Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Micro Transceiver
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Maxwell
Hi there,

if I buy a rating 6 micro transceiver, what device rating does it have? The rules are just talkin about a signal rating of 6, but what about respons, firewall and system.

And what can I do with it? Can I upload an encryption programm so that nobody can alter the datastream or listen to our communication?
Stingray
QUOTE (Maxwell @ Aug 3 2009, 12:22 PM) *
Hi there,

if I buy a rating 6 micro transceiver, what device rating does it have? The rules are just talkin about a signal rating of 6, but what about respons, firewall and system.

And what can I do with it? Can I upload an encryption programm so that nobody can alter the datastream or listen to our communication?

"Transciver's Signal rating is equal to its Device Rating", so rating 6 Transciver is rating 6 device, no responce,firewall
or system..I am not sure but i think it can be slaved to your commlink and sharing it's responce,system and firewall..
Maxwell
But as any other device in SR4 it must have device rating. What is it then?
Stingray
QUOTE (Maxwell @ Aug 3 2009, 02:59 PM) *
But as any other device in SR4 it must have device rating. What is it then?

..If (?) slaving to the commlink it uses commlinks signal rating as device rating.(IMO)
otakusensei
First thing, slaving a device does not change it's device rating.

According to SR4A, the MT has a signal rating equal to it's device rating. That would be for purposes of determining the range at which two units could speak with each other. Yes, you could load an agent on to the node to act as IC and run encryption, and I believe you can run encryption directly.

Because it is a device, and not a commlink, you cannot take comm calls on it or do any of the fun things a commlink can do. Effectively, it's only ever going to do what's written on the tin. To secure it you're better off slaving it to your commlink. You might also want to look into ECCM if you're running encryption as well. A dedicated Electronic Warfare agent is always a good idea if you can swing it.
Maxwell
That means that a rating 6 microtransceiver has a signal rating of 6 and also respons, firewall and system rating of 6. Is that right?
deek
QUOTE (Maxwell @ Aug 3 2009, 11:47 AM) *
That means that a rating 6 microtransceiver has a signal rating of 6 and also respons, firewall and system rating of 6. Is that right?

I believe that is the correct, but you can't run a persona, load programs or agents to it.
DWC
QUOTE (Maxwell @ Aug 3 2009, 10:47 AM) *

That is correct. It is treated as having a 6 in each of its' matrix attributes. It will have limits in what you can do with it (set by the GM), but by definition will have a 6 in Response, System, and Firewall.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012