Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Infected + Technomancer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Solzak
Is there any positive quality or errata in another book that will let you be a Infected Technomancer?
I was really hoping there was something that let me do it, but obviously the Infected rules in the Runner's Companion says "A character with any Infected quality cannot take any quality that grants Resonance (and loses them if he previously possessed them)."

So I was hoping that it has been mentioned in another book i'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help.
Andinel
Infected creatures always have Magic, and as the core book states, Magic and Resonance are mutually exclusive. So no, there is no way you can be an infected technomancer, at least until something gets released that contradicts that.
Medicineman
Does that mean that a technomancer can't get infected ?
Or will he loose his Resonance ?

with a curious Dance
Medicienman
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Aug 5 2009, 10:32 AM) *

with a curious Dance
Medicienman

I would assume that he would simply lose his Resonance.
Cochise
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Aug 5 2009, 04:32 PM) *

with a curious Dance
Medicienman

Reread the quoted text from runner's companion in the thread opener ...

A character with any Infected quality cannot take any quality that grants Resonance (and loses them if he previously possessed them).
Neraph
QUOTE (Andinel @ Aug 5 2009, 03:02 AM) *
Infected creatures always have Magic, and as the core book states, Magic and Resonance are mutually exclusive. So no, there is no way you can be an infected technomancer, at least until something gets released that contradicts that.

Remember, we're here to tell a good story. It is completely against RAW, but in the spirit of fun, I think it should be allowed. Once.

Remember, the shadows are evolving.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Aug 5 2009, 06:45 AM) *
I would assume that he would simply lose his Resonance.

Ohh good God. Why do I imagine my group killing all infected with extreme prejudice now.

Thanks!

BlueMax
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 5 2009, 01:45 PM) *
Remember, we're here to tell a good story. It is completely against RAW, but in the spirit of fun, I think it should be allowed. Once.

I say "Screw RAW! It just gets in the way!"
Thank you Mr. Creative Freedom...huzzah!
Stahlseele
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Aug 5 2009, 07:47 PM) *
Ohh good God. Why do I imagine my group killing all infected with extreme prejudice now.

Thanks!

BlueMax

Just curious, why would they ever refrain from doing so anyway? O.o
As soon as i get pointed at something that looks like it was recently bathed in bleach i will simply not let go of the trigger until i have to reload. which i won't be doing. i will simply switch out the weapon and continue shooting untill the second guns is emtpy too. THEN i will start running and reloading.
McAllister
I mean... vampires/nosferatu/banshees/goblins/DNQ/wendigos actually have to try pretty hard to infect you. And in any event, remember that the best defense against Infected is not looking tasty. Elf changeling chicks with tailored pheromones and Glamour beware.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 5 2009, 10:52 AM) *
As soon as i get pointed at something that looks like it was recently bathed in bleach i will simply not let go of the trigger until i have to reload. which i won't be doing. i will simply switch out the weapon and continue shooting untill the second guns is emtpy too. THEN i will start running and reloading.

Legality.

Some of them infected folk are protected now.

Morality.

They are all ex-cops and believe they still need to protect those who need help.

However, self-preservation... preservation of powers... those will override all that noise.

BlueMax
/some still think they are cops.
TheOOB
You just gotta wait until the resonance version of HMHVV pops up.
Stahlseele
Toxic Technomancers with Sacrificing . . yeah . . i'm afraid it will happen sooner or later . . Someone WILL built Ancient Histories Bone-Machine
Cochise
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 5 2009, 07:52 PM) *

Because you intend to become an immortal (age related) vampiric pawn who is addicted to Renfield and thus is the means for his "master" to eternally live as well ... oh ... and no longer having problems with installing endless amounts of cyber- and bio ... all just because the Renfield-rules are pretty much as fubared as the infection rate of HMHVV-II and HMHVV-III.

But that has nothing to do with vampiric Technomancers smile.gif
Stahlseele
Yeah, and i think we had that discussion on the official german board too ^^
LurkerOutThere
Well at the risk of contradiction the all powerful raw. Dark Father one of Mirage's Otaku was a ghoul so from a "logic" standpoint there should be no problem with at least ghoul Technomancers. Although ghouls seem to be the least magical of the infected so your taste may vary
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Aug 6 2009, 01:56 AM) *
Well at the risk of contradiction the all powerful raw. Dark Father one of Mirage's Otaku was a ghoul so from a "logic" standpoint there should be no problem with at least ghoul Technomancers. Although ghouls seem to be the least magical of the infected so your taste may vary

From a Logic standpoint that indicates that an Infected can be an Otaku. Technomancers are different. Apply the use of handwavium here.

I dunno, the transformation from normal Metatype to Infected screws around with the natural Bioelectrical Field of the person, screwing up their powers. Changes in brain chemistry, the reorganisation of the nervis sytem. Lots of other things that sound scientific. cyber.gif
LurkerOutThere
That that depends if you think technomancers are not created by the same phenomena as the Otaku, which I don't.

Edited to remove the overtones of Jerk that were not meant to be there.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Aug 6 2009, 02:04 AM) *
That implies that you think technomances are not created by the same phenomena as the Otaku, which I don't.

