kick around the astral.) to sustain themselves.

Darke's whole bag of tricks depended on using the mana spike from the Great Ghost Dance, which was (give or take) 1,000 years more advanced than should have been performed, and created a spike accordingly. His rituals used that Spike to build a bridge toward the Horrors, just as they built a bridge toward the Spike.

Now, no more Spike. We should be fine, except for a few that get summoned early and maybe a bit earlier around Tir na nOg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012