Not really. Just that the process is different.
LurkerOutThere
I guess that gets to the nuts and bolts of the Otaku/Technomancers then. Personally I believe the only thing different between Otaku and Technomancers is the stiumli that causes their break through.
Doc Byte
Wasn't there a little retconing concerning TM and Otaku?
toolbox
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Aug 5 2009, 05:22 PM) *
Wasn't there a little retconing concerning TM and Otaku?

Can you be a bit more specific?
Doc Byte
Somewhere at the back of my mind a voice is telling me Otaku where declared to having been TMs all along. But I don't know where I picked this up. Might have been inofficially.
Jaid
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Aug 5 2009, 08:39 PM) *
Somewhere at the back of my mind a voice is telling me Otaku where declared to having been TMs all along. But I don't know where I picked this up. Might have been inofficially.

not that i've heard. in fact, there are canon characters who were otaku who are not technomancers.
toolbox
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Aug 5 2009, 05:39 PM) *

Well, I'm hardly an expert on canon, but I don't remember seeing anything like that. Otaku were tools of Deus; TMs seem to be something else, with the Emergence analogous to the Awakening. It might be a derived phenomenon or just something similar, but I don't think they're actually the same thing.
LurkerOutThere
The Otaku thing is sucha mess but long as the short, not all were tools of Deus. They appeared to be a "naturally" occurring phenomenon from exposing young children to the matrix. The AI's could speed/guarantee the process with Mirage even shown to make Otaku older then the young years and able to retain their powers past fading. The force that actually created Otaku outside of Dues and Mirage's meddling was hinted at being some deeper force the "resonance" which just to muddy the waters could have been Mirage doing so unintentionally/subconciously before it went fully into active mode after the fall of Fuchi.
HappyDaze
I always thought of otaku as the 'spike babies' of the Emergence.
Neraph
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Aug 5 2009, 08:39 PM) *

That sounds like it came from some of the shadowtalk from Unwired. Maybe Augmentation.
Solzak
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 5 2009, 06:45 PM) *

Wish i could convince my GM of this...
I really wanted to play a Dryad Banshee, and Technomancer would have been icing on the cake smile.gif

Dangit!
Mirilion
If you go ahead with the comparison between magic and resonance, perhaps you can create some sort of infected-resonant beings, instead of infected-magical. . They feed on essence, but they do it by draining essence from metahumans (or other beings with essence) connected to the matrix.
Outer physical traits shouldn't change, but the way their brain and nerves work should be different from uninfected, probably changing their mentality as well.
I'm trying to come up with specific names and ideas for these beings, and ways to make them different from dissonant technomancers.
LurkerOutThere
Yes because that's all the technological side needs, more chaining to the magical side.

For the record I believe the technomancer provisions on the infected is game balance over logic. I wouldn't allow a character to start that way but I wouldn't strip their resonance abilities from them just because they are infected. However I would rule that they don't have the astral site abilities as their perceptions of altered planes are already cluttered by the matrix perceptions. But that is of course home brew.
Ravor
Personally I figured it was because the infected needed their Magic to survive and Resonance/Magic can not occur in the same person.
McAllister
Why am I still surprised when a thread is started with a simple question ("can you be infected and a technomancer") with a simple answer ("no, never") and it goes to two pages? You'd think I'd learn after "glasses v. goggles" topped page 7.
Cochise
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 8 2009, 04:09 AM) *
Personally I figured it was because the infected needed their Magic to survive and Resonance/Magic can not occur in the same person.

The problem with that outlook is that in previous Editions infected didn't generally have "Magic" despite being awakened beings (just like a troll from a certain perspective is an awakened human) and so could technically aquire the technomancer's predecessor trait of being otaku ... There even was one ghoulish Otaku in novels IIRC:
The introduction of Magic 1 for awakened critters with powers is the reason why the exclusion of Resonance and Magic automatically affects all infected. This automatically created magic rating of 1 for otherwise not magically talented critters / beings was mechanically not the best choice, particularly if you look at the following thing:

Going by the rules an otherwise not magically active Ghoul can lose his Magic Attribute due to Essence Loss from cyber, i.e. just by getting those cyber-eyes that - according to fluff - are used to circumvent their blindness. Under the current rules that would cause him to lose only one critter power: His dual nature .. All other powers (and weaknesses) aren't lost or rather cannot be lost. So a Ghould does not need his Magic to survive and to a certain extrend it's rather dumb for a ghoul not to get cybereyes and thus lose his dual nature.
The HMHVV-I infected on the other hand do need their Magic rating to survive, but only on that strictly mechanical level that says that they lose their critter powers (in this case the "culprit" would be: Essence Drain) if their magic rating drops to zero.

For my personal taste it would have been better not to associate (critter) powers with a Magic of 1 and then infected Technomancers wouldn't be generally "impossible" from a rules perspective but only if the infected being in question really has a magician, adept or mystic adept quality.
Ravor
Aye, good points, although come on, we all know that the stories about Trogs being human once are just that stories, the fraggers are nothing more than Awakened monkeys that sometimes steal human babies!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012